Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #271
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Wow. Things are starting to get fishy. And very interesting. Shocker, someone in a high end organization is lying.
NFLPA: We did not agree to 'collusion' in advance | CSN Washington
Ha ha, yeah Goodell, thats why the NFLPA filed a law suit against the NFL cause they agreed to collude with the owners and allow the NFL to punish anyone who failed to go along with the program. lol.

Goodell you kill me. It would have been funnier had it been said on April 1st.
SBXVII is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #272
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,889
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
The way I look at it Goodell and Mara started the BS, and decided to try and play tough. Through all of this the Redskins have tried to play nice, filed a grievance, waited while the NFLPA file their complaint, waited while the NFLPA appealed the case, and no give on the NFL's side.

It's definitely time to go nuclear, file whatever they need to file to screw over Free Agency, then file whatever they need to file that keeps it out of the NFL's friendly court system and puts in possibly in the bulls eye of the Department of Labor or the Department of Justice. Maybe then if all the owners have to worry about their sacred business being watched by big government maybe then they will cave and give the penalty back in order to keep their business out of big governments reach.
Yeah, kudos to the Skins for taking the High Road up to this point.

Really wish someone could have followed up Huly's question with something Goodell glossed over: "Mr. Goodell, in 2010, when the Redskins and Cowboys submitted the contracts in question for NFL front office approval: Why did the NFL management approve those contracts at that time?"
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #273
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Yeah, kudos to the Skins for taking the High Road up to this point.

Really wish someone could have followed up Huly's question with something Goodell glossed over: "Mr. Goodell, in 2010, when the Redskins and Cowboys submitted the contracts in question for NFL front office approval: Why did the NFL management approve those contracts at that time?"
and this is the question I'd love for Goodell or Mara to answer. In a public setting. I mean everyone already knows the answer. What I hate is the NFL playing the "30" owners were duped by two and those two should be punished. No Goodell, two owners restructured contracts knowing the leauge would be forced to go along with them or get into trouble. Someone at the NFL agreed to the contracts when they had every opportunity to deny them but didn't. Why? and because of your mistake you wanted to punish the two teams? That screams of unfair business between owners.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #274
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
The more I think about it. The more I think that Snyder has a legit claim. It would air a LOT of dirty laundry and he may or may not succeed, but I am betting there is something actionable.
Great analysis Joe.

__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #275
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

i'm really starting to sour on the NFL's arrogance. This issue aside, yesterday i learned the league, which makes billions of dollars a year, doesnt pay taxes. That just doesnt seem right, especially when the federal government is laying off thousands of workers to cut expenses. Maybe some of those people would still have jobs if the NFL paid taxes like every other sports league in the country.

Yesterday, i also read that several NFL teams asked a player at the combine questions regarding his sexual orientation. I'm pretty sure thats illegal. Can you imagine the uproar if Microsoft, Walmart, or some other large company asked individuals questions about their sexual orientation on a job interview? Yet the NFL does it, and they dont give a crap.

Sooner or later, the arrogant manner they go about conducting business is going to get them in trouble. Theyre going to lose their tax exempt status or get the crap sued out of them for overt discrimination or something else. And i'm going to love it.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #276
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,008
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
i'm really starting to sour on the NFL's arrogance. This issue aside, yesterday i learned the league, which makes billions of dollars a year, doesnt pay taxes. That just doesnt seem right, especially when the federal government is laying off thousands of workers to cut expenses. Maybe some of those people would still have jobs if the NFL paid taxes like every other sports league in the country.

Yesterday, i also read that several NFL teams asked a player at the combine questions regarding his sexual orientation. I'm pretty sure thats illegal. Can you imagine the uproar if Microsoft, Walmart, or some other large company asked individuals questions about their sexual orientation on a job interview? Yet the NFL does it, and they dont give a crap.

Sooner or later, the arrogant manner they go about conducting business is going to get them in trouble. Theyre going to lose their tax exempt status or get the crap sued out of them for overt discrimination or something else. And i'm going to love it.
Given recent events, I was wondering about that. Yes, that is illegal to do, NFL or not.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #277
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,717
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

That is a basic employee hiring law. BUS Law 101
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #278
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,725
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
That is a basic employee hiring law. BUS Law 101
Apparently the government doesn't care when your business is for entertainment and brings in billions of dollars in revenue streams for cities all around the U.S.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #279
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 767
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
i'm really starting to sour on the NFL's arrogance. This issue aside, yesterday i learned the league, which makes billions of dollars a year, doesnt pay taxes. That just doesnt seem right, especially when the federal government is laying off thousands of workers to cut expenses. Maybe some of those people would still have jobs if the NFL paid taxes like every other sports league in the country.

