Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach
Mike Shanahan 39 32.23%
Jon Gruden 16 13.22%
Lovie Smith 6 4.96%
Darrell Bevell 5 4.13%
Jay Gruden 3 2.48%
Greg Roman 2 1.65%
Art Briles 13 10.74%
David Shaw 19 15.70%
Kevin Sumlin 5 4.13%
Other 13 10.74%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #256
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,910
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Now why would Shanahan not play his young players? Because he's desperate to keep his job?
Shanahan not willing to play young players for the sake of evaluation - The Washington Post
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is online now  

Advertisements
Old 12-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #257
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Well, obviously.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #258
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,234
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
The reason the salary cap issue isn't a big issue to me like it is for some is because he still got to go after players he wanted.

He signed Garcon, Morgan, Polumbus, Chester, Cofield, Bowen, Griffin, Meriweather, Jackson, M. Williams, traded for Brown, McNabb, and Hightower.

Those are the moves that stand out. That means to me he had plenty of money and opportunities to get free agents and change the roster. The roster looks very different than 4 years ago, just like Carroll's roster in Seattle. He was also able to sign depth which is actually the most important aspect of free agency to me.

Now if he had to stay with the same roster I would understand your point, but the fact that he was able to completely change it and do basically what he wanted and he still isn't providing results... I can't just say well the salary cap... Plus I'm sick of Redskins coaches coming in and spending money on free agents. Half those guys listed ended up being overpaid. The only true difference makers in free agency are quarterbacks, and if he had gotten Manning we would be having a different discussion. But lets stop acting like the salary cap is the reason Carroll succeeded and Shanahan did not. Both their rosters look completely different...one is just a super bowl favorite, the other is in contention for the first overall pick that the Rams will love.
Who on that list is overpaid? Cofield? Bowen? Garcon? Beyond those three the rest of the contracts we gave out where basically peanuts in terms of size. I think all three have played well. (especially garcon/cofield) Bottom line is, they don't have a defensive coordinator worth a shit. Yes, I realize this is on Mike, and I've stated as much. In fact, I think you need to review my posts in regards to Mike, and they'd silence you for the most part. Why? Because most of the points are exactly what you are saying. That doesn't make Mike a bad coach, it makes him a bad GM. I think Carroll has struck gold in the draft 2010 and 2011 on the defensive side of the ball. Notice none of his offensive picks have really done much of anything beyond Wilson. A good defense can carry you a long ways in this league.

Mike's unwillingness and stubbornness in changing coordinators will ultimately be his downfall. (this includes his son)


Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Part of being a good head coach is being able to put a staff together in my opinion. Run blocking the Skins are good, but Shanahan's system always has good run blocking, that is one positive I can always say about Mike. I watch the games and I do not believe the offensive line holds well at all in terms of pass protection.

I personally think it is hard for anyone to distinguish if a coach is being successful, or if its due to his staff. You could say that about almost any coach in the NFL, besides maybe Bill. They did just lose Bradley but their defense honestly looks even better.
No, they (OL) don't hold up when he has to drop back for any kind of duration. It's not all on the OL either, it's a indecisive QB who's learning his position as well. I think it's more on Kyle than Mike at this point, which is exactly why I want him to move on. He's not trying to use RGIII to his strengths, but rather force him into his offense
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is online now  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #259
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,817
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Bill O'Brien sure wouldn't be afraid of getting in the face of the franchise QB, no matter how popular he may be. I would love that attitude. But it always is risky going after coordinators of Bill.
I think O'Brien would be a great fit here as well. Would love to see that hire.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #260
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

keep both shanahans, for that would be the best thing for our young QB. haslet, and burns both must go. whatever they are doing obviously doesn't work
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #261
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

and with that^^^^ being said, i would grab rex ryan in a heartbeat, if available
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #262
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,610
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

After seeing the Seattle last night, maybe Darrell Bevell is the best option.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #263
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,666
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
and with that^^^^ being said, i would grab rex ryan in a heartbeat, if available
Yes! It will be extremely perplexing to me if Jim Haslett is not replaced next year.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #264
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,960
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Who on that list is overpaid? Cofield? Bowen? Garcon? Beyond those three the rest of the contracts we gave out where basically peanuts in terms of size. I think all three have played well. (especially garcon/cofield) Bottom line is, they don't have a defensive coordinator worth a shit. Yes, I realize this is on Mike, and I've stated as much. In fact, I think you need to review my posts in regards to Mike, and they'd silence you for the most part. Why? Because most of the points are exactly what you are saying. That doesn't make Mike a bad coach, it makes him a bad GM. I think Carroll has struck gold in the draft 2010 and 2011 on the defensive side of the ball. Notice none of his offensive picks have really done much of anything beyond Wilson. A good defense can carry you a long ways in this league.

Mike's unwillingness and stubbornness in changing coordinators will ultimately be his downfall. (this includes his son)




No, they (OL) don't hold up when he has to drop back for any kind of duration. It's not all on the OL either, it's a indecisive QB who's learning his position as well. I think it's more on Kyle than Mike at this point, which is exactly why I want him to move on. He's not trying to use RGIII to his strengths, but rather force him into his offense
I am putting out those players because I am making the point that he was still able to completely change the roster. Your version of overpaid and my version might be different but the point is he was still able to go after players.
From what I am reading it seems you are pinning the failure of Shanahan on his coordinators and his refusal to remove them. That is a hard distinction to make. If all three phases of a team is bad, how is the head coach not responsible? I could understand if the defense was bad but the offense was great... that is not the case. What does a head coach do if he is not responsible for any phase of the team? If the coordinators have that much control than Shanahan isn't the head coach, he just has the label.

