Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Tragic. The Jack Pardee coaching era is one I always wanted to know more about. Can some of you old timers fill us in. What was it really like then?

Jack Pardee: Former Redskins standout, head coach gravely ill | WJLA.com
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,817
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

That's a shame. Obviously he was way before my time, but it sounds like he's lived one hell of a life.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

That's really sad to hear. Pardee was one tough hombre. Always seemed like a decent man. It's good to hear he appears to be taking it well. Condolences to his family.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,445
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

One year when I was a kid I went to Jack Pardee's football camp with Pardee, Pat Fischer, etc. Pardee seemed like a pretty cool guy to me and his camp was a good experience for me. I learned a lot from Fischer, whom I have idolized ever since.

I'm sorry that Pardee has to bear this news.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,358
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Pardee was a very stoic coach with a good heart, players liked him and respected him. Unfortunately his lack of talent on the field and old players due to George Allen having traded #1picks all the way to 1980 (Art Monk) did him in. I thought he did a decent job, one of my favorite games was a Redskins/Dallas game that the skins lost by one point in 1979 (the one that forced Riggins to retire). Overall I liked Pardee, he's a good man.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,111
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Pardee was a member of the Over The Hill Gang.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Pardee was a very stoic coach with a good heart, players liked him and respected him. Unfortunately his lack of talent on the field and old players due to George Allen having traded #1picks all the way to 1980 (Art Monk) did him in. I thought he did a decent job, one of my favorite games was a Redskins/Dallas game that the skins lost by one point in 1979 (the one that forced Riggins to retire). Overall I liked Pardee, he's a good man.
That Cowboys loss may have saved his job and changed the direction of the franchise.

Interesting article about his firing. I had no idea Dan Reeves was a possible HC. candidate here

WashingtonPost.com: Pardee Fired by Redskins
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
The Starter
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,427
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

He was also one of the junction boys. Good coach as well, if it wasnt for an Elway drive and a Reich miracle comeback he could have had the Oilers in two SB's.
__________________
I yearn......oh do I yearn, for a return to glory...
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,368
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Pardee was a very stoic coach with a good heart, players liked him and respected him. Unfortunately his lack of talent on the field and old players due to George Allen having traded #1picks all the way to 1980 (Art Monk) did him in. I thought he did a decent job, one of my favorite games was a Redskins/Dallas game that the skins lost by one point in 1979 (the one that forced Riggins to retire). Overall I liked Pardee, he's a good man.
Very sad news. I agree, he was a solid coach and a good man who just didn't have enough good players. That 79 game against Dallas seemed to carry over into the 80 season. Oddly I remember a game against San Diego in which they were heavily favored and we beat them pretty good. And guess who the OC was for San Diego?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,396
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
That Cowboys loss may have saved his job and changed the direction of the franchise.

Interesting article about his firing. I had no idea Dan Reeves was a possible HC. candidate here

WashingtonPost.com: Pardee Fired by Redskins
Huh? youve lost me there,I must have missed something in article,dont know how a loss would save his job,hell I think it cost him his job,the hangover from that loss carried over to the next yr.
Interesting tidbit from that article about him not playing Ken Houston on the day the skins honored him,bad pr move for him.Ken Houstons wife comes in the store I work at.I talk skins stuff with her,she doesnt come in that often,but if I see her I'll have to ask her about how they felt about Pardee.
She brought me one of their personal photos taken by sideline photographer of Ken tackling Walt Garrison{historic play on mnf for you youngsters}
She said he would come in and sign it but I hadnt seen him.Last time she was in she took it back and was going to take it home and get him to sign it and bring it back
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,396
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Very sad news. I agree, he was a solid coach and a good man who just didn't have enough good players. That 79 game against Dallas seemed to carry over into the 80 season. Oddly I remember a game against San Diego in which they were heavily favored and we beat them pretty good. And guess who the OC was for San Diego?
Yes very sad news indeed.Living in Houston I saw a lot of Pardee,had nothing but respect and admiration for him
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Huh? youve lost me there,I must have missed something in article,dont know how a loss would save his job,hell I think it cost him his job,the hangover from that loss carried over to the next yr.
Interesting tidbit from that article about him not playing Ken Houston on the day the skins honored him,bad pr move for him.Ken Houstons wife comes in the store I work at.I talk skins stuff with her,she doesnt come in that often,but if I see her I'll have to ask her about how they felt about Pardee.
She brought me one of their personal photos taken by sideline photographer of Ken tackling Walt Garrison{historic play on mnf for you youngsters}
She said he would come in and sign it but I hadnt seen him.Last time she was in she took it back and was going to take it home and get him to sign it and bring it back
Maybe I should have said the game. What I meant was had they won and made the playoffs maybe Pardee, not Beathard would have won the battle
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,445
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Pardee was an awesome linebacker. Very energetic, smart, and hard-hitting. He was not as accomplished as a coach. As SS has hinted, the fact that he was not a great coach led to the glory years of the '80's...on someone else's watch.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,396
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Maybe I should have said the game. What I meant was had they won and made the playoffs maybe Pardee, not Beathard would have won the battle
Ok
Yeah,fate is funny,we dont get Gibbs if we win that Dallas game,but IF we would have won maybe we win the Superbowl that yr,who knows
Something that always gets lost about that Dallas game{but I remember like yesterday}is us skin fans thought we had the playoffs locked up,even if we lose to dallas were gonna win tiebreaker with the bears for playoff spot.Well it didnt turn out that way,bears played cards who started a rookie qb in his first game and the bears demolished them to win the tiebreaker,it was a double dagger in the back
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,615
Re: Former Redskin Jack Pardee Terminally Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Ok
Yeah,fate is funny,we dont get Gibbs if we win that Dallas game,but IF we would have won maybe we win the Superbowl that yr,who knows
Something that always gets lost about that Dallas game{but I remember like yesterday}is us skin fans thought we had the playoffs locked up,even if we lose to dallas were gonna win tiebreaker with the bears for playoff spot.Well it didnt turn out that way,bears played cards who started a rookie qb in his first game and the bears demolished them to win the tiebreaker,it was a double dagger in the back
Woah! I just looked at the box score of that Cards game. 5-28 passing
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.40029 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25