Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #46
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,212
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
a lot of RG3 hits that i've seen are when we do that gay option shit. Minus the panthers sack fest, we've done a real good job this year on the OL
I disagree. I watch a lot of film because im crazy, and most of his hits come from when the run from under center and shotgun but dont move the pocket. When hes rolling out or running the pistol he doesnt seem to take a lot of hits. It seems like defensive cordinators dont blitz us very often when we are in the pistol set. I think its one of the main reasons that RG3 has over 120.0 passing rating when hes blitzed.

Lineman just dont hold a very good pocket when its not moving. Oh and Morris has been shady on blitz pickups too. He usually reads wrong. Hes just not use to the slides yet.
__________________
HTTR
Redskin Fan since '88
Be friends on Twitter! @thecasualhero
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Our line has been somewhere between just ok and brilliant at times on the whole.

It is a very solid to almost great run blocking line but a poor to below average pass blocking group. Bob makes their stats look better than they should be and they aren't that good anyways.
This. I was sort of thrown off by the thread topic, especially after watching RG3 get trucked again several times in the pocket against Dallas. And that's been pretty typical all year. With a mobile QB and especially running the option you expect him to take some shots outside the pocket, but what's surprised me is how badly protection has broken down all season with when RG3 stays in the pocket.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #48
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

And like Punch said we've been lucky with injuries across the oline this season. I don't even count J Brown as a starter anymore, but what you can say is our depth is very suspect since the RT is Polumbus. Maybe the backup talent across the interior is better, but there's no way to really know.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #49
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,158
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

when you have smaller faster OL guys, guess what? they get pushed around more. that's just part of the trade off when you're not starting 5 pro bowlers.

still, morris and our TEs could really do better in blitz pickup and that'd help. I think our LT-RG are good enough though. I mean, you can't have 22 HoFers starting for you.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #50
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,014
The line is better this year more than previous because of RG3. He makes anyone look better. Trent though is playing at an all pro level IMO
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #51
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,217
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Any complaining about the offensive line, or a lack of guys who can make people miss, seems to be a point of view entirely ignorant of the most important fact: we're 7th in the league in points per game with 26.8 and second in the league in turnover margin with +24.

So whatever we lack in offensive linemen or players who can make others miss in open space, those deficiencies sure are not showing up in the stat sheet. The line has had poor moments, but the offense overall has been performing extremely well. Griffin is obviously the biggest reason for that.

So unless you think Robert Griffin will get worse, aside from RT I don't know why you'd do anything but invest heavily in defense.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #52
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,397
@ Schneed10: Strong post.

Although not stellar, our O-line has not been terrible. Rather, it has been better than merely functional and a part of the entire offense's success.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #53
Playmaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 4,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
The Skins have to continue strengthening the OL through the draft. I initially thought the defense needed the the most help but, it's more important that this team protect their greatest chance to win: RG3. After all, the best defense is a strong offense. It's funny how a couple of games made me feel like this team isn't far away from becomng a legit contender.
Well compton, gettis , and lerib are still total x - factors. Bernstine , crawford, and BW of course out there for the secondary too. But we need to draft D just because RG-3 gives us limitless potential on the other side. HTTR.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #54
Playmaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 4,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Any complaining about the offensive line, or a lack of guys who can make people miss, seems to be a point of view entirely ignorant of the most important fact: we're 7th in the league in points per game with 26.8 and second in the league in turnover margin with +24.

So whatever we lack in offensive linemen or players who can make others miss in open space, those deficiencies sure are not showing up in the stat sheet. The line has had poor moments, but the offense overall has been performing extremely well. Griffin is obviously the biggest reason for that.

So unless you think Robert Griffin will get worse, aside from RT I don't know why you'd do anything but invest heavily in defense.
As per my last post this is my point exactly .....but - our oline has dodged the injury bug. One hit could change all of that.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #55
Playmaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 42
Posts: 4,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The line is better this year more than previous because of RG3. He makes anyone look better. Trent though is playing at an all pro level IMO
Yes. TW - thankful for him.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #56
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,877
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Any complaining about the offensive line, or a lack of guys who can make people miss, seems to be a point of view entirely ignorant of the most important fact: we're 7th in the league in points per game with 26.8 and second in the league in turnover margin with +24.

