Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


This again

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #61
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisskin
If it's continuing to be an issue, just change the name. What's the big deal? I'm used to calling the team the Redskins, but I could just as easily call them the Parrots or the Hucksters or the Insert Name Here (if Snyder sells the naming rights as I'm sure he'll want to do).

And to say that this is the work of a few Native Americans, well its not like there are millions of NAs walking the streets. I happen to be good friends with a Native American, and he's none too pleased with the Redskins name. To try and sugarcoat it by saying that its a reference to war paint, well that's just insulting. Look up redskin in the dictionary, according to Websters its a noun and its "usually offensive".

That's good enough for me, but then again I'm not one to dictate how someone else should feel. All my memories are of the team, not the nickname. Changing it hurts us how?
The big deal is the millions of dollars that it would cost to change the name. If this was such a big issue that concerned so many Native Americans we would hear more about it . In the show I saw last year on this issue when they held a protest at the stadium ony one person showed up.To me that is not a stong show of support for all these so called millions it offends.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #62
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,753
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Actually, [for me] pacifism is a very very small part of this wimpy trend. For me, it revolves around the way the american citizen lives and they way they *believe* they should live.
What exactly do you mean?

We're too PC?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #63
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
What exactly do you mean?

We're too PC?
PC is part of it, but lifestyle is what I'm mostly referring to.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #64
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisskin
If it's continuing to be an issue, just change the name. What's the big deal? I'm used to calling the team the Redskins, but I could just as easily call them the Parrots or the Hucksters or the Insert Name Here (if Snyder sells the naming rights as I'm sure he'll want to do).

And to say that this is the work of a few Native Americans, well its not like there are millions of NAs walking the streets. I happen to be good friends with a Native American, and he's none too pleased with the Redskins name. To try and sugarcoat it by saying that its a reference to war paint, well that's just insulting. Look up redskin in the dictionary, according to Websters its a noun and its "usually offensive".

That's good enough for me, but then again I'm not one to dictate how someone else should feel. All my memories are of the team, not the nickname. Changing it hurts us how?
Well, it costs the team millions of dollars for one thing...even if the only thing you have to change is the name and not the symbols or colors. Personally, after thinking about this, I could live with a name change as long as it was related...maybe something like the Warriors, Seminoles, or change it back to the Braves. I could live with the team changing the symbol back to the spear and feather.

Wewhite2: When I say more important issues in this world, I'm talking about American jobs leaving our country, the high cost of gas and oil, fighting diseases. If you're going to pull the racial card out, you'd better accept the fact that racism isn't completely spawn from white people. I have been a near victim of a racial crime in my lifetime through no fault of my own. Racism is an ignorant thing, no doubt...but it's just as ignorant to assume that only one race is guilty of it.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #65
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,674
Re: This again

It admittedly does get increasingly difficult to pretend that the team's name does not have some other connotation. And the really cold fact is that, because Native Americans have been so marginalized in our society (once their society), that the offensiveness passes unnoticed because there is really no one around to hear the tree fall in the forest. Naturally, a name that gave that kind of depiction to Blacks or Puerto Ricans like me would get shouted down because there are enough people in that constituency with enough of a relevant voice sure to tell society that that is unacceptable.

Couple of ironies though. One is that the fact is that when you say the word "Redskins" in so-called mainstream U.S. society, what people think of first IS the football team, and NOT the ethnic group. Another is that research that an area law firm has done on behalf of the Danster reveals that Native Americans themselves throughout the years at all levels of sport have themselves named their teams Redskins. Plus there were the results of that Sports Illustrated poll I had posted earlier.

When people talked about "niggers" that word was laced with hatred and a misguided superiority at the time it was being said, with violence, lynchings, separate restrooms, back of the bus, you name it. But when we say the word Redskins today, there is no associated hatred or sense of supremacy vis a vis Native Americans; the word comes out of the mouth without any associated negative baggage. Sure, it is the same "word," but the substance is not the same at all. The prevailing argument is that we should dispense with the word because it is offensive and does not represent our society today. But since we know that it does not represent today's society, then the alleged offensive substance of the word has already been rendered meaningless ! Even on the team itself, I don't remember anyone thinking Mark Rypien was dumb or reviled as the quarterback because he was Native American; of course not. So, where is the real offensiveness? What was that we learned in school, "sticks and stones may break my bones..."

During the first Joe Gibbs era, and hopefully this one, as far as the Washington Redskins were concerned specifically to be called a "true Redskin" was a badge of honor in the sports world and in the local community, as it stood for humble guys who worked hard on the field with great teamwork and gave to the community off of it. It was hardly disparaging at all and really had nothing to do with offending Native Americans b/c again, Redskin conjured up the image of Darrell Green, not Sitting Bull.

As minority, I sometimes feel a bit perplexed that minorities in the U.S. would look so quickly to self-identify as hyphenated, and to marginalize themselves by choosing to direct their collective energy to take up the cause of being offended by labels and semantics.

