Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #211
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
1) How is he ruining the game?

2)Why is he overpaid?
He is ruining the game because he is worried too much about safety. Pretty soon it'll be two hand touch football or flag football with the ridiculous fines and penalties there are for illegal hits. (He created the Tom Brady rule; no hitting a QB anywhere near his legs, during or after the play.)

He made the rule change of kicking off from the 35 as opposed to the 30, causing way less kick returns.

He wants to widen the field.

He has eliminate touchdown celebrations that go 'over the top'.

He wants to make football an 18 game season (which contradicts the whole safety idea of his because he's making his players getting contacted more than less)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but like I said and will stress again, he has fined players for RIDICULOUS things.
-Ryan Clark $5,000 for eyeblack of 21 in honor of Sean Taylor when he died
- Frank Gore $10,000 for not having high enough socks
- Plaxico Burress $5,000 for toss a football into the stands
- Antonio Brown fined $10,000 for running backwards while scoring a TD
- Urlacher fined $100,000 for wearing a vitamin water hat at super bowl media day
- Sheldon Brown fined $10,000 for wearing a Jason Mask during pregame/run out of the tunnel introductions

------
Your second question why is Goodell over paid?

Well for starters, the NBA commission makes an ESPN reported $15-16 million/year. The MLBs commissioner makes $18 million per year. Goodell makes $29+ million/year. He should be making around what these other guys make. Baseball and Basketball have more games, yes. But one major difference between football and the other two sports is that the other two sports are more popular worldwide. And as for in this country and popularity, football is the most popular sport, but not enough to be a clear cut popularity choice over the other two sports. Its not like Goodell is doing a lot more than the other guys too. He's doing just as much as Selieg and Stern (and Bettman).

All sport commissioners are overpaid. These are guys who should be making $5 million annually max. If the president of the US is $400,000 a year, and Roger Goodell is making almost $30 million a year, America, we've got a problem.

I really don't need any more stats or facts about "Why do you think Goodell is overpaid?" Maybe I should be asking you, "Why do you think Goodell is worth a ridiculous sum of money?"
CultBrennan59 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #212
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,339
Yeah a larger field is just stupid. It's been the same for years now and I really hope they don't change it to the cfl style. Honestly if it comes down to games annually being like 48-40 I won't watch much anymore. It's really y I'm not a huge college fan and I live in Oklahoma where OU is everything.. college for the most part has NO. Defense at all and it's just boring. It's like playing Madden on rookie. No challenge
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #213
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
He is ruining the game because he is worried too much about safety. Pretty soon it'll be two hand touch football or flag football with the ridiculous fines and penalties there are for illegal hits. (He created the Tom Brady rule; no hitting a QB anywhere near his legs, during or after the play.)

He made the rule change of kicking off from the 35 as opposed to the 30, causing way less kick returns.

He wants to widen the field.

He has eliminate touchdown celebrations that go 'over the top'.

He wants to make football an 18 game season (which contradicts the whole safety idea of his because he's making his players getting contacted more than less)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but like I said and will stress again, he has fined players for RIDICULOUS things.
-Ryan Clark $5,000 for eyeblack of 21 in honor of Sean Taylor when he died
- Frank Gore $10,000 for not having high enough socks
- Plaxico Burress $5,000 for toss a football into the stands
- Antonio Brown fined $10,000 for running backwards while scoring a TD
- Urlacher fined $100,000 for wearing a vitamin water hat at super bowl media day
- Sheldon Brown fined $10,000 for wearing a Jason Mask during pregame/run out of the tunnel introductions

------
Your second question why is Goodell over paid?

Well for starters, the NBA commission makes an ESPN reported $15-16 million/year. The MLBs commissioner makes $18 million per year. Goodell makes $29+ million/year. He should be making around what these other guys make. Baseball and Basketball have more games, yes. But one major difference between football and the other two sports is that the other two sports are more popular worldwide. And as for in this country and popularity, football is the most popular sport, but not enough to be a clear cut popularity choice over the other two sports. Its not like Goodell is doing a lot more than the other guys too. He's doing just as much as Selieg and Stern (and Bettman).

All sport commissioners are overpaid. These are guys who should be making $5 million annually max. If the president of the US is $400,000 a year, and Roger Goodell is making almost $30 million a year, America, we've got a problem.

