Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Who are your starting Safeties

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Who should be the starting safeties (select 2)
DeJon Gomes 3 3.09%
Brandon Meriweather 85 87.63%
Jordan Pugh 2 2.06%
Reed Doughty 14 14.43%
Baccari Rambo 76 78.35%
Tanard Jackson 12 12.37%
Not on team yet 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #46
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Why would you think that Rambo would be a liability but not Amerson? Both are rookies and will be game-planned against for the first time; most likely neither will look good the first game. Anyway, even if Rambo would be a big liability, I would much rather start him than Gomes or even Doughty. If Rambo gets burned a couple of times, it will be a good learning experience. Gomes is a scrub and I don't want Doughty on the field unless he's needed. I think Rambo and Amerson should both start.
Based on preseason play, Amerson has looked more than solid against good players and Rambo looks to be a big liability in the run game. He will be very risky against the eagles running game with Vick and McCoy. Being a rookie adds to that risk in the passing game especially at safety. Safety usually provides the help to other teammates and thus doesn't receive a lot of it (help). Amerson is playing at a higher level than Rambo right now and seems to be gaining confidence and getting better - in both the running and passing game. At the very least Reed Doughty provides a sure and physical tackler that would help contain Vick in the running and also use in blitz packages. The improved Redskins pass rush will also help Doughty in the passing game.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #47
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Also, by nature of positions, it is much riskier to start a rookie Safety than a rookie Corner. There are more responsibilities that involve the defense as a whole. And if Rambo is a liability now without gameplanning against him, I would think it would be riskier to start him once they start (gameplanning).
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #48
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

... and to be clear, I'm not down on Rambo's potential. I'm just down on him early on because of his steep learning curve and inexperience as a rookie.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #49
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Rambo definitely has a long way to go, and if he doesn't get up to speed it'll be a long season back there. Wondering if we should have transitioned Hall to safety more and more. Oh well, too late now.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #50
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,121
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

rambo had a nice play causing the turnover last night. learning curves at every position, he will get burnt sometimes, but I like the confidence the coaching staff is putting in him right now. Im sure there is a plan.
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #51
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
rambo had a nice play causing the turnover last night. learning curves at every position, he will get burnt sometimes, but I like the confidence the coaching staff is putting in him right now. Im sure there is a plan.
I think there's a reason why the position was named: Safety. It's the last line of defense, and it is the position that needs to be most consistent. A safety can't afford a big mistake on the same play that another player makes a big mistake because that usually means touchdown for the other team - ie: Orakpo and Rambo on Chris Johnson's long touchdown run. That's too easy for the other team. And in the case of the eagles, the redskins need to beat them down and keep them there so it sets the tone for both the redskins and eagles season.

A touchdown run like Chris Johnson's run would give the eagles hope for the game and maybe even for the season. And just because Rambo played.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #52
Special Teams
 
JoLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Jersey
Age: 23
Posts: 342
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I think right now, Madieu Williams and Rambo are the same player. The difference is that Madieu was only getting worse and Rambo can only get better.


I just hope Rambo isn't a practice star that doesn't show up come game time.
Rambo has a way to go, but he will most certainly be better then Madieu at playing deep centerfield/over the top coverage. If there was one thing he was known for at college it was his deep cover skills and he should create turnovers for us which Madieu rarely did. So i am happy we have a new face back there.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #53
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I think there's a reason why the position was named: Safety. It's the last line of defense, and it is the position that needs to be most consistent. A safety can't afford a big mistake on the same play that another player makes a big mistake because that usually means touchdown for the other team - ie: Orakpo and Rambo on Chris Johnson's long touchdown run. That's too easy for the other team. And in the case of the eagles, the redskins need to beat them down and keep them there so it sets the tone for both the redskins and eagles season.

A touchdown run like Chris Johnson's run would give the eagles hope for the game and maybe even for the season. And just because Rambo played.
If you honestly think Doughty has a chance against Johnson, you are sadly mistaken. Doughty would never get to Johnson to force a cutback if he is in pass protection to start the play. Rambo at least gets there, he just needs to learn angles at pro speed. Doughty excels against the run when he starts the play in the box, but is a liability on both run and pass when he lines up at center field. Which is why Doughty doesnt play free safety.

