Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


To Read Option, or Not

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #91
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Maybe it's semantics to some, but until a team running the read-option wins the SB it's a gimmick to me. And I don't think it's an accident we don't see the very best teams who have very mobile QBs running it i.e. Aaron Rogers has fantastic mobility and shows it plenty to scramble/extend plays, but you don't see Mike McCarthy sending Rogers up the gut with the pigskin. It's retarded to use your franchise QB as a running back, period. Another enchilada to use a guy like Kaepernick or Wilson who cost you very little.
I think that the 49ers and Seahawks would argue that their qbs are franchise qbs. And I don't like sticking up for another team, but the 49ers proved that they were one of the best teams in the nfl.

And I don't want to start arguing about the details of the read option and the misconception of using the qb as a running back.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #92
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Check the stats and tape again. Aaron Rodgers has averaged 4 rushes per game over the last three years. Some of these are scrambles but some are designed runs in which Rodgers runs "up the gut with the pigskin." If you watch the tape, you'll see that some of these designed runs are based on zone read concepts.

Aaron Rodgers | Green Bay Packers | NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Wrong example to make your point.
I can't tell if your serious or not, but I'll play along for a minute. Every QB in the history of the game runs a sneak, typically at the goal line or on very short yardage. Beyond that, I've never seen Rogers keep the ball on say, 2nd and 8, for the sake of keeping the ball. If you've seen it, please post it. What we do see is Rogers scramble out of a collapsed pocket, and picking up so good yardage there. Though I'll say he's extremely careful to avoid hits i.e. sliding long before there could be contact or heading out of bounds. Hopefully this is what Shanahan ultimately envisions for RG.

Again, the notion of making your designated franchise QB a RB at the pro level is way outside the norm. Vick is really the only other example, and he held up far better than RG as a comparison i.e. Vick didn't sustain repeated major injuries as a rookie. The bottom line is it hasn't worked for any team in terms of long-term success, and won't work unless the league somehow makes hits to the QB off-limits in all circumstances.

Arguing otherwise is just absurd. It's not supported by the evidence or common sense.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #93
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: To Read Option, or Not

There's no way to tell what the Niners and/or Seahawks would do in our situation i.e. using a 2nd overall pick they mortgaged the future of the franchise to get as a RB. Whether Wilson/Kaepernick are considered franchise QBs is debatable, but it's irrelevant to the discussion because those situations are nothing like ours.

I guess you can believe the hype about the read-option, but it was run very well by San Fran and was basically shut down by the first great/disciplined defense they faced in the playoffs. And that was on minimal game tape and review. Every defensive coordinator/unit in the league has time to review it now. Betting on the read-option is a long-shot at this point, unless you've predetermined you cannot compete with a traditional offensive system ala the Ravens, Pats, Broncos, Giants, Saints and Packers.

The weight of evidence here isn't even close at this point.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #94
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,632
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I can't tell if your serious or not, but I'll play along for a minute. Every QB in the history of the game runs a sneak, typically at the goal line or on very short yardage. Beyond that, I've never seen Rogers keep the ball on say, 2nd and 8, for the sake of keeping the ball. If you've seen it, please post it. What we do see is Rogers scramble out of a collapsed pocket, and picking up so good yardage there. Though I'll say he's extremely careful to avoid hits i.e. sliding long before there could be contact or heading out of bounds. Hopefully this is what Shanahan ultimately envisions for RG.

Again, the notion of making your designated franchise QB a RB at the pro level is way outside the norm. Vick is really the only other example, and he held up far better than RG as a comparison i.e. Vick didn't sustain repeated major injuries as a rookie. The bottom line is it hasn't worked for any team in terms of long-term success, and won't work unless the league somehow makes hits to the QB off-limits in all circumstances.

Arguing otherwise is just absurd. It's not supported by the evidence or common sense.
Of course I am serious. And you are mistaken.

