Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Musgrave.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,210
Musgrave.

Well, through the internet I've been able to find a lot of educated fans from other teams. I like to get their opinions about the skins, give mine on their team, and find out general other stuff. Anyhow, talked to a Jags fan today and asked him about Musgrave, this is the response I got:

HE SUCKS.

He's too conservative, he runs the same three plays in a row, and he refuses to go down field with a young QB (leftwhich.)

If this analysis is correct he sounds just like Gibbs and the opposite of what we needed. What do you guys think?
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-25-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Musgrave.

he's not there to call plays, only to work with ramsey and from what i've read about him he has helped develop some very good qbs.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,635
Re: Musgrave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Well, through the internet I've been able to find a lot of educated fans from other teams. I like to get their opinions about the skins, give mine on their team, and find out general other stuff. Anyhow, talked to a Jags fan today and asked him about Musgrave, this is the response I got:

HE SUCKS.

He's too conservative, he runs the same three plays in a row, and he refuses to go down field with a young QB (leftwhich.)

If this analysis is correct he sounds just like Gibbs and the opposite of what we needed. What do you guys think?
Wow now we got Gibbs and his lesser apprentice but gibbs says he will try more down field stuff but who knows?
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 5,411
Re: Musgrave.

what we need to hope is that our oline doesnt get banged up next year. Because its goign to be the same type of crap as this year, its going to depend on the running game first. So as long as Portis is dominatnig with a good oline we will win, if not....well then we pray that in the huddle Ramsey says he is going to look long first...
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,210
Re: Musgrave.

heh, Running through all those people is the hard part!
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,396
Re: Musgrave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
what we need to hope is that our oline doesnt get banged up next year. Because its goign to be the same type of crap as this year, its going to depend on the running game first. So as long as Portis is dominatnig with a good oline we will win, if not....well then we pray that in the huddle Ramsey says he is going to look long first...
amen to that,it all starts upfront,if we have the protection and the recievers are hanging on to the ball,Gibb's knows when to take the shots,at least he used too,I dont think he tried it enough last yr,but I dont watch game films or see practice,and he's obviously privy to something we dont know,so I forgive him for last yr,but Ramsey has to have protection to be effective
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:37 AM   #7
Special Teams
 
John Hasbrouck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 180
Re: Musgrave.

Musgrave is not here to call plays or do game plans-only to coach up Ramsey. Musgrave is a top shelf QB coach. Ramsey needs coaching up- no matter what the majority of you think.
John Hasbrouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:26 AM   #8
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Musgrave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hasbrouck
Musgrave is not here to call plays or do game plans-only to coach up Ramsey. Musgrave is a top shelf QB coach. Ramsey needs coaching up- no matter what the majority of you think.
I agree with your first two statements, and slightly disagree with your last statement about Ramsey needing "coaching up. "

First, Gibbs even admits he learned a lot last season - principally he needs to "open-up" the offense. So, even if Musgrave was conservative in Jacksonville, I don't think that means we'll retain our conservative approach on offense.

Second, Musgrave is supposedly a pretty damn good position coach. Being a bad offensive coordinator doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good QB coach again.

As to your last point that Ramsey needs coaching up.....I agree that Ramsey needs additional coaching (as any young QB does). But, I think Ramsey needs experience more than coaching. It typically takes a QB a full two seasons of starting to develop. Thus far, Ramsey's started 23 games. Moreover, those 23 games were under two different head coaches, three different offensive coordinators, and over the course of three seasons. I think he needs a solid coaching staff (which he has) and a chance to start a number of consecutive games (which he hasn't had).
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
NY_Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Age: 41
Posts: 838
Re: Musgrave.

Gibbs didn't open up the offense last year becuase everytime he saw Brunell throw long it went ten yards out of bounds...what was the point then. Once Ramsey came in it was too late in the season. The oline was a mess, the wr's were dropping all sorts of short passes. I think Gibbs system may not be a perfect fit for the nfl today, but it certainly will work a lot better with a better oline...I feel that's were it all starts. If we can get some protection for Portis and Ramsey we will have a very fun team to watch this year.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
Playmaker
 
BrudLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 3,494
Re: Musgrave.

On this site - which is the best Redskins site bar none - we have been known to have, shall we say, sour grapes, about those who have left the Redskins employ.

