Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #196
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 762
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Im just curious about something. A question to the people who thinks Roger Goodell deserves less money.

Where do you think that extra money will go?

Very simple answer... It gets split evenly by the owners and put into their pockets. You arent getting cheaper beer at a game if Roger takes a paycut. You arent getting cheaper tickets if Roger takes a paycut. Every last one of you would say the Commisioner of the NFL is underpaid... If it was your job.

As much as I am not a fan of the guy, the fact is, every owner looks at the bottom line. Im sure Dan Snyder doesnt like Goodell on Monday through Thursday, but when his paycheck gets deposited into his bank on Friday, im sure Dan agrees with the job that Goodell is doing.

CEO's, COO's, ect are paid based on how profitable a company/corporation is. Its based on whether the consumer will spend money on your product, not whether the consumers like the CEO's or COO's.

So if the goal is to make sure that the owners are the only people who get paid in the NFL, then so be it. If thats not the goal, then why complain when they pay someone else. I would rather the NFL give bonuses and extra money to the employees of the NFL over the 32 owners keeping it all.
Skinzman is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #197
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,356
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Super Bowl in New York - stoopid
Expansion to Europe - stoopid
Fines fines and more fines - stoopid
Kowtowing to to a select group of owners - stoopid

Goodel is a twit.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #198
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,703
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I think you are wrong.
Well that's not much of an argument. ...lol.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #199
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,964
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Amazing how successful the league is all in spite of Goodell. If he was truly ruining the game it sure hasn't shown on the bottom line. As usual, nobody likes the boss.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #200
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,197
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Well that's not much of an argument. ...lol.


post #214
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #201
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,197
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Super Bowl in New York - stoopid
Expansion to Europe - stoopid
Fines fines and more fines - stoopid
Kowtowing to to a select group of owners - stoopid

Goodel is a twit.


Now that is an argument.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #202
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,703
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
post #214
I believe there was some kind of poll among players and it was very much not in RG's favor. The players do not like the guy. To me that carries a lot more weight than what we think.

Last edited by skinsfan69; 02-17-2013 at 11:57 AM.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #203
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,703
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Amazing how successful the league is all in spite of Goodell. If he was truly ruining the game it sure hasn't shown on the bottom line. As usual, nobody likes the boss.
The league would be successful with or without him. Also Paul T or Pete R was was not this disliked among players.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #204
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,964
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The league would be successful with or without him. Also Paul T or Pete R was was not this disliked among players.
They also didn't have to deal with tough issues like concussions/player safety along with social media.

A good commish is the backbone of a strong league. Just look at some of the other commissioners in the big 4. Long term sustained success doesn't happen by accident.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #205
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 762
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The league would be successful with or without him. Also Paul T or Pete R was was not this disliked among players.
At the time?... Or now?

With approximately 5000 lawsuits by former players or their families against the NFL for actions committed under their stewardship, you cant *honestly* make that statement as it applies to today. The lawsuits dont claim that Goodell was lying to them, they are claiming Pete and Paul were.

Players dont like the direction, but the status quo has the players suing once they retire. Thats not a sustainable model for a professional league.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #206
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,399
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I'll tell you where that money could be going. To the retired players. Especially the ones with major injuries and problems. Yes, I know there is already money going to retired players, but there can be more going to them and research towards some if these brain injuries and other major head trauma tests to find better ways and cures if you will towards playing football.

Also that money could be going to little leagues and high schools as part of the play 60 program (or whatever its called) to help the underprivileged kids get football equipment and help their schools get money for other football needs. There are tons and I mean tons, of football programs across the country that pop up in poor areas where the kids may have talent, but the parents and/or the program may not have the money for pads and other equipment.

I just gave you 2 major places where the NFL could put $20 million, instead of in Rogers pocket. He doesn't play and he was the highest paid person in the league last year. Where is his jersey?
I agree. And the NFL was strong and popular long before RG came along. I think he benefited from the NFL much more than the other way around.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #207
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 762
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I'll tell you where that money could be going. To the retired players. Especially the ones with major injuries and problems. Yes, I know there is already money going to retired players, but there can be more going to them and research towards some if these brain injuries and other major head trauma tests to find better ways and cures if you will towards playing football.

Also that money could be going to little leagues and high schools as part of the play 60 program (or whatever its called) to help the underprivileged kids get football equipment and help their schools get money for other football needs. There are tons and I mean tons, of football programs across the country that pop up in poor areas where the kids may have talent, but the parents and/or the program may not have the money for pads and other equipment.

