Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #121
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,950
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Boil it down to the simple fact that the Jets have no ability to select quality, or even mediocre players in the draft or via Free Agency. They have NO ONE around Sanchez. Defense is average, no run game, no receivers to throw to. NOTHING. The GM and Rexy's personnel selections ain't so sexy. Poopoo talent=bye bye job.
Exactly, all their quality players were selected during the Eric Mangini era, now the question is will anyone want to trade for Sanchez.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #122
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,725
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Exactly, all their quality players were selected during the Eric Mangini era, now the question is will anyone want to trade for Sanchez.
Someone will be stupid enough to. Arizona, Buffalo, Kansas City, maybe even Jacksonville, Oakland or San Diego (If Rivers is traded).
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #123
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,731
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Rex Ryan inherited a team that went 9-7 the year before him, and goes 9-7 again but just got lucky that he made the playoffs. He has no leadership in that locker room, his team looks completely lost, for some reason the drafts before he was there were solid even with the GM they had (with the exception Gholston of course) and then when he arrives they start picking players like... Mark Sanchez. A bunch of questionable off season moves like giving Scott 48 million when he was on the decline, looked good a couple of games and everyone thought he was a beast. This year he is showing that one season is not worth what they signed him for.

Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator he has shown lack of leadership in that locker room, he does not evaluate talent well at all seeing as all his good players were there before he arrived, he inherited a good/talented team and then messed it up and you can see just by watching the jets they are leaderless.
^^This. Plus watching Hard Knocks with all Rex's yelling and screaming is not how a strong leader and in-control coach acts. It wont matter who the Jets bring in at QB or any other position, as long as Rex is HC that team is going nowhere.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #124
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Rex Ryan inherited a team that went 9-7 the year before him, and goes 9-7 again but just got lucky that he made the playoffs. He has no leadership in that locker room, his team looks completely lost, for some reason the drafts before he was there were solid even with the GM they had (with the exception Gholston of course) and then when he arrives they start picking players like... Mark Sanchez. A bunch of questionable off season moves like giving Scott 48 million when he was on the decline, looked good a couple of games and everyone thought he was a beast. This year he is showing that one season is not worth what they signed him for.

Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator he has shown lack of leadership in that locker room, he does not evaluate talent well at all seeing as all his good players were there before he arrived, he inherited a good/talented team and then messed it up and you can see just by watching the jets they are leaderless.
OK let's start with a definition of Tangible evidencs. "Evidence that can be supported by numbers" otherwise known as "Tangible Data" (my paraphrase). You started off well by using the teams 9-7 record the year before he took over and then provided his 9-7 record the next year. You then did state that he made the playoffs. Here is all of the tangible evidence that you left out.

Mangini - 9-7 - 3rd in AFC East - Missed Playoffs
Ryan - 9-7 - 2nd in AFC East - Lost AFC Championship Game
Ryan - 11-5 - 2nd in AFC East - Lost AFC Championship Game
Ryan - 8-8 - 2nd in AFC East - Missed Playoffs
Ryan - 6-8 - 2nd in AFC East - Missed playoffs (out of contention week 16)

Ryan is 34-28 (.548) in the regular season and 4-2 in the post season (.667)

He has made the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons


Let's put that into a comparison

Coughlin w Giants 82-60 (.577) in the regular season and 8-3 in the post season (.727)

He has made the playoffs 5 out of 9 seasons.

The numbers are comparable. Rex may not have Coughlin's 2 Superbowl's but he has very similar numbers.

The intangibles as you stated would be the bad personnel decisions and the lack of maturity in the Lockerroom etc.

You state that he has shown lack of leadership in the locker room. That's debatable. Some coaches want the locker room to run wild. It doesn't mean that he is not in charge, he want's them a little out of control. Examples include Jimmy Johnson at the University of Miami and the Oakland Raiders with Al Davis.

You said that he doesn't evaluate talent well at all. Well, I will not agree or disagree with this one. I will say that the last time I checked however, each NFL team has it's own scouts, talent evaluators, and GM. It's their job to evaluate talent. The HC just chips in, but it is not ultimately his job.

You say that they are leaderless, I would say that offensively you would be correct; Mark Sanchez is not a good leader. On defense they have plently of leadership and they play pretty good. That's not a lack of leadership from coaching it's a lack of leadership from the player. You cannot make someone be a leader. Trust me.

You state that he inherited a good team. Brett Favre couldn't make that offense good. He led the Vikings to the playoffs the very next season.

