Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #46
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,879
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
The difference is your average business owner starts or buys a business where he or she possesses some or complete knowledge of how the business needs to function. A person buying an NFL team is going in 100% blind. The successful owners have been the ones lucky enough to hire the right people and step back. With the new slotted salaries for rookies teams that have the best drafts are going to be at a big advantage, talent scouts are going to be as important as the coaching staff. Plugging holes with high priced free agents will be a road to ruin.
This is a great way to put it. Excellent post.

I cringe everytime i hear commercials touting a place as being successful because it's been around a long time. That does not define success. Nothing is farther from the truth. An owner with deep pockets, etc., a place can survive generations and still be bleeding out cash year by year.

Snyder isn't going broke anytime soon. There's nothing stopping him from ruining the skins to beyond repair in that time. He has, whether knowingly or not, cultivated a poisonous atmosphere that is in no way conducive to success. Lots of folks, myself included, feel that the team will never have a fair chance until Snyder is gone and somebody competent owns the team. A successful organization, which is NOT the same thing as being around for a long time, has became successful because the person in charge knows about the business and knows what it takes to succeed.

99% of your huge companies out there right now have owners in place that are hands off. they know next to nothing about how to run the company because thats why they have auditors and professional staff. I hate to cite reality TV, but if Undercover boss has shown me anything, most of the owners really don't have a freaking clue about day to day operation. For the most part they are good people that just want to do the right thing, but really have no knowledge about their product or the procedure behind any given thing that is done or why.....

The other 1% or small businesses where the owner puts in lots of work, runs the whole company, etc....
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,755
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That will never happen as long as arguments like yours are made. In your post you used past actions to project ideas about current behavior. You'll still be able to do that in 200 years.

If you think Snyder is meddling NOW (not in the past), show your evidence. If you have no evidence, then speculation is pointless.
How about you show evidence that Snyder's changed? I gave you one bit. I don't think it and other signs Snyder's changed outweigh the meddling Snyder's done for over a decade. Turner, Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan.... How many coaching regimes do we have to go through before the burden of proof is on those who argue "Snyder's changed" this time?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #48
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,802
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
How about you show evidence that Snyder's changed? I gave you one bit. I don't think it and other signs Snyder's changed outweigh the meddling Snyder's done for over a decade. Turner, Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan.... How many coaching regimes do we have to go through before the burden of proof is on those who argue "Snyder's changed" this time?
I think you see a very specific pattern in all of Snyder's time, barring Turner/Schottenheimer where he was the meddler from hell. Since Gibbs, Snyder has significantly changed, but his model is, I find one guy I trust, and then "suggest" what I want to do. Depending on the backbone of the guy he trusts depends on the level of meddling.

With Gibbs, most accounts are that while he involved himself with the players personally, football decisions were entrusted to Gibbs but Gibbs believed in a strong owner so Snyder could "meddle" some.

Cerrato, the leach was always there, and when Gibbs left Cerrato became the trusted guy. Cerrato was and I think is a spineless no nothing who pushed his agenda ahead of the best for football. And Cerrato's bad decisions gave Snyder impetus to push and be overly involved.

Shanallen, I think we finally start to see some level of backing away, where mainly Shanahan but also Allen could push ideas without direct interference. Maybe once in a while on a handful of decisions over 4 years Snyder personally intervened, but percentage wise, and over the vast numbers of decisions, where to have training camp, when Griffin played this season, who the assistant coaches were, etc etc, we didn't see Snyders hand like we did under Cerrato, and certainly not like with Turner/Schottenheimer.

Now we have Allen. Snyder absolutely trusts Allen. I hope it's trust well placed, but clearly, no move so far can be pointed to as a Snyder override of Allen's grand plan.

And SS84, way to be overly dramatic about Snyder "ruining the Skins beyond repair". I think they sell a Skins Repair kit in WalMart (aisle 5).
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #49
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,755
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think you see a very specific pattern in all of Snyder's time, barring Turner/Schottenheimer where he was the meddler from hell. Since Gibbs, Snyder has significantly changed, but his model is, I find one guy I trust, and then "suggest" what I want to do. Depending on the backbone of the guy he trusts depends on the level of meddling.

With Gibbs, most accounts are that while he involved himself with the players personally, football decisions were entrusted to Gibbs but Gibbs believed in a strong owner so Snyder could "meddle" some.

Cerrato, the leach was always there, and when Gibbs left Cerrato became the trusted guy. Cerrato was and I think is a spineless no nothing who pushed his agenda ahead of the best for football. And Cerrato's bad decisions gave Snyder impetus to push and be overly involved.

Shanallen, I think we finally start to see some level of backing away, where mainly Shanahan but also Allen could push ideas without direct interference. Maybe once in a while on a handful of decisions over 4 years Snyder personally intervened, but percentage wise, and over the vast numbers of decisions, where to have training camp, when Griffin played this season, who the assistant coaches were, etc etc, we didn't see Snyders hand like we did under Cerrato, and certainly not like with Turner/Schottenheimer.

