Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should the Redskins consider extending Mike Shanahan's contract?
Yes 24 28.92%
No 26 31.33%
Let's see how the rest of the season plays out 33 39.76%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #706
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
After today I'm pretty much done.. I held the flag, was saying stay the course, do the extensin and maybe it's the rum talking but I'm over this team and regime.

GM-Scott Pioli-The team he put together in KC is doing pretty good with a real coach.
HC-Lovie Smith-He wins, runs a disciplined team, players love him and love playing for him.
OC-Joe Philbin-Let him teach RG3 how to fully play the position as he did with Rodgers
DC-Raheem Morris-Relationships with Smith and the holdover players from the roster.

I don't think we're far away from the team we were last year and expected to be this year. With foundation players RG3, Morris, Young, Garcon, Reed and Williams the offense has significant piecess. On defense, it's Kerrigan, Amerson, maybe Rak, maybe Riley, maybe Cofield. Other than that, everyone can kick rocks.
(SIGH) I think I just threw up.

I'll go with your pick at GM or just keep Allen. However you HC idea makes me sick to my stomach. If he was any good as a HC he would still be a HC somewhere. The only good thing about him is that he's a disciplinarian. Woo Hoo. His teams usually suck though. Oh and your DC? please. No and Thank You for playing. Raheem can go also. Our back field sucks and that's his specialty.

My idea if they don't give this shin dig one more year with $36 mill at hand...

DC: Allen- he's done a fine job.
HC: Briles- reunite RG3 with his HC that made him a success.
DC: John Chavis – LSU, or Kirby Smart – Alabama.

Also heard a story about how the Eagles are running an old school style defense and how it's working. Maybe we should find someone in the similar mold if we don't want to go the college route.

Were we need to improve a million times over? Special Teams. I'm not sure of the answer here. Maybe the best college coach here as well I don't know.

P.S.- I'd let Briles pick whoever he wanted as OC since he would have to work with them closely.
SBXVII is offline  

Advertisements
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #707
Registered User
 
Sonny9TD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 399
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Baylor's head coach who just signed a 10 year extension. Heard it thru the grapevine. Dan Patrick loves grapes i also heard.
Sonny9TD is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #708
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Dungy already said he would've benched RG3 for Cousins.
I'll take Dungy or Gruden in a heartbeat but I wouldn't guess Dungy will come back. Thought he was happy analyzing.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #709
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't want any holdovers from this staff. Clean house. We need an experienced professional coach with NFL experience.
?LOL? and Shanahan is not?

I think we just need a HC who knows how to make adjustments during the game. That runs a system that works. I get so irritated at the minds set of "I'm going to run my scheme and if it works awesome if it doesn't... I was out coached."

MS makes his adjustments at halftime. Our DC has no idea what adjustment means. or so it seems.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #710
Registered User
 
Green Monk Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parkville
Posts: 464
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Last night during the bronco game, I think it was Collinsworth, said Andy Reid had been trying for years to gain the services of Bob sutton. Now that he is HC in KC, he finally landed him as his DC.

Why can't we ever be looking down the road?
So Shanny has been struggling for years to acquire Kyle, Haslett? He'll no.
We always have to macguyver a rag tag team of spare parts with whatever mercenaries are willing to come and collect a paycheck for a 2-3 year span.

Why do we need shanahan and his huge contract, if we have signed ajsmith?
Or is AJ here to train Allen or help us beat the chargers ONLY??

Clean house!!!
Let Smith run the scouting, Allen handle personnel , or by committe between them.
HC, OC, DC, ST????

I look at Denver and John fox being hospitalized. They have JDRio who looks like he graduated not only high school, but maybe college, and had a great nfl career and has had relative good success coaching.
Haslett on the other hand, looks like he has t eaten a meal in weeks, can't read or spell, lost his car keys, maybe hasnt been laid in years, has a housefull of cats. He's just a loser.
Ditch Raheem also, he doesn't run a 3-4. We should change back to 4-3, especially since our DL is shit and Fletcher needs to retire.