I just gave you 2 major places where the NFL could put $20 million, instead of in Rogers pocket. He doesn't play and he was the highest paid person in the league last year. Where is his jersey?
So your point is that it is 100% the fault of the Goodells salary as to why these things arent already being done? Your point is that there is absolutely no possible way there is any extra money in the NFL now to take care of these things without cutting Goodells salary?

I completely disagree with both of those contentions.

The salary of NFL employees has nothing to do with your semantics as to where some money could go. The owners could put 20 million to those causes, give Goodell a 20 mil per year raise on top of the already 30 mil he is getting now, and the owners are STILL raking in the money.

So while NFL owners could strip Goodell of 20 mil a year and donate it to either of those two causes, donate it to the homeless, donate it to cure cancer, or donate it to strippers anonymous, they wont.... They would put that 20 mil in their own pockets if they took it from Goodell
Skinzman is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #208
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,335
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

While I do not expect people to “like” Roger Goodell, I have to disagree with some of the arguments being made.

The initial question is whether RG is overpaid. I would say probably but maybe not. The NFL is an entertainment business; they are not saving lives or providing a critical need to society. If you view it that way, then just about everyone in the league is overpaid. Then again, his salary is probably similar, if not lower, compared to some of the CEOs/COOs in Wall Street: The Year's Highest Paid CEOs - WSJ.com

Is RG ruining football? That is a resounding NO. The success of the league is most likely measured in two manners: profits and popularity. As I mentioned before, the league is the most profitable compared to the other sports league and it is the most popular in attendance and TV ratings:
sports-recreation-leisure-market-research - Industry Statistics

When Tagliabue left the league in 2006, the NFL had a league revenue of $6 billion dollars, in 2012 that number is estimated at around $9.5 billion. If you think that a person who has increased revenue by about $500 million dollars per year (if my math is correct) is ruining your business, you are not a smart person.
American sports: In a league of its own | The Economist

Has RG been perfect as a commissioner in his tenure? No, and no one is making that argument. Under RG’s watch the following things have happened: Spygate, Bountygate, Capgate, Replacement Refs, the Decline of the Pro Bowl, the Lockout, and the Arbitrariness of Fines/Discipline. RG has been involved in some way, shape, or form in these issues; and has made his share of bad decisions in dealing with them.

Is RG solely to blame for these issues? No. OWNERS, Players, the NFLPA, and Greed has played a big part in these issues.

Who runs the NFL? THE OWNERS. Anything that happens or doesn’t happen in the NFL, is because a majority of the OWNERS agreed (or disagreed) upon it. In a lot of the cases, Goodell is the messenger or enforcer to these decisions. And because of naïve/uninformed fans, he solely takes the heat for it. I think The Lockout was the first time that people actually blamed someone else other than Goodell.

Finally, is he popular among the players? Definitely no, especially if you ask crybabies like James Harrison or Jonathan Vilma (who can b*tch about it on Twitter and Faceboo), who don’t own up to their mistakes and take responsibility for screwing things up (because they are looking out for their own profits). Thanks to Vilma, now every player is going to lawyer up and are going to get away with crap. In the end though, I am sure the OWNERS don’t care whether RG is popular with the players, as long as the profit and ratings keep coming in.

In the end, if you say that RG is overpaid you might be right, but it probably has more to do with how you “feel” about him. If you are saying that RG is ruining football, you are making an uninformed statement, once again based on “feelings” and not facts. I personally dislike a number of things Goodell has made in the past (sweeping Spygate under the rug, keep trying to push the Pro Bowl, and saying everything was okay during the Ref Lockout), but as I’ve argued it is likely that he wasn’t solely responsible for those actions. He is not a dictator.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #209
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,197
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
No, No, NO. Nowhere do I say that. I don't understand even where you get that implication. .


Post #229 you said ....

"First, the whole committee. As the head of the committee, which Roger is, you are there to take the whole blame or the whole appraise or half and half, whatever. So us saying its Rogers fault is still the correct thing to do. "
Roger is not the head of the committee...

http://www.nflevolution.com/wordpres...ts-2-14-12.pdf
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #210
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,197
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
by appraise I don't mean money, I mean praise; like; thanks;applause. Should have used a better word.
Noone thought money ,you blamed RG for all the problems in the NFL.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32510 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25