Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #271
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
To be fair, thats a little misleading to just say the league doesnt pay taxes. The 32 teams do pay taxes, they just have a central office to conduct business among the 32 teams, and that is what does not pay taxes. Basically that results in each team getting a 6-7 mil tax exemption each year for "donating" money to the NFL.

I do agree with you on the big companies part, but for future reference, adding Walmart to these usually does more harm than good to your argument. Walmart considers "above minimum wage" and "health benefits" to be dirty words. They arent exactly known to be worker friendly.
Your right in your statement but what the article is trying to point out is that the NFL should not be listed as a "non-profit" organization. They made money above the 6-7 mill donated by each team. To include TV deals, and sales of NFL apparel. So technically the NFL should be paying taxes on the 6-7 mill as well.
SBXVII is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #272
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

I know no one want would want to piss off their fellow owners of a business or piss off board members of a company, but in this situation knowing the fact that the Redskins and Cowboys are two teams that provide the most money toward the pot of money that gets distributed to lesser teams in the organization and have been doing so for years, I find it rather funny those teams would vote to "bite the hand that feeds them" per say.

What does Snyder have to lose? The NFL is not going to kick him out, not going to take the team away from him, so what is there to lose? Snyder is not running for a lead or head position in the NFL so if he pisses off 30 other owners, who cares?

I really hope Snyder has the balls to pull this off. What the NFL did was morally wrong, illegal at the time (collusion). The NFL had ample and I repeat ample opportunity to advise the Redskins that the contracts were not going to be approved because of whatever reason and actually had the duty to do just that. Instead the NFL approved the deals. Clearly the NFL, by not denying them, did not have an issue with how those contracts were structured at the time (prior to the new CBA) so they (the NFL) should not have standing in any claim of damage or possible future damage since they approved them thus no punishment should have been put on anyone.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #273
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,387
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Your right in your statement but what the article is trying to point out is that the NFL should not be listed as a "non-profit" organization. They made money above the 6-7 mill donated by each team. To include TV deals, and sales of NFL apparel. So technically the NFL should be paying taxes on the 6-7 mill as well.
Well, does the League offices make the money, or is it distributed directly and proportionally to all 32 teams. I doubt that the League itself "makes" money, but I don't know. For example on NFL apparel, doesn't that revenue go directly to the teams, based on whatever the agreed split is. I don't think the League gets a separate percentage of sales.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #274
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,444
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Apparently the government doesn't care when your business is for entertainment and brings in billions of dollars in revenue streams for cities all around the U.S.
My guess is that the government would care if such an issue were to be brought to court.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #275
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 29
Posts: 1,956
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

the whole thing is a joke and goodell is a crook.
__________________
NFL officiating is BY FAR the worst in proffessional sports. Except no substitutions... worse or not!!


R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #276
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Your right in your statement but what the article is trying to point out is that the NFL should not be listed as a "non-profit" organization. They made money above the 6-7 mill donated by each team. To include TV deals, and sales of NFL apparel. So technically the NFL should be paying taxes on the 6-7 mill as well.
I agree with you about whether the NFL should be considered non-profit. But there is a huge difference between saying the NFL doesnt pay taxes as compared to saying the individual teams get a 6-7 mil tax write off each year.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #277
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I know no one want would want to piss off their fellow owners of a business or piss off board members of a company, but in this situation knowing the fact that the Redskins and Cowboys are two teams that provide the most money toward the pot of money that gets distributed to lesser teams in the organization and have been doing so for years,

.
Huh?What do you mean when you say" provide the most money toward the pot pf money that gets distributed to lesser teams",how many years and how much money?
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #278
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,663
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Whenever revenue sharing started Giantone.

There is no doubt that two of the top three richest franchises in American football have been giving money to lesser teams as far as earnings since the league instituted revenue sharing.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #279
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Whenever revenue sharing started Giantone.

There is no doubt that two of the top three richest franchises in American football have been giving money to lesser teams as far as earnings since the league instituted revenue sharing.
Don't mistake the value of the franchise with revenue sharing,a very good portion of the Redskins value is tied up in real estate,same with the Cowboys.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #280
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

To clear up some questions...


