Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Cooley - Redskins or no one

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 29
Posts: 2,050
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

^ i dont think he was really given that much of a shot, 90% of his time on the field he was blocking/decoy..
__________________
NFL officiating is BY FAR the worst in proffessional sports. Except no substitutions... worse or not!!


R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #32
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
What did you see from Colley this past year that makes you think he could produce for a few more years? Was it that one catch for 8 yards? Its not the money its the roster spot I don't want to throw away on Cooley. He had the 2nd chance to show he could still produce on the field and failed.
You failed! To recognize they didn't work Cooley into the gameplan. He made the most out of his one opportunity.

LOL. I bet Shanny drafts a TE. We need someone behind Davis and Paulsen.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,744
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
^ i dont think he was really given that much of a shot, 90% of his time on the field he was blocking/decoy..
There was a reason for that. Look back at the reviews from camp, his loss of a step (or more) was obvious to those who observed him.

From all that I have read, Shanny is one of those "Prove It To Me" coaches. If you want to be put in a position to produce on the field, you need to show him that you can do it in practice. So, Cooley, who - by all accounts I read from people paid to make such observations - was not getting it done in practice, was simply not getting plays run through him on game day.

Given his penchant for key drops, however, I am pretty sure Paul is showing speed and little else. Something that Cooley never really possessed. It seems to me, Paul is Davis' back-up and Cooley is Paulson's back-up. At this stage of their respective careers, Paulson is hands down the better player.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #34
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 718
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
You failed! To recognize they didn't work Cooley into the gameplan. He made the most out of his one opportunity.

LOL. I bet Shanny drafts a TE. We need someone behind Davis and Paulsen.
Whoever they put behind Davis and Paulsen, they had better be able to do something on special teams. Seeing as the number three TE gets rated on that aspect more so than the first two.

Lets be honest, when our problem is 3rd stringers, why are we complaining? We arent New England, we just came out of 20 years of mass futility and blatant stupidity from the FO. To assume that we find 42 players who could be starters in year one and win 4 Super Bowls by year 3 is a touch unrealistic for this FO, isnt it?

We need a RT, we need Secondary, but for 20 years, we needed 18 starters and an entire roster of backups...... To go 500....

Since the SB MVP has never been a 3rd string TE, or the fact that the 3rd string TE position has never been discussed as much as it has on this very board, Im going to go with... WTF? Seriously?

I think I live in an alternate dimension where the Redskins won the NFC East last year. Apparently they had 3 wins in the normal one.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #35
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 29
Posts: 2,050
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

We dont need cooley on our roster, paul is quick and still coming into his own, Paulsen proved himself viable and davis is great.. most people are only talking about it cuz.the.guy was a fan favorite and its the offseason, we.talk about whatever.we.CAN , in the offseason lol... no alternate universe
__________________
NFL officiating is BY FAR the worst in proffessional sports. Except no substitutions... worse or not!!


R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #36
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,989
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
^ i dont think he was really given that much of a shot, 90% of his time on the field he was blocking/decoy..

You don't get playing time in the game until you can prove it in practice. It's Shanny's way. Always has, always will. If he can't beat out Davis or Paulsen in practice, it tells you all you need to know. His injuries have slowed him down over the seasons unfortunately and he's one person who couldn't afford to lose a step.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #37
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Whoever they put behind Davis and Paulsen, they had better be able to do something on special teams. Seeing as the number three TE gets rated on that aspect more so than the first two.

Lets be honest, when our problem is 3rd stringers, why are we complaining? We arent New England, we just came out of 20 years of mass futility and blatant stupidity from the FO. To assume that we find 42 players who could be starters in year one and win 4 Super Bowls by year 3 is a touch unrealistic for this FO, isnt it?

We need a RT, we need Secondary, but for 20 years, we needed 18 starters and an entire roster of backups...... To go 500....

Since the SB MVP has never been a 3rd string TE, or the fact that the 3rd string TE position has never been discussed as much as it has on this very board, Im going to go with... WTF? Seriously?

