Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #271
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,766
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Agree, but at the same time there are a lot of people who support keeping the name who are making it about "me". "I don't care that you feel it offends your heritage, this is my football team, my team colors, my team history. Why are you taking that away from me?"
I can understand that in a way though. Hey, for a lot of us, there are great childhood memories associated with this team - especially a lot of us who grew up in the 80's. Changing the name almost feels as if we're erasing all of that history. Does it sound selfish? Absolutely. Is it wrong to think in those terms? Not at all. There's always this notion that words, over time, can bring about negative connotation, but nobody believes it can ever possibly be the other way around. I don't get that? Who made up that rule?
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline  

Advertisements
Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #272
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,313
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I don't support the name change but, to add on what you're saying, an estimated 50 million to 100 million Native Americans were wiped out by the European colonization. Thanks, smallpox!

But I'd say that's a... pretty good reason to be butthurt.
yall are right, you know we should leave. Hello Canada!
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #273
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
When Canadians travel abroad they like to represent their country in say the form of patches, etc on their backpacks. They want to be distinguished from Americans. Lol
Lets go to Mexico instead, plus the weather is nicer.
Cue James Taylor....
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #274
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
yall are right, you know we should leave. Hello Canada!
I didn't mean that we should take it that far. But perhaps we should recognize that they might have a right to be upset and touchy about some things which for anyone else would just be whining.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #275
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,313
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I didn't mean that we should take it that far. But perhaps we should recognize that they might have a right to be upset and touchy about some things which for anyone else would just be whining.
I think we should focus more on issues American Indians really still endure. I think we missing the point and Dan could be missing an opportunity to maybe turning this around into something positive. Skins could reach out with other teams with an indian mascot/name for a pow wow build an understanding and talk about some real issues. Then we could smoka the peace pipe (packed with medicinal).
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #276
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I think we should focus more on issues American Indians really still endure. I think we missing the point and Dan could be missing an opportunity to maybe turning this around into something positive. Skins could reach out with other teams with an indian mascot/name for a pow wow build an understanding and talk about some real issues. Then we could smoka the peace pipe (packed with medicinal).
I agree with this. Major problems faced by Native Americans include poverty and a lack of employment opportunities. Deep Pockets Danny could respond in a way which makes folks happy and grateful.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #277
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,313
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I agree with this. Major problems faced by Native Americans include poverty and a lack of employment opportunities. Deep Pockets Danny could respond in a way which makes folks happy and grateful.
Id like to see an united effort with sports and American Indians, bring awareness, fund raising and real programs to help. Hell I bet you bring some Indians into fed ex for a game, those offended probably see a different side.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #278
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Having mostly grown up on a reservation and seeing how it's changed over the last several decades I tend to believe the team name issue is just another ploy to get more money by the tribe in question. Over the last few years on the Flathead reservation, non tribal members started getting letters from the tribe that say all ground water (from wells, cisterns etc.) have "become the property of the tribe" and if you still want access to your own well, that may have been there for decades already, you must start sending payments to the tribe. No joke here. Some people are actually paying out of fear because the tribe is so litigious and aggressive. Others just say fuck off. And the smart ones are fighting it legally. So yeah, when I hear complaining about the name issue I think they see green, not red, so to speak.
The Goat is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #279
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I think we should focus more on issues American Indians really still endure. I think we missing the point and Dan could be missing an opportunity to maybe turning this around into something positive. Skins could reach out with other teams with an indian mascot/name for a pow wow build an understanding and talk about some real issues. Then we could smoka the peace pipe (packed with medicinal).
Do you think people would take that as we are paying them to go away as opposed to something positive?
Edit: i happen to think it is a fantastic idea but people who just want to attack DS and the skins will twist it into something bad
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #280
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Id like to see an united effort with sports and American Indians, bring awareness, fund raising and real programs to help. Hell I bet you bring some Indians into fed ex for a game, those offended probably see a different side.
They will see how bad we are and take pity. Lol
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #281
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,716
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
There are several different theories and accounts about where the term came from. Nowhere is it definitively stated that the new foundland tribe who painted their bodies red is the true origin. Not to mention, that settlers referring to native americans as "redskins", and this tribe referred to as the "red men" are two completely different things.
A Senior Linguist from the Smithsonian seems like a pretty credible source to me, especially since his research was extensive, thorough and took months to complete. The point I've tried to make is that this is a unique situation with no comparable equivalent and is hardly an open and shut case.

There is no "fuzziness" surrounding other "slurs" that people try to equate with the word "Redskin". There is no debate on their origin, no debate among the offended community on acceptability and no examples of the word being used the way Redskins is used by dozens of High Schools across the country, some of which are over 100 years old.

Changing an 80 year old brand name with millions of loyal customers is not a trivial thing, and it shouldn't surprise anyone when it doesn't happen immediately just because of heightened media attention.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #282
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,766
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in;1037516[B
]Do you think people would take that as we are paying them to go away as opposed to something positive?[/B]
Edit: i happen to think it is a fantastic idea but people who just want to attack DS and the skins will twist it into something bad
Honestly who cares what they think. I think that is what is wrong with this entire issue, we're too worried about what people think who are not involved directly in this.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #283
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,351
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
There are several different theories and accounts about where the term came from. Nowhere is it definitively stated that the new foundland tribe who painted their bodies red is the true origin. Not to mention, that settlers referring to native americans as "redskins", and this tribe referred to as the "red men" are two completely different things.

It is here...

Indianz.Com > Doug George-Kanentiio: A Mohawk's perspective on 'Redskins'


The use of “redskins” was among the worse of these labels. That word originally referred to the Beothuks of Newfoundland, a peaceful people who colored their skin with red ochre as adornment and to keep the mosquitoes at bay. Their passivity was mistaken for weakness and after the waves of European diseases killed most of them those who survived were hunted and murdered for sport. By 1830 they were extinct. One of the reprehensible tactics was to remove the skins of the Beothuks and use them as covers for books and as leggings for the hunters.

This act of skinning Native people, both men and women, continued on along the frontier. It was an act of terror meant to instill fear and drive the Natives from coveted lands. It was justified by these stereotypes that were highly effective in undermining the dignity, pride and self-assurance of our people. We are, among all peoples in this hemisphere, the most misunderstood, the most libeled and the most despised because of the lies in the media, in popular literature and, sadly, in the schools.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #284
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,716
Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

The world we live in:

Hallmark ornament has 'Deck the Halls' -- without the gay apparel

Hallmark 'Deck the Halls,' without gay apparel - CNN.com
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #285
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
It is here...

Indianz.Com > Doug George-Kanentiio: A Mohawk's perspective on 'Redskins'


The use of “redskins” was among the worse of these labels. That word originally referred to the Beothuks of Newfoundland, a peaceful people who colored their skin with red ochre as adornment and to keep the mosquitoes at bay. Their passivity was mistaken for weakness and after the waves of European diseases killed most of them those who survived were hunted and murdered for sport. By 1830 they were extinct. One of the reprehensible tactics was to remove the skins of the Beothuks and use them as covers for books and as leggings for the hunters.

This act of skinning Native people, both men and women, continued on along the frontier. It was an act of terror meant to instill fear and drive the Natives from coveted lands. It was justified by these stereotypes that were highly effective in undermining the dignity, pride and self-assurance of our people. We are, among all peoples in this hemisphere, the most misunderstood, the most libeled and the most despised because of the lies in the media, in popular literature and, sadly, in the schools.
What i meant by two different things was that "redskins" or " red men" seems to have two different starting points. One being that tribe because of the paint they used and one being in reference to skin color of the native americans.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29809 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25