I think that if you give Rex a decent and mature QB, then the Jets can be a force in the NFL.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #125
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,725
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
OK let's start with a definition of Tangible evidencs. "Evidence that can be supported by numbers" otherwise known as "Tangible Data" (my paraphrase). You started off well by using the teams 9-7 record the year before he took over and then provided his 9-7 record the next year. You then did state that he made the playoffs. Here is all of the tangible evidence that you left out.

Mangini - 9-7 - 3rd in AFC East - Missed Playoffs
Ryan - 9-7 - 2nd in AFC East - Lost AFC Championship Game
Ryan - 11-5 - 2nd in AFC East - Lost AFC Championship Game
Ryan - 8-8 - 2nd in AFC East - Missed Playoffs
Ryan - 6-8 - 2nd in AFC East - Missed playoffs (out of contention week 16)

Ryan is 34-28 (.548) in the regular season and 4-2 in the post season (.667)

He has made the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons


Let's put that into a comparison

Coughlin w Giants 82-60 (.577) in the regular season and 8-3 in the post season (.727)

He has made the playoffs 5 out of 9 seasons.

The numbers are comparable. Rex may not have Coughlin's 2 Superbowl's but he has very similar numbers.

The intangibles as you stated would be the bad personnel decisions and the lack of maturity in the Lockerroom etc.

You state that he has shown lack of leadership in the locker room. That's debatable. Some coaches want the locker room to run wild. It doesn't mean that he is not in charge, he want's them a little out of control. Examples include Jimmy Johnson at the University of Miami and the Oakland Raiders with Al Davis.

You said that he doesn't evaluate talent well at all. Well, I will not agree or disagree with this one. I will say that the last time I checked however, each NFL team has it's own scouts, talent evaluators, and GM. It's their job to evaluate talent. The HC just chips in, but it is not ultimately his job.

You say that they are leaderless, I would say that offensively you would be correct; Mark Sanchez is not a good leader. On defense they have plently of leadership and they play pretty good. That's not a lack of leadership from coaching it's a lack of leadership from the player. You cannot make someone be a leader. Trust me.

You state that he inherited a good team. Brett Favre couldn't make that offense good. He led the Vikings to the playoffs the very next season.

I think that if you give Rex a decent and mature QB, then the Jets can be a force in the NFL.
Thats completely bAss ackwards. They did such a good job Rex's first two years because they had a butt load of talent. A top 5 defense. A great running game. Competent wide receivers. All Sanchez had to do was game manage, make a few throws and the run game and the defense won the games. Typical AFC North style football.

But Rex and their GM are obviously horrible at finding talent and managing a roster. They have done so poorly not because Sanchez has gotten worse, but because the team around him has gotten worse. Sanchez is Alex Smith to a tee. He can manage the game for you, make some throws, but you have to put a great team around them to get deep into the playoffs. They aren't going to put the team on their backs and win games for you like the Brady's and the Mannings' do.

Look at their roster:
Chaz Schilens
Jeremy Kerley
Braylon Edwards
Konrad Reuland
Jeff Cumberland
Shonn Greene
Ronnie Hillman

Sanchez has no one. Instead of filling these needs they don't get any help for the WR corps, sign TIM TEBOW who they won't even start and barely play, the defense signed high priced, aging players who are not performing to their contracts. It's a cut and dry Vinny Cerrato team.

Your argument is not valid because you completely ignore the main issue with the team. Personnel. Every team is different as far as how involved the head coach is with personnel decisions, but they have some input. Most of it goes on the GM, but he needs to go too. Rex needs to go because his rah rah style only works when you have talent and are winning. When you don't have the talent and are losing you get malcontents in the locker room who start outing each other anonymously and making for a bad team environment because you have assembled a team of high paid free agents, not a cohesive team.

Reference: See Cerrato, Vinny and Redskins, The Washington 1999-2010
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #126
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,731
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

I agree Angry that Sanchez isnt a good leader but IMO its the HC's job to help him develop into one and I just dont think Rex is a good role model for teaching and developing leadership.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #127
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,950
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
OK let's start with a definition of Tangible evidencs. "Evidence that can be supported by numbers" otherwise known as "Tangible Data" (my paraphrase). You started off well by using the teams 9-7 record the year before he took over and then provided his 9-7 record the next year. You then did state that he made the playoffs. Here is all of the tangible evidence that you left out.

