Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,303
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

He doesn't fit Haslett's scheme any better than he fit Philly's. He's a great press-man guy, but in a zone scheme he struggles.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,125
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
5 years ago Shanahan had a point.

Now? I'm sure would have a different take.
There's so many indirect twists with Mike Shanahan says that nobody ever thinks he's telling the truth even when he's telling the truth.
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

I'd be happier with DHall and his cheaper contract.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #19
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Like to pose this question to the "brains" around here: do we ask a lot of our corners? Schematically wise I think we do. Aside from the Steelers few teams (successfully) use the corner blitz. Our late season success saw a lot of that kind of scheming btw. Sure, Orakpo will be back. Is he gonna change everything? I hope not if you get my drift.

Hall knows the scheme and plays it well when he's serious out there. Whatever he's lost in talent is off-set by experience and knowledge. I highly, highly doubt there's a CB in draft/FA who would overall outperform Hall next season as a Redskin.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,837
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Like to pose this question to the "brains" around here: do we ask a lot of our corners? Schematically wise I think we do. Aside from the Steelers few teams (successfully) use the corner blitz. Our late season success saw a lot of that kind of scheming btw. Sure, Orakpo will be back. Is he gonna change everything? I hope not if you get my drift.

Hall knows the scheme and plays it well when he's serious out there. Whatever he's lost in talent is off-set by experience and knowledge. I highly, highly doubt there's a CB in draft/FA who would overall outperform Hall next season as a Redskin.
Seeing as how only one corner allowed more yards than Hall this entire year, and seeing as how his value was no where near what the Skins would have to pay him, I do not think it will be hard to find a replacement for basically one of the worst values for a corner in the NFL.

Last edited by donofriose; 03-12-2013 at 09:25 AM.
donofriose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,771
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Seeing as how only one corner allowed more yards than Hall this entire year, and seeing as how his value was no where near what the Skins would have to pay him, I do not think it will be hard to find a replacement for basically the one of the worst values for a corner in the NFL.
Totally agree.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,277
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Seeing as how only one corner allowed more yards than Hall this entire year, and seeing as how his value was no where near what the Skins would have to pay him, I do not think it will be hard to find a replacement for basically one of the worst values for a corner in the NFL.
I agree that we can probably find better value than hall in fa this year. 50/50 shot that we will get better overall corner play. But the above statistic isnt completely fair, after our best pass rusher gets taken out, and we had arguably the worst pass defending safeties in the history of the league for the first 9-10 games last year. DHall played his butt off last year, did alot in helping stop the run, and locked down the teams best receivers at times taking them totally out of the game. DHall will get his 5-6 mil per year somewhere else. But that stat holds water about as good as Bonnie and Clydes car.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,429
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
I agree that we can probably find better value than hall in fa this year. 50/50 shot that we will get better overall corner play. But the above statistic isnt completely fair, after our best pass rusher gets taken out, and we had arguably the worst pass defending safeties in the history of the league for the first 9-10 games last year. DHall played his butt off last year, did alot in helping stop the run, and locked down the teams best receivers at times taking them totally out of the game. DHall will get his 5-6 mil per year somewhere else. But that stat holds water about as good as Bonnie and Clydes car.

LOL
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,837
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
I agree that we can probably find better value than hall in fa this year. 50/50 shot that we will get better overall corner play. But the above statistic isnt completely fair, after our best pass rusher gets taken out, and we had arguably the worst pass defending safeties in the history of the league for the first 9-10 games last year. DHall played his butt off last year, did alot in helping stop the run, and locked down the teams best receivers at times taking them totally out of the game. DHall will get his 5-6 mil per year somewhere else. But that stat holds water about as good as Bonnie and Clydes car.
To be the second worst though in the entire NFL is atrocious, no matter the pass rush or safety play. There are a lot of other starting corners in the NFL and only one player gave up more yards than Hall. That is terrible. Not even the other Redskins corner gave up more yards than Hall. Captain Munerlyn who gets paid 565,000 played better than Hall. Adam Pacman Jones was paid less than a million and payed better than Hall.

Pro football focus has the best free agents available at corner and you can see where hall's rating is... -3.2... That is not worth 5+ million, I do not care what other excuses he might have, he should not be playing that bad for what the Skins were paying him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-cornerbacks/
donofriose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
Special Teams
 
takethecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 26
Posts: 281
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Didn't Hall play through injuries quite a bit last year? Or am I making that up? Might have hurt his performance
takethecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
Impact Rookie
 
Skins4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 747
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

If we can get him at a cheaper price than say Talib... hes worth it on a one year deal and keep some cap $ for next year. I feel like weve degressed this offseason or on our way when its all said and done. Were not in a position to give Griffin any new weapons when we all know he needs one cause hes gonna have to stay in the pocket a little more. And also are not in the position to bolster our defense which is in desperate need in the back end now.
__________________
ALL HAIL
Skins4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #27
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
And he'll probably be available.

Mike Shanahan Calls Nnamdi Asomugha the Most Underrated Player Ever

(Quote is from 2008)
Funny how he doesnt come close to top cb discussion now.. plus shanny isnt in same division... well last year he was again...
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
There is a difference between being overrated and being misused. The Eagles misused him horribly. Nhamdi is a shut down corner (at least was before joining the eagles), and the eagles had him standing in soft zones.

Could you imagine if a team told Deion Sanders to stand in the flat and wait for a RB or TE to come to your zone? Or to just run straight back 40 yards and cover a deep third of the field? That would have turned Deion from a HOFer to a quality return man.

What Nhamdi was good at was taking the best receiver out of the offense. The eagles had him jumping TE flat patterns when the TE was the third option.
This is true
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #29
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
To be the second worst though in the entire NFL is atrocious, no matter the pass rush or safety play. There are a lot of other starting corners in the NFL and only one player gave up more yards than Hall. That is terrible. Not even the other Redskins corner gave up more yards than Hall. Captain Munerlyn who gets paid 565,000 played better than Hall. Adam Pacman Jones was paid less than a million and payed better than Hall.

Pro football focus has the best free agents available at corner and you can see where hall's rating is... -3.2... That is not worth 5+ million, I do not care what other excuses he might have, he should not be playing that bad for what the Skins were paying him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-cornerbacks/
I am nots aying Hall was a top coverage cornerback but I would be interested to see how the stats were compiled.. watching games it appears the safeties let him down a lot
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
Impact Rookie
 
Skins4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 747
Re: Shanahan: "the most underrated player in the history of the game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I'd be happier with DHall and his cheaper contract.
agreed.
__________________
ALL HAIL
Skins4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29083 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25