So whatever we lack in offensive linemen or players who can make others miss in open space, those deficiencies sure are not showing up in the stat sheet. The line has had poor moments, but the offense overall has been performing extremely well. Griffin is obviously the biggest reason for that.

So unless you think Robert Griffin will get worse, aside from RT I don't know why you'd do anything but invest heavily in defense.
Very good point.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #57
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,217
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
As per my last post this is my point exactly .....but - our oline has dodged the injury bug. One hit could change all of that.
This is a very fair point and calls for additional investment in depth (depending on how LeRibeus is developing, which I don't think any of us knows). But we're desperate for improvement at safety and we need more pass rushers. Getting Orakpo back healthy next year is huge, but his absence this year shows how badly we need pass rushing depth. I think we need the depth there more than we need it on the offensive line.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #58
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This is a very fair point and calls for additional investment in depth (depending on how LeRibeus is developing, which I don't think any of us knows). But we're desperate for improvement at safety and we need more pass rushers. Getting Orakpo back healthy next year is huge, but his absence this year shows how badly we need pass rushing depth. I think we need the depth there more than we need it on the offensive line.
I think the o-line has gotten somewhat better just by experience and playing together. As you say we really don't know how good the rookies are but they are learning more about this offense and if guys like Compton and a couple of the others work out we may have better depth than we know. Hopefully future starters. There is no doubt about needing safety help. Meriweather showed what a difference good aggressive saftey play can make and in this defense it can make a huge difference. We can always use more pass rushers. The Giants draft them even when they don't need them because they understand how important getting pressure on the QB is. I agree with you completely Schneed. The one thing I wonder about is how well Haslett is using what we have. I expected more sacks from Jackson and wonder if it's him or is Haslett not blitzing as much from his position? Are we disquising and bringing in saftey and corner blitzes? I think we blitzed a corner in the Philly game and couldn't believe it but I don't rewatch a lot of games so it's hard to tell, or recall, how often we're doing certain things. I'm rambling now but I absolutely agree that more should be put into safety and pass rushing depth than o-line at this point. If it doesn't appear that Compton can overtake Polombus than we need a RT but not at the expense of the defense. We can score points but we sure have a hell of a time preventing getting scored on.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #59
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,102
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

The Redskins fans should give a lot of credit to offensive line coach Chris Forester. If the Redskins offensive line is good this year, it's because of the the position coach and because the offensive line have played together long enough to where they have become a great unit.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #60
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offensive Line: 2012 Unsung Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Any complaining about the offensive line, or a lack of guys who can make people miss, seems to be a point of view entirely ignorant of the most important fact: we're 7th in the league in points per game with 26.8 and second in the league in turnover margin with +24.

So whatever we lack in offensive linemen or players who can make others miss in open space, those deficiencies sure are not showing up in the stat sheet. The line has had poor moments, but the offense overall has been performing extremely well. Griffin is obviously the biggest reason for that.

So unless you think Robert Griffin will get worse, aside from RT I don't know why you'd do anything but invest heavily in defense.
What are you talking about? Sacks don't matter? It's especially concerning when you have a mobile QB who's gonna take a certain number of shots anyway, and who's already suffered a concussion this season to boot. I'm amazed at fan attitudes/reactions to the beating RG3 takes to survive our poor blocking and even turn some of those blown plays into something.

And who's to say with solid protection our offense wouldn't be top 2? Is there no difference between 7th overall and 2nd overall in points? I would guess wins could be the difference, and last I checked we haven't broken 0.500.

We agree that RT has to be upgraded, but I'm also pretty certain pass protection has to improve or the answer to your question (does RG3 get worse) won't be the one we're hoping for. He's tough as nails but so was Vick as a young player...our bodies break down.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30849 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25