Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Rebuilding the Redskins

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #31
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,099
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsGuru View Post
maybe #3 receiver (slot), but not a true #2 (garcon is a low end #1/ high end #2) ) . . . we would have to be able to sign/draft a #1/#2 in addition . . .
I'll agree with that, since GarÁon is really a #2 playing #1 for us.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,844
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsGuru View Post
maybe #3 receiver (slot), but not a true #2 (garcon is a low end #1/ high end #2) ) . . . we would have to be able to sign/draft a #1/#2 in addition . . .
I think receivers at this point should be a low priority for the Skins. Maybe you can get some depth at receiver in the later rounds of the draft or some cheap free agents.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
Registered User
 
Green Monk Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parkville
Posts: 464
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I think the defensive roster is (still) far better suited to a 4-3.

LDE Kerrigan
DT Cofield/backup
DT Jenkins/Golston/Bowen rotating
RDE Orakpo

MLB Riley
SLB Jackson
WLB Tapp

Hall and Amerson at corners. One of Rambo/Merriweather/Jackson starts and we need a starter at the other safety spot.

Maybe bring in a FA over Tapp, but I definitely think Riley and Jackson can hold down the other two spots.

Depth is still and issue at many positions, but at least we're making the most of our assets. Rak especially will be a beast at RDE and Kerrigan is plenty stout enough to play LDE and create some pressure too.

The offense needs more help than defense in terms of adding players/talent. 3 or even 4 new olineman and at least another starting WR.

Yup. CHanging back to a 4-3 IMO would be less shopping in FA and just require rotating guys around and they'd have the versatility at DE to drop back and cover. The only FA's on Defense needed would be in the secondary.

At DT you forgot about Baker.
Green Monk Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
For specific players yes, but lets be honest its not too hard to tell which positions are lagging.
Agreed, but what kind of players for the schemes is the key.

- OL, Run game, is it Smash-mouth or Zone. Will we be Quick-pass game or PA with 5-7 step drops.
- 4-3 vs. 3-4 makes a huge difference in the skill-sets targeted in the front 7
- Coverage, primarily Zone or Man. Man-off, or Press.
- WRs - Are we looking for quicker, Welker types or big, physical WRs
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' ó Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #35
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,844
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

If the Skins moved to a 4-3 they would need at least 1 DE, even though they would also need depth, at least one new DT and depth at that position as well, two starting Outside Linebackers, and they would still need a lot of corners and new safeties. But if they did switch to a 4-3, they might end up being Minnesota... the 31st ranked defense in the NFL.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
redskins5044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Schertz, Tx
Age: 35
Posts: 3,082
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I think the defensive roster is (still) far better suited to a 4-3.

LDE Kerrigan
DT Cofield/backup
DT Jenkins/Golston/Bowen rotating
RDE Orakpo

MLB Riley
SLB Jackson
WLB Tapp

.

Switching defenses might be better, but we would be asking Kerrigan and Orakpo to play a position they have never played in the NFL. Kerrigan might be able to, but Rak played LB in the 4-3 so too think he could move to end and be effective is very optismistic. who knows it could work maybe it would suit him better.
__________________
Spider 2 Y Banana Jr. is the new Head Coach.
redskins5044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,844
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskins5044 View Post
Switching defenses might be better, but we would be asking Kerrigan and Orakpo to play a position they have never played in the NFL. Kerrigan might be able to, but Rak played LB in the 4-3 so too think he could move to end and be effective is very optismistic. who knows it could work maybe it would suit him better.
Orakpo played DE in college like Rob Jackson/Ryan Kerrigan, he also played a lot of DE his rookie year. I think with the right coach he would be a good DE.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #38
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,707
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Agreed, but what kind of players for the schemes is the key.

- OL, Run game, is it Smash-mouth or Zone. Will we be Quick-pass game or PA with 5-7 step drops.
- 4-3 vs. 3-4 makes a huge difference in the skill-sets targeted in the front 7
- Coverage, primarily Zone or Man. Man-off, or Press.
- WRs - Are we looking for quicker, Welker types or big, physical WRs
Looking at our team now, we need fundementally strong players with versitility. We need LBs and Safeties who can tackle. We need WRs that can catch. We need to get the basics down first, before we scheme. But I agree with what your saying and Im sure the new regime will looking who fits their mold, but lets get guys who have their primary skills down pat.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monk Machine View Post
Yup. CHanging back to a 4-3 IMO would be less shopping in FA and just require rotating guys around and they'd have the versatility at DE to drop back and cover. The only FA's on Defense needed would be in the secondary.

At DT you forgot about Baker.


