Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Jim Haslett

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #16
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,113
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Shanahan made defensive calls in critical situations? I missed that memo. If thats was the case i owe Shantinhishand a few more mofo's.
Yes....it was reported by Mike Jones of the Washington Post after Mike Shanahan was fired.........namely in 2011 in the game vs. Dallas on 3rd & 19....Haslett wanted to call cover 3.....instead Mike Shanahan called an all out blitz.....Romo eluded the rush and found Dez Bryant 21 yards downfield for a backbreaking first down.......there were other instances......
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
The Starter
 
REDSKINS4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Born and raised in D.C.....but I'm a New Yorker now....
Posts: 2,113
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dull Roar View Post
I would have lost a lost of the faith i have in Bruce Allen

I'm pretty okay with Haslett having one more shot at being DC without any impeding factors (allegedly Mike Shanahan) to prove his worth. Hopefully we're all pleasantly surprised.
Oh come on....you would lose faith in Bruce Allen if Haslett was named HC? What if Haslett was indeed given the head coaching job and the Redskins started winning games? For his coaching career Haslett is 45-61.....but those Rams and Saints teams that he coached were bad teams when he was hired as HC in both New Orleans and St. Louis.......but with the Redskins the whole team, the defensive players in particular respect Haslett.....I may be a bigger fan of Haslett than most of you guys...but I think he would make a decent head coach....
__________________
Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,218
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Oh come on....you would lose faith in Bruce Allen if Haslett was named HC? What if Haslett was indeed given the head coaching job and the Redskins started winning games? For his coaching career Haslett is 45-61.....but those Rams and Saints teams that he coached were bad teams when he was hired as HC in both New Orleans and St. Louis.......but with the Redskins the whole team, the defensive players in particular respect Haslett.....I may be a bigger fan of Haslett than most of you guys...but I think he would make a decent head coach....
Good teams don't need head coaches. Any coach that takes over a team needs to come in and fix the issues. That's their job. It is not easy, but good coaches find a way. I still don't like that Haslett is in DC. We should have gone out and gotten Jim Schwartz to run the defense.

Perhaps Shanahan overruled Haslett from time to time. That's his perogative as a head coach. Unless Shanahan was doing it constantly, I don't think Haslett is off the hook. I just don't find his defenses very effective, regardless of where he's coaching. They seem to lack aggressiveness and leads to the slow, painful losses we're all so accustomed to here in DC.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,443
Re: Jim Haslett

I tend to believe that Haslett is simply not a top notch DC, with or w/out Shanahan. Some guys ( like Greg Williams and Rob Ryan) can just come in, mix and match and make improvements right away. I think what's most frustrating about his defenses is the tackling issue. Do they teach these guys how to tackle anymore? I know it's a league wide issue. The guys on Seattle and SF? They wrap up and tackle.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #20
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,341
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I tend to believe that Haslett is simply not a top notch DC, with or w/out Shanahan. Some guys ( like Greg Williams and Rob Ryan) can just come in, mix and match and make improvements right away. I think what's most frustrating about his defenses is the tackling issue. Do they teach these guys how to tackle anymore? I know it's a league wide issue. The guys on Seattle and SF? They wrap up and tackle.
Well, why did we sign guys who were chronic bad tacklers before they got here like Brandon Merriweather and EJ Biggers? Or draft players who didnt tackle well in college like Rambo?

Thats on Bruce and the coaching staff
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #21
Impact Rookie
 
Gary84Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 771
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Well, why did we sign guys who were chronic bad tacklers before they got here like Brandon Merriweather and EJ Biggers? Or draft players who didnt tackle well in college like Rambo?

That's on Bruce and the coaching staff
Rambo has got's to go.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,368
Re: Jim Haslett

My main beef with Haslett is his lack of halftime adjustments. Jimmy is no Richie Petitbone.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #23
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,293
Re: Jim Haslett

This thread, and most of the opinions in it, don't make much sense to me.

First, let's acknowledge the obvious, we gave up a shit-ton of points last year, giving up 478 points good for 30th in the league. But remember special teams contributed to that fiasco, giving up multiple returns for TD in addition to bad field position thanks to having the lowest number of kickoffs go for touchbacks. So I think you have to judge the defense last year on yards.

The team of course was horrible last year to start when Chip Kelly's Eagles came out and destroyed us to start the season, then Green Bay and Detroit went ape on us too. And then in weeks 7 we gave up a ton to Denver (who didn't?). But Haslett definitely got things fixed. In our first 8 games, we gave up 399 yards per game. In the last 8, 309 yards per game. If you want to break the season into 4-game chunks:

First 4: 441 yds per game
Second 4: 357 yds per game
Third 4: 325 yds per game
Last 4: 294 yds per game

That is significant improvement. It led to some improvement in points allowed, we averaged 32 allowed in the first 8, and averaged 28 allowed in the last 8 - and that was despite averaging an incredible 4 turnovers a game on offense in the last four games to end the season (Cousins + fumbles).

