Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Chris Cooley

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #31
Special Teams
 
SCRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 395
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
So you're saying that Logan Paulsen is just as good as Antonio Gates, Martellis Bennett, Jason Witten, Growkoski for the Pats, Jimmy Graham, or Tony Gonzales? Come on, man. Gonzales is undoubtedly the oldest TE starting in the NFL and at 36 he hasn't lost anything. Mike Shanahan has rewarded the starting job to Paulsen because he's worked hard in practice and has been on the team for 3 years. But Logan Paulsen is still not better the Chris Cooley.

I disagree with everything you said.
Paulsen is better than Cooley doing what Shanahan wants done out there, or he'd be playing. Cooley hasn't done squat for years now, and our sentimental feelings about Chris won't change that.

And I have no idea why you're dragging other teams' TEs into this discussion. I'm very comfortable with your disagreeing with every thing I said. You're entitled to your opinion -- but I still think you're wrong.

Cooley's done. I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory against the Cowboys, but he will not be on an NFL roster in 2013.

And I love Chris Cooley the Redskin.
SCRedskinsFan is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #32
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,851
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Paulsen is better than Cooley doing what Shanahan wants done out there, or he'd be playing. Cooley hasn't done squat for years now, and our sentimental feelings about Chris won't change that.

And I have no idea why you're dragging other teams' TEs into this discussion. I'm very comfortable with your disagreeing with every thing I said. You're entitled to your opinion -- but I still think you're wrong.

Cooley's done. I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory against the Cowboys, but he will not be on an NFL roster in 2013.

And I love Chris Cooley the Redskin.
Cooley's been doing a good job at blocking, and I don't see the need to have more youth at a position when your two best players (Davis and Paulsen) are in their mid-twenties. Maybe Paul and Cooley will battle it out for that final roster spot. Other than being a good special teams player, I don't think Paul has done much to wow anyone.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't know, maybe he sees him every day at work, and saw him bringing his best every day, while Cooley brought his best once in a while. I would think it is conceivable that once in a while Mike actually watches what happens at practice. But maybe he figures he doesn't need to actually watch the practice in order to judge.
Who knows? We all know Mike runs a pretty tight ship, and Cooley has a rep for slacking. All I'm saying is Cooley looks quicker than I remember him and Paul looks like shit, but we still see them working Paul into the passing game rather than Cooley.

Mike likes to be right, who doesn't? But if "results" matter more or less for different players (gameday results) I think it's hard to keep a team together. We've seen the guys come together over the last four weeks. Personally, I think it has more to do with locker room leadership (RG and London would be my guesses) than Mike or anything with coaching. Just talking about focus and intensity here.

Coaching/play-calling has definitely improved as well, both offense and defense. I think we're closer to firing on all (available) cylinders than ever before, but forcing a guy like Paul into the mix doesn't help.
The Goat is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,056
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I was confused b/c I don't think anyone said that Paulsen was at that level. Although, Paulsen is in his second year so he could very well become more than a serviceable player. Personally, I think he's playing better than the shell of a player that Gates has become.
that's what i'm saying
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,121
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Paulsen is better than Cooley doing what Shanahan wants done out there, or he'd be playing. Cooley hasn't done squat for years now, and our sentimental feelings about Chris won't change that.

And I have no idea why you're dragging other teams' TEs into this discussion. I'm very comfortable with your disagreeing with every thing I said. You're entitled to your opinion -- but I still think you're wrong.

Cooley's done. I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory against the Cowboys, but he will not be on an NFL roster in 2013.

And I love Chris Cooley the Redskin.
Whether Cooley is capable of starting and contributing or not like he has in the past is unknown because he hasn't received that opportunity. Cooley, despite being injured for just about all of the Shanahans coaching tenure until now has still had great seasons in this offense. If Gibbs was still the HC, Cooley would be starting.

Anyway, I brought other teams TEs into the discussion to see just how Paulsen measures up to them. And the fact of the matter is that he just doesn't. If Paulsen develops into a 65-80 catch/1,040 yard/5-7 TDs a year type of TE I will be greatly surprised because he matter-of-factly isn't that type of threat on offense as those other tight ends that I brought up.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #36
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,446
Re: Chris Cooley

I think it's time for Cooley to get involved more in passing game.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,851
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Whether Cooley is capable of starting and contributing or not like he has in the past is unknown because he hasn't received that opportunity. Cooley, despite being injured for just about all of the Shanahans coaching tenure until now has still had great seasons in this offense. If Gibbs was still the HC, Cooley would be starting.

Anyway, I brought other teams TEs into the discussion to see just how Paulsen measures up to them. And the fact of the matter is that he just doesn't. If Paulsen develops into a 65-80 catch/1,040 yard/5-7 TDs a year type of TE I will be greatly surprised because he matter-of-factly isn't that type of threat on offense as those other tight ends that I brought up.
Why would he, since he's the #2 TE, and we already have a #1 TE that has the potential to be that good?
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #38
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,121
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Why would he, since he's the #2 TE, and we already have a #1 TE that has the potential to be that good?
Ruhskins, my point of emphasis here is that in place of Fred Davis, Cooley should be starting. Not Logan Paulsen.
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #39
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Paulsen is better than Cooley doing what Shanahan wants done out there, or he'd be playing. Cooley hasn't done squat for years now, and our sentimental feelings about Chris won't change that.

