Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: Should the NFL consider eliminating the extra point?
Yes 26 29.89%
No 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #121
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,237
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Possible compromises:

1. Keep it as is but rename it "The Superfluous Point".
2. Move it back to midfield and make it worth 20 points.
3. Mandate that it must be kicked by a one-legged player.
4. Put blindfolds on the snapper, holder, and kicker.
5. Bring randomly selected fans out of the stands to kick all extra points.
6. Spin a wheel after each made extra point(s) to determine its value - 1 to10 points.
7. Require all extra points to be kicked over a double decker bus at the LOS.
8. Bring carloads of clowns onto the field to perform during extra point attempts.
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #122
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,331
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

If they get rid of the extra point they are going to have some type of extra play. They don't want to lose commercial time by getting rid of a TV timeout.

BTW I hate the change, No need for it.
What's next QB kneel downs?

It's a part of the game, getting rid of it does not make the game better or safer. There is still a chance at a botched snap or shanked kick.

What about getting rid of the hail mary and qb spike to kill the clock? not needed so why not change it? don't answer I'm just being a dick.

There is no reason to change it!
How about focus on fixing officiating errors and and come up with a for players to play defense without getting roughing penalties.

These little bullshit changes are nothing more than Goodell trying to keep the press of the refs.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #123
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,773
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
If they get rid of the extra point they are going to have some type of extra play. They don't want to lose commercial time by getting rid of a TV timeout.

BTW I hate the change, No need for it.
What's next QB kneel downs?

It's a part of the game, getting rid of it does not make the game better or safer. There is still a chance at a botched snap or shanked kick.

What about getting rid of the hail mary and qb spike to kill the clock? not needed so why not change it? don't answer I'm just being a dick.

There is no reason to change it!
How about focus on fixing officiating errors and and come up with a for players to play defense without getting roughing penalties.

These little bullshit changes are nothing more than Goodell trying to keep the press of the refs.
I'm sure TV can manage. They can just show more replays while the TD is being confirmed and then cut to commercial.

The whole point is improving upon a play that's become a mere formality. Last I checked hail mary's don't have a 99.1% success rate.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #124
Impact Rookie
 
Gary84Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 792
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

I say make it a 40 yarder for 1 or a 50 yarder for 2, and also make it returnable for touchdowns if it is blocked or returned by the defense.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #125
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

^ There you go...uncontested kick right from the 50 yard-line...so a 60-yard kick. It can be returned like in Arena ball.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #126
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,628
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
If you can accept that the current PAT is simply perfunctory, which the numbers bare out, then you'd have to accept that TDs are functionally worth 7 points in today's NFL. Start from that point of view and follow a logical path of reasoning to understand why it should be changed in some way.

I personally think moving it back or making it more difficult in some other way actually changes the game MORE than just formally making TDs worth 7 and integrating the +1/-1 idea. So in some ways I am against drastic changes.
This.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #127
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,110
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
That's not an objective argument. That's the fear of change argument. ?


You can take that BS somewhere else .I like the game like it is ,yes ,so effing what ?Really because a bunch of bored wanna bees(most are drunk in front of their TVs) get tired of something....the whole game should change ,no ,not buying into it .
So why have a kicker ,for the thinking that I see in the posts here we don't need kickoffs either yes or no .
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #128
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,622
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
If you can accept that the current PAT is simply perfunctory, which the numbers bare out, then you'd have to accept that TDs are functionally worth 7 points in today's NFL. Start from that point of view and follow a logical path of reasoning to understand why it should be changed in some way.

I personally think moving it back or making it more difficult in some other way actually changes the game MORE than just formally making TDs worth 7 and integrating the +1/-1 idea. So in some ways I am against drastic changes.
I agree. The +1/-1 idea really doesn't change the game apart from removing boring and useless plays.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #129
Impact Rookie
 
Skinzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 692
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You can take that BS somewhere else .I like the game like it is ,yes ,so effing what ?Really because a bunch of bored wanna bees(most are drunk in front of their TVs) get tired of something....the whole game should change ,no ,not buying into it .
So why have a kicker ,for the thinking that I see in the posts here we don't need kickoffs either yes or no .
When Goodell has changed other things, you were one of the guys to defend his every action. This also isnt a bunch of drunk wanna be's leading this cause, this is the NFL and Goodell wanting it changed.

Even if they get rid of kickoffs, you still need someone to kick FG's. Or are you saying they should get rid of those? Since not having a kicker at all means just that, no FG's.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #130
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
If they get rid of the extra point they are going to have some type of extra play. They don't want to lose commercial time by getting rid of a TV timeout.

BTW I hate the change, No need for it.
What's next QB kneel downs?

It's a part of the game, getting rid of it does not make the game better or safer. There is still a chance at a botched snap or shanked kick.

What about getting rid of the hail mary and qb spike to kill the clock? not needed so why not change it? don't answer I'm just being a dick.

There is no reason to change it!
How about focus on fixing officiating errors and and come up with a for players to play defense without getting roughing penalties.

These little bullshit changes are nothing more than Goodell trying to keep the press of the refs.
Taking the kick out would actually allow for MORE commercial time.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #131
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You can take that BS somewhere else .I like the game like it is ,yes ,so effing what ?Really because a bunch of bored wanna bees(most are drunk in front of their TVs) get tired of something....the whole game should change ,no ,not buying into it .
So why have a kicker ,for the thinking that I see in the posts here we don't need kickoffs either yes or no .
The whole game? No. The one play in a football game that is perfectly useless? Yes.

And that IS an nonobjective argument. I still haven't seen one single explanation of WHY the PAT should be retained other than "behhhhh!!! don't change!!!! change bad!" That is literally what the argument for keeping it comes down to.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #132
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,237
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Based solely on the Redskins' 2013 Special Teams performance, I'm in favor of eliminating all kicking plays.
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #133
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,888
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
The whole game? No. The one play in a football game that is perfectly useless? Yes.

And that IS an nonobjective argument. I still haven't seen one single explanation of WHY the PAT should be retained other than "behhhhh!!! don't change!!!! change bad!" That is literally what the argument for keeping it comes down to.
History repeats itself probably. I'm sure a lot of changes to the game over the years have been unpopular.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #134
The Starter
 
donofriose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,838
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Based solely on the Redskins' 2013 Special Teams performance, I'm in favor of eliminating all kicking plays.
Based on their performance on offense and defense, they should just stop playing NFL football. That would save me 3 hours on Sunday.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #135
Impact Rookie
 
hagams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Age: 35
Posts: 898
Re: Roger Goodell says NFL considering eliminating extra point

They shouldn't remove it, however I have found myself walking to the cooler to grab a beer as soon as we score the TD. Extra points, are boring, and an easy point. Move the kick back to the 20 or 25 yard line. I like what Bilichek said about it. "Touchdowns are 7 points now, not 6". It's virtually a free point.
__________________
We are always superbowl contenders in March!!! HTTR!!!!!!!!
hagams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29749 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25