Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Let's talk OTA's

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #91
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,882
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Just an FYI, games are 4 quarters, not 1. I think in the end, Seattle showed they were the better team, healthy RG3 or not.
I think the bolded part is extremely questionable.
I think everyone agrees that Griffin tweaked his knee at the end of the 1st quarter, on our 2nd scoring drive. After that, many of Griffin's throws were less sharp, and the offense ground to a halt.
Our first two drives were
80 yds and 54yds, both ending in TDs.

Our next 6 drives were
13yds, punt,
3yds, long underthrown INT(imo not happening if the knee isn't tweaked earlier),
23yds punt,
4yds punt,
17 yds punt,
-19 yds, Griffin collapsed, and the fumble.

Just as importantly, our first two drives had 11minutes time of possession, the next 6 had a combined 12 minutes.

During those 6 failed drives, the Skins gave up 2 TDs and 2 field goals. I think it's not irrational to think that a healthy Griffin could have led to at least 1 more score, and probably more.

oh well. Let's hope we see some redemption this year.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #92
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,030
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
When in doubt, roll out petty semantics!

I'm sure most of you became fans during the glory years, when we were a great team. According to you, that makes all those fans that jumped on during that time, rational. And sure, the Redskins have sucked recently and we continue to be fans, which you cited as a reason for us being irrational, but in fact, not changing teams only makes us rational, due to understanding that once you're attached to a team, you can't wholly change. Thus, the vast majority of Redskins fans are, in fact, rational. The only ones that aren't are the ones saying we're one of the best NFC teams, those who say we'll go winless this season, and the bandwagoners from 2012 who are still hoping that the team they're not fully attached to yet will become good again(probably none of these variety left. LOL.). BA-DUM-BUM KSSSSSH!
The bolded statement in itself is irrational, based on an emotive rather than reasoned argument. A purely rational person is never "attached" to a team as you describe, as the most gratifying (and hence rational) approach is to root for the winner, whomever that might be.

More to the original argument, I understand Schneed's objections. I come to the Warpath rather than some other place because I find the arguments here are more reasoned. It is a good thing to be able to see past the rose-colored glasses when you can.

At the same time, to expect fans to never have irrational attachments seems like expecting a squid not to have tentacles. To be a devoted fan is to embrace a measure of irrationality by definition.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #93
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,030
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
if I like Pi am I an irrational fan?
Pi needs therapy since it has been nothing but irrational for a long time. Blueberry Pi, however, is entirely rational.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #94
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,815
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Everyone just needs to be more patient, as painful as that sounds. I expect 7 to 9 wins this year. The division is up for grabs. I think this can be a division winning 9 to 10 win team. To me that's a realistic goal.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #95
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,232
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Everyone just needs to be more patient, as painful as that sounds. I expect 7 to 9 wins this year. The division is up for grabs. I think this can be a division winning 9 to 10 win team. To me that's a realistic goal.
I agree with the last sentence, I dont think it would surprise anyone if anybody outside of Dallas won the division.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #96
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,551
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The bolded statement in itself is irrational, based on an emotive rather than reasoned argument. A purely rational person is never "attached" to a team as you describe, as the most gratifying (and hence rational) approach is to root for the winner, whomever that might be.<snip>
Well then. I guess I am an irrational person. Weird, because I thought I was being so rational in this whole debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Everyone just needs to be more patient, as painful as that sounds. I expect 7 to 9 wins this year. The division is up for grabs. I think this can be a division winning 9 to 10 win team. To me that's a realistic goal.
This.
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

Keep the name.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #97
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,366
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The bolded statement in itself is irrational, based on an emotive rather than reasoned argument. A purely rational person is never "attached" to a team as you describe, as the most gratifying (and hence rational) approach is to root for the winner, whomever that might be.

More to the original argument, I understand Schneed's objections. I come to the Warpath rather than some other place because I find the arguments here are more reasoned. It is a good thing to be able to see past the rose-colored glasses when you can.

At the same time, to expect fans to never have irrational attachments seems like expecting a squid not to have tentacles. To be a devoted fan is to embrace a measure of irrationality by definition.
Agreed. I'm sure I've been guilty of that at some point. I remember acting quite "irrationally" after Griffin ripped off that 76 yard TD run against the Vikings.

