Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Who are your starting Safeties

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Who should be the starting safeties (select 2)
DeJon Gomes 3 3.09%
Brandon Meriweather 85 87.63%
Jordan Pugh 2 2.06%
Reed Doughty 14 14.43%
Baccari Rambo 76 78.35%
Tanard Jackson 12 12.37%
Not on team yet 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #91
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,576
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
...and we won the NFC East title for the first time in forever and made the playoffs. Rule #1 in good sound defense, control the line of scrimmage and stop the run. The rest is important as well, but if you do not stop the run you will not make the playoffs and you are playing for next year. We had one of the worst pass defenses last seson and still made the playoffs.
Im still old school and agree with this. +1
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #92
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,686
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
I have already said that if Gomes is better, that he should play over Rambo. I have also said that he clearly needs to work on his angles. But who is better on the team to play the position of free safety? The fact is, NFL coaches agree with me that playing the pass is important for a free safety. Otherwise we would just put a LB as a free safety if playing the run was the only thing they are responsible for.

What you dont seem to understand is that Gomes is not the second coming of Troy Polamalu. Nor is any of the other players that we have at free safety. If Rambo, for all of his deficiencies, is the best free safety on the team, then he should be the one playing.
Where in the hell did anyone, anywhere, come close to saying that Gomes is the second coming of Polamalu? You're the only one that even put them in the same sentence in the history of Gomes and Polamalu playing football. You are obviously delusional and in denial by even implying that I said something like that to bolster your argument.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #93
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,061
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Because RG3 and Alfred Morris had absolutely nothing to do with that. It was all Doughty and Madieu Williams, without those 2 at safety, we win 3 games...

We won the NFC East due to our offense, not our horribly ranked defense. We won in spite of being one of the worst defenses in the league.
Take a look at the teams that make the playoffs and the ones that don't. The teams that can stop the run and can run the ball on offense (Ravens, 49ers, Seattle, Redskins,etc) make more times than not. You can listen to the fantasy football geeks and people that sell the game all you want that say the "NFL is a passing league". But high passing teams (Brady, Manning and Rogers) were watching the Superbowl while the balanced teams that ran the ball 49ers and Ravens played in it.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #94
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 839
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Take a look at the teams that make the playoffs and the ones that don't. The teams that can stop the run and can run the ball on offense (Ravens, 49ers, Seattle, Redskins,etc) make more times than not. You can listen to the fantasy football geeks and people that sell the game all you want. But high passing teams were watching the Superbowl while the balanced teams that ran the ball 49ers and Ravens played in it.
The fact is we were average at stopping the run. Look at yards per carry, and we were middle of the pack. Its just that teams constantly passed on us and hardly ran. We had the fewest rushes against in the league. But if you honestly think that the reason the Ravens and 49ers stopped the run so well had nothing to do with any other players except the free safety, you are sadly mistaken. The Ravens and 49ers both had solid D lines and LB's.

Never once did I say that stopping the run was a bad thing. What I have said consistently is that the free safety is not the number one run stopper.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #95
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 839
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Where in the hell did anyone, anywhere, come close to saying that Gomes is the second coming of Polamalu? You're the only one that even put them in the same sentence in the history of Gomes and Polamalu playing football. You are obviously delusional and in denial by even implying that I said something like that to bolster your argument.
I will ask this again for the third time. Who is better at free safety on this team? If they are better than Rambo, then by all means they should play over him.

Im pretty sure that if you ask any D Coord. in the league, they will not tell you that the main responsibility of the free safety is to stop the run.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #96
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 839
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Just to add, when you go by total rushing yards against. Which is what is used to rank teams. The two best teams against the run were Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh. Two teams that didnt make the playoffs. Baltimore was 20th against the run.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #97
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,686
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
I will ask this again for the third time. Who is better at free safety on this team? If they are better than Rambo, then by all means they should play over him.

Im pretty sure that if you ask any D Coord. in the league, they will not tell you that the main responsibility of the free safety is to stop the run.
Let me say this for the UMPTEENTH time - he CAN'T play if he has this problem with the basics of tackling. Only IF he shows that he fixed this problem then that's when you put him into the discussion.

Have you seen a starting safety (free or otherwise) play in the NFL that consistently makes this mistake, have any kind of longevity? It's a secondary concern who plays in his place if he's making this mistake consistently, but he needs to be on the bench. He has 2 games to prove that he has fixed this problem, if not, and they start him (which I doubt), Vick and McCoy will eat him alive.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #98
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,788
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Part of the reason we were even average against the run was because teams didn't bother to run. They knew they could beat us through the air. I'm with Skinzman; Rambo is the best option and should start. He might get beat by Vick or McCoy a few times, but we can't pull him out of the Eagles' game and deny him valuable experience just so we win the game.

Edit: warriorzpath, Rambo is a rookie. As in, he has never played in an NFL regular season game. Give him time to develop; he's going to need more than just a couple games to improve.
__________________
"...there's no reason why this team can't win. There's no reason at all." - Scot, 1-9-15

Keep the name.
SirLK26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #99
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Reed and Rambo. I don't trust Meriweather's health yet.

