Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Around the NFL Week 5

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #391
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
What's happened to Atlanta??
I think matty ice is overrated. I dont think he is a great qb.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is online now  

Advertisements
Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #392
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,963
Re: Around the NFL Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I've hated Berman for his annoyance. The whole "Backbackbackbackback" that you hear during the MLB homerun derby, to the whole "WHHHOOOOP!" sound he does when a guy does a nice spin or juke. Or the stupid nicknames he has for players. Jake "Delight come and they wanna" Delhomme.


Plus he's an asshole off camera
Actually no he's not. For the record, I can't stand him on the air. His on-air act is tired, and was always tough to take when not in small doses. That said, what he did to grow ESPN (and sports media in general) is beyond compare. People talk about putting the work in, he really did. And he's actually quite a strong mentor off camera. I didn't ever have to directly experience it because we were in different fields so his influence and counseling for me was not like it was for his fellow on-air talent.

It's unfortunate that YouTube video has given people the impression that he's an asshole off camera, because it couldn't be further from the truth. The guys who are really assholes off camera are probably not the ones you think.

I thank Berman for everything he's done for the industry I work in, but also think it's time for him to pass the torch. Not an easy thing to do however.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #393
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I think matty ice is overrated. I dont think he is a great qb.
I've always agreed with that. He's a good QB but not great like flacco
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #394
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,345
Jets d is for real
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #395
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,345
Gruden just said "Id be shocked if they run here " after they run for a touchdown he says "I love it " wow
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #396
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,603
Around the NFL Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Actually no he's not. For the record, I can't stand him on the air. His on-air act is tired, and was always tough to take when not in small doses. That said, what he did to grow ESPN (and sports media in general) is beyond compare. People talk about putting the work in, he really did. And he's actually quite a strong mentor off camera. I didn't ever have to directly experience it because we were in different fields so his influence and counseling for me was not like it was for his fellow on-air talent.

It's unfortunate that YouTube video has given people the impression that he's an asshole off camera, because it couldn't be further from the truth. The guys who are really assholes off camera are probably not the ones you think.

I thank Berman for everything he's done for the industry I work in, but also think it's time for him to pass the torch. Not an easy thing to do however.
In the grand scheme of things, and people im sure he is one of the "good guys". Everyone has bad days or moments, but that video was rough man. Glad to hear he is not that way day in and day out.
I do have to say that i think he was in the rite place at the rite time. I mean - he landed the job and lord knows he knows more about the sports media world than i do, so kudos. His effort and love for what he does - second to none I am sure. However i feel like espn made him a legend and not the other way around. Not even close the other way around.
Edit: if Kenny Mayne is an asshole off camera i dont ever want to know. Love the guy.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is online now  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #397
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I've always agreed with that. He's a good QB but not great like flacco
By Flacco you meant Breeze or Rodgers, or Manning, or Brady rite?
I seem to remember sharing the "not great" opinion of Flacco with you in some other thread and am hoping my sarcasm detector is not working?
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is online now  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #398
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,345
Lmao yes I was joking.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #399
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,963
Re: Around the NFL Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
In the grand scheme of things, and people im sure he is one of the "good guys". Everyone has bad days or moments, but that video was rough man. Glad to hear he is not that way day in and day out.
I do have to say that i think he was in the rite place at the rite time. I mean - he landed the job and lord knows he knows more about the sports media world than i do, so kudos. His effort and love for what he does - second to none I am sure. However i feel like espn made him a legend and not the other way around. Not even close the other way around.
You couldn't be more wrong. With all due respect. I mean I wasn't born in Bristol, but I do know a thing or two about how it evolved and the people who made it happen. Berman was doing the work of what about 20 people do now, back when ESPN was on trailers surrounded by swamps.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #400
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Around the NFL Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
What's happened to Atlanta??
Missing good players on defense. But I don't think Smith is a great coach/leader either and don't see him ever taking a team to the SB, let alone winning one.
The Goat is offline  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #401
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,013
Re: Around the NFL Week 5

SS is right. Berman was at ESPN when no one had ever heard of the network. He was there when ESPN showed a lot of Aussie rules football because the major networks had a lock on the big time American sporting events.

I still miss the Aussie rules football coverage, 30 years later.

Berman's old-school colleague Gayle Gardner was also a pioneer, paving the way for today's female sportscasters. And she was hot.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 10-07-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Lotus is offline  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #402
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,603
Around the NFL Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. With all due respect. I mean I wasn't born in Bristol, but I do know a thing or two about how it evolved and the people who made it happen. Berman was doing the work of what about 20 people do now, back when ESPN was on trailers surrounded by swamps.
I said his effort and love for what he does are second to none. However our sports crazy nation needed an espn. The George Michael sports machine, as much as i loved it, wasnt enough to feed our sports crazed brains. I also gave him credit for landing the job in the first place.
Im just saying that Espn and the need for and timing of it all blew the hell up and took Berman with it. Not the other way around.
Edit: again not taking anything away from the blood sweat and tears he put into it.
He was in the rite place at the rite time. The nation was ripe for a sports only network. And good for him. Im sure he worked his ass off to help get it off the ground. Not saying he didnt.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.

Last edited by punch it in; 10-07-2013 at 11:54 PM.
punch it in is online now  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #403
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Around the NFL Week 5

I remember Aussie rules on espn, but would argue it was already a totally established brand even 20 or 30 years ago. Shoot I watched sportscenter with buddies every day after high school.
The Goat is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #404
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,603
Man Mike Smith looks worried as hell about losing this game. As well he should.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is online now  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #405
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Around the NFL Week 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Actually no he's not. For the record, I can't stand him on the air. His on-air act is tired, and was always tough to take when not in small doses. That said, what he did to grow ESPN (and sports media in general) is beyond compare. People talk about putting the work in, he really did. And he's actually quite a strong mentor off camera. I didn't ever have to directly experience it because we were in different fields so his influence and counseling for me was not like it was for his fellow on-air talent.

It's unfortunate that YouTube video has given people the impression that he's an asshole off camera, because it couldn't be further from the truth. The guys who are really assholes off camera are probably not the ones you think.

I thank Berman for everything he's done for the industry I work in, but also think it's time for him to pass the torch. Not an easy thing to do however.
I mean what people have said on here already is pretty much in line with what I agree with.

You say that he's not an asshole, but the videos that were released of Berman looked like they were from multiple days. It didn't look like he was having one bad day, and was being an a-hole, but that rather he might be a daily a-hole.

Sure, some of these guys on camera are a-holes off camera. Whether Berman is or isn't an a-hole isn't the full reason I hate the guy, its just a portion of the reason. His annoyance, which you agree with, is about 90% of the reason why I don't like him. Sure he helped build up ESPN, but that doesn't mean you work there until you die, there comes a when you step down. Bermans time came about 7 years ago. And the fact I see him in commercials now, doesn't help with the whole annoyance thing.
CultBrennan59 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29376 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25