Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Lions postgame

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: At 0-3 the Redskins season is...
Over, get ready for the draft 13 12.75%
Just beginning, remember last year? 20 19.61%
Not over, but .500 is the ceiling 32 31.37%
Too early to tell either way 37 36.27%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #376
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,919
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Well the problem with that is if an offensive player slides forward to get more yards should a defender be penalized for hitting them as they are going forward?

For example, if the first down was a yard a way and the QB was trying to dive for the first down and a defender was standing right there how would the defender know if the QB is giving himself up or not.
The way the rule is now if you go head first you can be hit. That's the way it should be. Either way I just don't agree with the ground causing a fumble period.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #377
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,616
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
People keep mentioning the cap as an excuse. Who's to say that the player/players we bring in here can perform? We have free agents right now that aren't performing. How's Cofield and Bowen performing? What about Josh Wilson? I really hope we add a couple pieces but I really don't want to see the 2000 Redskins ever again. Oh.. how's Mike Wallace working out for Miami? Or Mario Williams for Buffalo? If any fan base should know that free agency is not the way to improve a team it's us.
On the other hand, how's Peyton Manning fairing? Wes Welker? Reggie Bush? (Before his minor injury) I hear Ahmad Bradshaw had a pretty good game with Indy yesterday. The difference between what you're saying and what others are saying is that the cap penalty kept the 'skins from not only acquiring upgrades where the team needs obvious upgrades, but to have the money to take the cap hit on the players that aren't really working out for the team, but are forced to play since the 'skins had no other options. It isn't about having millions of dollars to sign big name over the hill stars to multi-year multi-million dollar contracts.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #378
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,616
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The way the rule is now if you go head first you can be hit. That's the way it should be. Either way I just don't agree with the ground causing a fumble period.
I don't really disagree with the fumble call yesterday - I felt it was a fumble right away. However, I DO think they need to address this rule and make it absolutely clear as to when the ground can cause a fumble and when it can't. I know at one point, the ground could absolutely not cause a fumble, and somewhere down the line that kind of changed. However, I don't think a player diving forward should ever be considered giving himself up. That would open up a huge can of worms.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #379
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,752
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I am getting a tat later to remember my aunt who died from breast cancer eariler this year. Might as well go ahead and turn myself in now.
We got a girl in my office that swears if you live in a townhouse or a gasp apartment you must be a criminal.

Some peoples minds just as small as a peanut.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #380
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,859
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I don't really disagree with the fumble call yesterday - I felt it was a fumble right away. However, I DO think they need to address this rule and make it absolutely clear as to when the ground can cause a fumble and when it can't. I know at one point, the ground could absolutely not cause a fumble, and somewhere down the line that kind of changed. However, I don't think a player diving forward should ever be considered giving himself up. That would open up a huge can of worms.
In the 45 years that I have played/followed football, it has always been true that if you were not down by contact, the ground could cause a fumble. It's all about whether someone is down by contact or not.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #381
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,919
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I knew the minute the ball came out it was a fumble. Its all on him to know the rules and not blame it on being a stupid rule for not knowing. With us wanting to portect him more and him knowing he needs to slide more he should have known the rule. Maybe take the time to read sliding rules while your between interviews.
Relax, he knows the rule, he just doesn't agree with it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #382
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,359
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Chris Rainey works out for the Chiefs, runs in the low 4.3s | ProFootballTalk

Can we please sign him on the cheap. He can help our KR game and change of pace!
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #383
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,908
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The way the rule is now if you go head first you can be hit. That's the way it should be. Either way I just don't agree with the ground causing a fumble period.
He wasn't down by contact. He was sliding head first. If someone had touched him on the way down, no fumble. Lets just say for example he slid head first, and no one touched him and got up and starting running again. Should that have been ruled a touchdown? I would say yes.

He never gave himself up.
He was never ruled down by contact.

I obviously did not have a problem with that ruling because I could have seen that as a bigger problem if they had not ruled it a fumble and ruled him down.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #384
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,919
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
He wasn't down by contact. He was sliding head first. If someone had touched him on the way down, no fumble. Lets just say for example he slid head first, and no one touched him and got up and starting running again. Should that have been ruled a touchdown? I would say yes.