Okung is rated by some as being as good as Trent Williams, he has been injured this year but he is a top 10 tackle in the NFL. Doug Baldwin was undrafted but he is one of the best number 2 receivers in the NFL. It is hard to compare the Skins and Seahawks because the Seahawks really only draft defensive players. Drafting isn't just luck, there is a reason great teams draft well, because they know what they want and they actually develop their players. Development is one of the most essential aspects in drafting. Again there is a reason that great teams seem to always steal players in the draft. Its not just that they strike gold.

Shanahan has drafted and developed two good offensive players, Morris and Williams, if he is an offensive genius, that is pathetic.

I agree that RG3 has been holding on to the ball too long and receivers aren't getting open, but like you said, that is on the Offensive staff (including Mike) for not developing RG3 and the offensive players.

I am not saying Carroll is the best coach in the NFL, nor is his legacy better than Shanahans... but if you compare the two when they took over their teams, Carroll has been the better coach in almost every aspect of coaching.
donofriose is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #265
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,551
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Am I a bad fan for hoping that my Skins lose out?

I'm so done with Mike Shanahan that I want these last games to be so horrible that there will be no chance that Dan Snyder would consider keeping him.

I DO NOT want Shanahan to direct the Redksins' efforts in Free Agency and the NFL Draft only to not have his contract renewed after next season.

I also want to put an end to the opportunities to cripple RGIII that Shanahan keeps giving his misguided son by letting him run 1950's Bud Wilkinson Oklahoma Triple Option plays.

I want Jon Gruden because I'm comfortable with the idea of his being able to be seamlessly integrated into a team of Bruce Allen, Morocco Brown, and Jon Gruden. I think that could help minimize start-up time on the rebuild.

I like Guden's previous experience as an NFL HC, his high energy level, his intensity, his style of offense, his in-game coaching ability, and I think he would do a better job of developing RGIII and Kirk Cousins.
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 12-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #266
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 28
Posts: 16,373
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Am I a bad fan for hoping that my Skins lose out?

I'm so done with Mike Shanahan that I want these last games to be so horrible that there will be no chance that Dan Snyder would consider keeping him.

I want Jon Gruden because I'm comfortable with the idea of his being able to be seamlessly integrated into a team of Bruce Allen, Morocco Brown, and Jon Gruden.

I like Guden's style of offense, his in-game coaching ability, and I think he would do a better job of developing RGIII and Kirk Cousins.

I agree about Gruden, I just want to beat DAL and NYG once
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #267
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,960
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Am I a bad fan for hoping that my Skins lose out?

I'm so done with Mike Shanahan that I want these last games to be so horrible that there will be no chance that Dan Snyder would consider keeping him.

I want Jon Gruden because I'm comfortable with the idea of his being able to be seamlessly integrated into a team of Bruce Allen, Morocco Brown, and Jon Gruden.

I like Guden's style of offense, his in-game coaching ability, and I think he would do a better job of developing RGIII and Kirk Cousins.
Who has he developed before? I am not really sold on Gruden for the Redskins. I could care less if the coach likes RG3 but I don't think Gruden is the guy to turn this team around.
donofriose is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #268
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,610
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Am I a bad fan for hoping that my Skins lose out?I'm so done with Mike Shanahan that I want these last games to be so horrible that there will be no chance that Dan Snyder would consider keeping him.

I want Jon Gruden because I'm comfortable with the idea of his being able to be seamlessly integrated into a team of Bruce Allen, Morocco Brown, and Jon Gruden.

I like Guden's style of offense, his in-game coaching ability, and I think he would do a better job of developing RGIII and Kirk Cousins.
You need to talk to Herm Edwards
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #269
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,960
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Yes! It will be extremely perplexing to me if Jim Haslett is not replaced next year.
I think at a minimum, this is a virtual guarantee.

If I look into my cloudy crystal ball, I see Snyder telling Shanahan that he won't fire him but he also won't give him an extension. Snyder will ask for Haslett and Burns to be replaced and for Mike to take over offensive play calling duties himself. Shanahan will resist but won't resign immediately. After a couple of days, they will negotiate a buyout of the final year of the contract and 'mutually part ways'.

Just listening to Schefter lately, who has stayed a Shanny confidant, he has said that 'both sides' need to evaluate what they want to do which is an indication to me that Shanahan isn't 100% committed to the Redskins going forward no matter what.

Around the league there don't appear to be too many coaches in trouble (Washington, Houston, Jets, Vikings, maybe Bucs) so it will be interesting to see the names that are bandied about among those openings. I'm of the opinion that Gruden, Dungy and Cowher are all off of the table for any opening.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #270
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,560
Re: Choose Your 2014 Redskins Head Coach

I don't see Shanahan resisting a new DC, since it wasn't his hire in the first place.

In the end I think the relationship with RG3 and MS is just too fractured to continue.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 1.64985 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25