Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Redskins Locker Room


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #271
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,378
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Yeah, people are WAY too invested in caring about Mitchell, like he was destined for here. Nevermind the mixed reviews of him last season, which was his best, Twitter said he was a priority so we HAVE TO HAVE HIM!

Anyways, as long as the position is addressed with someone other than/better than Merriweather or Doughty then I'm fine trusting the process.

As for T. Jackson, why are people excited about him? Hasn't seen an NFL regular season snap since 2011. Probably a wine cooler away from a full lifetime ban. Are we THAT desperate for someone else to play safety?
Clearly yes.
CRedskinsRule is online now  

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #272
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,910
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

That's a truly sad state of affairs that the mere hope of what Jackson could be represents a tangible upgrade from what we have. Don't get me wrong, we need better players but I won't feel an iota more comfortable with him on the roster than I did with Merriweather, Doughty, Rambo and Gumbs. He's on their level or worse.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #273
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,517
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Once Jackson is officially let go, then we can completely dismiss him. Until then there's still a chance, even if it's remote. The guy is 28, could still have some good ball left in him.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #274
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,075
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Yeah, people are WAY too invested in caring about Mitchell, like he was destined for here. Nevermind the mixed reviews of him last season, which was his best, Twitter said he was a priority so we HAVE TO HAVE HIM!

Anyways, as long as the position is addressed with someone other than/better than Merriweather or Doughty then I'm fine trusting the process.

As for T. Jackson, why are people excited about him? Hasn't seen an NFL regular season snap since 2011. Probably a wine cooler away from a full lifetime ban. Are we THAT desperate for someone else to play safety?
I just find it hard to believe Ryan Clark was the fall back. Thats the problem, apperently we thought he was destined to be here. Really Bruce?
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #275
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,358
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
That's a truly sad state of affairs that the mere hope of what Jackson could be represents a tangible upgrade from what we have. Don't get me wrong, we need better players but I won't feel an iota more comfortable with him on the roster than I did with Merriweather, Doughty, Rambo and Gumbs. He's on their level or worse.
He was a solid player when he played, i'm sure he's been working out. He needs to get back in football shape and attend every training session, the key is when will he be reinstated.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #276
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,442
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
He was a solid player when he played, i'm sure he's been working out. He needs to get back in football shape and attend every training session, the key is when will he be reinstated.
Apparently the key is when will he show up for piss tests.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #277
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,517
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I just find it hard to believe Ryan Clark was the fall back. Thats the problem, apperently we thought he was destined to be here. Really Bruce?
It was probably more like Mitchell and Byrd (just not at his price), and now on to plan C. Stop gap vets, and wait and see who might get released. Then look to the draft.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #278
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,442
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Yeah, people are WAY too invested in caring about Mitchell, like he was destined for here. Nevermind the mixed reviews of him last season, which was his best, Twitter said he was a priority so we HAVE TO HAVE HIM!

Anyways, as long as the position is addressed with someone other than/better than Merriweather or Doughty then I'm fine trusting the process.

As for T. Jackson, why are people excited about him? Hasn't seen an NFL regular season snap since 2011. Probably a wine cooler away from a full lifetime ban. Are we THAT desperate for someone else to play safety?
You make a good point about Mitchell.

But otherwise, when did we last see average (not good, just average) FS play? It's been years.

When did we last see average SS play? Outside of a few cameo appearances by Meriweather, it's been years.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #279
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,161
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Im no expert, but whose there in the second round? I heard a scout say on radio last week the draft was deep at alot of positions, safety was one of the least deep.
Certainly, this safety class isn't as deep as last year's, but there'll be some good ones available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Calvin Pryor from Louisville(possibly late 1st), Jimmie Ward from Northern Illinois, Deone Bucannon from Washington State, and Terrence Brooks from Florida State will all be drafted in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Pryor and Brooks would probably be our best bets among those listed, being free safeties. My favorite is Deone Bucannon; he's more of a strong safety.
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

MoveOn Petitions - Keep the Washington Redskins Name
SirLK26 is online now  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #280
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,158
I'd rather rely on Reed Doughty to start at Safety than rely on T Jax. The guy is a effing bum who can't pass a piss test to save his life. He hasn't played a single snap in 2 whole seasons. I am completely mind blown at how many times his name has been dropped in this thread and by people that seem to know wtf they are usually talking about.

And at the end of the day I don't want jackasses like this anywhere near my effing team. If smokin and jokin is his priorities then give him F Davis' # and been done w him already, good riddance.

#itsoooooooooverfortanard

#weneedsafetiesbaaaaaad

#iwantwinners
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #281
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 621
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

I'm sure we had sincere interest in Mitchell, but not enough to pay him 5mill per year. We are too many players away to outbid other teams. I'm glad the FO realizes it.
__________________
Chris Russell: "To clarify point I made on @ESPNRadio980 - clearly Mike Shanahan wanted Peyton Manning in '12. He also very much desired Russell Wilson."

Mike Shanahan never was able to get the players he wanted, lets all cry for him.
Evilgrin is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #282
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,070
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

If no news is good news, then we must be in great shape with Corey Graham and Antonio Smith. Have there been any updates?
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #283
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,442
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Certainly, this safety class isn't as deep as last year's, but there'll be some good ones available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Calvin Pryor from Louisville(possibly late 1st), Jimmie Ward from Northern Illinois, Deone Bucannon from Washington State, and Terrence Brooks from Florida State will all be drafted in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Pryor and Brooks would probably be our best bets among those listed, being free safeties. My favorite is Deone Bucannon; he's more of a strong safety.
Pryor likely will go in the 1st and we will likely have to trade up to get him.

The other choices you listed are ok, but are developmental players who likely won't start in 2014. We still need a FS for 2014.

Perhaps we will see a viable FS in the draft fallout: given that the draft is richer this year, it stands to reason that June 1 vet cuts will be richer than ever.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #284
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 29
Posts: 4,051
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

have you looked at the available safeties? not much out there...
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #285
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,070
Re: Redskins Free Agents Signings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin View Post
I'm sure we had sincere interest in Mitchell, but not enough to pay him 5mill per year. We are too many players away to outbid other teams. I'm glad the FO realizes it.
I disagree completely.

In this safety market, $5MM/yr. was a good price for him. Remember, we would have probably paid him $3.5MM in the first year, with one player dropping out of the Top 51 at approximately $500K, so that would have been around a $3MM cap hit this year.

Plus, we have no decent safeties! We should have outbid the Steelers in this case. Bottom line: the FO failed to land the quality young safety that we need.
__________________
Hope Springs Eternal
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30532 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25