Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should the Redskins change their name?
Yes 14 14.00%
No 86 86.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #91
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Good point. Many have tried to put the word Redskin on equal footing with the N word, but if another team called themselves that in 1933 would it have even been tolerated? Even 1933? Not saying Native Americans shouldn't be offended by the word Redskin, because who's to tell anyone what should or shouldn't offend them, but the word has become far more associated with the football team than as a slur. And don't polls show that most Native Americans aren't offended by the Redskins use of the term?

Although it originated as a derogatory word intended to inflict harm, isn't it possible that the word has evolved into something positive? Or that the use of the word altogether has ceased except in this one particular case?
That's actually not true. It did not start as a derogatory term. A a later point, some in pop culture of the day used it as such, but it was short-lived.

Quote:
Someone, some group or society as a whole decided to use the word as a slur. Isn't it possible for another generation's someone, some group or society as a whole to decide it no longer has any application whatsoever as a derogatory word?
. Excellent point.

Quote:
I'd hate to see the name changed, but I'm all for eliminating the Indian head logo. I like the R helmet anyway.

I just feel like fans adore the name, because it's associated with the team they love. The negative connotation no longer exists.
I agree with you on both points. I don't have a problem with the logo, other than its a bit dated. I think the R helmet is sick looking. And by saying sick looking, I'm hoping I am not offending anyone who is legitimately suffering from sort of illness. I'm simply using the word the way the kids did when I was growing up, to indicate that I think an idea is really awesome.

And To anyone who thinks the term redskin is currently a racist word, please tell me the last time you heard someone use the word in a derogatory manner. I'm 33 years old and I've never heard the word used in a pejorative way in my life. Not once. Have you? If not, then you need to shut up and get off your high horse or find another team to root for. We don't want you here.

Last edited by BigHairedAristocrat; 02-09-2013 at 06:45 PM.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #92
Special Teams
 
Leader In Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 385
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
That's actually not true. It did not start as a derogatory term. A a later point, some in pop culture of the day used it as such, but it was short-lived.

. Excellent point.



I agree with you on both points. I don't have a problem with the logo, other than its a bit dated. I think the R helmet is sick looking. And by saying sick looking, I'm hoping I am not offending anyone who is legitimately suffering from sort of illness. I'm simply using the word the way the kids did when I was growing up, to indicate that I think an idea is really awesome.

And To anyone who thinks the term redskin is currently a racist word, please tell me the last time you heard someone use the word in a derogatory manner. I'm 33 years old and I've never heard the word used in a pejorative way in my life. Not once. Have you? If not, then you need to shut up and get off your high horse or find another team to root for. We don't want you here.
What part of the country did you grow up? I spent a majority of my childhood out West. Yes, I did hear it as a negative term used to describe people, just like I heard the N word.
Leader In Sports is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #93
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,635
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
If you look in a thesaurus, "Yellow Man" is a derogatory term for an Asian. Same with Redskin for a Native American. Back when the Redskins were name (1933), Redskin was a common term, as was Yellow Man, the N word (see what I mean) and many other terms that are now offensive.

I personally don't see a problem with a name like the Chiefs, Braves, Warriors etc as they are not negative terms. They are no different than the Raiders, Vikings, Bucs etc.

Look at it this way, would you walk up to a Native American and refer to him as a "Redskin" to his face? That to me is a good way to judge if the term is offensive.
If I really wanted to insult a Native American, I would not call them Redskin, because it would seem corny now that the term has been associated with an NFL team for 80 years. It's been de-stigmatized, as far as I'm concerned.

You could use the word 'Cowboy' as an insult to someone who is reckless and selfish. Yankee too. Or Rebel.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #94
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,635
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
If I really wanted to insult a Native American, I would not call them Redskin, because it would seem corny now that the term has been associated with an NFL team for 80 years. It's been de-stigmatized, as far as I'm concerned.