Haslett was able to get that improvement despite a very thin secondary. I think we still have questions about our secondary - is Clark really an improvement and is Amerson really ready to start full time, etc. But I think we're in better shape than last season. Our pass rush is certainly better with Hatcher and Murphy there for depth/rotations.

Haslett is definitely still a strong defensive coach, that's why he was kept. You can't lay the 30th ranking in points allowed entirely at his feet. Shanahan ignored special teams when building the roster, when he put Cousins in the team turned the ball over more, and yes he overruled Haslett at times.

For Haslett's D to work best he needs a playmaking safety and the reins taken off when it comes to rushing the passer. I like our passrushers. Not sure about safety. But that's not on the coach. Getting rid of Has would have been throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,341
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This thread, and most of the opinions in it, don't make much sense to me.

First, let's acknowledge the obvious, we gave up a shit-ton of points last year, giving up 478 points good for 30th in the league. But remember special teams contributed to that fiasco, giving up multiple returns for TD in addition to bad field position thanks to having the lowest number of kickoffs go for touchbacks. So I think you have to judge the defense last year on yards.

The team of course was horrible last year to start when Chip Kelly's Eagles came out and destroyed us to start the season, then Green Bay and Detroit went ape on us too. And then in weeks 7 we gave up a ton to Denver (who didn't?). But Haslett definitely got things fixed. In our first 8 games, we gave up 399 yards per game. In the last 8, 309 yards per game. If you want to break the season into 4-game chunks:

First 4: 441 yds per game
Second 4: 357 yds per game
Third 4: 325 yds per game
Last 4: 294 yds per game

That is significant improvement. It led to some improvement in points allowed, we averaged 32 allowed in the first 8, and averaged 28 allowed in the last 8 - and that was despite averaging an incredible 4 turnovers a game on offense in the last four games to end the season (Cousins + fumbles).

Haslett was able to get that improvement despite a very thin secondary. I think we still have questions about our secondary - is Clark really an improvement and is Amerson really ready to start full time, etc. But I think we're in better shape than last season. Our pass rush is certainly better with Hatcher and Murphy there for depth/rotations.

Haslett is definitely still a strong defensive coach, that's why he was kept. You can't lay the 30th ranking in points allowed entirely at his feet. Shanahan ignored special teams when building the roster, when he put Cousins in the team turned the ball over more, and yes he overruled Haslett at times.

For Haslett's D to work best he needs a playmaking safety and the reins taken off when it comes to rushing the passer. I like our passrushers. Not sure about safety. But that's not on the coach. Getting rid of Has would have been throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Good post. I certainly think Has is certainly culpable for that start out the gate though, even he got the team to improve quartally that is really the only positive. He doesnt deserve an extension for that performance last year.

This is a prove it year, no more excuses. I hope he can get the team to play better on 3rd downs and red zone D. I say go agressive
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,400
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Good teams don't need head coaches. Any coach that takes over a team needs to come in and fix the issues. That's their job. It is not easy, but good coaches find a way. I still don't like that Haslett is in DC. We should have gone out and gotten Jim Schwartz to run the defense.

Perhaps Shanahan overruled Haslett from time to time. That's his perogative as a head coach. Unless Shanahan was doing it constantly, I don't think Haslett is off the hook. I just don't find his defenses very effective, regardless of where he's coaching. They seem to lack aggressiveness and leads to the slow, painful losses we're all so accustomed to here in DC.
Please explain the 2012 season for the N.O. aints.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #26
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,218
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Please explain the 2012 season for the N.O. aints.
Their head coach got suspended and they were relatively bad? Not sure what you want me to explain.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #27
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Jim Haslett

I think there's legitimate reason to question Haslett's performance as DC- mainly based on the bad 2013 season that the Redskins had on defense.

The main reasons that Haslett is still with the Redskins are familiarity, respect, and a sense of mentorship with Jay Gruden. This only goes so far and ultimately the only thing that matters in the end is the performance of the defensive unit - especially after Gruden's first season as head coach. Whether it's fair or not, Haslett will be judged solely on this (defensive performance/production). Personally, I think it should be this way.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #28
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Their head coach got suspended and they were relatively bad? Not sure what you want me to explain.
Are you saying that all a team needs is talented players?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #29
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,293
Re: Jim Haslett

I think there are a lot of coordinators capable of coaching a Superbowl team, but they can't do it without talented players. Haslett is one such coach.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #30
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,520
Re: Jim Haslett

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Please explain the 2012 season for the N.O. aints.
Yeah, I have to agree with that. I think the head coach can make or break a team no matter the talent level. You can't just plug any ol' coach in as a head coach even if he's got a team full of Hall of Famers. There's so much that goes into head coaching. People think he just stands on the side lines and calls time outs while letting his coordinators do all the work - can't be any further from the truth.

At the same time, I DO think there are some coordinators in this league that can manage a good team well enough to keep them winning - maybe because they're head coaching material to begin with?
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31242 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25