Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #241
The Starter
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,417
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

They showed them all working together zone blocking Monday night and it was a thing of beauty!!!
__________________
I yearn......oh do I yearn, for a return to glory...
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #242
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,472
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Compton called up? Nice. I just hope he isn't Selvish Capers Redux.

Is he taking Griffin's spot? If so, it would appear that they are just holding what they got and going with Crawford as next man up in the defensive backfield.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #243
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,593
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Another perspective on our O-line

RGIII is vastly outperforming his offensive line
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #244
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Another perspective on our O-line

RGIII is vastly outperforming his offensive line
Good find 26, it's a strong article and analysis. I'm not convinced Mike can build a (ZBS) line that works in this division and/or era of football. The run blocking is ok, but much of that success goes back to Morris and RG3 as oppossed to the oline. And the line is garbage in pass blocking.

I think everyone is right to some degree on this issue. Those who say RG3 makes the line better are correct, but the hidden cost (hits on him) is almost as astounding as his talent. Regardless of whether the gimmick offense Mike and Kyle run can work long term against defenses, I think it's already a foregone conclusion it can not work longterm for the person actually running the offense i.e. the QB. Most QBs taking this kind of pounding don't last the season, and the data clearly proves it:

NFL Stats: by Team Category
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #245
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

...you can still make a very, very strong argument that RG3 and the Redskins are succeeding in spite of the regime, rather than because of it. Very disappointed to hear the FO (which is the same as the coach for us ) is looking to extend. There's too much coaching talent available to sacrifice your franchise QB over a few short years. Allen and Snyder should be talking to EVERYONE right now.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #246
The Starter
 
PWNED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ZOMGZZZ!!111
Age: 22
Posts: 1,153
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

how are you sacrificing your QB? id love to know someone who would come in here and put up the numbers mike and kyle have with what we currently have on offense.
__________________
143 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.
PWNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #247
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,581
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Only a moron would dismiss the offense as some flash in the pan, gimmick offense
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #248
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,364
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Good find 26, it's a strong article and analysis. I'm not convinced Mike can build a (ZBS) line that works in this division and/or era of football. The run blocking is ok, but much of that success goes back to Morris and RG3 as oppossed to the oline. And the line is garbage in pass blocking.

I think everyone is right to some degree on this issue. Those who say RG3 makes the line better are correct, but the hidden cost (hits on him) is almost as astounding as his talent. Regardless of whether the gimmick offense Mike and Kyle run can work long term against defenses, I think it's already a foregone conclusion it can not work longterm for the person actually running the offense i.e. the QB. Most QBs taking this kind of pounding don't last the season, and the data clearly proves it:

NFL Stats: by Team Category
didn't you post that link once and it was pointed out that Luck has taken 20+ more hits, and that half the qb's in the league take within 10 the same number of hit as Griffin. In other words one number doesn't prove your statement.
Here are some historical running QB's and one non runner, and their respective careers:

Cunningham played 1985-1995 (main team)
Steve Young took over from Montana in 90 played till 98
McNabb played from 1999 to 2009 (main team)
Vick 2001-2006, 2009-2011


A point of reference, Peyton Manning, a qb who we all would agree was not the mobile scrambler type played from 1999-2010, and was out a year with his neck injuries.

And of course Favre who took tons of hits and kept on playing.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #249
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,581
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Another perspective on our O-line

RGIII is vastly outperforming his offensive line
But then Pro Football Focus has them I believe in the top 10 (maybe top 15).

So the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, I suppose

Certainly RG3 has helped (in a big way) but I think it's quite frankly insulting (not addressing you here) to act like Mike, Kyle, Chris Foerster and the OL have nothing to do at all when the offense is successful. You'd have to be clueless to think that
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #250
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Ptg ^
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #251
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,364
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

and none of those qb's, except Vick maybe, played with anywhere near the protection the rules provide the qb in today's game...
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #252
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

This season, as in the 12 games we've all watched, has shown us this offense only produces consistently when RG3 is (overly) exposed to big hits from defenders running the pistol/option/etc. We've had full quarters of traditional offense without any success, hardly even a first down. Only a moron doesn't see this.

Again, the gimmicks may yield offensive production for x number of years, but anyone who thinks RG3 or any other human being can play this way for x number of years isn't qualified to procreate, drive a car, etc etc lol.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #253
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,411
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Only a moron would dismiss the offense as some flash in the pan, gimmick offense
Pretty much everyone I've heard talk about the offense this week either on ESPN or NFL radio agrees it's not a gimmick. The pistol is just a short shotgun and gives you the ability to run out of it. No gimmicks there.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #254
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,411
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
But then Pro Football Focus has them I believe in the top 10 (maybe top 15).

So the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, I suppose

Certainly RG3 has helped (in a big way) but I think it's quite frankly insulting (not addressing you here) to act like Mike, Kyle, Chris Foerster and the OL have nothing to do at all when the offense is successful. You'd have to be clueless to think that
Agreed.

Plus, we just tore up the defending champs for 200+ yards rushing in each of our meetings. I think it's safe to say the zone blocking scheme works here as far as the running game goes. Last I checked you still need holes in order to run. Is the pass pro perfect? Of course not. And this stuff with not crediting the coaches is just beyond tired. Is anyone with half a brain really buying that?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #255
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Agreed.

Plus, we just tore up the defending champs for 200+ yards rushing in each of our meetings. I think it's safe to say the zone blocking scheme works here as far as the running game goes. Last I checked you still need holes in order to run. Is the pass pro perfect? Of course not. And this stuff with not crediting the coaches is just beyond tired. Is anyone with half a brain really buying that?
We have to be very careful here. Yes the coaches get credit for the scheme (it's their scheme lol!!) but you have to give them "credit" for all the results/implications of the scheme. I'm doing that...giving credit for the whole enchilada.

I think some very, very short-sighted fans are giving credit for the offensive production and not the other implications. See?

I also think it's very short-sighted to not recognize RG3 certainly can/hopefully will flourish in a wide variety of offensive schemes/systems.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27853 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25