That TD by Chris Johnson was not "just because Rambo played". With Vick, Shady, and LaSean on the field, a slow safety is going to be toast the entire game. Especially if Kelly uses them the right way.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #54
Impact Rookie
 
Gary84Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 745
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Rambo has the one essential trait that you can not teach. SPEED.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #55
Special Teams
 
JoLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Jersey
Age: 23
Posts: 342
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
Rambo has the one essential trait that you can not teach. SPEED.
and a nose for the ball.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #56
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
If you honestly think Doughty has a chance against Johnson, you are sadly mistaken. Doughty would never get to Johnson to force a cutback if he is in pass protection to start the play. Rambo at least gets there, he just needs to learn angles at pro speed. Doughty excels against the run when he starts the play in the box, but is a liability on both run and pass when he lines up at center field. Which is why Doughty doesnt play free safety.

That TD by Chris Johnson was not "just because Rambo played". With Vick, Shady, and LaSean on the field, a slow safety is going to be toast the entire game. Especially if Kelly uses them the right way.
Actually yeah doughty has a chance against Chris Johnson. Remember his strength is playing the run and close to the line of scrimmage. Doughty would have a chance to at least to slow Johnson down instead of allowing for an easy untouched td. I don't remember doughty getting beaten like that on a td run. The passing game is a different story though where is often overmatched.

Whether you like him or not, Rambo has shown that he is a liability in the running game so far. I don't want to see another td run like that in the first game and just chalk it up to a learning experience. Which he hasn't shown that he has fixed yet. He has to fix his positioning and angles. And if he hasn't shown he has fixed it when the eagles game comes around, I wouldn't feel good to have him start that game.

Last edited by warriorzpath; 08-20-2013 at 10:15 PM.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #57
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

I am only hounding on Rambo's tackling/positioning issues because it's important as part of the fundamentals of his position and in football in general. It's not a luxury skill to have - it's something he NEEDS to fix. So much so that opposing defensive players are trying to give him pointers to fix.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #58
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Actually yeah doughty has a chance against Chris Johnson. Remember his strength is playing the run and close to the line of scrimmage. Doughty would have a chance to at least to slow Johnson down instead of allowing for an easy untouched td. I don't remember doughty getting beaten like that on a td run. The passing game is a different story though where is often overmatched.

Whether you like him or not, Rambo has shown that he is a liability in the running game so far. I don't want to see another td run like that in the first game and just chalk it up to a learning experience. Which he hasn't shown that he has fixed yet. He has to fix his positioning and angles. And if he hasn't shown he has fixed it when the eagles game comes around, I wouldn't feel good to have him start that game.
But we arent talking about Doughty playing Strong Safety, we are talking about him playing Free Safety. If Doughty had replaced Rambo for that one play, he wouldnt have been near the line of scrimmage. The reason you dont remember Doughty getting beaten like that on a TD run is because you rarely if ever see Doughty lined up as a single deep safety. Then have someone who runs a sub 4.3 break through the line untouched.

Last I checked, there was 11 people on our defense, not just a single safety. That was a defense wide failure. Orakpo played the bootleg on the QB. London bailed hard on the run to the defenses left. Riley (who was actually to the cut back side) also bailed hard to the left. The whole D line never even thought about a cutback and they also bailed hard to the left. Leaving Rambo one on one with a guy that has made pro bowl safeties look silly in a one on one situation.

I agree that Rambo must get better at his angles. But to blame him for that TD run by Johnson is laughable at best. Had Doughty been put in that exact same situation, Chris Johnson still gets a TD.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #59
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,769
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

The scouting report on Rambo was that he took bad angles in the run game and had problems with open field tackles. I think He is there to play the pass not to help out that much in the run, for that they got Phillip Thomas (now Hurt) and doughty. Taking correct angles and making open field tackles takes a long time for rookies to adjust to so as long as Rambo isn't getting beat deep, which he isn't yet, lets give him a chance to learn and show what he can do. It's only two preseason games, but who is better on the redskins right now in terms of not letting someone get behind them? In my opinion, Rambo might not be that great of a safety right now, but he's the only option the skins truly have right now as a free safety.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #60
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

I don't think you can easily dismiss the fact that Rambo made the same big mistake with Dwyer and Chris Johnson 2 games in a row and has yet to fix it. It's something that needs to be fixed before the first game or bottom line he shouldn't play. You can say he will improve or place blame elsewhere but bottom line he still has this issue. And it's a big one.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30749 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25