Pierce? a system guy.

Smoot? He'll regret leaving.

Bailey? *%#&%$!!!

It doesn't surprise me that Jag fans are blaming Musgrave for their woes. They were, before last season, a sweetheart pick for the Super Bowl. He wasn't so bad then.
__________________
There's nowhere to go but up. Or down. I guess we could stay where we are, too.
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: Musgrave.

Gibbs is a big "stats" guy. When he got out of the season and saw how badly he ranked in plays over 25 yards I am sure it ate him up. When he says he will improve that, he will. Period. It may not mean he gets into the top ten, but they will improve.
Musgrave was brought in because Ramsey is a gun slinger and Gibbs wanted to help round out his game. Musgrave can get the best out of QB's and understands the west coast offense blocking schemes. This will be good because he will help to employ Portis in the short passing.

In short, Musgrave can help the short passes go longer and Gibbs gets to develop a long passing game to exploit the defenses. Remember, Gibbs calls the plays, not Musgrave.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,635
Re: Musgrave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
I agree with your first two statements, and slightly disagree with your last statement about Ramsey needing "coaching up. "

First, Gibbs even admits he learned a lot last season - principally he needs to "open-up" the offense. So, even if Musgrave was conservative in Jacksonville, I don't think that means we'll retain our conservative approach on offense.

Second, Musgrave is supposedly a pretty damn good position coach. Being a bad offensive coordinator doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good QB coach again.

As to your last point that Ramsey needs coaching up.....I agree that Ramsey needs additional coaching (as any young QB does). But, I think Ramsey needs experience more than coaching. It typically takes a QB a full two seasons of starting to develop. Thus far, Ramsey's started 23 games. Moreover, those 23 games were under two different head coaches, three different offensive coordinators, and over the course of three seasons. I think he needs a solid coaching staff (which he has) and a chance to start a number of consecutive games (which he hasn't had).
yeah yeah, i think he needs a good position coach, he messes up quiet a bit and don't get me wrong i do not want any other quarterback in there. I would like him in there for years but he does need to learn more about the game, after seeing some of his tape on fox and then on playbook on NFL network it just seemed that he wasn't throwing it to the obvious choice and was just throwing it short to a covered man but i am sure that a little more experience will go a long way its just that he needs a good coach and good experience and not just experince
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #13
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: Musgrave.

Well, Musgrave wasn't brought in to be the offensive coordinator so there's not much sense in analyzing his playcalling abilities.

I think there's this misconception with some of the younger fans that Gibbs is this ultra-conservative minded offensive coach, which just isn't true. But going off last year I can see why this opinion is forming.

Gibbs is responsible for some of the more explosive offenses in NFL history. Last year was definitely an adjustment for him, but I believe we'll see a much improved offense in 2005 with an improved offensive line, a more experienced Ramsey under center, a group of speedy WRs, and Gibbs having last year under his belt.

As I indicated in another thread, the offense averaged over 300 yards per game and just over 20 points per game in the last 5 games of last season. I think we'll see a continuation of that late season development in 2005.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
Special Teams
 
jrocx69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Age: 33
Posts: 461
Re: Musgrave.

musgrave was also brought in to help gibbs with zone blitzing defense which i believe made gibbs very cautious with plays and thus had a bigger effect on ramsey's play. musgrave was brought in to help with plays, but not to call them. i believe musgrave was brought in for 2 reasons, help ramsey develope fundamentals, and help both ramsey and gibbs with what modern day D-coordinators are doing with defense (zone blitzing, (3-4)... which gibbs rarely seen in his first stint
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #15
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,440
Re: Musgrave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocx69
musgrave was also brought in to help gibbs with zone blitzing defense which i believe made gibbs very cautious with plays and thus had a bigger effect on ramsey's play. musgrave was brought in to help with plays, but not to call them. i believe musgrave was brought in for 2 reasons, help ramsey develope fundamentals, and help both ramsey and gibbs with what modern day D-coordinators are doing with defense (zone blitzing, (3-4)... which gibbs rarely seen in his first stint
Good points, and since Musgrave's background is in the west coast offense I'm sure that will benefit Gibbs to see a different perspective in offensive schemes.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29617 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25