Actually, I probably trust him more for week 1 than week 2

Just catching up..but I agree with this. Has Meriweather been on the field this year? Reed and Rambo imo.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #100
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Let me say this for the UMPTEENTH time - he CAN'T play if he has this problem with the basics of tackling. Only IF he shows that he fixed this problem then that's when you put him into the discussion.

Have you seen a starting safety (free or otherwise) play in the NFL that consistently makes this mistake, have any kind of longevity? It's a secondary concern who plays in his place if he's making this mistake consistently, but he needs to be on the bench. He has 2 games to prove that he has fixed this problem, if not, and they start him (which I doubt), Vick and McCoy will eat him alive.
I remember during Sean Taylor's rookie year, he took bad angles trying to blow guys up. Not comparing Rambo to Taylor, but I think it's a technique thing that can be worked out.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #101
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 839
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Let me say this for the UMPTEENTH time - he CAN'T play if he has this problem with the basics of tackling. Only IF he shows that he fixed this problem then that's when you put him into the discussion.

Have you seen a starting safety (free or otherwise) play in the NFL that consistently makes this mistake, have any kind of longevity? It's a secondary concern who plays in his place if he's making this mistake consistently, but he needs to be on the bench. He has 2 games to prove that he has fixed this problem, if not, and they start him (which I doubt), Vick and McCoy will eat him alive.
You wont answer the question. Who is a better replacement? Gomes isnt the answer, and Doughty can in no way handle free safety. If he is the best player for the job, regardless of deficiencies, then he plays. And according to Shanny and Haslett, he is the best for the job right now.

Again... If we are relying on our free safety to stop the Eagles running game, we have already lost that game. If the free safety is who we are relying on to stop the run, then we need to put in a different MLB and move London to free safety.

As for free safeties having longevity, some free safeties made a name for themselves as a center fielder. Playing almost exclusively against the pass.

The problem with Rambo is taking angles in the open field. I agree thats a problem, but according to the coaches of the Redskins, he is the best suited for the job. Because they understand that for a free safety, the most important job is defending the passing game.

When we get that free safety who the coaches rate as better than Rambo, then Rambo will sit. I dont really care if he is sitting or not. I want the best player available at each position. And as of right now at the free safety spot, thats Rambo.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #102
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,121
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Rambo clearly needs work, but he's a rookie. It's to be expected. He just needs to settle down and get some confidence going.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #103
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,686
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Part of the reason we were even average against the run was because teams didn't bother to run. They knew they could beat us through the air. I'm with Skinzman; Rambo is the best option and should start. He might get beat by Vick or McCoy a few times, but we can't pull him out of the Eagles' game and deny him valuable experience just so we win the game.
Experience be damned if it means for a greater chance to lose. Maybe this is the disconnect- I'm thinking that winning is the priority.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #104
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,686
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
You wont answer the question. Who is a better replacement? Gomes isnt the answer, and Doughty can in no way handle free safety. If he is the best player for the job, regardless of deficiencies, then he plays. And according to Shanny and Haslett, he is the best for the job right now.

Again... If we are relying on our free safety to stop the Eagles running game, we have already lost that game. If the free safety is who we are relying on to stop the run, then we need to put in a different MLB and move London to free safety.

As for free safeties having longevity, some free safeties made a name for themselves as a center fielder. Playing almost exclusively against the pass.

The problem with Rambo is taking angles in the open field. I agree thats a problem, but according to the coaches of the Redskins, he is the best suited for the job. Because they understand that for a free safety, the most important job is defending the passing game.

When we get that free safety who the coaches rate as better than Rambo, then Rambo will sit. I dont really care if he is sitting or not. I want the best player available at each position. And as of right now at the free safety spot, thats Rambo.
If he's still making this mistake, I'd think about playing him on obvious passing downs. I would start Reed Doughty at strong and Meriweather at free.

And I can't remember any safety making this mistake consistently in the NFL. Like I said before, one time (even for a long touchdown) you can chalk it up to being a rookie and a learning experience, but twice in his first 2 NFL game appearances is nothing to dismiss. It means that he didn't correct the problem and it wasn't a learning experience the first time around because he didn't learn.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #105
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 839
Re: Who are your starting Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
If he's still making this mistake, I'd think about playing him on obvious passing downs. I would start Reed Doughty at strong and Meriweather at free.

And I can't remember any safety making this mistake consistently in the NFL. Like I said before, one time (even for a long touchdown) you can chalk it up to being a rookie and a learning experience, but twice in his first 2 NFL game appearances is nothing to dismiss. It means that he didn't correct the problem and it wasn't a learning experience the first time around because he didn't learn.
Thats assuming that Meriweather is healthy and can stay healthy. Which im not sold on yet. But if our defense is better with those two as a combo, im not against it.

I also dont buy that twice in his first two games means he didnt or cant learn it. The NFL can take some time to learn and get adjusted to game speed. Look at Alfred Morris, as a rookie, he made plenty miss tackles on him. Some of the players being well established players. Two missed tackles in two games, with one being an open field tackle against Chris Johnson running all by himself, is not some crazy thing that never happens.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31111 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25