Mangini - 9-7 - 3rd in AFC East - Missed Playoffs
Ryan - 9-7 - 2nd in AFC East - Lost AFC Championship Game
Ryan - 11-5 - 2nd in AFC East - Lost AFC Championship Game
Ryan - 8-8 - 2nd in AFC East - Missed Playoffs
Ryan - 6-8 - 2nd in AFC East - Missed playoffs (out of contention week 16)

Ryan is 34-28 (.548) in the regular season and 4-2 in the post season (.667)

He has made the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons


Let's put that into a comparison

Coughlin w Giants 82-60 (.577) in the regular season and 8-3 in the post season (.727)

He has made the playoffs 5 out of 9 seasons.

The numbers are comparable. Rex may not have Coughlin's 2 Superbowl's but he has very similar numbers.

The intangibles as you stated would be the bad personnel decisions and the lack of maturity in the Lockerroom etc.

You state that he has shown lack of leadership in the locker room. That's debatable. Some coaches want the locker room to run wild. It doesn't mean that he is not in charge, he want's them a little out of control. Examples include Jimmy Johnson at the University of Miami and the Oakland Raiders with Al Davis.

You said that he doesn't evaluate talent well at all. Well, I will not agree or disagree with this one. I will say that the last time I checked however, each NFL team has it's own scouts, talent evaluators, and GM. It's their job to evaluate talent. The HC just chips in, but it is not ultimately his job.

You say that they are leaderless, I would say that offensively you would be correct; Mark Sanchez is not a good leader. On defense they have plently of leadership and they play pretty good. That's not a lack of leadership from coaching it's a lack of leadership from the player. You cannot make someone be a leader. Trust me.

You state that he inherited a good team. Brett Favre couldn't make that offense good. He led the Vikings to the playoffs the very next season.

I think that if you give Rex a decent and mature QB, then the Jets can be a force in the NFL.
1) You can't just state Coughlin's two superbowls and act like they do not account for anything. Comparing a two-time superbowl winning coach to a coach who hasn't won anything is not a good comparison.

2) A coach who you can compare to Rex Ryan...
Norv Turner... 53-39 (.576) but has shown a decline from when he took over at San Diego, he has been to the playoffs 4-8 times with San Diego, or 50% of the time just like... Rex Ryan. Yet most people belive Norv Turner cannot be a head coach. He has similar numbers to Rex Ryan, so which one is he, is he Norv Turner or is he a coach who was a proven winner at Jacksonville and a two time superbowl winning coach with players that he drafted. Difference between Coughlin and Ryan however, one coach inherited a team that was 9-7 the year before the other inherited a team that was 4-12 and had the number one draft pick. Also one thing they always say Turner lacked... leadership.

3) Leadership is a coach's responsibility. NO coach wants the locker room to run wild, Jimmy Johnson had control of his locker room at Dallas and drafted leaders like Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin. Leadership is absolutely a coaches responsibility. If you want a team to listen to you and respect you, you have to be a leader of men, look what happened at Dallas, a player passed away and Garret showed leadership in the way he handled that situation, and now their team is in playoff contention yet again.

4) I do not think it is coincidence that once Rex Ryan took over they started making questionable off season decisions. Tannedbaum has been there since 2006 (same year Mangini got hired) and had good drafts with Mangini, then all of a sudden Ryan gets hired and he starts to look terrible. Its not just coincidence in my opinion. I don't like Tannedbaum either by the way.

5) Brett Favre was successful with that team, their offense was good, if you recall Brett Favre injured his arm the final 5 games of that season when they started 8-3 and then went 1-4 which knocked them out of the playoff race.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #128
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,950
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Rex Ryan is a good defensive coordinator, I do not believe he is a good head coach.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #129
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,401
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

I think what is lost in the Jets discussion is how much of a terrible job Mike Tanenbaum (sp?) has done as a GM.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #130
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,950
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think what is lost in the Jets discussion is how much of a terrible job Mike Tanenbaum (sp?) has done as a GM.
I think the entire office and coaching staff needs to be removed. Clean Slate.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #131
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,456
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Man, the Jets get more hype and talk these days than the Cowboys.

I don't get it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #132
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,181
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Man, the Jets get more hype and talk these days than the Cowboys.

I don't get it.
if you tebow it, they will come
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #133
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,401
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Man, the Jets get more hype and talk these days than the Cowboys.

I don't get it.
Because of Tebow and people love to hate Rex Ryan.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #134
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Thats completely bAss ackwards. They did such a good job Rex's first two years because they had a butt load of talent. A top 5 defense. A great running game. Competent wide receivers. All Sanchez had to do was game manage, make a few throws and the run game and the defense won the games. Typical AFC North style football.

