Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #316
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
RG3's knee accident was a a freakish accident that would have screwed up anyone. I don't think it has anything to do with his frame or his ability to play more than 12 games.
A few thoughts:

1) The accident wouldnt have happened to Peyton Manning because he's a statue and doesnt move around.

2) I honestly dont know if we know for 100% certainty which play actually did the "real" damage to RGIII's knee.

3) We are both looking at the same data (of which neither of us have all the info) and trying to take that information to project the future (which neither of us can do). You think its just a freak accident that happened in RGIIIs first season of playing football more than 12-13 weeks, and everything will be back and he'll be fine. Thats a reasonable projection. I think its just as reasonable to think "this guy missed a year in college for injuring his knee and in his first NFL season, he reinjures the same knee... this isnt good." Where you see randomness, i see a pattern forming.

Quote:
I don't understand why people don't chill the F out and just wait and see what happens next season with RG3's recovery and Cousins' ability to play. I know we'd like to speculate, but I think we are bordering on pulling things out of our asses with these speculations.
I get where youre coming from, but there really isnt much else to talk about. We're less than a week removed from hearing RGIII had major surgery - i would think something would be wrong with us as fans if we WEREN'T talking about this.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  

Advertisements
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #317
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,596
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
RG3's knee accident was a a freakish accident that would have screwed up anyone. I don't think it has anything to do with his frame or his ability to play more than 12 games.

I don't understand why people don't chill the F out and just wait and see what happens next season with RG3's recovery and Cousins' ability to play. I know we'd like to speculate, but I think we are bordering on pulling things out of our asses with these speculations.
The art of football forums
GridIron26 is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #318
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,404
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
A few thoughts:

1) The accident wouldnt have happened to Peyton Manning because he's a statue and doesnt move around.

2) I honestly dont know if we know for 100% certainty which play actually did the "real" damage to RGIII's knee.

3) We are both looking at the same data (of which neither of us have all the info) and trying to take that information to project the future (which neither of us can do). You think its just a freak accident that happened in RGIIIs first season of playing football more than 12-13 weeks, and everything will be back and he'll be fine. Thats a reasonable projection. I think its just as reasonable to think "this guy missed a year in college for injuring his knee and in his first NFL season, he reinjures the same knee... this isnt good." Where you see randomness, i see a pattern forming.

I get where youre coming from, but there really isnt much else to talk about. We're less than a week removed from hearing RGIII had major surgery - i would think something would be wrong with us as fans if we WEREN'T talking about this.
I keep looking at the play when Ngata hit RG3 and the way RG3's knee got twisted. I don't care if you are Cam Newton, Russell Wilson (who is way smaller than RG3), Colin K., Big Ben, or any other mobile or running QB, your knee is going to get f'ed up. My point is that whether RG3 is 6'2"/217 lbs. or 6'5"/230 lbs., if your knee bends that way, you are screwed.

I think there is legitimate concern about him having his knee injured again. But plenty of people have come back from injuries such as Rivers back in 2007 or Willis McGahee. People forget how McGahee shredded his knee at the Fiesta Bowl in 2003 (he tore just about every CL there is on his knee). And was able to come back to have a good career.

I would first like to see how he recovers before I make outlandish statements about trading RG3 and keeping Cousins and all the other non-sense you keep hearing.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #319
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I keep looking at the play when Ngata hit RG3 and the way RG3's knee got twisted. I don't care if you are Cam Newton, Russell Wilson (who is way smaller than RG3), Colin K., Big Ben, or any other mobile or running QB, your knee is going to get f'ed up. My point is that whether RG3 is 6'2"/217 lbs. or 6'5"/230 lbs., if your knee bends that way, you are screwed.

I think there is legitimate concern about him having his knee injured again. But plenty of people have come back from injuries such as Rivers back in 2007 or Willis McGahee. People forget how McGahee shredded his knee at the Fiesta Bowl in 2003 (he tore just about every CL there is on his knee). And was able to come back to have a good career.

I would first like to see how he recovers before I make outlandish statements about trading RG3 and keeping Cousins and all the other non-sense you keep hearing.
Back during the Eagles Redskins game I commented that I would not be surprised to see RG3 in surgery after our season ends. I was immediately called crazy but it wasn't craziness, it was common sense.

RG3, as much as we all like him, most likely will continue to be injury prone because of his style of play, take away his style of play and lose RG3 as we know him anyway. Either way, RG3 will not (can not) be the type of QB he was.

Lets not forget he also suffered a concussion this season, a few more of them and he's joining Aikman in the booth..

The observation at this point is not looking good for RG3's future health, projected from what we have seen thus far.

As far as nonsense talk about keeping Cousins, if Cousins where to bring the Skins to the playoffs nonsense would become commonsense.

With that said, anything can happen and I am hoping for the best regarding RG3... Nothing wrong with speculating IMO.
44ever is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #320
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,404
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Back during the Eagles Redskins game I commented that I would not be surprised to see RG3 in surgery after our season ends. I was immediately called crazy but it wasn't craziness, it was common sense.

RG3, as much as we all like him, most likely will continue to be injury prone because of his style of play, take away his style of play and lose RG3 as we know him anyway. Either way, RG3 will not (can not) be the type of QB he was.

Lets not forget he also suffered a concussion this season, a few more of them and he's joining Aikman in the booth..

The observation at this point is not looking good for RG3's future health, projected from what we have seen thus far.

As far as nonsense talk about keeping Cousins, if Cousins where to bring the Skins to the playoffs nonsense would become commonsense.

