Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #121
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,608
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
He hasn't earned one.
Two SB MVP's has earned him that long leash.
skinsfan69 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #122
Camp Scrub
 
Fiversons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 75
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

It's a moot point... He is being benched by a lame duck coach because he wants the owner to fire him so he can still collect 7 million dollars while sitting on the beach or so he can coach another team... This has nothing to do with his development, health or production... It's a big FUCK YOU from Shanny to Snyder...
Fiversons is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #123
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Dude cousins has looked bad also he has 4 tds and 5 ints and 2 fumbles in his career
I dont think Cousins is better than Griff, but its hard to come in cold all the time with no reps the week before and look good.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #124
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,330
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Yep.. sitting him out in pre season practices and all the pre season games was BS. As we see now, he needed the work. He wasn't good enough to walk out there and play, no 2nd year guy coming off a serious injury would be. The tides have turned now. He's been playing and practicing for 15 weeks or so? He's regressing on the field and making the same mistakes over and over again. He should be benched for his play AND to get him into the off season so he's 100% healthy. I have no issue with what MS is doing.
Contradiction noted.

Not sure how the tide has turned exactly. His knee has healed further and he needs playing time to continue to improve, just like any 2nd yr QB does. Should Carolina have sat Cam down last year when they were 3-9? Things like reading a D don't come with sitting.

If you're benching him for his play better sit down most of the team too. But as we know that's not going to happen, because this isn't about his knee or his play.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #125
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Two SB MVP's has earned him that long leash.
Orgs don't think like this. Manning's start streak means more to teams.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #126
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,887
How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Two SB MVP's has earned him that long leash.
I think Tripp was referring to Griff. Maybe im wrong.
Edit: based on Tripps last post i was wrong. Lol.
I have to disagree Eli has certainly earned a long leash. If u dont think those two superbowls have something to do with Eli not being benched you are wrong imo.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #127
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I think Tripp was referring to Griff. Maybe im wrong.
Edit: based on Tripps last post i was wrong. Lol.
I have to disagree Eli has certainly earned a long leash. If u dont think those two superbowls have something to do with Eli not being benched you are wrong imo.
Let me explain why the rings are irrelevant:

Eli Manning is the Giants starter next season, that's already decided. They aren't playing Nassib because the live rep evaluation doesn't help them. They get to evaluate him in a controlled practice environment already. The game reps put his film out for the rest of the league, which does not benefit the Giants. Eli is healthy and can play, therefore, he plays.

I think it's pretty clear that Griffin is the Redskins starter next season. If that isn't clear, it's not because he hasn't won a super bowl with Washington.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #128
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,887
How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Let me explain why the rings are irrelevant:

Eli Manning is the Giants starter next season, that's already decided. They aren't playing Nassib because the live rep evaluation doesn't help them. They get to evaluate him in a controlled practice environment already. The game reps put his film out for the rest of the league, which does not benefit the Giants. Eli is healthy and can play, therefore, he plays.

I think it's pretty clear that Griffin is the Redskins starter next season. If that isn't clear, it's not because he hasn't won a super bowl with Washington.
I thought you were saying Eli should be benched because he is having a poor season. Nevermind. I agree with what you are saying.
I will say that even if the Giants had a solid, game ready backup they would not bench Eli and it would have alot to do with his rings. But thats neither here nor there. I agree with your above assessment.
Edit: rings are never irrelevant - that statement i dont agree with.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #129
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,679
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Pissed. I'm 12-2 in my Fantasy League and RG3 is my starting QB. Lost Gronk, so I'm already cooked as it is.

As mediocre as RG3 has looked, he's been able to put up some pretty decent fantasy stats
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #130
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I thought you were saying Eli should be benched because he is having a poor season. Nevermind. I agree with what you are saying.
I will say that even if the Giants had a solid, game ready backup they would not bench Eli and it would have alot to do with his rings. But thats neither here nor there. I agree with your above assessment.
Edit: rings are never irrelevant - that statement i dont agree with.
I was just saying that benching Griffin for performance is defensible, but not if you don't also believe Eli should be benched for his performance. Griffin's bar is the same as Eli's bar, and it's a much lower bar than Matt McGloin has.

