Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
1) Several teams still use the wildcat from time to time. You may have read a story this week about Tebow refusing to wildcat for the Jets last weekend.

2) Miami NEVER used the wildcat the way we use the pistol. In its greatest heyday the Fins wildcatted about 4 plays a game at most. On the other hand, we have used the pistol as our standard formation for the entirety of several games.
Miami Dolphins are successful running Wildcat offense - Dave Hyde - SI.com

See link: Dolphins used it about 10 times per game, though I'm not sure if that was the peak because I remember Williams/Brown doing it nearly every other play for awhile.

And again, where is it effective today? I don't care what the Jets do, but are teams winning with it?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,607
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Miami Dolphins are successful running Wildcat offense - Dave Hyde - SI.com

See link: Dolphins used it about 10 times per game, though I'm not sure if that was the peak because I remember Williams/Brown doing it nearly every other play for awhile.

And again, where is it effective today? I don't care what the Jets do, but are teams winning with it?
You continue to COMPLETELY miss my point. Let me try one last time:

1) Using the wildcat for a handful of plays is not the same as running the pistol virtually all game long. The Dolphins offense was never designed around the wildcat. Even at its fullest use the wildcat was still a Dolphin accessory. Even your own link shows this: if teams typically run 60 plays a game, and at its most the wildcat was used for 10 plays, what do you think was happening for the other 50 plays? 10/60 is a sidebar, not a centerpiece.

In contrast, our offense is built around the pistol - or at least it has been for several games. We sometimes have been in the pistol almost all game long. This makes the pistol a centerpiece.

This point is not difficult to grasp.

2) Where did the words "success" and "effective" get smuggled into things? I never even hinted at those words. My argument remains, whether the offensive schemes are successful or not.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 12-27-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,669
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Yeppers, and the entire premise is based on the threat of the QB keeping the pigskin X% of the time, right?
I don't think that's accurate
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,716
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Yeppers, and the entire premise is based on the threat of the QB keeping the pigskin X% of the time, right?
I'd say its the threat of the QB being able to run period.

As the season has gone on Griffin has run less and less, but the offense still works.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yes the pistol Offense look very nice.

Are those their retro uni's?
....look good
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,607
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Yeppers, and the entire premise is based on the threat of the QB keeping the pigskin X% of the time, right?
No. The pistol is a formation, not a play. There is no premise that the QB will keep the ball. You can run the pistol without the QB's EVER keeping the ball. You can run the pistol without EVER running a read option.

You seem not to be able to differentiate the pistol (a formation) from the read option (which is a play).
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 12-27-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,715
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Very good read, but I disagree with his assessment that the pistol or read option will be the future of the NFL. This one portion of article sums up why it will never be a mainstay as a offense.


Quote:
Critics argue that these attacks create an increased risk of injury to quarterbacks. That is a real concern, and if anything can short circuit these changes to the NFL game, it is this.

It's not that defenses will catch up to this, but the fact the read option opens up your QB to be hit on every play. If teams can get a free shot in on your franchise QB, they will and I don't blame them.

I do however think this will be used from time to time during games as a change of pace, or to catch a defense off guard.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,716
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Very good read, but I disagree with his assessment that the pistol or read option will be the future of the NFL. This one portion of article sums up why it will never be a mainstay as a offense.





It's not that defenses will catch up to this, but the fact the read option opens up your QB to be hit on every play. If teams can get a free shot in on your franchise QB, they will and I don't blame them.

I do however think this will be used from time to time during games as a change of pace, or to catch a defense off guard.
Yeah but the article also points out that pocket passers aren't immune to injuries or big hits. That's football.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,715
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yeah but the article also points out that pocket passers aren't immune to injuries or big hits. That's football.
Nobody is saying that pocket passers are immune to injuries.

Of course they aren't immune to injuries, but they are also untouchable (for the most part) once they release that ball. Not in the read option. The QB is still fair game because he's a runner. We saw this in the Bengals game. They lit him up at every chance, and quite frankly they should have.

It's one thing to incur injuries in the normal flow of the game, it's another to put your most important person in a position to get hurt even more. Much like that ill advised pass to RGIII? Same thing with option plays. Sure he can get hurt in the pocket, but it's much smarter not to even subject him to those unnecessary hits when you don't have to.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #25
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Most old school fans hate the new pistol formation stuff just the way it is.

Sent from my Next7P12-8G using Tapatalk 2
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,998
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Most old school fans hate the new pistol formation stuff just the way it is.

Sent from my Next7P12-8G using Tapatalk 2
Damn newfangled formations are ruining a good game of football.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,061
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Most old school fans hate the new pistol formation stuff just the way it is.

Sent from my Next7P12-8G using Tapatalk 2
I think that's probably complete BS......
Just....Win Baby! Pistol....Rifle....Grenade launcher...Just Win!

Sent from my Oldschooldude BS detecting morse codeatalk 2
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,691
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Any Redskins fans around from when the Cowboys started using the shotgun, and Gibbs wouldn't use it. I just think this is a very close facsimile of that, except in reverse.

There are a bunch of Cowboys fans on their board that says this will never work. The problem with that is, the whole premise of the pistol blends the best part of a pro-style running game - north south hard hitting running, with the best part of a shotgun formation, the qb's ability to survey the d while standing and receiving the ball in a position that he can release it quickly. It also removes the inherent weakness of the qb lining up under center - which means he has his head down, and is immediately moving backwards at the snap, and the weakness of the shotgun which forces the running game to be much more east west, and less effective.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,886
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Watching Baylor running the pistol against UCLA in the Holiday Bowl on ESPN right now. RB Martin IV looks good. Big, strong, hard running RB that would look good in the burgundy and gold. Just saying.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #30
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,607
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Any Redskins fans around from when the Cowboys started using the shotgun, and Gibbs wouldn't use it. I just think this is a very close facsimile of that, except in reverse.

There are a bunch of Cowboys fans on their board that says this will never work. The problem with that is, the whole premise of the pistol blends the best part of a pro-style running game - north south hard hitting running, with the best part of a shotgun formation, the qb's ability to survey the d while standing and receiving the ball in a position that he can release it quickly. It also removes the inherent weakness of the qb lining up under center - which means he has his head down, and is immediately moving backwards at the snap, and the weakness of the shotgun which forces the running game to be much more east west, and less effective.
Those Cowboyszone fans are correct. It will never work. That's why our offense is in the top 5.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29665 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25