Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Skins Viks Postgame

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #211
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,004
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

[quote=calia;1040098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Thompson wasn't drafted to play teams though.

Danny Smith had kicks blocked too.

The coverage is what's really killed us, that's where Zo comes in. Plus the guy was a leader on the field. Losing him definitely had an impact.[/QUOTE]

I don't disgaree. But the loss of one player on D (a non-starting LB) when we were gaining back to starters in Orakpo and Merriweather shouldn't have resulted in the putrid excuse for a defense we now have. Bowen, Golston, and Jenkins are largely non-factors, and Cofield is a decent run stopper -- none gets within the same area code of opposing QBs. Now I realize a 3-4 is designed to get LBs to the QB, but our front three cannot collapse a pocket or even really push it back. I was watching some of the "highlights" (glutton for punishment), and Ponder and Cassel had all freaking day to throw; the opposite of RGIII's experience in the second half, and most of that pressure was up the middle (Montgomery and Lichtgensteiger have become liabilities).
I was talking about losing Zo hurting us on teams, not on D.

The D has it's own problems.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #212
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,848
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
This team is an $110 million operation by cap dollars. If you truly believe an additional $18 million makes this a playoff team, you may be a sucker.
18Million in cap dollars is easily 2-3 valuable starters, plus 1-2 role players. I don't think it's unfair to say that defensively that could be the difference between a 3rd and 18 completion, and a 3rd and 18 throwaway/sack.

Does the cap space alone make the difference, no, but it's easy to see how 2 of the "right" guys could fit into that space and make a difference. Heck the average spending for Offensive line positions for all the teams was $19,095,093(compiled from Overthecap.com's positional spending chart) so clearly 18Mil is a substantial amount when it comes to salary cap. Like wise the average spending for safeties and cb's was 18.135Mil. We spent 12Mil on safeties/cb's I would think a few upgrades were available if we had even 9mil extra.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #213
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,367
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Is turdble like terrible and turd?
exactly, i would like word to replace the word for "Redskins special teams"
__________________
Fire Haz, Hire Wade
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #214
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,848
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The special teams sucks because the Redskins don't value it when it comes time to evaluate players. Keith Burns isn't helping, but there's not enough that can be done in November to overcome the negligence this team shows towards special teams in March and April.
I really don't believe this. I would be interested in your proof, because I tend to think Shanahan has generally regarded ST as a proving ground and held it in high regard. On the flipside, I can't offer any proof, because I don't really know how you prove it. I do think ST coaching has been lacking though.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #215
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,914
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
18Million in cap dollars is easily 2-3 valuable starters, plus 1-2 role players. I don't think it's unfair to say that defensively that could be the difference between a 3rd and 18 completion, and a 3rd and 18 throwaway/sack.

Does the cap space alone make the difference, no, but it's easy to see how 2 of the "right" guys could fit into that space and make a difference. Heck the average spending for Offensive line positions for all the teams was $19,095,093(compiled from Overthecap.com's positional spending chart) so clearly 18Mil is a substantial amount when it comes to salary cap. Like wise the average spending for safeties and cb's was 18.135Mil. We spent 12Mil on safeties/cb's I would think a few upgrades were available if we had even 9mil extra.
What starters would the Redskins been able to acquire that would have made one of the worst defenses in the NFL that much better?

I don't think the 18 million dollar hit would have bought us that many wins. Look at the Miami Dolphins for example, they got Ellerbe, Wheeler, and Grimes this past offseason.

They went from the 21st ranked defense by yardage... to the 20th. They actually got worst in Points Allowed.

