Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #361
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,950
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Build your core through the draft. You can add free agents for depth but it should not be the center of your team. Like trying to build around Haynesworth, Asomugha, or Archuleta usually does not end up well. What the skins should do in my opinion is wait and see whos available after the frenzy. I guarantee there will be players that will be available and will be cheap. Maybe Winfield will be one, heck even Hall might come back for a million dollars instead of the 8 million that was owed to him.

Make the right moves in free agency by getting cheap signings, and then build your team with 7-8 starters on both sides of the ball that were drafted by you.

Look at the "winners" in free agency the past couple of years... how many of won superbowls? Even made the playoffs?

The Eagles?
The Bucs?
The Bills?

Why not just follow what other great teams do, I want the Redskins to win superbowls, not to win free agents.
donofriose is online now  

Advertisements
Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #362
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 768
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
My point is its not about one vs the other. And with Garçon- you don't have that option. The option is to have Garcon with his salary cap hit or not have him on your team and less his salary. How much you value free agency is the real discussion. Not valuing the draft less or more. The draft is probably the most important way to build a team but the team that proved that they were the best had a good amount of Super Bowl players that made the biggest plays -that were signed through free agency.

And re-signing your own free agents is part of free agency. Please. You can't take that out of the discussion to help your argument.
Yes I can... Tom Brady has never been an NFL free agent... Ever... He is not considered a FA signing by the Pats, he is considered a Pats draft pick. I very seriously doubt that RG3 will ever hit FA either. The only reason Peyton Manning hit it was because Peyton Manning #2 was available to be drafted by the team that owned the rights to Peyton Manning #1. Excuse the pun, but Indy had a nice bit of Luck with how that fell into place.

I have also told you how much I value FA. I value it as a supplemental thing to help build the team. Nothing more than that. I personally do not believe that not being able to sign everyone we want in FA to be a curse.

Honestly, if Vinny were still in charge, I would drive to NY and thank Mara personally for forcing us to concentrate on the draft.

As you have said yourself, SB teams have a handful of free agents. Handful usually means a few but not many. So that sounds right to me. Built through the draft primarily and supplemented with FA.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #363
Impact Rookie
 
IrMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 636
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Personally I like the Garcon argument. Too much money and he could be replaced. HOWEVER, this isn't the summer to make any noise. Let's remain slow and methodical and try and salvage the season despite having no money. Worst case scenario we go into next summer with a 24/25 year old pro bowl quarterback and 30+ million in cap space.

EDIT: Actually it isn't worst case scenario, it's guaranteed.
__________________
One of Canada's two Redskins fans.
IrMitchell is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #364
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,889
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Personally I like the Garcon argument. Too much money and he could be replaced. HOWEVER, this isn't the summer to make any noise. Let's remain slow and methodical and try and salvage the season despite having no money. Worst case scenario we go into next summer with a 24/25 year old pro bowl quarterback and 30+ million in cap space.

EDIT: Actually it isn't worst case scenario, it's guaranteed.
An automatic $18 mil in cap space in 2014, and hopefully a HEALTHY pro bowl QB. I hope Mike Shanahan gets an extension too, based on what he's done in building this team so far.
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #365
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 768
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Need to be careful about saying an automatic 18 mil in cap space next year. We have already pushed some money back to next year and taken up some of that, but yes we should definitely be in better shape.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #366
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,889
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Need to be careful about saying an automatic 18 mil in cap space next year. We have already pushed some money back to next year and taken up some of that, but yes we should definitely be in better shape.
Ah, good point, thanks.
HailGreen28 is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #367
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Yes I can... Tom Brady has never been an NFL free agent... Ever... He is not considered a FA signing by the Pats, he is considered a Pats draft pick. I very seriously doubt that RG3 will ever hit FA either. The only reason Peyton Manning hit it was because Peyton Manning #2 was available to be drafted by the team that owned the rights to Peyton Manning #1. Excuse the pun, but Indy had a nice bit of Luck with how that fell into place.

I have also told you how much I value FA. I value it as a supplemental thing to help build the team. Nothing more than that. I personally do not believe that not being able to sign everyone we want in FA to be a curse.

Honestly, if Vinny were still in charge, I would drive to NY and thank Mara personally for forcing us to concentrate on the draft.

