Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should the Redskins change their name?
Yes 14 14.00%
No 86 86.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #106
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,115
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I'm just very thankfull you were here to let me know.
lol. Concession accepted, and like you and others have said, time to move along.
HailGreen28 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #107
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Unless you are Native American, your feeling on the matter (either way) is irrelevant. Borderline self-serving.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline  
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #108
Special Teams
 
VTSkins1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 168
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Unless you are Native American, your feeling on the matter (either way) is irrelevant. Borderline self-serving.
I hope that it doesn't change but If they were forced to change the name I would want it be changed back to the "Braves" the original name.
VTSkins1961 is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #109
Special Teams
 
Leader In Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 385
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Unless you are Native American, your feeling on the matter (either way) is irrelevant. Borderline self-serving.
No matter what you feel about the issue of the name, I will strongly disagree with this statement. (now I am back out of this discussion):

First they came... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
Leader In Sports is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #110
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,138
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Unless you are Native American, your feeling on the matter (either way) is irrelevant. Borderline self-serving.
The very nature of a Skins website is to discuss topics relevant to the Skins. Since this is about the name of the team, I would think it is a relevant discussion. And having vested nearly 40 years of my life as a Redskins fan, I think that I have a right to express my opinion. And that brings us back to the question, at what point does a word go from a dispersion to an honorable name. I wasn't around when the name was changed, I grew up thinking of the term Redskins as a good thing, and as a side note - Cowboys as a bad thing. I am pretty sure many if not most in my generation grew up with the same view, or if it was a negative it was because you didn't like the team - not because of any racial overtones.

Bottomline for me, if the whole of the collective native american tribes were demonstrating, picketing, and letting it be known that this was an offense against their race, then I would not have a problem with changing it. But if it is a group of lawyers, and a small non-representative sampling, then they need to move on. In my view, it is the latter.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #111
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,757
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

I think when the name finally does change it wont be in reaction to a lawsuit or court case because the team and the NFL will not want it to look like they have been forced into the change, they will want it to appear that the change was made on their own terms. Much like women members at Augusta National, one morning we are going to wake up one morning and hear hear the announcement. It will get a lot of play for a day and then be no big deal. Augusta did it on their terms and so will the Skins & the NFL.

As for team names I'd really like Americans or or maybe Hogs.

Last edited by irish; 02-11-2013 at 08:34 AM.
irish is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #112
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,765
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Why don't they run a poll with different Native American tribes and ask what they would rename the Redskins to. It would be an interesting test.
Actually this did happen, and the largest % of Native Americans who were polled showed that they did not think the name "Redskins" was derogatory. In fact, some of the NAs that were polled said that they were Redskins fans and that they were honored to have a team represent them.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #113
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,063
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

USATODAY.com - Poll finds few Indians offended by Washington Redskins name

It's oldish but what would have happened in the last 8 years to really make the name offensive? Shouldn't, in this day and age, things like the n-word and the r-word be getting LESS offensive? Haven't we figured out as a society that giving weight to terms as derogatory is the only thing that makes them derogatory?
FRPLG is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #114
Playmaker
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,734
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
What part of the country did you grow up? I spent a majority of my childhood out West. Yes, I did hear it as a negative term used to describe people, just like I heard the N word.
Which N word did you hear the one ending with an A an H or an ER?? Ill let this English teacher explain the proper usage.

__________________
Lafayette, we're here.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #115
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 8,255
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Actually this did happen, and the largest % of Native Americans who were polled showed that they did not think the name "Redskins" was derogatory. In fact, some of the NAs that were polled said that they were Redskins fans and that they were honored to have a team represent them.
There you go, end of discussion. There's always going to be whiners in this world with their own agendas (Florio) they are the ones that want to be different. **** them!!
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #116
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,765
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The very nature of a Skins website is to discuss topics relevant to the Skins. Since this is about the name of the team, I would think it is a relevant discussion. And having vested nearly 40 years of my life as a Redskins fan, I think that I have a right to express my opinion. And that brings us back to the question, at what point does a word go from a dispersion to an honorable name. I wasn't around when the name was changed, I grew up thinking of the term Redskins as a good thing, and as a side note - Cowboys as a bad thing. I am pretty sure many if not most in my generation grew up with the same view, or if it was a negative it was because you didn't like the team - not because of any racial overtones.

Bottomline for me, if the whole of the collective native american tribes were demonstrating, picketing, and letting it be known that this was an offense against their race, then I would not have a problem with changing it. But if it is a group of lawyers, and a small non-representative sampling, then they need to move on. In my view, it is the latter.
This I agree with this. Let it be known that some of the nationalities that are represented by NFL teams were known to cause violence against other groups of people: The Vikings and the Buccaneers just to name a couple. Both have either caused death or larceny. We can expand into other sports and look at names like "Pirates", who have committed terrorist attacks on civilian ships at sea, even in the recent few years. Yet, nobody complains about the glorification of those names and how they are represented in the NFL and other pro leagues.

This is where I think such arguments are pretty silly. Considering the fact that you don't have to really look that hard to find fault in half the other NFL team names. I'm sure Atheists think New Orleans' moniker is silly and might even find offense with it. The Raiders? The Vikings? The Buccaneers? I mean, really? Then you can dig further into college and I'm sure people would find offense to using "Blue Devils" which has a devil as a mascot. Demons? The fighting Irish? So, are Irish people violent?
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #117
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,988
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
USATODAY.com - Poll finds few Indians offended by Washington Redskins name

It's oldish but what would have happened in the last 8 years to really make the name offensive? Shouldn't, in this day and age, things like the n-word and the r-word be getting LESS offensive? Haven't we figured out as a society that giving weight to terms as derogatory is the only thing that makes them derogatory?
Sorry but no. This line of thinking is akin to what happens in schools when the history of our country is taught as a 'transition' from the Native Americans to European settlers and that slavery was an 'unfortunate period' historically and the Civil War was fought over economics.

There should be no 'day and age' when demeaning and derogatory terms are 'less offensive' or acceptable in any form. The whole notion of 'giving weight' to things makes them bad is sticking your head in the sand and wishing they and their history don't exist.
__________________
Paintrain's Redskins Fandom
1981-2014

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #118
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,526
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Somewhere there are Neanderthals and cavemen who are still offended for being called those terms..
CultBrennan59 is offline  
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #119
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,614
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Somewhere there are Neanderthals and cavemen who are still offended for being called those terms..

__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #120
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Smithsonian Museum - yet another thread on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Which N word did you hear the one ending with an A an H or an ER?? Ill let this English teacher explain the proper usage.

Teacher uses the N word - YouTube

What about the N word ending in RO?
SBXVII is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33429 seconds with 11 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25