Damn this team needs to get back to redskins football
Green Monk Machine is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #711
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny9TD View Post
Baylor's head coach who just signed a 10 year extension. Heard it thru the grapevine. Dan Patrick loves grapes i also heard.
Your grape vine and mine:

Baylor could be bracing for a Redskins rush on Art Briles | ProFootballTalk

Absent a chance to scrutinize the new Briles contract, it may not matter. College coaches continue to leave for other colleges and NFL teams despite having long-term contracts in place. For now, the announcement of a new deal may be nothing more than a way to deal with questions Briles is getting from recruits about whether he’ll be leaving.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #712
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I can't imagine Snyder hiring a guy that doesn't even have a playbook and has 0 pro experience. We've been down this road before. Plus the conference he coaches in plays no defense. There's plenty of pro coaches that are qualified for this job. I wouldn't mind seeing Ken Wisenhunt come here.
How hard is it not to imagine Steve Spurrier?

I suppose, now, it's probably inevitable that the Redskins will be rolling with a new coaching staff next year. My only word of caution on that is the "anybody but Shanahan is better" approach is NOT the way to go. Because, just anybody isn't a better option than Mike Shanahan. No matter how this season ends (and it looks to end badly) I maintain my admiration for the good things/the right things that Mike Shanahan has done for this team. The bottom line is, I realize, wins and loses.

With that said, if what Smootsmack has said is what's happening in terms of the front office, then let the new GM pick the head coach and let that head coach pick his coordinators and assistant coaches. I don't personally have a favorite in terms of head coaching candidates, but I do have traits/personalities/work ethics that need to be a must if he is to succeed in Washington.

The new head coach is going to have to be a disciplinarian, first and foremost. It is not acceptable to bring in a "bright offensive mind" that has no idea how to establish discipline. I'd argue that it's pretty easy to find a bright offensive mind - but none of it works without discipline.

Secondly, the coach needs to have a work ethic that is common to what we saw when Joe Gibbs coached this team in the 80's. Someone who's willing to live, eat, and breathe Redskins football. Someone who is willing to put in the hours it takes to make this team a winner. If he's not willing to stay (and live) at Redskins Park until the wee hours of the morning, I don't want him in Washington.

Lastly, the coach needs to have an eye of talent. It's not always the GM (alone) that brings in the players - the coaches have say as well. This new coach will need to work closely with the GM to bring in exactly what he needs. It can't simply be "we bring in the players, you coach them" approach. That doesn't work.

The next six weeks will be interesting.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #713
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,811
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
(SIGH) I think I just threw up.

I'll go with your pick at GM or just keep Allen. However you HC idea makes me sick to my stomach. If he was any good as a HC he would still be a HC somewhere. The only good thing about him is that he's a disciplinarian. Woo Hoo. His teams usually suck though. Oh and your DC? please. No and Thank You for playing. Raheem can go also. Our back field sucks and that's his specialty.

My idea if they don't give this shin dig one more year with $36 mill at hand...

DC: Allen- he's done a fine job.
HC: Briles- reunite RG3 with his HC that made him a success.
DC: John Chavis – LSU, or Kirby Smart – Alabama.

Also heard a story about how the Eagles are running an old school style defense and how it's working. Maybe we should find someone in the similar mold if we don't want to go the college route.

Were we need to improve a million times over? Special Teams. I'm not sure of the answer here. Maybe the best college coach here as well I don't know.

P.S.- I'd let Briles pick whoever he wanted as OC since he would have to work with them closely.
I can't believe anyone here is on board with Briles. The guy doesn't even carry a freakin' playbook. What kind of halftime adjustments is he going to make? This isn't Baylor vs. Texas Tech. Throwing 15 wr screens a game doesn't work here. As sophisticated at the NFL game has become, we can't afford to hire a guy like this. On top of that, RG3's mechanics are downright awful, ....Briles coached this guy...right?
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #714
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,811
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
How hard is it not to imagine Steve Spurrier?

I suppose, now, it's probably inevitable that the Redskins will be rolling with a new coaching staff next year. My only word of caution on that is the "anybody but Shanahan is better" approach is NOT the way to go. Because, just anybody isn't a better option than Mike Shanahan. No matter how this season ends (and it looks to end badly) I maintain my admiration for the good things/the right things that Mike Shanahan has done for this team. The bottom line is, I realize, wins and loses.

With that said, if what Smootsmack has said is what's happening in terms of the front office, then let the new GM pick the head coach and let that head coach pick his coordinators and assistant coaches. I don't personally have a favorite in terms of head coaching candidates, but I do have traits/personalities/work ethics that need to be a must if he is to succeed in Washington.