As you have said yourself, SB teams have a handful of free agents. Handful usually means a few but not many. So that sounds right to me. Built through the draft primarily and supplemented with FA.
Didn't read but your first statement. And let say again - Please. Tell that to the damn Ravens.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #368
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Personally I like the Garcon argument. Too much money and he could be replaced. HOWEVER, this isn't the summer to make any noise. Let's remain slow and methodical and try and salvage the season despite having no money. Worst case scenario we go into next summer with a 24/25 year old pro bowl quarterback and 30+ million in cap space.

EDIT: Actually it isn't worst case scenario, it's guaranteed.
Garçon can be replaced? With who? I think this shows your football IQ. Who was a big part of the season ending redskins streak? Without him the Redskins probably lose at least one or two of those games and don't make it to the playoffs.

Last edited by warriorzpath; 03-14-2013 at 01:35 AM.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #369
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

I just can't believe these 2 recent statements:
1) Re-signing free agents aren't considered a part of free agency.
2) Garçon can be replaced.

which I can add to someone's statement earlier in the week: he didn't say -will. He said- will be able to. I can't even begin to address how wrong these statements are. I just stare at them and just shake my head for like 5 minutes.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #370
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 768
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Didn't read but your first statement. And let say again - Please. Tell that to the damn Ravens.
Tell the damn Ravens what? That they won the SB with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Joe Flacco, Torrey Smith, Hiloti Ngata, ect. Ozzie Newsome is one of the GM's who looks to draft first and add free agents second. That statement does not mean that Ozzie would never sign a free agent. No one has ever said signing zero free agents is the best way to build a team. How Ozzie does it is EXACTLY how I think it should be done. Build with the draft and supplement with FA.

Since the Super Bowl is such a huge argument for you. In the last 13 Super Bowls, 12 of the MVP's have been drafted by their respective team. The only one not to was Drew Brees.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #371
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Tell the damn Ravens what? That they won the SB with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Joe Flacco, Torrey Smith, Hiloti Ngata, ect. Ozzie Newsome is one of the GM's who looks to draft first and add free agents second. That statement does not mean that Ozzie would never sign a free agent. No one has ever said signing zero free agents is the best way to build a team. How Ozzie does it is EXACTLY how I think it should be done. Build with the draft and supplement with FA.

Since the Super Bowl is such a huge argument for you. In the last 13 Super Bowls, 12 of the MVP's have been drafted by their respective team. The only one not to was Drew Brees.
That the idea of re-signing your own free agents is not a part of free agency. And like I said before- I only read your first statement. All that other stuff is mumbo jumbo.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #372
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

You said you don't count re-signing your own free agents as part of free agency. Tell that to the Ravens who are losing big players because they didn't re-sign theirs. But yeah that doesn't count right?
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #373
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 768
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I just can't believe these 2 recent statements:
1) Re-signing free agents aren't considered a part of free agency.
2) Garçon can be replaced.

which I can add to someone's statement earlier in the week: he didn't say -will. He said- will be able to. I can't even begin to address how wrong these statements are. I just stare at them and just shake my head for like 5 minutes.
You honestly dont understand the difference between "I ~will~ go to Hawaii on vacation" or "I ~will be able to~ go to Hawaii on vacation"?

You are shaking your head for 5 minutes because you dont seem to understand basic English.

Also tell me when Tom Brady was ever a Free Agent. For that to happen, he actually has to hit Free Agency. The Pats have never let anyone bid on Brady's services because they never let him hit Free Agency. If he was never a Free Agent, then he was never a Free Agent. If he was never a Free Agent, then he has never signed a Free Agent contract. Seems pretty basic to me.

One of the problems is that you consider people on their first contract ONLY to be draft picks. Ask anyone if Tom Brady was a draft pick by the Pats or a Free Agent signing by the Pats. Im pretty sure the general consensus will be that he falls in the drafted camp and not the Free Agent signing camp.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #374
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 768
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
You said you don't count re-signing your own free agents as part of free agency. Tell that to the Ravens who are losing big players because they didn't re-sign theirs. But yeah that doesn't count right?
Losing players due to the cap has nothing to do with what we have been talking about the whole time. No team can sign everyone.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #375
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Good/Bad News for a Change - 2013 18MM cap penalty probably (not) going away

And I said the draft is the most important part of obtaining talent. Why in the heck do you keep ignoring that? Is it like ignoring the re-signing of your own free agents being part of free agency? It's just convenient to your argument isn't it?
warriorzpath is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29029 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25