Now we have Allen. Snyder absolutely trusts Allen. I hope it's trust well placed, but clearly, no move so far can be pointed to as a Snyder override of Allen's grand plan.

And SS84, way to be overly dramatic about Snyder "ruining the Skins beyond repair". I think they sell a Skins Repair kit in WalMart (aisle 5).
Yeah, and I really wish I could convey tone better in a message post. Lotus, nothing against you, and ultimately I wish you were right. CRR, your speculation matches mine, I don't know if my agreeing is a good sign, lol.

Snyder's going to own the team for at least a couple more decades, I fear. Maybe he'll "get it" eventually. I believe even being a stereotypical "hands off" owner takes managerial skill dealing with the people at the top of the organization, even if he doesn't meddle in football matters, so I'm not saying Snyder's job would be easy if he were to be the owner we all wish he would be.

It's just I've heard that Snyder's changed, too many times. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Maybe we'll hear from enough people, once they're out of the organization for good, that Snyder really has stayed out of football matters. Or we'll start winning again in which case it's all good. Winning does "solve" everything.

HTTR
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #50
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,773
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
How about you show evidence that Snyder's changed? I gave you one bit. I don't think it and other signs Snyder's changed outweigh the meddling Snyder's done for over a decade. Turner, Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan.... How many coaching regimes do we have to go through before the burden of proof is on those who argue "Snyder's changed" this time?
I didn't argue that Snyder has changed. I said that your argument is essentially circular, as it assumes what it is trying to prove, and hence is fallacious.

Snyder meddled under Shanahan? Prove it. I have seen zero evidence for this which is not just Shanahan crapping on everyone on the way out the door. Offer real evidence that is indisputably not just Shanahan spin.

You can talk about the past all you want. But until you offer evidence from the present, which you have not done despite a call for it, you are engaging in pointless rumor-mongering.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #51
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,755
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I didn't argue that Snyder has changed. I said that your argument is essentially circular, as it assumes what it is trying to prove, and hence is fallacious.

Snyder meddled under Shanahan? Prove it. I have seen zero evidence for this which is not just Shanahan crapping on everyone on the way out the door. Offer real evidence that is indisputably not just Shanahan spin.

You can talk about the past all you want. But until you offer evidence from the present, which you have not done despite a call for it, you are engaging in pointless rumor-mongering.
The latest rumors could be just Shanahan leaving a turd on the carpet for Snyder to clean up. But after multiple coaches attesting to Snyders involvement, (even during the Gibbs 2.0 era where Gibbs and Cerrato would present their plans to Snyder for approval, which seemed a lot more benign at the time than Snyder and Cerrato acting on their own), the burden of proof that Snyder's changed is on those who would question that Snyder hasn't.

Gruden is the 8th head coach under Snyder. We know Snyder wasn't "hands off" for all but Shanahan. And whether Snyder was "hands off" with Shanny is disputed. How many times should we assume, "Yeah, he's changed this time."?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #52
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,879
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think you see a very specific pattern in all of Snyder's time, barring Turner/Schottenheimer where he was the meddler from hell. Since Gibbs, Snyder has significantly changed, but his model is, I find one guy I trust, and then "suggest" what I want to do. Depending on the backbone of the guy he trusts depends on the level of meddling.

With Gibbs, most accounts are that while he involved himself with the players personally, football decisions were entrusted to Gibbs but Gibbs believed in a strong owner so Snyder could "meddle" some.

Cerrato, the leach was always there, and when Gibbs left Cerrato became the trusted guy. Cerrato was and I think is a spineless no nothing who pushed his agenda ahead of the best for football. And Cerrato's bad decisions gave Snyder impetus to push and be overly involved.

Shanallen, I think we finally start to see some level of backing away, where mainly Shanahan but also Allen could push ideas without direct interference. Maybe once in a while on a handful of decisions over 4 years Snyder personally intervened, but percentage wise, and over the vast numbers of decisions, where to have training camp, when Griffin played this season, who the assistant coaches were, etc etc, we didn't see Snyders hand like we did under Cerrato, and certainly not like with Turner/Schottenheimer.

Now we have Allen. Snyder absolutely trusts Allen. I hope it's trust well placed, but clearly, no move so far can be pointed to as a Snyder override of Allen's grand plan.

