Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #121
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
So lets be perfectly clear here. If my best friend kills your brother tomorrow in cold blood. Nobody should judge my best friend but me and i should memorialize the man who shot and killed your brother fir all the world to see? Make no bones about it - that is exactly what happened here. Tom Jackson is so incredibly rite on with his take on this situation that it makes me sick.
I probably would be too angry if I was in that situation to care about right or wrong. I wouldn't say anything but I would be offended if Tom Jackson had anything to say about that situation(scenario you described) if I was in it.
warriorzpath is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #122
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

... He wouldn't know anything about my brother to have any say about anything.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #123
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
But this is my point too- Tom Jackson has no right to say anything as an outsider, but as the father of the victim - he has every right to speak out against anything his teammates say or do. I think it's a big difference.
Im just really not understanding you. We have the facts here. The facts are he killed someone and it was no accident. Why do i have to know him to say that what he did was wrong? What layers am i missing? What facts am i missing? The son of sam i believe blamed his dog for making him kill people? The son of sam might have been a cool guy when he was younger? At the end of the day neither of these two people hold human life with any regard. It is a shame that his friends and teammates have to live with that. A real shame. Not nearly as much a shame as what the victims family has to live with. No way. No how.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #124
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I probably would be too angry if I was in that situation to care about right or wrong. I wouldn't say anything but I would be offended if Tom Jackson had anything to say about that situation(scenario you described) if I was in it.
But it would just be wrong if that happened to your brother is my point. There is no rite! I didnt know anybody in 9-11 but surely u dont have a problem with me saying bin laden was wrong? On a mucch smaller scale of world affairs there is no difference here. I said before one human life is as valuable as 1 million.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #125
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

No one has the right to dictate how you feel about anything in this life.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #126
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Im just really not understanding you. We have the facts here. The facts are he killed someone and it was no accident. Why do i have to know him to say that what he did was wrong? What layers am i missing? What facts am i missing? The son of sam i believe blamed his dog for making him kill people? The son of sam might have been a cool guy when he was younger? At the end of the day neither of these two people hold human life with any regard. It is a shame that his friends and teammates have to live with that. A real shame. Not nearly as much a shame as what the victims family has to live with. No way. No how.
I think my basic point is that Tom Jackson has no right to say anything. He doesn't know the killer or the killer's victim. Son of Sam is a totally different situation. Tom Jackson is just talking bullsh*t. I don't remember Tom Jackson doing anything in life to contribute to positivity - but he had the balls to comment on this?
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #127
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
No one has the right to dictate how you feel about anything in this life.
More importantly nobody has the rite to take a life leaving u unable to form opinions whatsoever.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #128
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,679
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

I think some of you (one of you) are forgetting that many of the information we know have the Chiefs didn't necessarily have on Sunday morning when they decided to hang his jersey in his locker room.

And again, there was no public moment of silence, no vigil for Belcher, nothing like that

I think some of you (one of you) think it's way too easy to spend hours a day with someone, maybe know that he's having problems with his baby mama (but let's not kid ourselves how many pro athletes don't) and then one day you find that he killed himself and his girlfriend/baby mama...and you expect his teammates to just wipe every memory they have of him clean. Absurd.

Incredibly arrogant for some of you (one of you) to think it's not a full spectrum of emotions his teammates are going through-why did he do this? what could I have done? why didn't he come to us first? how well do I know everyone else in this locker room? did the violence of the game make him do this? could this happen to me?-and so on
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #129
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think some of you (one of you) are forgetting that many of the information we know have the Chiefs didn't necessarily have on Sunday morning when they decided to hang his jersey in his locker room.

And again, there was no public moment of silence, no vigil for Belcher, nothing like that

I think some of you (one of you) think it's way too easy to spend hours a day with someone, maybe know that he's having problems with his baby mama (but let's not kid ourselves how many pro athletes don't) and then one day you find that he killed himself and his girlfriend/baby mama...and you expect his teammates to just wipe every memory they have of him clean. Absurd.

Incredibly arrogant for some of you (one of you) to think it's not a full spectrum of emotions his teammates are going through-why did he do this? what could I have done? why didn't he come to us first? how well do I know everyone else in this locker room? did the violence of the game make him do this? could this happen to me?-and so on
Well Tom Jackson and one of me , and others in this thread, never said that the teammates dont have a rite to be shocked and saddened by what occured. Also if you read this last couple pages it has morphed into whether i have the rite as an outsider to say what belcher did is wrong? If im arrogant for saying it is than so be it. If the fact of the matter is that the organization and team was not aware if the murder when they hung up his jersey than i personally have no problem with it. However when the information was there at gametime and they did have the facts they should have taken the jersey down.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #130
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
But it would just be wrong if that happened to your brother is my point. There is no rite! I didnt know anybody in 9-11 but surely u dont have a problem with me saying bin laden was wrong? On a mucch smaller scale of world affairs there is no difference here. I said before one human life is as valuable as 1 million.
The situation is different. We're talking about oranges and apples. Bin laden is a mass murderer and has threatened the lives of every American - but we can go on and on about situations- and every one of them is different. That's how I'm honoring them by recognizing that. You can be angry about belchers actions and express them passionately but why?... and why stop there? I know there's a recent murder in every big city - why not look all of those up and immerse yourself in that and post your opinions everywhere you can about it? Those lives are just as important as belchers girlfriend to be upset about and express.

