Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #31
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'd say its the threat of the QB being able to run period.

As the season has gone on Griffin has run less and less, but the offense still works.
This is how I see it. And your second statement is key IMO.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #32
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
No. The pistol is a formation, not a play. There is no premise that the QB will keep the ball. You can run the pistol without the QB's EVER keeping the ball. You can run the pistol without EVER running a read option.

You seem not to be able to differentiate the pistol (a formation) from the read option (which is a play).
Curious how/why the pistol puts the defense back on its heels in your opinion?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #33
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Curious how/why the pistol puts the defense back on its heels in your opinion?
In the pistol the defense sees a look that forces it to account for both an inside run, and 2 quick release passes - one to a flanked wr and one to a TE on an inside seam route. They are forced to defend the whole field from sideline to sideline and from the LOS to 6 yds deep within a second of the snap. If the qb reads it right, there is almost always a scheme advantage to the offense.

Also, defending the whole field is tiring. Think about a WR screen. from the offensive side, the qb gets the snap and releases it, the WR is in position so until he catches it there isn't a lot of energy spent, but the dline at the snap is pushing hard upfield and in a split second is turning against its grain and running across the field. MS has said that's the reason we see so many wide plays at the beginning of games, to get those dline guys running sideline to sideline.

Further, an under the center the snap that is a designed pass gives the defense a few steps to set up as the qb takes his drop, a shotgun formation allows the dline to be more aggressive towards the pass rush, because inside runs are hard from that formation.

The key to the pistol is having a qb that can quickly see the best point of attack on the presnap and at the snap reads, the article pointed out this is one of RG3s strengths that doesn't get mentioned as much.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,107
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense


Nice read,yet I disgaree it's the future. A fad or trend yes and as most do they work...for a while .If they run up against a defense that is discipline in it's assignments you run into trouble.Go back to the 70's and you'll see a few teams tinkered with the wishbone offense but the D coordinators figured it out and it stopped.Assign a man to each player,1 take the up back another the QB and one the pitch man and just tackel them ball or no ball.
The option ,Pistol ...whatever it is ,is working becuase of pass rushers who won't play the run and aren't dissipline JPP and Ware come to mind.What makes Griffin so good is his sight and speed ,for as new as he is in the NFL he reads D's very well and can pretty much out run anyone on the field all of this makes his play play fakes more deadly.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,620
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
In the pistol the defense sees a look that forces it to account for both an inside run, and 2 quick release passes - one to a flanked wr and one to a TE on an inside seam route. They are forced to defend the whole field from sideline to sideline and from the LOS to 6 yds deep within a second of the snap. If the qb reads it right, there is almost always a scheme advantage to the offense.

Also, defending the whole field is tiring. Think about a WR screen. from the offensive side, the qb gets the snap and releases it, the WR is in position so until he catches it there isn't a lot of energy spent, but the dline at the snap is pushing hard upfield and in a split second is turning against its grain and running across the field. MS has said that's the reason we see so many wide plays at the beginning of games, to get those dline guys running sideline to sideline.

Further, an under the center the snap that is a designed pass gives the defense a few steps to set up as the qb takes his drop, a shotgun formation allows the dline to be more aggressive towards the pass rush, because inside runs are hard from that formation.

The key to the pistol is having a qb that can quickly see the best point of attack on the presnap and at the snap reads, the article pointed out this is one of RG3s strengths that doesn't get mentioned as much.
Well put CRed!
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #36
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,891
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Curious how/why the pistol puts the defense back on its heels in your opinion?
Having three guys in the backfield in addition to our incredible QB allows for multiple backfield run options and multiple backfield blockers. This versatility is not present in the the conventional shotgun formation.
Having the QB five or so steps back, instead of under center give the QB time to adjust to an unblocked pass rusher in the play action passing game. Harder to sack the QB. The pistol combines the best of all formations.

But IMO what really makes it work for the Skins is our personnel and play calling. RGIII makes it all go, but unheard of guys like Logan Paulsen, Darrell Young and Niles Paul are a force in the running game and pass protection. I have not seen one them all season get knocked back on their ass while blocking. They are physical players in an age of football where physical play takes a back seat to high flying offenses and high stats passing games. You can not put a stat or value on physical play, because our uneducated NFL fans only wants to see long passes and TD's because that is all they understand.
Balance on offense as always is the key and the a potent down field pass attack from just two WR's, weather it be from Garcon and Morgan or a combination Moss, Aldrick Robinson and Hankerson is vital to keeping LB's and safety's guessing. They can not key on one thing- a physical and deceptive running game or a potent down field passing game. Balance is what makes it all work and keeps the DB's and LB's on their heels.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #37
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,701
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Excellent points DW
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #38
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,701
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Lotus has pointed it out often, but there are two separate and distinct parts to this.

