Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #31
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,060
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
eh, more of a disgruntle employee. there were questions if he was really hurt early in the year and just chose not to play.

Its clear that Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, I hope we dont fall for that trap.
Or he has earned that check and he really was hurt.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #32
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,060
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Wish list.



DEFENSE:

FS Mike Mitchell (play Thomas or Rambo at SS, Hall is backup FS if Mitchell goes down)

backup FS plans - Major Wright, , Chris Clemons, Louis Delmas


CB Alterraun Verner (start with Hall, Amerson starts if Hall plays FS),

backup CB plabns - Sam Shields, Captain Munnerlyn (who can also return kicks), Corey Graham


NT/DT - BJ Raji, Paul Soliai, Alex Carrington, Corey Peters

ILB - D'Qwell Jackson, Wesley Woodyard, Pat Angerer, Akeem Jordan,





OFFENSE:


WR - Emmannuel Sanders (will be WR2 behind Garcon)

WR/KR - Jacoby Jones (will be WR3, McCluster is likely staying in KC, they have the money)



T - GO after Eugene Monroe! The #1 tackle available and Baltimore did not tag him!

If we get him, do we move Trent to RT?



Backup plans at RT - Roger Saffold, Anthiny Collins, Breno Giacomini (was Seattle's Zone-Option RT), Zach Strief.


Guard - Jon Asamoah, Travelle Wharton, Chad Rinehart, Zane Beadles.
Why would you move the best LT to RT?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #33
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,626
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Or he has earned that check and he really was hurt.
He's a great player, im just really concerned about giving him a ton a money.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,731
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

I'll never hold it against a player looking to get paid on their 2nd contract. It's the one shot to really cash in. Some players yeah, you need to be concerned about how they will play once they get that big payday (see Haynesworthless).

Is Byrd one of them? I really don't know much about the guy off the field. I can see where he's probably frustrated in Buffalo, for many reasons.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #35
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,626
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

We just had a week long discussion about Rak getting a very large guarenteed contract with a lot of disagreement. One thing about Rak, he gives 110%. Byrd would demand a contract just as large. That cap room would close very quickly and we have a ton of holes to fill and no #1 draft pick.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #36
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
I would give Byrd a similar deal to Eric Weddle/Eric Berry which would be a little less than 10 million a year (average). If he thinks he is worth more than that and another team wants to pay that much to him, then I would be more than happy to let him go if I was Allen.

Set your value, and do not exceed it. No need to just fall in love with Byrd and let him dictate the terms.
Agree w this. I think that $ would be about right for Byrd. I bet it gets it done.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #37
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
We just had a week long discussion about Rak getting a very large guarenteed contract with a lot of disagreement. One thing about Rak, he gives 110%. Byrd would demand a contract just as large. That cap room would close very quickly and we have a ton of holes to fill and no #1 draft pick.
But Byrd doesn't just fill one hole, he would make the entire defense better. By turning the weakest link on the D into one of the strongest, at the most pivotal position, all of a sudden we're a possible top 10 D.

I truly believe that's the impact of a big rangy FS in Haslett's defense.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #38
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,626
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But Byrd doesn't just fill one hole, he would make the entire defense better. By turning the weakest link on the D into one of the strongest, at the most pivotal position, all of a sudden we're a possible top 10 D.

I truly believe that's the impact of a big rangy FS in Haslett's defense.
FS is pivotal for our defense, I agree. I dont think he just changes everything. We need a tackling ILB, something Fletch couldnt get done last year. We need Riley back. We need a SS who can tackle as well. Byrd doesnt fix those problems in the middle.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #39
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,731
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

It's not like signing Byrd and Rak to long term deals is out of the question. Gotta remember the first few years of the deals would be fairly reasonable hits against the cap.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Coverage and pass rush certainly benefit each other. But for the specific defense that Haslett likes to run, even if the pass rush is great the coverage will break down regardless. Orakpo and Kerrigan both had good years, yet our defense left a lot to be desired. Sure you could get more pass rushers from the DL spot, but the way Haslett likes to get pressure is by blitzing in various forms.

