Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 715
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I'm happy for the players and their family's but again I find it tough because there isn't any proof ...none the NFL did anything wrong . How do you prove the trouble was caused by playing in the NFL , why not college or high school, maybe it happen when the guy was younger and was goofing around nobody will ever know .
I have always thought that the NFL should take better care of their retires ,if not for them there would be no game ,period . Still these were grown adult men playing a game they loved because many did it almost for free .They knew they could get hurt , they knew they could die and not only that but it was their job to inflict the same punishment on to others even at the cost of their own body's , say what you want but they the players contributed to their own situation and should be just as responsible .
The NFL's liability comes in from if they knew about the long term damage and still were telling the team doctors to clear the players regardless. The NFL clearly wanted to keep what they knew silent. The NCAA could probably be held liable as well since its now a huge money maker. High School doesnt generate the funds to do research on concussions. So no way they are going to be apart of it.

The question isnt whether anyone knew you could get hurt playing football. Everyone knew that. The question is what did the people making large sums of money off of the sport while sitting on the sidelines know and did they hide what they knew from the players.

Now that those questions are being answered, people are retiring earlier if they get concussions. If the owners held back info so the players could make that decision on their own, the owners are liable, plain and simple.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

you shouldn't be happy for the players, they're walking out with less than $120k each. If you're seriously messed up, your medical bills will eat through that pretty quick.

better than nothing i guess. the only real winners in class action suits tend to be the lawyers.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,543
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

So does the punter Jim Arnold, who I believe is on the lawsuit....does he get any money? Because if he does he should be ashamed of himself.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,849
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I'm happy for the players and their family's but again I find it tough because there isn't any proof ...none the NFL did anything wrong . How do you prove the trouble was caused by playing in the NFL , why not college or high school, maybe it happen when the guy was younger and was goofing around nobody will ever know .
I have always thought that the NFL should take better care of their retires ,if not for them there would be no game ,period . Still these were grown adult men playing a game they loved because many did it almost for free .They knew they could get hurt , they knew they could die and not only that but it was their job to inflict the same punishment on to others even at the cost of their own body's , say what you want but they the players contributed to their own situation and should be just as responsible .
Do we have a huge number of people that played high school/college football have the type of issues that guys who've played professional football a good majority of their lives? The speed of the games isn't even comparable. Nothing in college can remotely compare to the NFL (not even the SEC) when it comes to size/speed. Those two elements play a huge part in the grand scheme of things. Furthermore, there are less games in a college season than pros. Also, most guys who play college football generally stop after 4 years. Well, if they were to play 15 years after the fact, maybe we would be having this discussion in regards to college football.

You make is sound as if it's just one instance that causes this lasting brain damage. It's nothing you can pinpoint to a single point and time, just the general area where most of the violent collisions occurred.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,141
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

[quote=NC_Skins;1021252]Do we have a huge number of people that played high school/college football have the type of issues that guys who've played professional football a good majority of their lives? The speed of the games isn't even comparable. Nothing in college can remotely compare to the NFL (not even the SEC) when it comes to size/speed. Those two elements play a huge part in the grand scheme of things. Furthermore, there are less games in a college season than pros. Also, most guys who play college football generally stop after 4 years. Well, if they were to play 15 years after the fact, maybe we would be having this discussion in regards to college football.

You make is sound as if it's just one instance that causes this lasting brain damage. It's nothing you can pinpoint to a single point and time, just the general area where most of the violent collisions occurred.


Ok ,I'm sure I'll miss something here but I'll try.
1) Do we know if high school or college caused this ,a concussion is a concussion and no I'm not being blah about this ,my point is there is no difference from 4 or 5 in high school or college and for you to say that college or high school games can't give you those same injuries as playing in the pros you would be wrong .Huge numbers ? I don't know , were high school or college players allowed into the suit ?
2)Playing Pro football a good majority of their lives is what , 5 ,7, 10 , 15 years l would have to see what the average career was of the players in the suit ?
3) So you think the number of games is the problem or at least some of it ,well how about this ... start in pee wee , age 7 ,play through jr high or pop warner till Freshman year (what's that 14 /15) play through your senor year that's 18 , now if you are good enough you go and play in college, any college USA all 4 years what is that 20/21 ?You have been playing this sport for 14 years and this includes practices ,and yes you can get the concussions from your own teammates in practice .
4) You said,"You make is sound as if it's just one instance that causes this lasting brain damage. It's nothing you can pinpoint to a single point and time, just the general area where most of the violent collisions occurred."