You could use the word 'Cowboy' as an insult to someone who is reckless and selfish. Yankee too. Or Rebel.
This was an accidental re-post. Sorry.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #95
The Starter
 
InsaneBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DC
Age: 26
Posts: 1,300
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Just curious, were the Native American High School's using the "Redskins" as their mascot / team name on there too? Or was it just our Redskins? Anybody know?
__________________

InsaneBoost is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #96
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
What part of the country did you grow up? I spent a majority of my childhood out West. Yes, I did hear it as a negative term used to describe people, just like I heard the N word.
Sorry but I call BS. I grew up in North Carolina. My first wife was half Cherokee and looked it. She grew up in a small town where the population was 99% white , KKK was still prominent and no one ever called her a redskin. So I find it hard to believe you've heard the word prominently used.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #97
Special Teams
 
Leader In Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 385
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
.....
And To anyone who thinks the term redskin is currently a racist word, please tell me the last time you heard someone use the word in a derogatory manner. I'm 33 years old and I've never heard the word used in a pejorative way in my life. Not once. Have you? If not, then you need to shut up and get off your high horse or find another team to root for. We don't want you here.
Quote:
What part of the country did you grow up? I spent a majority of my childhood out West. Yes, I did hear it as a negative term used to describe people, just like I heard the N word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Sorry but I call BS. I grew up in North Carolina. My first wife was half Cherokee and looked it. She grew up in a small town where the population was 99% white , KKK was still prominent and no one ever called her a redskin. So I find it hard to believe you've heard the word prominently used.
I did not say prominently. You said you did not hear it once, and asked if anyone else had. While I have heard it used in a derogatory manner more than once, I would not use the word prominently.

Since most people don't read entire threads and keep straight who is who, let me restate my original posting (paraphrasing because I don't feel like looking it up):

I see both sides of this issue. I have many friends that played for the Redskins and see their love and loyalty to the team and the name associated with it. I have also seen hateful words and can see legitimately where this is seen by a race of people as one. It is a tough issue with strong feelings on both sides of the argument.
Leader In Sports is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #98
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,935
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Just curious....how is it decided that something is derogatory? For example...the N word is clearly so...all of society would agree. Even those who would use the term use it pejoratively. Contrast that with Redskin. Freely used by many in an obviously non-pejorative way. Seems like those who would be offended dont actually agree that it is indeed offensive. Yet it seems many, even the dictionary, have decided it is a offensive word. How does that work? Could we get a movement together to deem the word cowboy offensive? Seriously. Is all it takes is a few vocal people to take offense and suddenly a word is offensive?

Doesn't it matter that the term's offensiveness is debated and that it is actually being used in a manner meant to honor?
FRPLG is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #99
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
I live in "native America " and I have redskins decked on my car and I've never had one person say anything
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #100
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,523
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
I did not say prominently. You said you did not hear it once, and asked if anyone else had. While I have heard it used in a derogatory manner more than once, I would not use the word prominently.

Since most people don't read entire threads and keep straight who is who, let me restate my original posting (paraphrasing because I don't feel like looking it up):

I see both sides of this issue. I have many friends that played for the Redskins and see their love and loyalty to the team and the name associated with it. I have also seen hateful words and can see legitimately where this is seen by a race of people as one. It is a tough issue with strong feelings on both sides of the argument.
I don't know any Native Americans, haven't been in their environment, so I ask this purely out of ignorance:
Is the word "Redskin" seen by the whole race as a hateful word.
I am fairly confident that any black man or woman who is called a n***** by someone outside their personal circle would take offense at it, and it was used often that way very recently.
I guess I don't see the word "Redskin" as that same widespread angst, more so a smaller portion that portrays itself as speaking for the whole.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #101
Special Teams
 
Leader In Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 385
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't know any Native Americans, haven't been in their environment, so I ask this purely out of ignorance:
Is the word "Redskin" seen by the whole race as a hateful word.
I am fairly confident that any black man or woman who is called a n***** by someone outside their personal circle would take offense at it, and it was used often that way very recently.
I guess I don't see the word "Redskin" as that same widespread angst, more so a smaller portion that portrays itself as speaking for the whole.
I think it would be impossible to say a "whole race" with any word. You will always have someone who will "own" the word.

