Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #46
Impact Rookie
 
calia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodside, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 613
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJHJ2 View Post
Why not kick Rob Jackson inside with Perry Riley when Fletcher decides to hang it up?
This makes sense to me. Jackson doesn't generate a big pass rush, which is more a function of an OLB. An ILB needs to be a sure tackler, and if he can pluck errant passes out of the air, so much the better. And Jackson can do that (just as Fletcher did this year too). I realize that they're different positions, but I would imagine that Jackson is a solid enough player to make the transition, and who better to teach him than Fletcher?
calia is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
Camp Scrub
 
Mayor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 56
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Just cause it looks good on paper doesn't mean its going to work on the field. We're doing fine in the 3-4. Why fix something that ain't broken? Our weakness is in the secondary, and 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 1-6, it doesn't matter what defense you play you have always 4 guys starting in the secondary.
While I get your point, my point is putting you talent in a position where they are most beneficial to the team is a good strategy. Orkapo is a good pass rusher, Jackson is a ball hawk, I was just presenting an option that puts them both on the field in a position where they excel.

In fact, we have been fighting for years now to pigeonhole Kerrigan and Orkapo into 3-4 LB positions when their natural talents are in the 4-3 DE position. Why not build the defense around our best players best skills?

Adjusting your scheme to the skills of your players is what winning franchises do. Getting rid of a good player because they don't fit in your scheme is what losing franchises do.
Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #48
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Shannahan wanted the 3-4 defense and changed us to it. It isn't going to change anytime soon.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #49
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor View Post
While I get your point, my point is putting you talent in a position where they are most beneficial to the team is a good strategy. Orkapo is a good pass rusher, Jackson is a ball hawk, I was just presenting an option that puts them both on the field in a position where they excel.

In fact, we have been fighting for years now to pigeonhole Kerrigan and Orkapo into 3-4 LB positions when their natural talents are in the 4-3 DE position. Why not build the defense around our best players best skills?

Adjusting your scheme to the skills of your players is what winning franchises do. Getting rid of a good player because they don't fit in your scheme is what losing franchises do.
Your proposal gets rid of carriker and Bowen, who are better players than Jackson and Jenkins. So you are suggesting the skins do what a losing organization would do. I would like it if you were the defensive coordinator for the cowboys.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #50
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor View Post
While I get your point, my point is putting you talent in a position where they are most beneficial to the team is a good strategy. Orkapo is a good pass rusher, Jackson is a ball hawk, I was just presenting an option that puts them both on the field in a position where they excel.

In fact, we have been fighting for years now to pigeonhole Kerrigan and Orkapo into 3-4 LB positions when their natural talents are in the 4-3 DE position. Why not build the defense around our best players best skills?

Adjusting your scheme to the skills of your players is what winning franchises do. Getting rid of a good player because they don't fit in your scheme is what losing franchises do.
while taking bowen and carriker off the field, from a position in which they excel
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #51
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,790
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
We won the NFC East with out Orakpo's pass rush pressure. How critical is that pressure?
That's really something I cannot answer. Definitely something the coaches will have to decide.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #52
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,707
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Your proposal gets rid of carriker and Bowen, who are better players than Jackson and Jenkins. So you are suggesting the skins do what a losing organization would do. I would like it if you were the defensive coordinator for the cowboys.
What?

You can have Jackson and Orakpo on the field at the sametime, his alignment is a little off, but it can easily be done.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #53
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,707
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
while taking bowen and carriker off the field, from a position in which they excel
Bowen off the field in pass rush situations is no big loss at all.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #54
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,692
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJHJ2 View Post
Why not kick Rob Jackson inside with Perry Riley when Fletcher decides to hang it up?
Because you're forgetting about Keenan Robinson
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #55
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,063
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Because you're forgetting about Keenan Robinson
i did, i forgot he was ir'd
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #56
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,658
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

We could kick Jackson inside on purely passing situations, kind of like how the Giants play DE's at DT in passing situations.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #57
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,318
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
We won the NFC East with out Orakpo's pass rush pressure. How critical is that pressure?
Winning the NFC East does not discount the fact the Redskins still have to 28th ranked defense in the league. The rest of the team isn't so perfect that they can afford to disregard a principle of NFL defenses. They should be able to create pressure without having to rush six defenders, but since Orakpo went down that hasn't happened.

Ask the 2007 and 2011 Giants if a pass rush is critical.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #58
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor View Post
Maybe I am crazy, but I see Orkapo and Kerrigan excelling at playing as down linemen, Jackson playing great as a coverage LB... so how about the 4-3?

Starters:

DE: Kerrigan, Orkapo
DT: Cofield, Jenkins
LB: Jackson (O), Fletcher*(M), Riley (O)
S: Draft, Draft
CB: Hall, Wilson


* - If Fletcher retires then it's a camp toss up

I like the look of that front 7.
You are. The 4-3 ship left the port in 2009 with Greg Blache.. We are a 3-4 team now and for the forseeable future.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #59
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Because you're forgetting about Keenan Robinson
Also because you're forgetting Jackson is a DE converted to OLB who then you would be converting to ILB. This isn't Madden where you can just go to another screen and change a player's position. Jackson has very limited lateral quickness, especially for an ILB. Not discounting any of his plays but did you see how long it took him to build any forward momentum on his INT vs the Browns?

He's maximizing the role he's playing in the defense but let's quit being prisoners of the moment and making him into something he's not.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #60
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Also, Jackson and Rak are almost the same exact size. Rak is definitely more chiseled and is stronger.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28442 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25