I do not have time to splice film together demonstrating that the Packers do in fact send Aaron Rodgers "up the gut" on intentional runs. However, in the brief time that I have had to look, I still found this film of an intentional QB draw:

Fact is, the Packers and Aaron Rodgers have had long-term success with the franchise QB running the ball intentionally. Aaron Rodgers engages in intentional runs frequently. Please adjust your argument to reflect reality.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #95
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: To Read Option, or Not

^^^ LOL to the above. I just said every team/QB in football runs a sneak (or draw, which is just the delayed version) near the goal line or in short yardage, and that's exactly what you found.

From the stats page you linked, Rogers hasn't run anywhere near as many yards as RG or Vick for that matter. And again, apart from the goal line and short yardage I've never seen him, or any other franchise QB since Vick, tucking the ball as the primary running option the way RG does.

You just don't see it, and for good reason.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #96
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: To Read Option, or Not

I do think there's an argument for it though with a guy like Kaepernick in San Fran. As a franchise, you didn't sacrifice much for him in the first place, and he's a bigger dude than RG.

Apples and oranges comparing those two guys for a whole bevy of reasons.

I don't know what to think of Wilson, except that from what little I watched of him he's already very good and avoiding contact.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #97
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,678
Re: To Read Option, or Not

What the hell is your stupid point? That teams shouldn't utilize their players' full talents? That offensive concepts shouldn't evolve?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #98
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,632
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Last year Kyle fielded an offense unlike any that has ever been seen before in the NFL. Certainly concepts were borrowed: read option, West Coast schemes, etc. But the way he put those pieces together was new. We frequently ran formations which had never before been seen on an NFL field. The result: near the top of the league in both rushing and passing.

What Kyle did was creatively and effectively innovate. He showed that he can successfully implement original offensive concepts.

If people don't see this, and call what we did a "gimmick" instead, they are not appreciating the game of football. Or Kyle for that matter. What a shame.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #99
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,062
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What the hell is your stupid point? That teams shouldn't utilize their players' full talents? That offensive concepts shouldn't evolve?
That is what I got from it. My mom always told me when we go to the zoo that I shouldn't feed the bears. She never said what to do with the goats. I may need to call her later tonight.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #100
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I do think there's an argument for it though with a guy like Kaepernick in San Fran. As a franchise, you didn't sacrifice much for him in the first place, and he's a bigger dude than RG.

Apples and oranges comparing those two guys for a whole bevy of reasons.

I don't know what to think of Wilson, except that from what little I watched of him he's already very good and avoiding contact.
You know you changed your argument. You were arguing it was a gimmick offense because it wasn't run by the best teams. Now you're saying you can run it, but not with RGIII. Is it a gimmick or not?
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #101
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,678
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
That is what I got from it. My mom always told me when we go to the zoo that I shouldn't feed the bears. She never said what to do with the goats. I may need to call her later tonight.
The student has surpassed the teacher. Wise words my friend. Wise words
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #102
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,808
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Don't get sucked into the vortex.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #103
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Last year Kyle fielded an offense unlike any that has ever been seen before in the NFL. Certainly concepts were borrowed: read option, West Coast schemes, etc. But the way he put those pieces together was new. We frequently ran formations which had never before been seen on an NFL field. The result: near the top of the league in both rushing and passing.

What Kyle did was creatively and effectively innovate. He showed that he can successfully implement original offensive concepts.

If people don't see this, and call what we did a "gimmick" instead, they are not appreciating the game of football. Or Kyle for that matter. What a shame.
Boom roasted
FRPLG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #104
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Don't get sucked into the vortex.
You'll notice I am still sitting quietly in the corner. I concede, however, that I am pointing and laughing at a certain someone's devotion to stupidity.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #105
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
... If people don't see this, and call what we did a "gimmick" instead, they are not appreciating the game of football. Or Kyle for that matter. What a shame.
Clearly, you know nothing about football.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30584 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25