Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #556
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,833
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
I like this free agent approach. The cap hit is a blessng in disguise. Next year we get to have another "advantage" and Mara can't stop it.
We really won't be able to tell if it was a blessing in disguise until next offseason when we 1) can see what our W/L record was, 2) accurately assess the holes that couldn't have been filled in FA this current offseason.

I've heard a few people call it a blessing in disguise, but I think it's too early to tell.
mbedner3420 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #557
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
We really won't be able to tell if it was a blessing in disguise until next offseason when we 1) can see what our W/L record was, 2) accurately assess the holes that couldn't have been filled in FA this current offseason.

I've heard a few people call it a blessing in disguise, but I think it's too early to tell.
2 years without the same amount of cash available is hardly a blessing. It's forced us to be restricted in a season where we are coincidentally not chasing a desperate need.
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #558
Special Teams
 
tc2deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 319
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

More and more teams like the read option so this decision is a gamble to maybe get a draft pick for 2014. Pat can be used to play RGIII in camp while Griff recovers and he very well could resurect himself during preseason.... Win\Win situation
tc2deuce is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #559
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Its a gimmick offense that works.

You're trying to take the hatchet to a system that really only needs a screwdriver.

Some fine tuning here and there and there's really nothing wrong with the offense we have now.
I agree the offense can be just as potent, but it can't be the same offense if that makes sense.

Make no mistake, the offense we ran last year will produce diminishing marginal returns. The diminution is the only question. The main factors here are defensive adjustments and RG's overall health/confidence in his ability to plant, cut, push off.

Some of us are still hoping the gimmick plays were more a reaction to the (horrible) pass-blocking than Shanahan's determination to make our franchise player into a running QB.
The Goat is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #560
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,346
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
A QB similar to RG3 is one who's deadly accurate. Cousins, White, and Grossman are far from that.
Why do you have Cousins in the same group as White and Grossman? Cousins is miles above them. He could start for a lot of teams.

You say he's not deadly accurate? How about 69% completion with 101.6 rating?
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

MoveOn Petitions - Keep the Washington Redskins Name
SirLK26 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #561
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,066
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I agree the offense can be just as potent, but it can't be the same offense if that makes sense.

Make no mistake, the offense we ran last year will produce diminishing marginal returns. The diminution is the only question. The main factors here are defensive adjustments and RG's overall health/confidence in his ability to plant, cut, push off.

Some of us are still hoping the gimmick plays were more a reaction to the (horrible) pass-blocking than Shanahan's determination to make our franchise player into a running QB.
I am confident the 16 D-coordinators we faced in the regular season thought the same thing.......interesting
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #562
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,127
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
A QB similar to RG3 is one who's deadly accurate. Cousins, White, and Grossman are far from that.
I beg to differ. Kirk Cousins is very accurate. White is 0/5 for his entire career on pass attempts but isn't saying much. White was a 2nd round pick so he has to be at least somewhat good.
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #563
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,808
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

You guys are apparently missing the part where he said A QB similar to RG3...

Meaning a super athletic QB that can run and well as pass.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #564
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

A QB "similar" to RGIII would be a starter on most teams. I dont see how we could have a backup that runs the EXACT same offense RGIII does because RGIII is a unique talent.

In reality, every NFL offense is is tuned to the skills of its starting QB. No team has a starter and backup of equivalent talent, equivalent strengths, and equivalent weaknesses. Therefore, every single NFL team has to tweak its offense to some degree when the backup is playing. In that context, I honestly think Cousins is about as good a backup as we could hope for. He doesnt have the same athleticism as RGIII, but he can run 90% of the plays RGIII can. As we saw last year, he can be very effective, too.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #565
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,346
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You guys are apparently missing the part where he said A QB similar to RG3...

Meaning a super athletic QB that can run and well as pass.
He also said Cousins was far from being deadly accurate. Bullsh#t. But I know what you mean.
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

MoveOn Petitions - Keep the Washington Redskins Name
SirLK26 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #566
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Rex Grossman resigns with the Redskins!

Dynasty!
RedskinRat is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #567
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,881
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Redskins bring back Rex Grossman, again | ProFootballTalk
CrazyCanuck is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #568
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,722
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I agree the offense can be just as potent, but it can't be the same offense if that makes sense.

Make no mistake, the offense we ran last year will produce diminishing marginal returns. The diminution is the only question. The main factors here are defensive adjustments and RG's overall health/confidence in his ability to plant, cut, push off.

Some of us are still hoping the gimmick plays were more a reaction to the (horrible) pass-blocking than Shanahan's determination to make our franchise player into a running QB.
I seriously don't understand why, after a full season on this board, and with several excellent football discussions of the specifics about the Shanahan stretch run offense tied to the zone read offense thru use of the pistol, some people still call it an attempt to make Griffin into a "running qb". Griffin is a qb. He runs. Those two facts together do not equal the dreaded running qb syndrome.

There are 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense. If you force the defense to play against the whole field, you have a higher percentage of winning plays. It really isn't complicated and it isn't some plot to ruin the health of an outstanding young talent.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #569
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,633
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Wrecks has nine lives.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #570
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,808
Re: Official Redskins Free Agency Thread 2013 Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I seriously don't understand why, after a full season on this board, and with several excellent football discussions of the specifics about the Shanahan stretch run offense tied to the zone read offense thru use of the pistol, some people still call it an attempt to make Griffin into a "running qb". Griffin is a qb. He runs. Those two facts together do not equal the dreaded running qb syndrome.

There are 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense. If you force the defense to play against the whole field, you have a higher percentage of winning plays. It really isn't complicated and it isn't some plot to ruin the health of an outstanding young talent.
You should have just slapped him with one of these

__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop

Last edited by Mattyk; 04-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Mattyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.57933 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25