Thanks bro, I couldn't remember if Baker or Neild is more likely to return next year, but yeah should be a solid backup to Cofield or probably rotate in.


I don't anybody should assume the new coach will choose to blow up the defense the way Mike did, parting ways with solid guys on the roster and forcing a square peg into a round hole. A smart HC/DC will look at the defensive roster and (IMO) see the 4-3 is the better fit and go with it.


Looking at offense again, I strongly believe Helu needs to be on the field more, though not necessarily as a RB fulltime. Helu holds the Redskins record for catches in a game (from 2011 I believe), runs a 4.4 40 and has shown pretty remarkable athleticism in space. I think a smart coach will use him much like New England and San Diego use RBs, swinging them out as WRs, having them come out of the backfield a lot as pass catchers etc. Bottom line is Morris and Helu both a have much to offer and should be on the field at the same time.


Add a WR starter, a couple/few olineman and maximize the talent already on the roster like Helu and this offense is set to fly.


Fuck I hope RG doesn't sour on the franchise because of the Shanahans.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
Impact Rookie
 
calia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodside, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 613
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

I think the first and most challenging job a new coach will have is getting the situation with RGIII back on track. On the one hand, he cannot look like he's bending to the star player's will. But on the other hand, he cannot come in like a complete hardass and pretend that the shitstorm that has been this season might not affect the guy. That's going to be a very, very difficult thing to do -- and to do it all while establishing relationships with a bunch of guys you probably don't know and with the intense media scrutiny that comes with coaching this team will make it all the more challenging.

Whoever comes in is going to have to demonstrate some real touch right out of the box, putting aside whatever other coaching skills will be needed.

But now I know what I want for Christmas....
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #41
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,100
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Fixing the players is only a tiny part of what's needed to fix this organization.
Beyond the coaching, what do you think is broke?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #42
Impact Rookie
 
Kindoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 835
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
We only have 6 picks, if you're expecting we get quality players with at least 5 of those picks you might want to lower expectations. We have a lot of holes to fill and we're probably going to have to fill the majority in free agency. Hopefully our new coach is smart and goes after solid guys instead of the name guys looking for a payday.
Sorry - [a quality DB], MLB and WR.
__________________
RIP 21
Kindoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #43
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,677
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Fixing the players is only a tiny part of what's needed to fix this organization.
Well said and you didn't need 5 paragraphs to say it. Total turnarounds can happen in one off season and don't require complete overhauls of the roster. The Skins can add 5-7 starters between the draft and free agency, but essentially the same 3-10 roster went 10-6 last year.

Teams go from crappy to good and good to crappy every year with essentially the same personnel. Exceptional QB play solves most problems. Otherwise, you need to be very good to dominant at every other aspect of the game, vis a vis the 49ers.

A better Griffin and a middle of the pack Special Teams unit and THIS years team is at least .500.

O-line and Defense is all they need to focus on.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #44
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Looking at our team now, we need fundementally strong players with versitility. We need LBs and Safeties who can tackle. We need WRs that can catch. We need to get the basics down first, before we scheme. But I agree with what your saying and Im sure the new regime will looking who fits their mold, but lets get guys who have their primary skills down pat.
As I read this, it is sad to see how far we've fallen. The RG3 issues are so far down the priority list it's embarrassing.

This is 100% on Daddy Shanny. If any of MS's people are reading this....tell MS he should resign because he has produced a complete and utter failure in every sense of the word. There is no phase of this team that is competitive. If he takes even $ 1.00 of the $ 7M for next year he's as bad as Haynesworth.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' ó Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #45
Camp Scrub
 
RFKRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 98
Re: Rebuilding the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Well said and you didn't need 5 paragraphs to say it. Total turnarounds can happen in one off season and don't require complete overhauls of the roster. The Skins can add 5-7 starters between the draft and free agency, but essentially the same 3-10 roster went 10-6 last year.

Teams go from crappy to good and good to crappy every year with essentially the same personnel. Exceptional QB play solves most problems. Otherwise, you need to be very good to dominant at every other aspect of the game, vis a vis the 49ers.

A better Griffin and a middle of the pack Special Teams unit and THIS years team is at least .500.

O-line and Defense is all they need to focus on.
That's assuming that any decent free agents want to come play for this dysfunctional mess. With either a new coach/regime, etc or the old regime simply playing out the string with obvious drama between the coach and owner.

And if there is a new coach, who is really going to step in here with the obvious issues that are going on with the owner?

Just having cap money doesn't mean things will be fixed quickly. There will be a lot of other teams out there with money to spend that are in a better position talent-wise and they aren't the dysfunctional laughingstock this franchise has become.
RFKRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30068 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25