I think I live in an alternate dimension where the Redskins won the NFC East last year. Apparently they had 3 wins in the normal one.
All good points my man. The flip-side is Davis is returning from injury and has an otherwise checkered past. Maybe it's just me, but I don't trust Davis to be "there" consistently. And I'm a big fan of Lunch Pale Logan, but my whole point is behind him we basically have nothing for TE. It's a tough sitz to be sure, but adding a quality TE not only gives us security against Davis' injury/suspension concerns, but it also gives us leverage in negotiations with him next year, and he's already shown he's going wherever he gets the biggest paycheck.

For those wringing their hands about our WR corp, I would say TE is yet a bigger concern, behind FS and RT.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #38
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You don't get playing time in the game until you can prove it in practice. It's Shanny's way. Always has, always will. If he can't beat out Davis or Paulsen in practice, it tells you all you need to know. His injuries have slowed him down over the seasons unfortunately and he's one person who couldn't afford to lose a step.
That theory only holds water as far as Niles Paul, and B Banks before that. What, are you telling us Paul forgets how to catch, run routes and block every game but does it to perfection on the weekdays? C'mon man.

You could make the argument Shanny rewards "potential" but even that has exceptions.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #39
Impact Rookie
 
ethat001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 727
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
We dont need cooley on our roster, paul is quick and still coming into his own, ...

Agree, Cooley's done. But has Paul truly proven himself? Not sure I saw enough last year to be happy about the position yet.

Regardless, S.Sharpe broke out in his 3rd year as a TE, perhaps it could get better for Paul and he certainly has an elite QB throwing to him.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #40
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,989
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
That theory only holds water as far as Niles Paul, and B Banks before that. What, are you telling us Paul forgets how to catch, run routes and block every game but does it to perfection on the weekdays? C'mon man.

You could make the argument Shanny rewards "potential" but even that has exceptions.
Niles Paul is basically third string. He hasn't even beat out Paulsen for the position. They had him at 3rd string for his potential, not because he was a polished product. That is what you are supposed to do with guys with high upsides. Also, Paul plays special teams, Cooley does not.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #41
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 718
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
All good points my man. The flip-side is Davis is returning from injury and has an otherwise checkered past. Maybe it's just me, but I don't trust Davis to be "there" consistently. And I'm a big fan of Lunch Pale Logan, but my whole point is behind him we basically have nothing for TE. It's a tough sitz to be sure, but adding a quality TE not only gives us security against Davis' injury/suspension concerns, but it also gives us leverage in negotiations with him next year, and he's already shown he's going wherever he gets the biggest paycheck.

For those wringing their hands about our WR corp, I would say TE is yet a bigger concern, behind FS and RT.
But the same logic can be applied to the WR position with the expiring contracts next year (Moss and Morgan), and concerns of Garcon's foot this year.

Throw in that its also possible for a 3rd string TE (whether that be a rookie or Cooley) to never get on the field except special teams and be a decent sized drop from Paul on special teams. We could actually get worse since Paul has shown something there. Hes not the best at catching, but definitely gives it up as a gunner.

I still think we only take a TE if its BPA. Give me a solid RT in the draft, and we can use Polumbus as the number 3 blocking TE for all I care.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,408
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Nothing at TE? Exaggerate much?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #43
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,744
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Nothing at TE? Exaggerate much?
<sitting quietly in the corner, laughing to myself>
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #44
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
You failed! To recognize they didn't work Cooley into the gameplan. He made the most out of his one opportunity.

LOL. I bet Shanny drafts a TE. We need someone behind Davis and Paulsen.
I didn't fail to recognize anything. I'm sure the coaches gave Cooley a chance in practice as well in a few games. If he is not performing in practice the coaches will not give him the time on the field. I was one of the guys who thought Cooley still could play but he has proven me wrong. There is a reason no one was knocking at his door when he was sitting at home. I'd love if he could prove me wrong but I don't think it will happen.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #45
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,775
Re: Cooley - Redskins or no one

As far as I am concerned, anyone with eyes last year saw that Cooley was done. Period. Scheme and "chances" had nothing to do with it. I'm a Cooley fan...but stick a fork in him.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29232 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25