Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,694
Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

I thought of something while reading this. Does Coles know that his career could be on the decline and that's why he wanted a new deal from the Jets and also snagged the $5M bonus from us in the process? Is he just trying to milk as much money as he can for fear that his toe really is a problem?

One thing's for sure, the guy sure is rollin' in the green!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2010303


The trade of unhappy wide receivers Santana Moss and Laveranues Coles, which had taken on a life of its own over a stop-and-start 10-day stretch, was finally completed on Wednesday when the latter successfully completed his physical exam with the New York Jets. But while Coles passed muster with the Jets medical staff, there are some personnel men and pro scouts in the league who feel the injury to his right big toe, which nagged him through the better portion of the past two seasons, remains a problem. Certainly the numbers at least hint that the damaged toe, on which Coles has steadfastly declined to have surgery, has been a bit of a deterrent to the wideout's authoring big plays. From his arrival in the league in 2000 through the third game of the 2003 season, the outing in which he suffered the toe injury, Coles averaged 15.0 yards per reception and scored a touchdown every 13.8 catches. In the 29 games since the injury, Coles has averaged 11.8 yards per reception and has scored a touchdown every 24.8 catches.

Coles is wary of going under the knife, he has hinted, because similar toe surgery prematurely ended the career of former NFL wide receiver O.J. McDuffie. That onetime Miami starter remains in litigation, having brought charges against the surgeon who performed his operation. In terms of the contract Coles signed with the Jets as part of the trade, it provided him even more security. There were still five seasons, totaling $21 million, remaining of the seven-year, $35 million deal Coles signed in Washington in 2002. By reworking the contract, Coles raised the five-year take to $25 million and received $8 million in guarantees. That included a $5 million signing bonus and three guaranteed roster bonuses of $1 million apiece. So, just since March of 2003, when he pocketed a $13 million signing bonus from the Redskins, the five-year veteran wideout has banked $21 million in guarantees. In his two seasons in Washington, he earned a total of $14 million, counting his signing bonus and base salaries. If he plays the entire five-year contract with the Jets, he will have earned a whopping $40 million in seven years, making him one of the highest paid wide receivers in history. The base salaries for his deal with the Jets are $1 million (2005), $2 million (2006), $4 million (2007), $5 million (2008) and $6 million (2009).
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

I really think his toe issues greased the wheels on this. I can totally see Bubba Tyer telling Gibbs to cut and run. I mean this guy's play is predicated on being fast and quick. Running good routes with good cuts created his seperation. He is not a big guy and while he plays physically he doesn't have the strength of bigger receivers so he can't make seperation very easily that way. I think one of the main reasons he caught so many short passes this year is because they felt he still had the straight away speed and some wiggle that he could create moving foward. But running precise routes and cutting CBs out of their jocks wasn't in the cards. It was they only way to maximize his avaiable skills. If his toe is degenerative or at at least chronic he loses a lot of value in my mind. Before the toe he sure was a serious #1 but after it the numbers (admittedly skewed by a conservative approach last year) show it was at least a medium level problem.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,464
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

I wouldn't go so far to say that he isn't a big guy. The guy has got some major guns on him.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,694
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
I wouldn't go so far to say that he isn't a big guy. The guy has got some major guns on him.
He's in great shape but he's still just 5'11 and 195.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,464
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Height-wise no. Strength-wise yes.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,911
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Who cares, he's a Jet now..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #7
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Coles' toe certainly contributed to his lack of big plays.

But, by week 10, pretty much EVERYONE on this site and Gibbs himself (!!!) said he was too conservative in his play-calling. He has supposedly committed himself to "opening up of the offense" and trying to go vertical more. He said he regretted some of his decisions to remain conservative. Certainly, there were valid reasons for keeping the offense conservative (the team was learning a new offense, the QB situation was unstable, etc), but IMHO, Gibbs' playcalling was the number one reason for Coles' piss-poor ypc.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
Coles' toe certainly contributed to his lack of big plays.

But, by week 10, pretty much EVERYONE on this site and Gibbs himself (!!!) said he was too conservative in his play-calling. He has supposedly committed himself to "opening up of the offense" and trying to go vertical more. He said he regretted some of his decisions to remain conservative. Certainly, there were valid reasons for keeping the offense conservative (the team was learning a new offense, the QB situation was unstable, etc), but IMHO, Gibbs' playcalling was the number one reason for Coles' piss-poor ypc.
This is what totally confuses me. Joe Gibbs was a offensive genius in his first stint. Everyone wants portray him as having a grind it out type offense back then which isn't really true. They threw downfield often but they used the grind it out type of plays to control leads.
I have got to think that he didn't just forget that. The play calling last year was remarkably bland and conservative but why? Was it becasue he had lost it or was it because he thought it was the best way to go. I'd say he probably evaluated the talent and the injury situation and thought they didn't have the parts to make a downfield game work. I know everyone here was frustrated with it but none of us have a super bowl ring and he happens to have three. I am gonna side with him on this. As for his own contentions that they needed to open it up I think those comments were based on several factors including a desire to placate fans and a desire to show the players he could adjust. They did in fact go downfield somewhat more but with little success. In the end how was he going to switch from what he obviously thought was the best plan possible?
The best sign of his belief that we didn't have the tools is the way they have gone about rebuilding the WR corp. I think maybe now he feels he can open it for real. As for last year he did what he thought was best and he KNOWS he is doing. I guess I just an eternal optimist with our ole boy Gibbs.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 AM   #9
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,617
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
This is what totally confuses me. Joe Gibbs was a offensive genius in his first stint. Everyone wants portray him as having a grind it out type offense back then which isn't really true. They threw downfield often but they used the grind it out type of plays to control leads.
I have got to think that he didn't just forget that. The play calling last year was remarkably bland and conservative but why? Was it becasue he had lost it or was it because he thought it was the best way to go. I'd say he probably evaluated the talent and the injury situation and thought they didn't have the parts to make a downfield game work. I know everyone here was frustrated with it but none of us have a super bowl ring and he happens to have three. I am gonna side with him on this. As for his own contentions that they needed to open it up I think those comments were based on several factors including a desire to placate fans and a desire to show the players he could adjust. They did in fact go downfield somewhat more but with little success. In the end how was he going to switch from what he obviously thought was the best plan possible?
The best sign of his belief that we didn't have the tools is the way they have gone about rebuilding the WR corp. I think maybe now he feels he can open it for real. As for last year he did what he thought was best and he KNOWS he is doing. I guess I just an eternal optimist with our ole boy Gibbs.