I really don't need any more stats or facts about "Why do you think Goodell is overpaid?" Maybe I should be asking you, "Why do you think Goodell is worth a ridiculous sum of money?"
I literally agree with this entire post
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #214
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,801
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Not to mention the ridiculous 50k fine against Ed Reed. They have gone completely over board with the helmet to helmet stuff.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #215
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,801
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

[QUOTE=CultBrennan59;994493]He is ruining the game because he is worried too much about safety. Pretty soon it'll be two hand touch football or flag football with the ridiculous fines and penalties there are for illegal hits. (He created the Tom Brady rule; no hitting a QB anywhere near his legs, during or after the play.)

He made the rule change of kicking off from the 35 as opposed to the 30, causing way less kick returns.

He wants to widen the field.

He has eliminate touchdown celebrations that go 'over the top'.

He wants to make football an 18 game season (which contradicts the whole safety idea of his because he's making his players getting contacted more than less)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but like I said and will stress again, he has fined players for RIDICULOUS things.
-Ryan Clark $5,000 for eyeblack of 21 in honor of Sean Taylor when he died
- Frank Gore $10,000 for not having high enough socks
- Plaxico Burress $5,000 for toss a football into the stands
- Antonio Brown fined $10,000 for running backwards while scoring a TD
- Urlacher fined $100,000 for wearing a vitamin water hat at super bowl media day
- Sheldon Brown fined $10,000 for wearing a Jason Mask during pregame/run out of the tunnel introductions

------
Your second question why is Goodell over paid?

Well for starters, the NBA commission makes an ESPN reported $15-16 million/year. The MLBs commissioner makes $18 million per year. Goodell makes $29+ million/year. He should be making around what these other guys make. Baseball and Basketball have more games, yes. But one major difference between football and the other two sports is that the other two sports are more popular worldwide. And as for in this country and popularity, football is the most popular sport, but not enough to be a clear cut popularity choice over the other two sports. Its not like Goodell is doing a lot more than the other guys too. He's doing just as much as Selieg and Stern (and Bettman).

All sport commissioners are overpaid. These are guys who should be making $5 million annually max. If the president of the US is $400,000 a year, and Roger Goodell is making almost $30 million a year, America, we've got a problem.

I really don't need any more stats or facts about "Why do you think Goodell is overpaid?" Maybe I should be asking you, "Why do you think Goodell is worth a ridiculous sum of money?"[/

Some of this stuff is not all on RG. I believe Ray Anderson is the one who hands out the fines.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #216
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,801
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yeah a larger field is just stupid. It's been the same for years now and I really hope they don't change it to the cfl style. Honestly if it comes down to games annually being like 48-40 I won't watch much anymore. It's really y I'm not a huge college fan and I live in Oklahoma where OU is everything.. college for the most part has NO. Defense at all and it's just boring. It's like playing Madden on rookie. No challenge
The league is all about ratings and points being scored is all they care about. The rules are too one sided.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #217
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,400
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

I tend to agree with CB59 on this. Imo the game has gotten worse under RG not better. And I can think of no "reason" to pay him that amount of money. Would he quit if he were making something more on par with Stern? It would be ok with me if he did....he's not irreplaceable. Not by a longshot. If you have that much money to throw around give the fans a break. That much money to the Commish reminds me of Wallstreet and corrupt companies that give CEO's huge bonus's. But that might be just the way I feel today. :-)
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #218
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,801
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
A. The Saints screwed themselves by having the bounty program

B. The NFL is probably the most profitable and popular sport in the country
SPORTS CHART OF THE DAY: NFL Revenue Still Dwarfs Other Major Sports - Business Insider
NFL TV Ratings: Football Continues Its World Domination - SBNation.com

C. The 28 owners that voted to screw us over and the Cowpukes are to blame for the cap penalties

In the end, Goodell does the bidding of the owners. And unless the NFL's popularity and profitability drops; no one can say that the commish is doing a terrible job.
We as fans and consumers of his product can say he's doing a terrible job. I think most of the fans don't think much of him and we already know what the players think.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #219
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
He is ruining the game because he is worried too much about safety. Pretty soon it'll be two hand touch football or flag football with the ridiculous fines and penalties there are for illegal hits. (He created the Tom Brady rule; no hitting a QB anywhere near his legs, during or after the play.)

He made the rule change of kicking off from the 35 as opposed to the 30, causing way less kick returns.

He wants to widen the field.

He has eliminate touchdown celebrations that go 'over the top'.