The rings thing is a fan argument (and I am not here to tell you what you should value -- at least not here). Benching the starting quarterback is not a decision the fans get to make. Two totally different universes here, and when you drag rings into the actual decision making process, you're doing it wrong.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #131
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,679
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

He should be allowed to play on Sunday on turf, in a dome, against a bad team. Let him get some confidence back. Kirk can play the last game or two.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #132
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

I'm not against giving Cousins a scripted drive so he can look really good heading into the offseason, but Griffin needs to be starting and playing.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #133
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,608
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Contradiction noted.

Not sure how the tide has turned exactly. His knee has healed further and he needs playing time to continue to improve, just like any 2nd yr QB does. Should Carolina have sat Cam down last year when they were 3-9? Things like reading a D don't come with sitting.

If you're benching him for his play better sit down most of the team too. But as we know that's not going to happen, because this isn't about his knee or his play.
The tide has turned because he's playing like shit and the team is 3-10. The offense has gone 2,3, 4 and even 5 quarters w/out scoring a single point. It's a struggle just to get a first down at times. The Newton point is fair, he should have been benched last year... but again, he's got healthy knees.

If my memory serves me correct, didn't Steve Walsh play some while Aikman stunk it up? The better guy obviously won out so why is everyone so worried about 3 games? 3 games isn't going to kill RG3's growth with 28-29 starts under his belt.
skinsfan69 is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #134
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: How would you feel if Shanahan benches RGIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
No denying this but Redskins fans have to live with the outcome regardless of why things are done.

I think starting Cousins is a win-win situation.
RG3 is not 100% so no reason to risk injury now, he is the franchise regardless of what anybody thinks. That's what three #1s dictate.

Cousins could use the experience.

RG3 needs to sit and watch. I think he should share a little blame in this giant mess and I hope sitting him humbles him a bit. It would be great if Cousins ran the offense better than RG3 so he can realize he still needs a lot of work and his athleticism is only a small part of playing QB.

No matter what happens, Shanahan is going to spin it in his favor.
If cousins does great, he will say RG3 was forced on him.
If cousins sucks, he will say they don't have the personnel to run his offense.

I only hope the backup linemen get a chance to play too.

Can't wait for the next chapter...
I actually don't think it would be a bad thing to sit RGIII -- regardless of the possible ulterior motives of Mike Shanahan. Griffin comes across a cerebral sort of character, and looking at the game from a different vantage point along with time to reflect from a mental point of view might really do him some good.

And, there is some truth to the idea that fearing for the man's health is a legitimate concern. Maybe playing in the ice storm is what alerted the coaching staff to that. And really -- wouldn't it be final gut punch of this horrific season to see Griffin suffer another significant injury in the final three meaningless games?

It wouldn't be the end of the world if #10 watches from the sidelines for a few games.
Beemnseven is offline  
Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #135
Pro Bowl
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 43
Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I was just saying that benching Griffin for performance is defensible, but not if you don't also believe Eli should be benched for his performance. Griffin's bar is the same as Eli's bar, and it's a much lower bar than Matt McGloin has.

The rings thing is a fan argument (and I am not here to tell you what you should value -- at least not here). Benching the starting quarterback is not a decision the fans get to make. Two totally different universes here, and when you drag rings into the actual decision making process, you're doing it wrong.
I dont think either one should be benched at this particular moment in time.
We will just have to agree to disagree on rings/past performance not factoring into a coaches decision to bench their qb. Ive seen alot of great qb's go into slumps - unless they are in the twilight of their careers, or injured - they rarely get benched. As for RG-3 and Eli, well its apples and oranges because of the Shanny thing. It is of course very strange that suddenly MS is worried about his health - please. However if that was not going on, well Griff is coming off major surgery, and he has played rather poorly. Eli is having a bad year, but I just cannot imagine the Giants benching him, - if this was Elis second year and he didnt have two rings, etc - than I would imagine it might be atleast a topic in Giants camp.
__________________
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Vince Lombardi
punch it in is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30266 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25