Just trying to correct for the egregious fanboy statements that sometimes get thrown around on the message boards. If we don't hold ourselves to that higher standard then our discussions will suck.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #98
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,366
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Everyone just needs to be more patient, as painful as that sounds. I expect 7 to 9 wins this year. The division is up for grabs. I think this can be a division winning 9 to 10 win team. To me that's a realistic goal.
Yeah, couldn't have said it better. There are plenty of reasons why you could pick us to win the division - rational ones too! But there are also plenty why you could pick against us - the roster/coach turnover and familiarity aspects being the biggest.

I'll be pissed if we're entirely uncompetitive, like 4-12. As long as we show that we're competitive and playing some meaningful December football, even if we miss the playoffs I'll be OK. The fanboy in me will die a little when we get eliminated, but in my head I know that's the likely situation.

But here's hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with our offense.

See, head and heart can coexist!
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #99
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,030
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah, couldn't have said it better. There are plenty of reasons why you could pick us to win the division - rational ones too! But there are also plenty why you could pick against us - the roster/coach turnover and familiarity aspects being the biggest.

I'll be pissed if we're entirely uncompetitive, like 4-12. As long as we show that we're competitive and playing some meaningful December football, even if we miss the playoffs I'll be OK. The fanboy in me will die a little when we get eliminated, but in my head I know that's the likely situation.

But here's hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with our offense.

See, head and heart can coexist!
I couldn't agree more. Well said.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #100
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,551
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Agreed. I'm sure I've been guilty of that at some point. I remember acting quite "irrationally" after Griffin ripped off that 76 yard TD run against the Vikings.<snip>
LOL. I went back and read the 2012 Vikings-Redskins gameday thread yesterday, and couldn't keep back the grins. The enthusiasm for Griffin was incredible, especially after that run. Wish I would've been on the board that year. Good times.

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...-game-day.html (The Officially Official Vikings at Redskins Game Day Thread)
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

Keep the name.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #101
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Let's talk OTA's

A lot of the statistical systems are going to favor the Redskins or Cowboys in the NFC East when they come out. It isn't unwarranted, but objective-based systems are always skeptical of teams that go from 4-12 one year to 10-6 like the Eagles did. The average team that jumps six wins in year X typically loses two wins in year X+1. Sometimes, it's more than two wins, see: the 2013 Washington Redskins.

Subjectively, the Eagles are the team to beat, even if you think they're a true talent .500 team (which I do). That .500 is going to get inflated by a weak division, and they might be able to scrape their way to 10 wins, if they are lucky

The Skins roster is weakened by three straight drafts where they were short on picks, but it's not 3-13 bad. It's a better roster than it showed last season.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #102
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,551
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
A lot of the statistical systems are going to favor the Redskins or Cowboys in the NFC East when they come out. It isn't unwarranted, but objective-based systems are always skeptical of teams that go from 4-12 one year to 10-6 like the Eagles did. The average team that jumps six wins in year X typically loses two wins in year X+1. Sometimes, it's more than two wins, see: the 2013 Washington Redskins.<snip>
That logic seems flawed. Wouldn't "objective-based systems" be even more skeptical of a 3-13 team improving enough to finish ahead of a 10-6 team? I'd think that any person as well as any statistical ranking system looking at the NFC East would say the Eagles are the clear favorite; unless, of course, you're looking at it subjectively with your homer glasses on. Even if the Eagles lost 2 wins, we'd have to gain 6 to finish ahead of them. That doesn't sound like objective thinking to me.

What am I missing?
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

Keep the name.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #103
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
That logic seems flawed. Wouldn't "objective-based systems" be even more skeptical of a 3-13 team improving enough to finish ahead of a 10-6 team? I'd think that any person as well as any statistical ranking system looking at the NFC East would say the Eagles are the clear favorite; unless, of course, you're looking at it subjectively with your homer glasses on. Even if the Eagles lost 2 wins, we'd have to gain 6 to finish ahead of them. That doesn't sound like objective thinking to me.

What am I missing?
That's the difference between data-driven analysis and non-data driven analysis.

The Eagles are going to be a pretty huge favorite among the former players and coaches. There's a lot of Cowboys' fatigue, the Redskins have a long history of struggling and changing coaches, and the Giants roster is pretty poor and doesn't offer a lot of hope.