He wants to make football an 18 game season (which contradicts the whole safety idea of his because he's making his players getting contacted more than less)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but like I said and will stress again, he has fined players for RIDICULOUS things.
-Ryan Clark $5,000 for eyeblack of 21 in honor of Sean Taylor when he died
- Frank Gore $10,000 for not having high enough socks
- Plaxico Burress $5,000 for toss a football into the stands
- Antonio Brown fined $10,000 for running backwards while scoring a TD
- Urlacher fined $100,000 for wearing a vitamin water hat at super bowl media day
- Sheldon Brown fined $10,000 for wearing a Jason Mask during pregame/run out of the tunnel introductions

------
Your second question why is Goodell over paid?

Well for starters, the NBA commission makes an ESPN reported $15-16 million/year. The MLBs commissioner makes $18 million per year. Goodell makes $29+ million/year. He should be making around what these other guys make. Baseball and Basketball have more games, yes. But one major difference between football and the other two sports is that the other two sports are more popular worldwide. And as for in this country and popularity, football is the most popular sport, but not enough to be a clear cut popularity choice over the other two sports. Its not like Goodell is doing a lot more than the other guys too. He's doing just as much as Selieg and Stern (and Bettman).

All sport commissioners are overpaid. These are guys who should be making $5 million annually max. If the president of the US is $400,000 a year, and Roger Goodell is making almost $30 million a year, America, we've got a problem.

I really don't need any more stats or facts about "Why do you think Goodell is overpaid?" Maybe I should be asking you, "Why do you think Goodell is worth a ridiculous sum of money?"
Some people need to learn how the NFL runs,it's by committee,Goodell is like a COO of a very,very sucsessfull company and gets paid that way.I don't mean to be rude but "wrecking the game becuase he is worried about safety",what the hell?.Former players are killing themselves and others are suing the NFL becuase they do too little about safty,the guy can't win.As for some of the fines that you mention ,no ,I don't agree with alot of them but others are well deserved,if he doesn't run it (the NFL) with an iron fist it will turn into the NBA,the hell with that.
You keep saying, he this and he that, ...THE COMPETITION COMMITTEE VOTES on any and all changes.Goodell didn't do it,Bidwell,Wilson,Jones,Lurie,Mara,Hunt,Snyder etc, all changed it!
All the other sports combined don't do what the NFL does,now while I agree with many of you it's becuase I just believe noone is is worth that money I understand business.I want them to let the players play the game my opinion,give all players lifetime healthcare.Nothing, and yes I mean nothing in the NFL is done by one man.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #220
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
We as fans and consumers of his product can say he's doing a terrible job. I think most of the fans don't think much of him and we already know what the players think.

I think you are wrong.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #221
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 767
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Im just curious about something. A question to the people who thinks Roger Goodell deserves less money.

Where do you think that extra money will go?

Very simple answer... It gets split evenly by the owners and put into their pockets. You arent getting cheaper beer at a game if Roger takes a paycut. You arent getting cheaper tickets if Roger takes a paycut. Every last one of you would say the Commisioner of the NFL is underpaid... If it was your job.

As much as I am not a fan of the guy, the fact is, every owner looks at the bottom line. Im sure Dan Snyder doesnt like Goodell on Monday through Thursday, but when his paycheck gets deposited into his bank on Friday, im sure Dan agrees with the job that Goodell is doing.

CEO's, COO's, ect are paid based on how profitable a company/corporation is. Its based on whether the consumer will spend money on your product, not whether the consumers like the CEO's or COO's.

So if the goal is to make sure that the owners are the only people who get paid in the NFL, then so be it. If thats not the goal, then why complain when they pay someone else. I would rather the NFL give bonuses and extra money to the employees of the NFL over the 32 owners keeping it all.
Skinzman is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #222
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,427
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Super Bowl in New York - stoopid
Expansion to Europe - stoopid
Fines fines and more fines - stoopid
Kowtowing to to a select group of owners - stoopid

Goodel is a twit.
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #223
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,801
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I think you are wrong.
Well that's not much of an argument. ...lol.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #224
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,401
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Amazing how successful the league is all in spite of Goodell. If he was truly ruining the game it sure hasn't shown on the bottom line. As usual, nobody likes the boss.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #225
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Around the NFL Off - Season style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Well that's not much of an argument. ...lol.


post #214
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34025 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25