With that said, anything can happen and I am hoping for the best regarding RG3... Nothing wrong with speculating IMO.
I don't see anything wrong with RG3 becoming a mobile (not running) QB like Big Ben or Rodgers. I am not saying that RG3 is going to be healthy forever, but some people act like he's going to be Ryan Matthews or someone like that.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #321
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,181
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I keep looking at the play when Ngata hit RG3 and the way RG3's knee got twisted. I don't care if you are Cam Newton, Russell Wilson (who is way smaller than RG3), Colin K., Big Ben, or any other mobile or running QB, your knee is going to get f'ed up. My point is that whether RG3 is 6'2"/217 lbs. or 6'5"/230 lbs., if your knee bends that way, you are screwed.

I think there is legitimate concern about him having his knee injured again. But plenty of people have come back from injuries such as Rivers back in 2007 or Willis McGahee. People forget how McGahee shredded his knee at the Fiesta Bowl in 2003 (he tore just about every CL there is on his knee). And was able to come back to have a good career.

I would first like to see how he recovers before I make outlandish statements about trading RG3 and keeping Cousins and all the other non-sense you keep hearing.
wilson (5'11" 206) is way smaller than griff (6'2" 217) like mike tyson (5'10" 230) is way smaller than brock osweiler (6'7" 242)

*edit, added heights and weights of these fellas
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81

Last edited by los panda; 01-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
los panda is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #322
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't see anything wrong with RG3 becoming a mobile (not running) QB like Big Ben or Rodgers. I am not saying that RG3 is going to be healthy forever, but some people act like he's going to be Ryan Matthews or someone like that.
Strait talk... No question he will be back. No doubt he can be a dangerous mobile QB. He has demonstrated he can also be dangerous in the pocket. I guess the question is going to be, can he limit himself and still play all out? Bigger question is, will he limit himself or go back to what he does best?

Definitely a wait and see.
44ever is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #323
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 12,792
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Strait talk... No question he will be back. No doubt he can be a dangerous mobile QB. He has demonstrated he can also be dangerous in the pocket. I guess the question is going to be, can he limit himself and still play all out? Bigger question is, will he limit himself or go back to what he does best?

Definitely a wait and see.
RG3 and limit don't even go together.

The guy is going to go back out there and push himself. Unless that knee is really killing him or Shanahan explicitly tells him that it's okay to run around but limit the long runs, Griff is going to try to be the Griff he was prior to the injury.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #324
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,237
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't see anything wrong with RG3 becoming a mobile (not running) QB like Big Ben or Rodgers. I am not saying that RG3 is going to be healthy forever, but some people act like he's going to be Ryan Matthews or someone like that.
I think later in his career he has the arm and the ability to become a mobile, but not running QB. I think the next few years he will continue to be a running QB. The problem isn't the fact that RG3 is a running QB, the problem is he is a reckless runner. He's constantly looking for an extra 2 yards, a cut back lane, etc.

Even in the playoff game, he took multiple hits he could have avoided. Learn to slide. Learn to run out of bounds. Learn to throw the ball away. Live to fight another day. We get it. You're tough. You're also a bit stupid. Don't fight for those extra 2 yards in the 2nd quarter when you already got a first down.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #325
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,108
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Strait talk... No question he will be back. No doubt he can be a dangerous mobile QB. He has demonstrated he can also be dangerous in the pocket. I guess the question is going to be, can he limit himself and still play all out? Bigger question is, will he limit himself or go back to what he does best?

Definitely a wait and see.
Why will it matter if Kirk Cousins is the future though?
mooby is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #326
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,404
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
wilson (5'11" 206) is way smaller than griff (6'2" 217) like mike tyson (5'10" 230) is way smaller than brock osweiler (6'7" 242)

*edit, added heights and weights of these fellas
Point taken. Still my argument is that no matter how big or small your body frame is, I think a knee bending the way it shouldn't is going to get injured.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #327
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 12,792
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
why will it matter if kirk cousins is the future though?
zing!
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #328
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,013
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I think later in his career he has the arm and the ability to become a mobile, but not running QB. I think the next few years he will continue to be a running QB. The problem isn't the fact that RG3 is a running QB, the problem is he is a reckless runner. He's constantly looking for an extra 2 yards, a cut back lane, etc.

Even in the playoff game, he took multiple hits he could have avoided. Learn to slide. Learn to run out of bounds. Learn to throw the ball away. Live to fight another day. We get it. You're tough. You're also a bit stupid. Don't fight for those extra 2 yards in the 2nd quarter when you already got a first down.
I think that you are right.

Sooner or later Gryphon is destined to become less of a runner. Running backs burn out and leave the league early; running QB's who can throw have much longer careers during which they become less mobile and become more pure pocket passers (I'm thinking Moon, Cunningham, Elway, or perhaps McNair here).

It seems to me that the worst-case scenario of Gryphon's recovery is the hastening of his becoming more of a pure pocket passer earlier in his career - a pocket passer who is a beast, by the way.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #329
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,181
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Point taken. Still my argument is that no matter how big or small your body frame is, I think a knee bending the way it shouldn't is going to get injured.
i can dig it, it's true
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #330
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: RGIII undergoing total reconstructive surgery: out 6-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think this speaks to the warrior mentality players have. When we ask why RG3 didn't take himself out, consider this

Dan Le Batard: Jason Taylor’s pain shows NFL’s world of hurt - Dan Le Batard - MiamiHerald.com
For a sport? That's way beyond what I would have expected.
RedskinRat is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33873 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25