Now you are assuming, I never said on instance ,never hinted at it .I will tell you what though I have seen one hit , one what seem very ordinary hit make a teammate never the same but he was the lucky one ,he lived it was another teammate that died in the game that day.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,141
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
The NFL's liability comes in from if they knew about the long term damage and still were telling the team doctors to clear the players regardless. The NFL clearly wanted to keep what they knew silent. .

I disagree ,my opinion the NFL didn't know because they never tried to find out and that is what they are protecting, they (the NFL) used these guys as meat and that was all which is actually worse IMO .Players were telling people they were ok ,Huff , Butkis ,Harry Carson , again there wasn't much known at the time about concussions except you could get hurt . RGII told the coach's he was fine when clearly he wasn't ,who is to blame ,RGIII, Andrews, Shannahan ....or the NFL ?



Goodell , people blame him for everything.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 715
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I disagree ,my opinion the NFL didn't know because they never tried to find out and that is what they are protecting, they (the NFL) used these guys as meat and that was all which is actually worse IMO .Players were telling people they were ok ,Huff , Butkis ,Harry Carson , again there wasn't much known at the time about concussions except you could get hurt . RGII told the coach's he was fine when clearly he wasn't ,who is to blame ,RGIII, Andrews, Shannahan ....or the NFL ?



Goodell , people blame him for everything.
Here you go again with your mind numbing butt kissery of Goodell. This isnt about Goodell. This is mostly about what happened under Tagliabue. The NFL has been around since before Goodell. You do realize that dont you? Relax Francis, the entire world isnt against the man who you love and adore and feel the need to protect at all costs.

PS... The NFL had commissioned studies on head injuries long ago. And the results have never been made public. Which is fine, but they should of still shared that info with the players and the NFLPA.

Last edited by Skinzman; 08-29-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #23
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,141
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Here you go again with your mind numbing butt kissery of Goodell. This isnt about Goodell. This is mostly about what happened under Tagliabue. The NFL has been around since before Goodell. You do realize that dont you? Relax Francis, the entire world isnt against the man who you love and adore and feel the need to protect at all costs.

PS... The NFL had commissioned studies on head injuries long ago. And the results have never been made public. Which is fine, but they should of still shared that info with the players and the NFLPA.
Pete Rozelle ever hear of him jr ?I'm not the one crying about a conspiracy(it was sarcasm) .Point is the NFL has never taken care of it's own like they should and I have always said that so yes I'm happy for the settlement but it's like a race car driver saying he never knew he could get hurt in a crash at 120 miles an hour ,you wanna say wtf ?


Why not have some blame for this guy ?
ESPN Classic - Rozelle made NFL what it is today
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #24
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 715
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Pete Rozelle ever hear of him jr ?I'm not the one crying about a conspiracy(it was sarcasm) .Point is the NFL has never taken care of it's own like they should and I have always said that so yes I'm happy for the settlement but it's like a race car driver saying he never knew he could get hurt in a crash at 120 miles an hour ,you wanna say wtf ?


Why not have some blame for this guy ?
ESPN Classic - Rozelle made NFL what it is today
There is definitely some blame for Rozelle. But there wasnt as much medical info under him. But sure, I put some on him also. I put some on the owners as well. Its not even just the Commissioners office. For that Matter, I put some on Snyder. Its not just your hero that is getting blame here. Quit acting like it is. Goodell was the residing commissioner during the settlement, I actually give him some credit on this.

But stop saying everyone is blaming Goodell when someone says something that isnt flattering to the NFL, especially when a lot of the ones suing were retired before he ever became commissioner. Its just an old, tired, and lazy response from you.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
Camp Scrub
 
SupaDANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Should Gus Ferotte get some money for a self inflicted injury??
SupaDANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
CrustyRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RatherbeinDC, TX
Posts: 2,597
Re: Concussion Lawsuit Settlement

Wonder if PO can get in on the action???
Y! SPORTS
__________________
Lafayette, we're here.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.43603 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25