The first is the formation (Pistol). I think you will see it sweep in next year, and with a nod to Cowboys Week, I can honestly say, I don't want to see it run by them this week. Murray, Witten, Bryant and Austin on the edges, and Romo directing it in pistol would be very potent against our D, even with Fletcher reading the play. But I think Garrett/Jones is to prideful to bring it in to their building, which is fine by me.

The second is a particular play (zone read). I think this will die out quickly, if it hasn't already. I don't know the specific stats but I think we maybe did it 3 times in the last 3 games. Griffin is an excellent ball handler, and decision maker, so he is good at it. But defenses are quick, and once they know where the ball is going they converge quickly so that the zone read tends to get snuffed out for minimal gain.

Basically, the pistol gives you a half second to second edge against the defense, which a qb can exploit with
  • a quick pass out to the edge if the corners are creeping in
  • a slant in the middle of the field if the LB's are stacking the box
  • a handoff, if the lbs are dropping into coverage
That is something most offensive coordinators will love. On the other hand, the zone-read from out of the pistol uses that half second edge as an opportunity for Griffin to make a play with his natural (and amazing) speed to the corner.

The zone read playcall can't last because Griffin will slow down, and he will get hurt, the pistol formation will last, because oc's and qb's will find ways to take advantage of the defensive hesitation.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
Special Teams
 
SkinsGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 114
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Lotus has pointed it out often, but there are two separate and distinct parts to this.

The first is the formation (Pistol). I think you will see it sweep in next year, and with a nod to Cowboys Week, I can honestly say, I don't want to see it run by them this week. Murray, Witten, Bryant and Austin on the edges, and Romo directing it in pistol would be very potent against our D, even with Fletcher reading the play. But I think Garrett/Jones is to prideful to bring it in to their building, which is fine by me.

The second is a particular play (zone read). I think this will die out quickly, if it hasn't already. I don't know the specific stats but I think we maybe did it 3 times in the last 3 games. Griffin is an excellent ball handler, and decision maker, so he is good at it. But defenses are quick, and once they know where the ball is going they converge quickly so that the zone read tends to get snuffed out for minimal gain.

Basically, the pistol gives you a half second to second edge against the defense, which a qb can exploit with
  • a quick pass out to the edge if the corners are creeping in
  • a slant in the middle of the field if the LB's are stacking the box
  • a handoff, if the lbs are dropping into coverage
That is something most offensive coordinators will love. On the other hand, the zone-read from out of the pistol uses that half second edge as an opportunity for Griffin to make a play with his natural (and amazing) speed to the corner.

The zone read playcall can't last because Griffin will slow down, and he will get hurt, the pistol formation will last, because oc's and qb's will find ways to take advantage of the defensive hesitation.
Agreed . . . this is how i look at it . . . what i don't understand is why everyone is saying the pistol formation puts a QB at further risk . . . i understand what the thinking is around the option plays and how that may add an extra risk, but the pistol formation itself would, IMO actually add a tiny bit of extra time, therefore a tiny bit of extra protection . . . isn't the pistol formation really just an i-formation or a pro-formation with the qb 3 - 4 yards deep instead of under center??
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 648
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

I dunno, I think they are using the right plays now, but it looks to be constantly changing also.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #41
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

So if QB keeps aren't central to the pistol's effectiveness and it provides an insurmountable advantage for the offense, we should absolutely see P Manning and Brady run it next season, yes?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #42
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,635
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
So if QB keeps aren't central to the pistol's effectiveness and it provides an insurmountable advantage for the offense, we should absolutely see P Manning and Brady run it next season, yes?
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #43
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
That's mighty intelligent if I do say...
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,891
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
So if QB keeps aren't central to the pistol's effectiveness and it provides an insurmountable advantage for the offense, we should absolutely see P Manning and Brady run it next season, yes?
Of course not. That would stupid. Teams are built differently and thus NFL teams will always run what works best for each individual team.
Who ever said the Pistol offense provides an "insurmountable advantage"?
Are you making shit up again?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #45
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,753
Re: The Future is Here: The NFL and the Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
So if QB keeps aren't central to the pistol's effectiveness and it provides an insurmountable advantage for the offense, we should absolutely see P Manning and Brady run it next season, yes?
Big Ben operated out of the pistol almost all night a couple years ago against the Ravens when he had a busted up ankle.

The read option on the other hand is a different story.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31563 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25