Yesterday, i also read that several NFL teams asked a player at the combine questions regarding his sexual orientation. I'm pretty sure thats illegal. Can you imagine the uproar if Microsoft, Walmart, or some other large company asked individuals questions about their sexual orientation on a job interview? Yet the NFL does it, and they dont give a crap.

Sooner or later, the arrogant manner they go about conducting business is going to get them in trouble. Theyre going to lose their tax exempt status or get the crap sued out of them for overt discrimination or something else. And i'm going to love it.
To be fair, thats a little misleading to just say the league doesnt pay taxes. The 32 teams do pay taxes, they just have a central office to conduct business among the 32 teams, and that is what does not pay taxes. Basically that results in each team getting a 6-7 mil tax exemption each year for "donating" money to the NFL.

I do agree with you on the big companies part, but for future reference, adding Walmart to these usually does more harm than good to your argument. Walmart considers "above minimum wage" and "health benefits" to be dirty words. They arent exactly known to be worker friendly.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #280
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
To be fair, thats a little misleading to just say the league doesnt pay taxes. The 32 teams do pay taxes, they just have a central office to conduct business among the 32 teams, and that is what does not pay taxes. Basically that results in each team getting a 6-7 mil tax exemption each year for "donating" money to the NFL.

I do agree with you on the big companies part, but for future reference, adding Walmart to these usually does more harm than good to your argument. Walmart considers "above minimum wage" and "health benefits" to be dirty words. They arent exactly known to be worker friendly.
Your right in your statement but what the article is trying to point out is that the NFL should not be listed as a "non-profit" organization. They made money above the 6-7 mill donated by each team. To include TV deals, and sales of NFL apparel. So technically the NFL should be paying taxes on the 6-7 mill as well.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #281
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

I know no one want would want to piss off their fellow owners of a business or piss off board members of a company, but in this situation knowing the fact that the Redskins and Cowboys are two teams that provide the most money toward the pot of money that gets distributed to lesser teams in the organization and have been doing so for years, I find it rather funny those teams would vote to "bite the hand that feeds them" per say.

What does Snyder have to lose? The NFL is not going to kick him out, not going to take the team away from him, so what is there to lose? Snyder is not running for a lead or head position in the NFL so if he pisses off 30 other owners, who cares?

I really hope Snyder has the balls to pull this off. What the NFL did was morally wrong, illegal at the time (collusion). The NFL had ample and I repeat ample opportunity to advise the Redskins that the contracts were not going to be approved because of whatever reason and actually had the duty to do just that. Instead the NFL approved the deals. Clearly the NFL, by not denying them, did not have an issue with how those contracts were structured at the time (prior to the new CBA) so they (the NFL) should not have standing in any claim of damage or possible future damage since they approved them thus no punishment should have been put on anyone.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #282
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Your right in your statement but what the article is trying to point out is that the NFL should not be listed as a "non-profit" organization. They made money above the 6-7 mill donated by each team. To include TV deals, and sales of NFL apparel. So technically the NFL should be paying taxes on the 6-7 mill as well.
Well, does the League offices make the money, or is it distributed directly and proportionally to all 32 teams. I doubt that the League itself "makes" money, but I don't know. For example on NFL apparel, doesn't that revenue go directly to the teams, based on whatever the agreed split is. I don't think the League gets a separate percentage of sales.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #283
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,008
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Apparently the government doesn't care when your business is for entertainment and brings in billions of dollars in revenue streams for cities all around the U.S.
My guess is that the government would care if such an issue were to be brought to court.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #284
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 29
Posts: 2,132
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

the whole thing is a joke and goodell is a crook.
__________________
Leader of the Avy boycott until this organization makes smarter choices.

R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #285
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 767
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Your right in your statement but what the article is trying to point out is that the NFL should not be listed as a "non-profit" organization. They made money above the 6-7 mill donated by each team. To include TV deals, and sales of NFL apparel. So technically the NFL should be paying taxes on the 6-7 mill as well.
I agree with you about whether the NFL should be considered non-profit. But there is a huge difference between saying the NFL doesnt pay taxes as compared to saying the individual teams get a 6-7 mil tax write off each year.
Skinzman is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.41433 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25