In all honestly, the Eagles probably need to be considered the favorite, but it's a very slight favorite. Here's the thing: a lot of people who were impressed by Chip Kelly and the Eagles last year are going to predict their offense will be even better. Data-driven projections have 50 years of statistics that suggest that the Eagles offense will be worse than last year.

Those same projections are going to expect the Redskins to rebound offensively and the Cowboys to rebound defensively.

I do not think the Redskins are a better team than the Eagles. They aren't quite as good as the Eagles are offensively. But when projection sites run the numbers, it's going to come out closer between the Redskins and Eagles than many think.

In other words, the numbers suggest that the perception gap between the Redskins and Eagles is a lot larger than the actual gap between the two teams on offense. The Eagles are the best offensive team in the NFC East. But it is a legitimately bad defensive roster, and there's a lot of opportunity for other teams in the division to make gains on them.

Just like the Redskins, Cowboys, and Giants need a lot of internal development to catch the Eagles, the Eagles need a lot of internal development if they're going to win the NFC East again.

This is a different point, but I also think the projection systems are likely to overstate how close the Cowboys are to contention. It's hard to factor in Romo and Dez Bryant coming off back surgery into expectations. But that's a really bad sign for them over 16 games. It's asking a lot of those guys to come off offseason surgery, play a full season, and carry a team to the division title in doing so. Those guys are established veterans with a track record of consistent performance, in the eyes of the projections, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Cowboys to put it together in 2014 given the way the team relies on those two guys.

They both probably play in Week 1, but it's not Week 1 where I worry about them. It's weeks 11-17.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #104
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,232
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
That logic seems flawed. Wouldn't "objective-based systems" be even more skeptical of a 3-13 team improving enough to finish ahead of a 10-6 team? I'd think that any person as well as any statistical ranking system looking at the NFC East would say the Eagles are the clear favorite; unless, of course, you're looking at it subjectively with your homer glasses on. Even if the Eagles lost 2 wins, we'd have to gain 6 to finish ahead of them. That doesn't sound like objective thinking to me.

What am I missing?

While I get what you are saying completely, the Eagles did improve by 6 games this past season over 2012. Predictions are stupid always will be, but the great thing about the NFL is that you never know who will come outta nowhere and win their division, or who will fall from 13-3 to 4-12.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #105
The Starter
 
SirLK26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,551
Re: Let's talk OTA's

Great post, Gtripp. Not that I agree, because if what you say is the case, it seems a little screwed up to me. Just seems wrong to say that because history suggests the Eagles' offense will regress, they aren't the clear favorites. Do the stats also say that their defense isn't likely to improve? Do the stats say that our offense will improve enough to be equal to theirs even if theirs does regress? Do the stats say that our defense will improve?

I think that data-driven analyses aren't the best way to predict who finishes where in the division, for many reasons. They wouldn't take into account just how good Chip Kelly is at running an offense; in other words, these analyses would factor in all the teams' offenses throughout history run that were run by awful HCs and OCs, not just brilliant offensive gurus like Kelly. These data-driven analyses wouldn't take into account that the Eagles drafted a pass rusher in the 1st round and signed multiple safeties. They wouldn't take into account the fact that RG3 is more of an injury risk than most QBs. And they wouldn't take into account the point you brought out, that Romo and Dez have back issues.

Because of all that and obviously more, I think a non-data driven analysis by an objective person would provide the most accurate view in this situation. Because an analysis of that nature would take into account things that can't be measured. Or maybe I'm completely wrong; maybe your "cold hard fact driven analysis" would actually be more accurate due to the fact that all these things I mentioned are, in fact, too wishy-washy to matter; in other words, I have no idea if any of these things are true, will matter, or will happen, while data provides proof that a certain thing has a certain probabiity that it will actually happen, thus making it more reliable even without out taking into account things of a non-stat nature. Heck, I don't know.

BTW, I would be interested in seeing some of the data you mentioned, particularly the nugget that suggests that the Eagles' offense will regress.
__________________
"[Trent Murphy] is not going to stand there and be your b****. Be a gentleman, open doors for women, but when s*** hits the fan, he wants to whip you." - Jerry Murphy

Keep the name.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33880 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25