Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #46
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,572
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
As mlmdub said, both parties are at fault in this blame game. Not so much the older players because player safety and concussions weren't a big thing back then, and neither was the information as available as it is now. The players in the 2000's really don't have much of a leg to stand on. They've known now for a while about the future side effects of repeated concussions and they've continued playing. Even Portis would STILL be playing if any team were interested in him.


All this said, the players want money, they had their opportunity this past CBA to get that money. If they weren't so idiotic and impatient, they could have scored. As it is, you had too many that were living a high life style and caved into the peanuts thrown their way. There is no way the players couldn't demand a 80/20 split of the revenue. They ARE the talent, not the owners. If they walk away, it's the owners that are left with the massive debt and franchises, who's value would plummet. A 9 billion a year revenue machine and the prime employees who make it as great as it is settles for pennies on the dollar.

As for Matty's comment about the NFL withholding information about concussions. Without a doubt I believe they did. It's all about the product, and the product brings in the money. These owners could give two shits about the players health. It's their pockets they care about.
Well, yes and no.

They care about keeping their star players healthy, which in turn generates revenue.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,988
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
You go into rage mode every time someone criticizes Goodell. ...

1) It gets old 2) it gets boring 3) it is BS .

Your definition of rage and mine are very different .

Blaming Goodell for everything wrong ....and yes SOME people here do , is lazy and just BS.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #48
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,988
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, if RedskinRat, saden1, Smootsmack and Matty all beat the crap out of me, I can sue anyone of them for the entire amount of harm done to me (I'd pick saden1 b/c he studied law at a Holiday Inn). It is then up to saden1 to (1) join, by third party complaint, all the others; or (2) after I beat him in court, sue Matty, SS and RR for contribution to the judgment against him.

It is a defense to say "I am not the person that hurt you." It is not a defense to say "I am not the only person that hurt you." The purpose is to provide full recovery to a wrongly injured party. Thus, when a group of people wrongly harm you, the duty of specifically proving how much damage each person caused lies with those who caused the injuries - not with the person who suffered them.


Ok JR question , don't some states I think Florida is one that takes into account the fact of the person...ie ...victim help contribute to his injuries/ condition himself by being a willing and "paid" participant ?


Also you say "wrongly" ,how is this person wrong if they openly volunteered and where willing to inflict the same damage on others as was done to himself?
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #49
Special Teams
 
JPPT1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 182
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Portis won't be the first nor will he be the play to sue. As 4,5K players are suing as he is one of them.
__________________
NFL Training Camp 2014!
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #50
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,381
I hope this link works. Interesting read: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,1866164.story
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #51
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I hope this link works. Interesting read: The truth about football - latimes.com
One of the comments from that article is pretty funny.

Extreme Sports (BMX, Motocross, Skateboarding), X-Games, Jackass/Ridiculousness MTV kind of stunts kids do today for the hopes of fame and popularity....

I think I rather have my son play football...


I have to admit, I agree with whoever this was that made the comment.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #52
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
1) It gets old 2) it gets boring 3) it is BS .

Your definition of rage and mine are very different .

Blaming Goodell for everything wrong ....and yes SOME people here do , is lazy and just BS.
It happens, you arent changing anyones mind. Debate someone on the merits of Goodell if you want. He has done some good and some bad, but that just matches pretty much anyone else running a large operation. Its not just here that you will find people moaning about Goodell.

As for 'rage mode' being said on the internet. That doesnt mean you are punching holes in your walls or wanting to beat up a neighbor. Its an expression to mean someone getting pissed off/angry. And your posts pertaining to Goodell come across as exactly that. Give your reasonings for your opinion and move on.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #53
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,361
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Well, yes and no.

They care about keeping their star players healthy, which in turn generates revenue.
I always think of a player, front office/ownership relationship like a casual relationship. They use each other until one party can no longer help the other, then the relationship terminates.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #54
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,496
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Ok JR question , don't some states I think Florida is one that takes into account the fact of the person...ie ...victim help contribute to his injuries/ condition himself by being a willing and "paid" participant?
All states have that ... it's called assumption of the risk. See my earlier posts on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Also you say "wrongly" ,how is this person wrong if they openly volunteered and where willing to inflict the same damage on others as was done to himself?
It is "wrong" if they didn't assume the risk of injury that they suffered [or thought they were causing]. i.e. long term brain injury which only manifested itself several years after retiring. See my earlier posts.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #55
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,988
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
All states have that ... it's called assumption of the risk. See my earlier posts on the issue.



It is "wrong" if they didn't assume the risk of injury that they suffered [or thought they were causing]. i.e. long term brain injury which only manifested itself several years after retiring. See my earlier posts.

Thanks
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #56
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,988
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Give your reasonings for your opinion and move on.

I did, it's the people that blame Goodell all the time for everything from concussions to the Kennedy assignation that need to explain exactly how the Commissioner does the things he is accused of.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #57
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

it's like people thinking smoking wasn't bad for them. i dunno, i do think the NFL should be 100% upfront with anything it knows and the results of it's studies for the new guys coming in, but i'm still surprised current/recently retired players weren't 100% aware getting gang tackled 100 times a day wasn't good for your long term health.


i understand the older guys argument a bit more since some of them didn't make enough money to cover the associated medical problems, but for a guy that made 20+mill... come on.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #58
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 667
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I did, it's the people that blame Goodell all the time for everything from concussions to the Kennedy assignation that need to explain exactly how the Commissioner does the things he is accused of.
Its hard to take you seriously when you are claiming that some are blaming Goodell for Kennedy being 'assignated'.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #59
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,988
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Its hard to take you seriously when you are claiming that some are blaming Goodell for Kennedy being 'assignated'.
Sorry ,assassination, mistakes happen.



p.s. ....must have been my blind computer rage .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #60
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,989
Re: Clinton Portis sues NFL over concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
it's like people thinking smoking wasn't bad for them. i dunno, i do think the NFL should be 100% upfront with anything it knows and the results of it's studies for the new guys coming in, but i'm still surprised current/recently retired players weren't 100% aware getting gang tackled 100 times a day wasn't good for your long term health.


i understand the older guys argument a bit more since some of them didn't make enough money to cover the associated medical problems, but for a guy that made 20+mill... come on.
Like what kind of ****in' Asshole does NOT know that smoking was bad? Let's see, I cough all the time.....hockin' up loogies the size of Rhode Island.....I have no wind....
Oh well, probably not the "Luckies" right?
I realize Clinton acts like he attended the Earl Campbell academy of public speaking...but come on.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30038 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25