Revenue Sharing in the NFL


The NFL's revenue-sharing model is universally lauded as the reason pro football continues to thrive in tiny markets like Green Bay, Wisconsin.
The bulk of the league's revenue - approximately $4 billion in 2011 - comes from broadcast deals with NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN and DirecTV. That income is shared equally among all teams. Income from licensing deals - everything from jerseys to posters to team-logo beer coolers - is also shared evenly.
Ticket revenue is split using a slightly different formula: the home team keeps 60 percent of "the gate" for each game, while the visiting team gets 40 percent.Other sources of revenue - things like the sale of luxury boxes, stadium concessions and the like - are not shared, which does give teams in bigger markets or with state-of-the-art arenas a significant edge in profitability. The new CBA attempts to remedy that in two ways. First, the league will set aside a percentage of revenue in a stadium fund, which will be used to match teams' investments in their facilities. Second, there will be an additional "luxury tax
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #281
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Don't mistake the value of the franchise with revenue sharing,a very good portion of the Redskins value is tied up in real estate,same with the Cowboys.
Lets see. If the owners agree that each "profitable" team must put forth a certain % of their profits towards the big kitty, I would presume the Redskins would be pretty close to the top 3 teams making the most and pretty sure if you take a % of that profit it's going to be more then the majority of the other teams % they have to put in.

In other words if the Skins are one of the top 3 teams as far as making the most money and all owners have to put in 10% of their profits, I'm pretty sure the Redskins 10% would be more then the majority of the other teams %'s.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #282
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
To clear up some questions...


Revenue Sharing in the NFL


The NFL's revenue-sharing model is universally lauded as the reason pro football continues to thrive in tiny markets like Green Bay, Wisconsin.
The bulk of the league's revenue - approximately $4 billion in 2011 - comes from broadcast deals with NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN and DirecTV. That income is shared equally among all teams. Income from licensing deals - everything from jerseys to posters to team-logo beer coolers - is also shared evenly.
Ticket revenue is split using a slightly different formula: the home team keeps 60 percent of "the gate" for each game, while the visiting team gets 40 percent.Other sources of revenue - things like the sale of luxury boxes, stadium concessions and the like - are not shared, which does give teams in bigger markets or with state-of-the-art arenas a significant edge in profitability. The new CBA attempts to remedy that in two ways. First, the league will set aside a percentage of revenue in a stadium fund, which will be used to match teams' investments in their facilities. Second, there will be an additional "luxury tax
Thank you for the nice break down. But forget about 60/40 splits. The top 10 or 15 most profitable teams have to put money in the revenue sharing for the bottom 10 or 15 teams. Of their total income or profits. So if the Redskins are the most profitable team in the NFL and the Giants are #12, it stands to reason the Redskins would put more money into the revenue based off % of their profits.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #283
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Thank you for the nice break down. But forget about 60/40 splits. The top 10 or 15 most profitable teams have to put money in the revenue sharing for the bottom 10 or 15 teams. Of their total income or profits. So if the Redskins are the most profitable team in the NFL and the Giants are #12, it stands to reason the Redskins would put more money into the revenue based off % of their profits.
Wow. Whatever you do, don't try to get a job as a financial analyst.

There's a major difference between profit and revenue, they are not at all the same thing.

The highest revenue generating franchises put the most money into the revenue sharing pot. Profit has nothing to do with it.

You can be the lowest revenue generator and still turn a massive profit if you skimp on costs.
Schneed10 is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #284
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Thank you for the nice break down. But forget about 60/40 splits. The top 10 or 15 most profitable teams have to put money in the revenue sharing for the bottom 10 or 15 teams. Of their total income or profits. So if the Redskins are the most profitable team in the NFL and the Giants are #12, it stands to reason the Redskins would put more money into the revenue based off % of their profits.
Did you read what I posted,the 60/40 split is ticket revenue,revenue and profit are two different things.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #285
The Starter
 
Gtothearry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,523
I'm hoping the Skins take legal action before they're forced to release important players.

@HTTR24_7: #Redskins could be forced to release LB-London Fletcher without salary cap relief from the NFL.
Gtothearry is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31561 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25