Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,726
London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

“One thing you have to do is, you’ve got to have a mindset that there’s no way you’re going to retire. Because if you’re thinking about retirement, you’re not really sure – at least when I look at my previous years, and you look back at guys – if you’re thinking about retiring, you’re probably already retired.

Mike Shanahan on London Fletcher’s future
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

I don't think shanahans comments necessarily reflect what London fletcher is actually thinking. I think Shanahan is just making an observation based on his experience with other players. I think he could also be putting that out there to pressure fletcher to make a decision by march 12th. We're about 4MM over the cap now and cutting fletcher would save us about 4MM.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Fletcher is kind of getting the decision made for him here. The team can't restructure his salary only to watch him retire, and if the Redskins release him, no other team is going to bring in a 38 year old LB on even a flyer basis. He ends up retired either way.

Fletcher's only play here is to come out within the next week and say he intends to return next season...but that might not even be true.

I think he's played his last snap. At least if he retires in the next week or two, he gets the opportunity to have an actual retirement party. I don't think Shanahan is doing anyone any favors here, but he's intending to do whatever he can to keep this situation cordial.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

And, I mean, Ed Reed has been talking retirement for about 6 years now.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,330
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

If he does retire, do we really have any linebackers on the roster who could effectively replace him? Or will we have to pick one up in the draft?
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

MoveOn Petitions - Keep the Washington Redskins Name
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,621
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Well if someone was here they probably say we are forgetting someone when it comes to Fletch's replacement
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,715
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Well, either one of three things are going to happen.

1) He'll retire

2) We'll force him to retire when we cut him after refusing to reduce his salary

3) He'll take a huge pay cut, and he plays one more season.


No two ways about it, Fletcher drew no interest on the open market last off-season. None. We aren't going to keep him at his current salary so he'll either have to take a huge pay cut or retire. It really is that simple. Truthfully, I don't even know if they'll keep him even if he does take a pay cut.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,877
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Well if someone was here they probably say we are forgetting someone when it comes to Fletch's replacement
I'll pick up the slack on this one. Despite Keenan Robinson's season ending injury, I think if Fletch retires he will be the next man up. He looked good in limited action last year.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Fletcher is kind of getting the decision made for him here. The team can't restructure his salary only to watch him retire, and if the Redskins release him, no other team is going to bring in a 38 year old LB on even a flyer basis. He ends up retired either way.

Fletcher's only play here is to come out within the next week and say he intends to return next season...but that might not even be true.

I think he's played his last snap. At least if he retires in the next week or two, he gets the opportunity to have an actual retirement party. I don't think Shanahan is doing anyone any favors here, but he's intending to do whatever he can to keep this situation cordial.
I think you nailed the situation. At the end of the season, i felt for sure Fletch would be back, but given how well he seems to be doing on TV, i could understand him deciding to call it quits now. From our perspective, the cap penalty makes keeping him for one more year at 6MM just doesnt make much sense. If we were "close" to being a superbowl team, maybe... but we're not. It might be best for everyone involved if we part ways.

Given our cap situation, i think the team could have to make a choice between resigning Rob Jackson and Lorenzo Alexander for the next 3-4 years or keeping Fletcher for one more year. If thats the choice, its a no-brainer.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I think you nailed the situation. At the end of the season, i felt for sure Fletch would be back, but given how well he seems to be doing on TV, i could understand him deciding to call it quits now. From our perspective, the cap penalty makes keeping him for one more year at 6MM just doesnt make much sense. If we were "close" to being a superbowl team, maybe... but we're not. It might be best for everyone involved if we part ways.

Given our cap situation, i think the team could have to make a choice between resigning Rob Jackson and Lorenzo Alexander for the next 3-4 years or keeping Fletcher for one more year. If thats the choice, its a no-brainer.
I think we are close. we've got the QB, all we need is some luck, BUT i don't see it this year with the cap hit and the secondary needing some work. If fletcher doesn't retire, he might end up cut anyways, so...

as for as Zo, i don't think locking up a 30 year old special teamer for 4 years would be the world's greatest move.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,330
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I think we are close. we've got the QB, all we need is some luck, BUT i don't see it this year with the cap hit and the secondary needing some work. If fletcher doesn't retire, he might end up cut anyways, so...

as for as Zo, i don't think locking up a 30 year old special teamer for 4 years would be the world's greatest move.
Don't forget he's a Pro Bowl special teamer.
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

MoveOn Petitions - Keep the Washington Redskins Name
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,720
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Don't forget he's a Pro Bowl special teamer.
So basically you are saying you want to give a bunch of money to a back up role player who gets maybe 10 ST plays per game? Instead of putting that money toward shoring up porous secondary, or adding needed pieces to our Oline? Priorities.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Draft winners, not stars.

Hail to the Redskins
Hail victory
Braves on the warpath
Block for RG3
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 646
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

They gotta let Zo walk if the money gets stupid, he is a good backup. He should get a raise. If Danny Smith convinces the Steelers to make a silly offer, we move on. I really doubt he gets much free agent interest though.
__________________
Chris Russell: "To clarify point I made on @ESPNRadio980 - clearly Mike Shanahan wanted Peyton Manning in '12. He also very much desired Russell Wilson."

Mike Shanahan never was able to get the players he wanted, lets all cry for him.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
The Starter
 
InsaneBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DC
Age: 26
Posts: 1,300
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
If London Fletcher Walks Away, He Has to Be Considered a Hall of Famer | Bleacher Report

I'll read things on Bleacher I don't agree with one bit, and I'll read some things on Bleacher I completely agree with. This is something I completely agree with.
He'll be another Art Monk I bet. Because he wasn't loud and obnoxious on the field, he won't get the same treatment as say someone like, oh, Ray Lewis?
__________________

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,003
re: London Fletcher leaning towards playing in 2013 (updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
He'll be another Art Monk I bet. Because he wasn't loud and obnoxious on the field, he won't get the same treatment as say someone like, oh, Ray Lewis?
With Fletch it will have more to do with the fact that he played for mediocre teams (Bills/Redskins) rather than being "quiet".

I will say that looking at Fletch in the NFL Network last week, I can see him becoming a sports talking head after he retires.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.43955 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25