He never gave himself up.
He was never ruled down by contact.

I obviously did not have a problem with that ruling because I could have seen that as a bigger problem if they had not ruled it a fumble and ruled him down.
I understand all that and the call was clearly the right one based on the rule.

I just don't like the rule.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #385
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,186
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Griff has done a fantastic jon of getting out of bounds or down
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #386
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,693
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
On the other hand, how's Peyton Manning fairing? Wes Welker? Reggie Bush? (Before his minor injury) I hear Ahmad Bradshaw had a pretty good game with Indy yesterday. The difference between what you're saying and what others are saying is that the cap penalty kept the 'skins from not only acquiring upgrades where the team needs obvious upgrades, but to have the money to take the cap hit on the players that aren't really working out for the team, but are forced to play since the 'skins had no other options. It isn't about having millions of dollars to sign big name over the hill stars to multi-year multi-million dollar contracts.
Well bringing in a Peyton Manning and having him throw to Welker is not a good example to use. My point was this, the bad has outweighed the good when it's come to free agency. Especially around here. Would you agree with that? We need to sign some guys, I just don't want to see what we saw in 2000 just cause we have cap space.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #387
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,345
Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The offense shot themselves in the foot a couple of times but the defense has been historically bad.

Given how bad the D has been it's going to be awfully hard for the offense make up for that no matter how well they play.
Seems to me they feed off each other. D had some crucial stops in big moments yesterday when the offense was clicking. If the offense faltered the d followed suit though.
I feel like if we could ever play with a lead in the second half that our d would be ok.
Edit: i guess what im saying is our d is bad and the pressure they are always under to keep us in the game because our offense isnt pulling their weight isnt helping
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #388
The Starter
 
scowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: KY
Age: 45
Posts: 1,526
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
In the 45 years that I have played/followed football, it has always been true that if you were not down by contact, the ground could cause a fumble. It's all about whether someone is down by contact or not.

Its always been really simple to me. In the NFL you have to be touched to be down, so if you are in the process of getting tackled and le'ts say your elbow carrying the ball hits the ground causing you to fumble, then the ground caused it. If you slide, you are obviously giving yourself up. If you are diving forward like RG3 did, you are reaching for yardage, then anything can happen and Robert was not touched diving, so he could have rolled futher down the field or anything until he gets actually touched.

Bottom line, the Redskins this year have had huge mental mistakes on the rules. Skip practice one day and study the rules. Niles Paul now plays special teams and only specail teams, but yet he jumped for an onside kick, well before the 10 yards and caught it. If you play special teams, that should be the first rule you learn after, don't block in the back (which they seem to do on every kickoff or punt BTW).

Come guys, you make too much money to make simple mental rules mistakes, all the time.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #389
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,616
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Well bringing in a Peyton Manning and having him throw to Welker is not a good example to use. My point was this, the bad has outweighed the good when it's come to free agency. Especially around here. Would you agree with that? We need to sign some guys, I just don't want to see what we saw in 2000 just cause we have cap space.
Um, yes, it's a very good example to use, lol!

Let me repeat. The cap penalty did more than just handicap the 'skins ability to sign free agents. It prevented the 'skins from being able to dump players that would have cost the team a certain amount of cap hit to dump. Instead, the team has to keep those players and play them. So, the hope is, the players will learn through continuity and improve on their play - how's that working out so far?
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #390
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Redskins Lions postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I don't really disagree with the fumble call yesterday - I felt it was a fumble right away. However, I DO think they need to address this rule and make it absolutely clear as to when the ground can cause a fumble and when it can't. I know at one point, the ground could absolutely not cause a fumble, and somewhere down the line that kind of changed. However, I don't think a player diving forward should ever be considered giving himself up. That would open up a huge can of worms.
The rule has not changed if your getting tackled or sliding feet first your considered down when you hit the ground. There is no grey area. RGIII went down head first and by the rule could have gotten back up and run the ball if not touched. No one would even make this an issue if it was a running back who tripped and when hitting the groung fumbled the ball.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.99415 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25