I agree with you. Gibbs, contrary to what some might tell you, didn't become dumb overnight. He know what he's doing. And what he did was what all of us fans always say the Redskins don't do enough of...preach patience. He knew he needed a year to evaluate the talent on the field, try out different game plans, basically get a feel for what he's working with-both teamwise and leaguewise. With a year under his belt he and the Skins are ready for big things in '05.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:46 AM   #10
Special Teams
 
aehs77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: silver spring
Age: 29
Posts: 486
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
Who cares, he's a Jet now..
could not have said it better myself
aehs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:47 AM   #11
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,587
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

We'll see about the toe, the system, etc.

I just hope Santana stays healthy. That guy can fly when he's healthy, but he hasn't been that durable either.
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:23 AM   #12
The Starter
 
backrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 36.28 x 76.22
Age: 62
Posts: 1,809
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep
We'll see about the toe, the system, etc.

I just hope Santana stays healthy. That guy can fly when he's healthy, but he hasn't been that durable either.
It wasn't just the toe. The play calling, keeping QB Brunnell in there, adjusting to Portis and not a power back, not having a complete OL without Jansen, and then the switch to PRam, may have all contributed!
__________________
'37, '42, '83, '88, '92. Championship!
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
CRT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rockville
Age: 51
Posts: 795
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
This is what totally confuses me. Joe Gibbs was a offensive genius in his first stint. Everyone wants portray him as having a grind it out type offense back then which isn't really true. They threw downfield often but they used the grind it out type of plays to control leads.
I have got to think that he didn't just forget that. The play calling last year was remarkably bland and conservative but why? Was it becasue he had lost it or was it because he thought it was the best way to go. I'd say he probably evaluated the talent and the injury situation and thought they didn't have the parts to make a downfield game work. I know everyone here was frustrated with it but none of us have a super bowl ring and he happens to have three. I am gonna side with him on this. As for his own contentions that they needed to open it up I think those comments were based on several factors including a desire to placate fans and a desire to show the players he could adjust. They did in fact go downfield somewhat more but with little success. In the end how was he going to switch from what he obviously thought was the best plan possible?
The best sign of his belief that we didn't have the tools is the way they have gone about rebuilding the WR corp. I think maybe now he feels he can open it for real. As for last year he did what he thought was best and he KNOWS he is doing. I guess I just an eternal optimist with our ole boy Gibbs.
There is only one thing that should be addressed when talking about our offense. The subpar play at the QB position. PAtrick came in to late and still is just getting a understanding of this offense versus the let the QB be killed mentality of Spurrier. It takes time to understand protection schemes and build a repoire of your coach and players. Our QB's both sucked last year with Patrick being better then the money man they brought in. Just remeber they were competative in every game last year except for the Giants game. This is quite a change to the previous coaching staffs who let their team give up. He is a genius when it comes to coaching and mangaging players. Andy Reid is a offesnive genius but Gibbs is a team genius, so be calm and wait for the storm, cause when it hits you will go wild.
__________________
16-0 for 2007
CRT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #14
The Starter
 
RedskinPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Camino,Ca
Posts: 1,174
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

People a O runs on the line!!! I don't care who is calling the playes or at QB,WR or RB for the most part! If the guys up frount do not do the job it is hell getting anything done! If the line is donig it's job then the play calling and QB come in to play! RB next then the WR's. If the line is kicking someones ass on the run and keeping the QB safe to pass we should do well! Last years line didn't do that very well and killed themselfs with flags or the O couldn't get plays of in time! I hope with a new Center and Jansen back alond with a good draft for back ups this will get better!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #15
Special Teams
 
rickmmrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 317
Re: Lenny P: Coles' toe still a concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow
It wasn't just the toe. The play calling, keeping QB Brunnell in there, adjusting to Portis and not a power back, not having a complete OL without Jansen, and then the switch to PRam, may have all contributed!
My thoughts exactly. There were a lot of issues. There were also a lot of dropped balls.
rickmmrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31686 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25