And I have no idea why you're dragging other teams' TEs into this discussion. I'm very comfortable with your disagreeing with every thing I said. You're entitled to your opinion -- but I still think you're wrong.

Cooley's done. I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory against the Cowboys, but he will not be on an NFL roster in 2013.

And I love Chris Cooley the Redskin.
This post is factually dull and pure (unsubstantiated) conjecture. Cooley had his best year in 2010.

Chris Cooley, TE for the Washington Redskins at NFL.com

He's also relatively young considering many TE's play well into their 30's in the NFL.

And again, most importantly, he looks quicker than I ever remember him. If you watch the last few games he's coming off the LOS just as quickly as Garcon (who he lines up near to) or any other WR with the exception of Tana who's our quickest guy. And Cooley's football IQ, the ability to find space/gaps in coverage is always there. It's not like he's sustained a head injury.

It's very obvious Mike and/or Kyle or choosing to keep him out of the passing game. Big kudos to Chris for giving it 100% out there and blocking well.
The Goat is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,848
Re: Chris Cooley

REDSKINS4ever, you need to take your emotion out of the conversation. You are such a big Cooley fan that it clouds your judgement of him.
You and GOAT are so caught up with TE being a receiver that you lose sight that the main reason Shanahan has Paulsen and Paul in there instead of Cooley is because they are winning and Paulsen & Paul are good blockers and pass protectors. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ever heard of that?
It is no coincidence that our offense changed and in turn solidified when Fred Davis and Cooley (not known for their blocking) were either injured or cut.
You guys really underestimate the value of good run blocking TE's in THIS offense even if they are not pass catchers. Up to know we have had enough production through the ground game and RGIII and our WR's, that we can win with out our TE's being heavily involved in the passing attack.
If it works why change it?
Defensewins is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,851
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Ruhskins, my point of emphasis here is that in place of Fred Davis, Cooley should be starting. Not Logan Paulsen.
I honestly don't think Cooley is that much ahead of Paulsen in terms of talent at this point (Cooley in his prime is a different story). Furthermore, given how complex the offense seems to be, I can see why Paulsen is starting and obviously he's been solid. Finally, I think Cooley may be doing a better job at blocking than Paul, so I think they may need him there, rather than catching passes.

I like Cooley a lot and I do hope that he gets involved in the passing game more (and I am not one to easily say that "he's done"). But I don't think he'd be much of an improvement over Paulsen right at this moment. In the end, RG3 spreads the ball so much among receivers, that honestly I don't think it matters who is starting (outside of Garcon) at TE or WR2/WR3.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #42
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
REDSKINS4ever, you need to take your emotion out of the conversation. You are such a big Cooley fan that it clouds your judgement of him.
You and GOAT are so caught up with TE being a receiver that you lose sight that the main reason Shanahan has Paulsen and Paul in there instead of Cooley is because they are winning and Paulsen & Paul are good blockers and pass protectors. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ever heard of that?
It is no coincidence that our offense changed and in turn solidified when Fred Davis and Cooley (not known for their blocking) were either injured or cut.
You guys really underestimate the value of good run blocking TE's in THIS offense even if they are not pass catchers. Up to know we have had enough production through the ground game and RGIII and our WR's, that we can win with out our TE's being heavily involved in the passing attack.
If it works why change it?
I give up. Sure, Paul is a good blocker, even though he doesn't do it on gameday. He's also an all pro pass catcher, a fulbright scholar, and a superb chef.
The Goat is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #43
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,848
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I give up. Sure, Paul is a good blocker, even though he doesn't do it on gameday. He's also an all pro pass catcher, a fulbright scholar, and a superb chef.
And Cooley is a probowl players and teams were fighting over him when we cut him.
Defensewins is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,851
Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
REDSKINS4ever, you need to take your emotion out of the conversation. You are such a big Cooley fan that it clouds your judgement of him.

You and GOAT are so caught up with TE being a receiver that you lose sight that the main reason Shanahan has Paulsen and Paul in there instead of Cooley is because they are winning and Paulsen & Paul are good blockers and pass protectors. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ever heard of that?

It is no coincidence that our offense changed and in turn solidified when Fred Davis and Cooley (not known for their blocking) were either injured or cut.
You guys really underestimate the value of good run blocking TE's in THIS offense even if they are not pass catchers. Up to know we have had enough production through the ground game and RGIII and our WR's, that we can win with out our TE's being heavily involved in the passing attack.
If it works why change it?
Paulsen is good at blocking and passing. Paul, not so much. While Cooley may not be back (I hope he does), Fred Davis will be back next season.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #45
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,939
Re: Chris Cooley

Based on what we saw in preseason Cooley can't really run much anymore. Not sure why he'd be getting opportunities over other more serviceable guts like Paul and Paulsen. What makes anyone think he is better than either? What he DID BEFORE is meaningless. What he can DO NOW matters most.
FRPLG is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31282 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25