Last edited by warriorzpath; 12-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #131
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Well Tom Jackson and one of me , and others in this thread, never said that the teammates dont have a rite to be shocked and saddened by what occured. Also if you read this last couple pages it has morphed into whether i have the rite as an outsider to say what belcher did is wrong? If im arrogant for saying it is than so be it. If the fact of the matter is that the organization and team was not aware if the murder when they hung up his jersey than i personally have no problem with it. However when the information was there at gametime and they did have the facts they should have taken the jersey down.
Edit: SS - usually through my rants whether you agree or disagree i get the impression that you atleast read them but in this case im surprised. I must have said atleast three times that i myself - if this were my own brother - would not erase the memories i have for him. Your totally putting words in my mouth and although you didnt mention me by name - i think its safe to assume you were pretty much talking directly to me
Edit: whoops quoted nyself instead of modifying my post - my apologies to Bucket.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #132
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Smile Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
And we're back to reading comprehension......

I stated "it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest that an aggressive athlete that has had multiple injuries to this part of the brain may be more susceptible to rage." but thanks for the convenient partial quote.
do you not see what you said? youre suggesting something without any evidence.

Quote:
If you rage you lose the ability to control, you're not about to recognize that.
I agree. But my point was that Belcher hasnt been in a rage without control his entire life. By all reports, Belchers problems with his girlfriend were ongoing and, at minimum, he'd talked to players and coaches about his problems. He could have taken actions to prevent himself from being in situations where he could get in a rage. he didnt. He's 100% responsible for his actions.

Quote:
One of the most common effects of frontal damage can be a dramatic change in social behavior. A person's personality can undergo significant changes after an injury to the frontal lobes, especially when both lobes are involved. There are some differences in the left versus right frontal lobes in this area. Left frontal damage usually manifests as pseudodepression and right frontal damage as pseudopsychopathic (Blumer and Benson, 1975).

There's ton of research out there which I'm not filling the forum with, Google it yourself.
whats your point in providing that information? I never questioned that damage to any particular part of the brain could affect a persons thinking abilitiy. All i did was state there was no evidence that this was the case with Belcher. Youre arguing points you dont need to argue and thereby implying i hold beliefs that i dont.


Quote:
Proving your point? No, I wasn't but if you choose to use that tired old rhetorical trick, feel free.

First you said the person needs to recognize they're raging, then you're saying "Society is to blame"? It's purely on the poor impulse control of the person, not society.
You completely miss my point. Because society is so tolerant of unacceptable behavior, becuase society make excuses for peoples behavior, because society so liberal in assigning mental illnesses to people to explain bad behavior, people dont feel the need to control their behavior. People reason, "yeah people say i have an anger problem, but its not my fault. Chemicals are unbalanced in my brain." or "Im the way i am because my dad beat me when i was a kid." People make excuses for their behavior, and so they dont get the help they need or work as hard as they should to make changes.

To take it to the extreme in the other direction, if justice were swift and harsh for minor crimes, people would get in line. For example, lets say the law says that if youre driving under the influence, and you get caught, the police will immediately execute you. How many people would drink and drive? Not many. Im not suggesting we have laws like that, but just making the point that people's behavior is influenced by what they know society will tolerate.


Quote:
Should Bi-polar/schizophrenics seek out treatment? I doubt most are capable without the intervention/help of others.
True schizophrenia is extremely, extremely rare. the vast majority of people identified as schizophrenic are faking and/or mis-diagnosed. (on a side note, if you havent seen it, watch a movie called Take Shelter, which is about the disease. Michael Shannon should have won an oscar for his performance. )

There are several types of bi-polar disorder and it cant really be diagnosed until someone is in their late 30s. Psycholigists used to diagnose people much younger, but found that they ended up medicating people that didnt need it. The problem with bipolar disorder, as you alluded to, is the persons dont beleive their bipolar. Those around them have to identify the problem and basically force them to get help. Finding the right cocktail of medicines for an indivdual person takes years. I know because i'm married to someone with the disorder. I also know that there is no sense trying to reason with someone when they are in an "episode" as their brain is in a "fight or flight" mode. But bipolar people are generally non-violent (the wrong medication and/or alcohol can change that though). There is no evidence Belcher suffered from any sort of real mental disorder.

Like you, i think i'm done arguing this particular topic. As someone else mentioned, we're not going to change eachothers opinions, and, on the off chance that youre one of the small percentage of the population with an actual rage-inducing mental disorder, i dont want to piss you off
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #133
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,679
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

I saw you wrote "if my brother was a drug dealer who was killed" but I see you also gave the "if my brother was a murderer" scenario
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #134
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,679
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

Anyhow, it's been suggested by a few of you and I agree that this thread is taking a turn we don't need.

So...thread locked
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #135
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,832
Re: KC Chiefs' Player Commits Murder-Suicide

__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32890 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25