Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Current 2014 Free Agents

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #46
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,185
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
we have actually tried drafting the past few years under Shanny and the problem is we can't develop talent.
We've had the same hits and misses just like any other team. The reason why people are so against free agency, is because some people think Vinny is still in charge.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #47
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,337
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
We've had the same hits and misses just like any other team. The reason why people are so against free agency, is because some people think Vinny is still in charge.
I agree... They don't understand its our best option with no 1st round pick.

Last 4 drafts:
The redskins have drafted 7 Offensive lineman and 15 defensive players. They don't take the time to develop them or can't. that is the real problem.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #48
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,607
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
How that's not a core of players? That is the Redskins core. They're not only players, several of them are the face of our team. RG3, Morris, Reed (if healthy), Rak, Kerrigan, Riley, T. Williams, and Amerson. IS the core, then you get more guys and build around that. What we're lacking is depth and development.

You make it sound like we have 53 nobodies running around out there.
They are the core of a 3 win team. That's what it boils down to. Not saying they can't play better but those are facts. 3 wins.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #49
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,607
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
We've had the same hits and misses just like any other team. The reason why people are so against free agency, is because some people think Vinny is still in charge.
It has nothing to do with Vinny. I think there's a proven track record, not only here but other teams as well, that going on a big free agent spending spree doesn't parlay into wins.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #50
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,872
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I agree... They don't understand its our best option with no 1st round pick.

Last 4 drafts:
The redskins have drafted 7 Offensive lineman and 15 defensive players. They don't take the time to develop them or can't. that is the real problem.
I agree with the last part. And until they fix that the Redskins will still be where they have been the past 15 years, even if they sign free agents.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #51
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,872
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
We've had the same hits and misses just like any other team. The reason why people are so against free agency, is because some people think Vinny is still in charge.
Miami tried it, it didn't work.
Tampa Bay tried it, it didn't work for them.
Bills tried it to some extent, it didn't work for them.

There is a reason that teams like the Pats, Packers, Ravens, Seahawks, Saints, 49ers, and now the Panthers have been successful. They do not panic and sign big name free agents. All those teams draft their own players, develop them, and stay patient even when fans are screaming for them to spend 80 million dollars on a free agent that will magically fix the team. They still sign players, but they wait until they have the leverage. Only exception is a franchise QB. But teams do not let those guys go very often.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #52
Impact Rookie
 
ethat001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 726
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Miami tried it, it didn't work.
Tampa Bay tried it, it didn't work for them.
Bills tried it to some extent, it didn't work for them.

There is a reason that teams like the Pats, Packers, Ravens, Seahawks, Saints, 49ers, and now the Panthers have been successful. They do not panic and sign big name free agents. All those teams draft their own players, develop them, and stay patient even when fans are screaming for them to spend 80 million dollars on a free agent that will magically fix the team. They still sign players, but they wait until they have the leverage. Only exception is a franchise QB. But teams do not let those guys go very often.
I think you're missing the entire point. We ARE going to draft players, we're not going to give up on the draft.

BUT we happen to have $30 MILLION DOLLARS to spend on FA. It would be idiotic not to use it. ALL of the teams you mentioned bring in big impact FA all the time - off the top of my head, just recently the Pats got Amendola/Talib, Seahawks have Harvin, 49ers got Boldin, Denver with Wes Welker, and on and on...

I think what you are concerned about is overspending and missing on overvalued players past their prime. And I believe that has usually been Snyder in the past. Bruce and Shanny have recently signed younger FA to more reasonable deals, hope we can continue this.

The best part is that NOW is the perfect time to spend in FA -> in order for the new coach to revamp the team to players that suit his system. Hope we bring in good locker room guys and not people like Brandon Spikes.

Last edited by ethat001; 01-11-2014 at 02:33 PM.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #53
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,982
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
I think you're missing the entire point. We ARE going to draft players, we're not going to give up on the draft.

BUT we happen to have $30 MILLION DOLLARS to spend on FA. It would be idiotic not to use it. ALL of the teams you mentioned bring in big impact FA all the time - off the top of my head, just recently the Pats got Amendola, Seahawks have Harvin, 49ers got Boldin, Denver with Wes Welker, and on and on...


I find it hilarious that the examples you gave are the exact evidence that counters your argument.....LOL None of those acquisitions have helped those teams out much. All three of them have been injured for the most part. I'm almost willing to bet that those teams would take a mulligan if given the chance. Also, several of those were trades.


You don't just spend for the sake of spending. Who cares if you have 30 million or 50 million in cap room. You draft young talent, you develop them, and you pay them when it's time and let them go right before their downward slope of their career. Good teams do it and bad ones do not.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #54
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

we need DBs and at least an OT. we have money, they're available. might as well plug dem der holes.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #55
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,325
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Can we please get this thread back on track? Regardless of what you or I may think of Free Agency in general. the Redskins ARE going to sign some Free Agents. So who do you like?
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #56
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,358
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
They are the core of a 3 win team. That's what it boils down to. Not saying they can't play better but those are facts. 3 wins.
I didn't say they were a good core.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #57
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,337
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Is Devin Hester considered on the downside of his career?
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #58
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,325
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

I want Aqib Talib in FA. I bet the Skins do, too. He's playing tonight, so we have a chance to see our next shutdown corner in action.
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #59
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,766
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
Is Devin Hester considered on the downside of his career?
In the last two years combined he's only taken one kick to the house. This is very different from his glory years, when he had 5 or 6 a season.

Y! SPORTS
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #60
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,928
Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

My ideal free agency would be:
Emmanual Sanders-WR
Dexter McCluster-WR/PR/KR
Michael Oher-RT
Evan Deitrich-Smith-C
Sam Sheilds-CB
Malcolm Jenkins-S

None of these players should break the bank and they're all in that 25-27 yr old window going into their second contract and have some upside.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28239 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25