The new head coach is going to have to be a disciplinarian, first and foremost. It is not acceptable to bring in a "bright offensive mind" that has no idea how to establish discipline. I'd argue that it's pretty easy to find a bright offensive mind - but none of it works without discipline.

Secondly, the coach needs to have a work ethic that is common to what we saw when Joe Gibbs coached this team in the 80's. Someone who's willing to live, eat, and breathe Redskins football. Someone who is willing to put in the hours it takes to make this team a winner. If he's not willing to stay (and live) at Redskins Park until the wee hours of the morning, I don't want him in Washington.

Lastly, the coach needs to have an eye of talent. It's not always the GM (alone) that brings in the players - the coaches have say as well. This new coach will need to work closely with the GM to bring in exactly what he needs. It can't simply be "we bring in the players, you coach them" approach. That doesn't work.

The next six weeks will be interesting.
The "sleeping in the office" is a bunch of BS. That doesn't win football games. Players making plays does.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #715
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,957
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I can't believe anyone here is on board with Briles. The guy doesn't even carry a freakin' playbook. What kind of halftime adjustments is he going to make? This isn't Baylor vs. Texas Tech. Throwing 15 wr screens a game doesn't work here. As sophisticated at the NFL game has become, we can't afford to hire a guy like this. On top of that, RG3's mechanics are downright awful, ....Briles coached this guy...right?
I don't entertain the Briles conversation with any level of seriousness. He's not an NFL coach. In addition to the reasons you listed, he's never given any indication he's remotely interested in the NFL either. If we hired Briles, the Spurrier and Zorn hires would look brilliant in comparison.

I'm pretty sure our next coach (although not 100% convinced he will be on our sidelines in 2014, Shanahan may lame duck it) will be an NFL coach with prior head coaching experience or extensive experience as a defensive coordinator.

Offensive head coaches usually want 'their' QB and 'their' system but a defensive head coach can bring someone in that suits the pieces we have in place and build the system around them.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #716
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I can't believe anyone here is on board with Briles. The guy doesn't even carry a freakin' playbook. What kind of halftime adjustments is he going to make? This isn't Baylor vs. Texas Tech. Throwing 15 wr screens a game doesn't work here. As sophisticated at the NFL game has become, we can't afford to hire a guy like this. On top of that, RG3's mechanics are downright awful, ....Briles coached this guy...right?
I still can't believe someone has made it to the college ranks of coaching with out a playbook. Which to me says if true?... he's a genius.

On a side note...anyone see the old school hand signs being given to the Eagles offense from the sideline? or the Pictionary being given to the defense.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #717
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I don't entertain the Briles conversation with any level of seriousness. He's not an NFL coach. In addition to the reasons you listed, he's never given any indication he's remotely interested in the NFL either. If we hired Briles, the Spurrier and Zorn hires would look brilliant in comparison.

I'm pretty sure our next coach (although not 100% convinced he will be on our sidelines in 2014, Shanahan may lame duck it) will be an NFL coach with prior head coaching experience or extensive experience as a defensive coordinator.

Offensive head coaches usually want 'their' QB and 'their' system but a defensive head coach can bring someone in that suits the pieces we have in place and build the system around them.
I've seen it work the other way also. A DC brought in and he just picks someone whom he either likes or is the best candidate available and lets them run the other side of the ball.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #718
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,143
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I still can't believe someone has made it to the college ranks of coaching with out a playbook. Which to me says if true?... he's a genius.

On a side note...anyone see the old school hand signs being given to the Eagles offense from the sideline? or the Pictionary being given to the defense.
The Cheesesteak Defense was working well for Philly. I think we need to install some of that here
SouperMeister is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #719
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The "sleeping in the office" is a bunch of BS. That doesn't win football games. Players making plays does.
After my full post, the only thing you got was "sleeping in the office"? Really? That's the only thing you zeroed in on? LOL...geez.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #720
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,732
Re: Who's your pick's for next HC, DC and OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I still can't believe someone has made it to the college ranks of coaching with out a playbook. Which to me says if true?... he's a genius.

On a side note...anyone see the old school hand signs being given to the Eagles offense from the sideline? or the Pictionary being given to the defense.
He's not a genius, he's a college coach where the talent mis-matches are huge and coaching isnt all that important. Besides that, what has this guy won? Spurrier was a highly successful college coach who won championships is maybe the toughest college conference and he did that on talent mis-matches not coaching because when he was faced with equally talented opponents his coaching proved inept.
irish is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38123 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25