Here's how a very fast FS allows Haslett to do his thing:

- the fast FS is capable of covering the gap left behind when a SS blitzes

- the fast FS is capable of covering the gap left behind on the seam route when a middle LB blitzes - the fast FS can successfully walk the line between covering the deep middle and covering the seam route, whereas a slower FS really has to choose either/or

- the fast FS lets the CBs play an off-zone the way it's meant to be played, with eyes on the QB ready to jump the route. Inevitably some of those gambles will go wrong, and the safety needs to be there to save the day.

- the fast FS just straight up reduces the risk of the long ball when a CB just gets flat burned

These are all reasons why we still miss Sean Taylor dearly. We'd be an entirely different defense.

If Haslett played a Tampa 2 then safety's not that important a position. Or if he played a conservative stop-run-first scheme like Blache always did, safety isn't as important. But to blitz and play soft-zone coverages, it's crucial.
Nice breakdown, thanks. I am not opposed to Byrd by any means. My preference is to spread the wealth among multiple players but if the end result is a better, more effective (ie. fewer points against) defense, I'm in!
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #41
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,596
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
eh, more of a disgruntle employee. there were questions if he was really hurt early in the year and just chose not to play.

Its clear that Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, I hope we dont fall for that trap.
Unless Byrd's goal is to be highest paid player in NFL, I think it's more of Byrd wanting to get out of Bills. I remember reading an article a couple of days ago, Bills offered Byrd a contract that would make him highest paid FS in NFL and he declined it.

I would not be oppose to the idea of pursuing after Byrd
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #42
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Defense Targets:

Tyson Jackson
Linval Joseph
Erin Henderson
Brandon Spike
Aqib Talib
Jarius Byrd
Michael Mitchell

Offense Targets:
Andre Roberts
Emmanuel Sanders
Anthony Collins
Geoff Schwartz
Brian De la Puente
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #43
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,233
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Byrd is still talking to Buffalo and he says he's open to other possibilities, as well. He's going to be very well paid by some team other than the Redskins.

There have been rumors that Cleveland has made him their #1 FA target. His former DC is now the HC there and they have both cap space and an owner who is willing to spend.

If a team like Oakland, which has $64MM in cap space, or Indy, which has $40M in cap space, decides they want him, then they can probably get him.

We just have too many other needs to sign Byrd. Besides, our safeties were so bad last year that if we sign Mike Mitchell, Chris Clemons, Antoine Bethea, or some other decent, reasonably priced safety, we'll be greatly improved at that position without eating up a very large portion of our cap space.

I would say that the probability of the Skins signing Byrd is less than 5%.
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #44
The Starter
 
Mechanix544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 2,277
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Byrd is still talking to Buffalo and he says he's open to other possibilities, as well. He's going to be very well paid by some team other than the Redskins.

There have been rumors that Cleveland has made him their #1 FA target. His former DC is now the HC there and they have both cap space and an owner who is willing to spend.

If a team like Oakland, which has $64MM in cap space, or Indy, which has $40M in cap space, decides they want him, then they can probably get him.

We just have too many other needs to sign Byrd. Besides, our safeties were so bad last year that if we sign Mike Mitchell, Chris Clemons, Antoine Bethea, or some other decent, reasonably priced safety, we'll be greatly improved at that position without eating up a very large portion of our cap space.

I would say that the probability of the Skins signing Byrd is less than 5%.
Nah, I'd say the actual percentage is around 8.44782%. You are way off.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #45
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,625
Re: Free Agency Begins in a Week, Whats the Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Unless Byrd's goal is to be highest paid player in NFL, I think it's more of Byrd wanting to get out of Bills. I remember reading an article a couple of days ago, Bills offered Byrd a contract that would make him highest paid FS in NFL and he declined it.

I would not be oppose to the idea of pursuing after Byrd
Byrd turned down an offer from the bills that looked to be in the 30M/three year range. I expect he is looking for 35-40M in guarantees. Maybe not the most in the NFL, certainly the highest paid (substantially) safety.

Others think he is worth that. I have my doubts that we can't do fine with a substantially less costly option. Quite frankly, almost any reasonable amount spent will purchase an upgrade over last year's performance at the position.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29715 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25