I do not think the 18 million dollar excuse is valid. There are already enough free agents on the Redskins, signing more players that other teams thought were replaceable wouldn't help.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #216
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,004
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

We're not just talking $18M but $36M over 2 years. That's a pretty significant handcuff.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #217
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,714
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
This team is an $110 million operation by cap dollars. If you truly believe an additional $18 million makes this a playoff team, you may be a sucker.
I agree and I'm tired of everyone saying..."oh well if we had cap dollars we'd be better!" ...that's a cop out excuse. This team has free agents that stink. Come March, Snyder will gas on the plane and everyone will be along for the ride. I hope we go out and get a couple guys, but I don't want to see the 2000 Redskins. I'd prefer that we draft more guys like Morris, Amerson and Reed.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #218
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,914
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
We're not just talking $18M but $36M over 2 years. That's a pretty significant handcuff.
Skins still made the playoffs last year even with the penalty.

I understand the impact of the penalty, I just do not think its an excuse for Skins not to be performing. Besides Alexander there was no significant player they could not resign, there was no combination of players in free agency that would have changed this 3-6 team into an actual respectable team.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #219
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
exactly, i would like word to replace the word for "Redskins special teams"
Consider it done.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #220
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,004
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Skins still made the playoffs last year even with the penalty.

I understand the impact of the penalty, I just do not think its an excuse for Skins not to be performing. Besides Alexander there was no significant player they could not resign, there was no combination of players in free agency that would have changed this 3-6 team into an actual respectable team.
I don't think it can be written off as a non-factor.

Take away $36M from any team and there's going to be ramifications.

No free agents could have helped this year? I really find that hard to believe.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #221
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,209
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

if we could have gotten just 1 more lineman (starter) and then a DB and LB in FA we would be better imo. O well is what it is, I just want to see Griff continue to get better and better
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #222
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,621
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't think it can be written off as a non-factor.

Take away $36M from any team and there's going to be ramifications.

No free agents could have helped this year? I really find that hard to believe.
Yeah, I don't see how that $36 million penalty is a non-factor. That's a bit of a stretch.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #223
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,914
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't think it can be written off as a non-factor.

Take away $36M from any team and there's going to be ramifications.

No free agents could have helped this year? I really find that hard to believe.
The Redskins already have a team pretty much built on free agency. I think not having two first round picks will have more of an impact than the cap penalty.

Free Agency to me will always be one of the most overrated aspects to building a successful NFL team. Teams tend to turn around quicker through the draft than free agency. Resigning players is by far the most important part of free agency.

Plus the concept of a Salary Cap is a joke but that is a topic for another day.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #224
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
The Redskins already have a team pretty much built on free agency. I think not having two first round picks will have more of an impact than the cap penalty.

Free Agency to me will always be one of the most overrated aspects to building a successful NFL team. Teams tend to turn around quicker through the draft than free agency. Resigning players is by far the most important part of free agency.

Plus the concept of a Salary Cap is a joke but that is a topic for another day.
I think we have a pretty large core group of players that were drafted on this team. The current state of the league pretty much makes it impossible to keep all your draftpicks year after year.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #225
Impact Rookie
 
calia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodside, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 737
Re: Skins Viks Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
The Redskins already have a team pretty much built on free agency. I think not having two first round picks will have more of an impact than the cap penalty.

Free Agency to me will always be one of the most overrated aspects to building a successful NFL team. Teams tend to turn around quicker through the draft than free agency. Resigning players is by far the most important part of free agency.

Plus the concept of a Salary Cap is a joke but that is a topic for another day.
I don't see it that way -- important contributors from the draft (or undrafted free agents) include: RGIII, Morris, Amerson, Kerrigan, Orakpo, Reed, Doughty, Montgomery, Williams, Forbath, Golston, Hankerson, Robinson, and probably a bunch of other guys that don't immediately come to mind. And a number of our relatively recent FA signings have been good: D. Hall, Cofield, Garcon, Chester. But our current roster is nothing like the FA hot mess that was the 2000 team. But I wouldn't say our team was built on free agency, and we have recent signings that show that you don't need a lot of money to get value if you're smart. There will be busts from time to time -- true of the draft and true of FAs -- and we have them as all teams do. But with the $36MM in the last two years, had wwe acquired some O line and D line help, or LB help -- even just one impact player in each area -- I imagine that we'd be noticeably better off.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 1.94752 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25