But Rex and their GM are obviously horrible at finding talent and managing a roster. They have done so poorly not because Sanchez has gotten worse, but because the team around him has gotten worse. Sanchez is Alex Smith to a tee. He can manage the game for you, make some throws, but you have to put a great team around them to get deep into the playoffs. They aren't going to put the team on their backs and win games for you like the Brady's and the Mannings' do.

Look at their roster:
Chaz Schilens
Jeremy Kerley
Braylon Edwards
Konrad Reuland
Jeff Cumberland
Shonn Greene
Ronnie Hillman

Sanchez has no one. Instead of filling these needs they don't get any help for the WR corps, sign TIM TEBOW who they won't even start and barely play, the defense signed high priced, aging players who are not performing to their contracts. It's a cut and dry Vinny Cerrato team.

Your argument is not valid because you completely ignore the main issue with the team. Personnel. Every team is different as far as how involved the head coach is with personnel decisions, but they have some input. Most of it goes on the GM, but he needs to go too. Rex needs to go because his rah rah style only works when you have talent and are winning. When you don't have the talent and are losing you get malcontents in the locker room who start outing each other anonymously and making for a bad team environment because you have assembled a team of high paid free agents, not a cohesive team.

Reference: See Cerrato, Vinny and Redskins, The Washington 1999-2010
Nowhere have I ignored the personnel issue. I am stating that it does not fall on the coach. You referenced Cerato, Vinny and the Redskins. Even you did not state Gibbs, Zorn or any plethora of coaches during that term. It is not a coaching problem. He is working with what he has been given. You only mentioned the backs and recievers that are not injured. Did Rex go all Tanya Harding on his starters?

Rex Ryan has a winning record after 4 season and has been to the AFC Championship game twice. His numbers do not warrant a coaching change for at least another season. I agree that there are personnel issues and that his team seems to be on the decline, but I believe that he can turn it around with an equally talented, but more mature QB.

The problem is the GM and the QB, not Rex. I am at an impasse and will not respond on this subject any further.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #135
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Cousins Value Skyrockets,Jets Fans Want Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
1) You can't just state Coughlin's two superbowls and act like they do not account for anything. Comparing a two-time superbowl winning coach to a coach who hasn't won anything is not a good comparison.

2) A coach who you can compare to Rex Ryan...
Norv Turner... 53-39 (.576) but has shown a decline from when he took over at San Diego, he has been to the playoffs 4-8 times with San Diego, or 50% of the time just like... Rex Ryan. Yet most people belive Norv Turner cannot be a head coach. He has similar numbers to Rex Ryan, so which one is he, is he Norv Turner or is he a coach who was a proven winner at Jacksonville and a two time superbowl winning coach with players that he drafted. Difference between Coughlin and Ryan however, one coach inherited a team that was 9-7 the year before the other inherited a team that was 4-12 and had the number one draft pick. Also one thing they always say Turner lacked... leadership.

3) Leadership is a coach's responsibility. NO coach wants the locker room to run wild, Jimmy Johnson had control of his locker room at Dallas and drafted leaders like Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin. Leadership is absolutely a coaches responsibility. If you want a team to listen to you and respect you, you have to be a leader of men, look what happened at Dallas, a player passed away and Garret showed leadership in the way he handled that situation, and now their team is in playoff contention yet again.

4) I do not think it is coincidence that once Rex Ryan took over they started making questionable off season decisions. Tannedbaum has been there since 2006 (same year Mangini got hired) and had good drafts with Mangini, then all of a sudden Ryan gets hired and he starts to look terrible. Its not just coincidence in my opinion. I don't like Tannedbaum either by the way.

5) Brett Favre was successful with that team, their offense was good, if you recall Brett Favre injured his arm the final 5 games of that season when they started 8-3 and then went 1-4 which knocked them out of the playoff race.
Lat one

1) He didn't win those Superbowls until after his 5th season (They wanted to fire him too)

2) Norv Turner inherited a stacked and consistent Playoff team led by Phillip Rivers. Rex inherited a team that missed the playoffs and had no QB.

3) I think you missed the argument there. They respected the coach but he allowed them to act out. Watch ESPN's 30 for 30 "The U". Many coaches had an "Us against the world" attitude and it works.

4) The GM is responsible for his own actions.

5) Brett Favre and that team went 9-7 finished 3rd in the division and missed the playoffs.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 1.02844 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25