That is what is evolving with the N word. There is a portion of African American society that is taking ownership of the word, and an entirely different portion that is offended by the action. We are discussing shades of gray, not black and white.
Leader In Sports is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #102
Special Teams
 
VTSkins1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 113
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Good point. Many have tried to put the word Redskin on equal footing with the N word, but if another team called themselves that in 1933 would it have even been tolerated? Even 1933? Not saying Native Americans shouldn't be offended by the word Redskin, because who's to tell anyone what should or shouldn't offend them, but the word has become far more associated with the football team than as a slur. And don't polls show that most Native Americans aren't offended by the Redskins use of the term?

Although it originated as a derogatory word intended to inflict harm, isn't it possible that the word has evolved into something positive? Or that the use of the word altogether has ceased except in this one particular case?

Someone, some group or society as a whole decided to use the word as a slur. Isn't it possible for another generation's someone, some group or society as a whole to decide it no longer has any application whatsoever as a derogatory word?

I'd hate to see the name changed, but I'm all for eliminating the Indian head logo. I like the R helmet anyway.

I just feel like fans adore the name, because it's associated with the team they love. The negative connotation no longer exists.
Not me. If they get rid of the Indian head logo I would want the spear helmets.
VTSkins1961 is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #103
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
I think it would be impossible to say a "whole race" with any word. You will always have someone who will "own" the word.

That is what is evolving with the N word. There is a portion of African American society that is taking ownership of the word, and an entirely different portion that is offended by the action. We are discussing shades of gray, not black and white.
I disagree entirely with that. If a non black uses the n word it will only be received negatively, even though within the black community it has some slang uses. But none of those uses would rise to the positive connotation of the term Redskins when used referring to the football team. There is far more contrast with respect to those terms than simple shades of gray.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now  
Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #104
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 673
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
If you look in a thesaurus, "Yellow Man" is a derogatory term for an Asian. Same with Redskin for a Native American. Back when the Redskins were name (1933), Redskin was a common term, as was Yellow Man, the N word (see what I mean) and many other terms that are now offensive.

I personally don't see a problem with a name like the Chiefs, Braves, Warriors etc as they are not negative terms. They are no different than the Raiders, Vikings, Bucs etc.

Look at it this way, would you walk up to a Native American and refer to him as a "Redskin" to his face? That to me is a good way to judge if the term is offensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
The difference with your examples and others are the Packers were named after meat packers. The Giants were named after mythical, larger than life figures. Redskins were always intended to represent Native Americans.
You actually destroy your first answer with your second. The intent of the words you are using were not in question back in the day. Nigger (If its censored, which I suspect it will, the n-word) and Yellow man were ALWAYS meant as a racist term aka a derogatory term. Redskin was neutral until 20 or 30 years ago.

Red Mesa High School - Home

Here is one Indian Reservation that I would go to and say Redskin, since they themselves do it as well. I have also worn Redskins gear onto a different Indian reservation. It did not turn out how you want to claim that it would. I got high fives and a large portion were Redskins fans themselves.

Do the Indians have a say in this? And if not, isnt that in and of itself racist?
Skinzman is offline  
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #105
Special Teams
 
Leader In Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 385
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

At this point I am going to bow out of this conversation, especially since I legitimately see both points, but am sort of in a position to only debate from the one side. I will close with this.

I grew up out West (the town RG3 is from for a time and then the Phoenix area for a majority of my childhood). I am old enough to remember the Indian school in Phoenix where children were essentially forceably removed from their parents to assimilate the future generations into our culture. The children were also then "hired out" to local families as house keepers, babysitters etc.

As strongly as most of the diehard fans feel about the issue on this site feel, even stronger are the people objecting because of real life issues. Just try to look at things from the other side and while your position might not change, your feelings towards their efforts might.
Leader In Sports is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.56470 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25