And SS84, way to be overly dramatic about Snyder "ruining the Skins beyond repair". I think they sell a Skins Repair kit in WalMart (aisle 5).
I don't think he has ruined it beyond repair, i'm trying to say there is nothing stopping him from doing it whether he does it deliberately or unknowingly. I think a few more cycles of coaches being fired and a team that isn't winning might be enough to forever scare away any legitimate coaches, coordinators etc.... I think Snyder is a guy who is doing things over and over again while expecting different results, even though he's done it so many times before and things haven't turned out any different. eg ) This guy didn't win, i'll fire him and the next coach will win. This coach didn't win, i'll fire him and start over. I'll fire the whole staff and start over....etc...etc...
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #53
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,773
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
The latest rumors could be just Shanahan leaving a turd on the carpet for Snyder to clean up. But after multiple coaches attesting to Snyders involvement, (even during the Gibbs 2.0 era where Gibbs and Cerrato would present their plans to Snyder for approval, which seemed a lot more benign at the time than Snyder and Cerrato acting on their own), the burden of proof that Snyder's changed is on those who would question that Snyder hasn't.

Gruden is the 8th head coach under Snyder. We know Snyder wasn't "hands off" for all but Shanahan. And whether Snyder was "hands off" with Shanny is disputed. How many times should we assume, "Yeah, he's changed this time."?
You just won't let go of the wrongheaded the-past-proves-the-present argument, will you?

Perhaps you are right. I shall now presume that this year is 2008 because it was 2008 before. Of course that means that you cannot comment on this post because you are not a Warpath member in 2008. It's a shame that things never change, isn't it?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 01-31-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #54
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,802
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I don't think he has ruined it beyond repair, i'm trying to say there is nothing stopping him from doing it whether he does it deliberately or unknowingly. I think a few more cycles of coaches being fired and a team that isn't winning might be enough to forever scare away any legitimate coaches, coordinators etc.... I think Snyder is a guy who is doing things over and over again while expecting different results, even though he's done it so many times before and things haven't turned out any different. eg ) This guy didn't win, i'll fire him and the next coach will win. This coach didn't win, i'll fire him and start over. I'll fire the whole staff and start over....etc...etc...
So instead you would rather JJ who thinks Garrett is the next Landry?

Firing a guy for not winning happens EVERY year in the NFL to around 6-8 coaches.

He's definitely NOT doing the same thing over and over, he's tried every angle for hiring a coach you could do:
bought the team:
  • Keep current coach - Turner [2 years]
  • Fire midseason hire interim (never again say i) [3 games]
  • hire ancient chinese secret guy (Probably his best move, and if his ego let Schottenheimer stay two more years a whole different tune would be said) [1 year]
  • hire best up and coming college guy (worked this yr for the iggles ) [2 years]
  • hire team legend and football legend (again, might've worked but for ST21's death and JG's son's health) [4 years and JG decision to leave]
  • Let fans dictate(ie not hire Fassel), and listen to trusted advisor who is an idiot(never again say i) [2 years]
  • hire out of work SB winning coach who wants a fresh start (this was the closest to the doing the same thing over and over, but he had to bring in a son of a legend (Allen) instead of wrapping it all up in JG) [3 1/2 of them miserable years - outlasted the other miserables by 1 1/2 years]
  • let GM(football guy) pick his guy, who is a sought after coordinator with a winning history and make sure the initials match a Redskins legend. (this one is the lucky one. [5+ hopefully]


my points are:
1) DS has tried every method of getting the right guy
2) the last 10 years he has shown himself more patient. The only exception is Zorn, but if he had kept Zorn into year 3 Fedex would have seen riots.

I just think it's wrong to say Snyder isn't evolving. It's just that growing into a good NFL owner rarely happens quickly.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #55
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,773
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I don't think he has ruined it beyond repair, i'm trying to say there is nothing stopping him from doing it whether he does it deliberately or unknowingly. I think a few more cycles of coaches being fired and a team that isn't winning might be enough to forever scare away any legitimate coaches, coordinators etc.... I think Snyder is a guy who is doing things over and over again while expecting different results, even though he's done it so many times before and things haven't turned out any different. eg ) This guy didn't win, i'll fire him and the next coach will win. This coach didn't win, i'll fire him and start over. I'll fire the whole staff and start over....etc...etc...
Snyder gave Shanahan everything he desired. Shanahan then put up a 24-40 record over four years, during which time Snyder patiently waited for a winner to appear. Shanahan also gave Snyder a big "F*($ You" by pointlessly benching RGIII. But Snyder is in the wrong and is just repeating past mistakes by firing Shanahan? I don't get that. Many NFL owners would have fired Shanahan given what Shanahan did and didn't do.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #56
Special Teams
 
Bishop Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 140
Re: Dan Snyder: WP: Formula for Success Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i thought we all came to a spontaneous and unspoken agreement not to comment on this article/thread bc we all know and are over talking about how DS sucks and loves this team like Lennie loved soft furry things ..... it almost happened.
You get 10 Harold Bloom points for the Of Mice and Men reference.
__________________
I don't have to sell my soul
he's already in me
I don't need to sell my soul
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34115 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25