Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

We currently have needs all over the team, in this discussion give your opinion of whether the position of need should be filled by a Rookie from the draft or a veteran available in free agency and why.

For example: I think the Safety position should be filled by a veteran player. I would like to see us sign Jairus Byrd or Donte Whitner. JB is the best safety available and Whitner is aggressive and set a tone for the secondary that has been missing. I would not draft a rookie safety because we drafted two last year.

Positions of Need (If you didn't know):

WR
TE (2nd string)
T
G
DE
NT
ILB
OLB
CB
FS
SS
P
PR\KR
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,131
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

WR - Impact rookie
TE (2nd string) - Vet
T - Rookie
G - Rookie
DE - Either
NT - If we're staying in 3-4 are there really any true, good NTs? Vet
ILB - Rookie
OLB - If we let Orakpo go, probably gonna need a vet, otherwise, rookie
CB - Vet
FS - Vet
SS - Vet
P - Vet
PR\KR - Either
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Would a rookie tandem at Guard and Tackle work? That is one half of you line adjusting to the NFL. Also the 4 or 5 best tackles can be taken before our first selection. I would maybe fill the tackle position in FA and draft a guard.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,911
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

I don't care where they come from, they have to have ability. When you lock yourself into a decision like this you end up forcing a decision that ends up back firing on you.
Square peg in a round hole.
Defensewins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

This kid Aaron Donald from Pitt sounds like a beast. He is under sized but is aggressive. I wouldn't mind taking him in the second and Chris Borland or Shayne Skov in the 3rd. Although there would be a size disadvantage with both Borland and Donald on the field at the same time.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

One I'll chime in on is going to be the returner.

We've been struggling to fill this spot for years with rookies and young players. At this point I think we should just pay a proven return man and have it settled for sure. Jacoby Jones or Dexter McCluster would fit nicely.


FAILED EXPERIMENTS in past years:
*Brandon Banks
*Devin Thomas
*Marcus Mason
*Terrence Austin
*Byron Westbrook
*Anthony Armstrong
*Niles Paul
*Aldrick Robinson
*Evan Royster
*Richard Crawford (although he may still be an option if not needed on D)
*Chris Thompson
*Nick Williams


All were young players who weren't able to step up and be the man on returns, except for Crawford who won a game for us but then was injured. Joshua Morgan was our other attempt and he was just serviceable at best.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
One I'll chime in on is going to be the returner.

We've been struggling to fill this spot for years with rookies and young players. At this point I think we should just pay a proven return man and have it settled for sure. Jacoby Jones or Dexter McCluster would fit nicely.


FAILED EXPERIMENTS in past years:
*Brandon Banks
*Devin Thomas
*Marcus Mason
*Terrence Austin
*Byron Westbrook
*Anthony Armstrong
*Niles Paul
*Aldrick Robinson
*Evan Royster
*Richard Crawford (although he may still be an option if not needed on D)
*Chris Thompson
*Nick Williams


All were young players who weren't able to step up and be the man on returns, except for Crawford who won a game for us but then was injured. Joshua Morgan was our other attempt and he was just serviceable at best.
I think I'll be happiest of all of the names mentioned here and around the site about free agents if we sign McCluster. We haven't had a quality return man since Brian Mitchell. Think about it, James Thrash? Randle-Fail? Banks? Some of the names listed above are just pathetic. I think we must lead the league the past 20 years in players who are finish the season on our roster and are then out of the NFL completely the following opening day.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,850
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
Would a rookie tandem at Guard and Tackle work? That is one half of you line adjusting to the NFL. Also the 4 or 5 best tackles can be taken before our first selection. I would maybe fill the tackle position in FA and draft a guard.
A rookie guard and tackle on the same side sounds like a disaster to me.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
One I'll chime in on is going to be the returner.

We've been struggling to fill this spot for years with rookies and young players. At this point I think we should just pay a proven return man and have it settled for sure. Jacoby Jones or Dexter McCluster would fit nicely.
I think that we have not targeted Special teams guys who do only special teams. Shanahan seemed to think any fast guy could be a kick returner. WRONG!!

I would like us to draft a player like Dri Archer who has blazing speed and would understand that his role is being the KR\PR.

Brandon Banks was a good return man, he just lost focus on his job. Do you agree?
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I think I'll be happiest of all of the names mentioned here and around the site about free agents if we sign McCluster. We haven't had a quality return man since Brian Mitchell. Think about it, James Thrash? Randle-Fail? Banks? Some of the names listed above are just pathetic. I think we must lead the league the past 20 years in players who are finish the season on our roster and are then out of the NFL completely the following opening day.
Returners and kickers until we found Kai have been a revolving door for a LONG time.

I still can't explain what happened to Randle El. He was great with the Steelers, then just lost it when he suited up for us.


Glad we solved that issue at the QB position finally. Theismann was our last legitimate franchise QB. Williams and Rypien had great years, but didn't last long.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,850
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I think that we have not targeted Special teams guys who do only special teams. Shanahan seemed to think any fast guy could be a kick returner. WRONG!!

I would like us to draft a player like Dri Archer who has blazing speed and would understand that his role is being the KR\PR.

Brandon Banks was a good return man, he just lost focus on his job. Do you agree?
I don't think he was any good to be honest, good straight line speed but no vision. The fact he's now in the CFL says something.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

He was fast and a small tackling target.

He also struggled against starting-caliber players apparently, hence all of the preseason success that never carried over into the real games.

I was rooting for him as a small guy to make it in the NFL, but he just didn't have it.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

Positions of Need (If you didn't know):

WR-Decker, Edleman, Hakeem Nicks
TE-Andrew Quarless
T-Draft
G-Vet FA
DE-Lamarr Houston, Jason Hatcher
NT-Al Woods
ILB-Dekoda Watson, Donald Butler
OLB-Orakpo
CB-Hall, Biggers
FS-Draft + Meriweather/Charles Woodson
SS-Doughty+Gumbs
P
PR\KR-Draft
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
Special Teams
 
whistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

WR Vet and Draft
TE (2nd string) Draft or rookie free agent
T Draft
G Draft and cheap vet
DE Draft
NT Draft
ILB Draft
OLB Vet
CB Draft
FS Vet
SS Vet
P Vet
PR\KR Vet

Since they have early picks every round they could trade down in a round and pick up an extra pick or two.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,455
Re: Rookie or Vet- who goes where?

I like TJ Ward better than Byrd, I've seen more highlights on Ward than Byrd.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28427 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25