There is oppression; there is discrimination; there is racism, yes yes yes, these are sad facts for which work still remains to be done. But for all the truly disadvantaged, it's guys like me, that through some dumb luck did happen to land at a good university, with all the same opportunities and advantages as those that are considered the not disadvantaged. And with that in front of us, placed on a level playing field, it just seems like the biggest disservice to the people that we claim to be outraged on behalf of, if what we did then is run ourselves off the road by grieving about offensive names, when we actually were being given the opportunity, not to protest outside the system or even grieve within it trying to advocate for our allotted "portion," but to truly become part of it, be the system itself, sit at the head of the table and reform and redefine it.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #66
The Starter
 
backrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 36.28 x 76.22
Age: 62
Posts: 1,812
Re: This again

I have been a Redskin fan since 1967-68, when I was only 16 years old. I have lived long enough to see that the name is now considered by some to be Politically incorrect. I know that LDS owns the rights to the team name "Warriors". Do I want a change, no, but I see the point by those whose heritage is degraded. It has been argued well in here that the name is really potentially offensive to some!

It is all about heritage, and pride. Should we respect others wishes? Absolutely, 100% of the time. Even if it is only a few Native Americans who do feel dis-respected. Could the Washington Redskins lose this court battle? Possibly, but the Native Americans who are offended, would have to prove harm was intended by the Washington Redskins. Then, we would all have to buy products reflective of the new team logo. So marketing would be boosted. That would not be a bad thing, after all, money makes the NFL go 'round!

Would it be easy for me to get used to a new team name? No, after all, I'm not young, and old dogs don't usually learn new tricks. Would I try to adjust if the name did change? Yes. After all, the Browns became the Ravens, the Oilers became the Titans, and both the Chiefs and the cowroids were formerly called by a different name. So change has happened, and precedent has already been set!

So, the question really becomes: If the Redskins are forced to change their name, will you adapt?
__________________
'37, '42, '83, '88, '92. Championship!
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #67
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,524
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
It admittedly does get increasingly difficult to pretend that the team's name does not have some other connotation. And the really cold fact is that, because Native Americans have been so marginalized in our society (once their society), that the offensiveness passes unnoticed because there is really no one around to hear the tree fall in the forest. Naturally, a name that gave that kind of depiction to Blacks or Puerto Ricans like me would get shouted down because there are enough people in that constituency with enough of a relevant voice sure to tell society that that is unacceptable.

Couple of ironies though. One is that the fact is that when you say the word "Redskins" in so-called mainstream U.S. society, what people think of first IS the football team, and NOT the ethnic group. Another is that research that an area law firm has done on behalf of the Danster reveals that Native Americans themselves throughout the years at all levels of sport have themselves named their teams Redskins. Plus there were the results of that Sports Illustrated poll I had posted earlier.

When people talked about "niggers" that word was laced with hatred and a misguided superiority at the time it was being said, with violence, lynchings, separate restrooms, back of the bus, you name it. But when we say the word Redskins today, there is no associated hatred or sense of supremacy vis a vis Native Americans; the word comes out of the mouth without any associated negative baggage. Sure, it is the same "word," but the substance is not the same at all. The prevailing argument is that we should dispense with the word because it is offensive and does not represent our society today. But since we know that it does not represent today's society, then the alleged offensive substance of the word has already been rendered meaningless ! Even on the team itself, I don't remember anyone thinking Mark Rypien was dumb or reviled as the quarterback because he was Native American; of course not. So, where is the real offensiveness? What was that we learned in school, "sticks and stones may break my bones..."

During the first Joe Gibbs era, and hopefully this one, as far as the Washington Redskins were concerned specifically to be called a "true Redskin" was a badge of honor in the sports world and in the local community, as it stood for humble guys who worked hard on the field with great teamwork and gave to the community off of it. It was hardly disparaging at all and really had nothing to do with offending Native Americans b/c again, Redskin conjured up the image of Darrell Green, not Sitting Bull.

As minority, I sometimes feel a bit perplexed that minorities in the U.S. would look so quickly to self-identify as hyphenated, and to marginalize themselves by choosing to direct their collective energy to take up the cause of being offended by labels and semantics.

There is oppression; there is discrimination; there is racism, yes yes yes, these are sad facts for which work still remains to be done. But for all the truly disadvantaged, it's guys like me, that through some dumb luck did happen to land at a good university, with all the same opportunities and advantages as those that are considered the not disadvantaged. And with that in front of us, placed on a level playing field, it just seems like the biggest disservice to the people that we claim to be outraged on behalf of, if what we did then is run ourselves off the road by grieving about offensive names, when we actually were being given the opportunity, not to protest outside the system or even grieve within it trying to advocate for our allotted "portion," but to truly become part of it, be the system itself, sit at the head of the table and reform and redefine it.
I've tried to not touch this subject with a 10-foot pole, but you said it exactly how I was brewing it up in my mind. Even though I'm not a minority in the racial sense, I still know what you're talking about because everyone is a minority in some way, shape or form.

Indeed, there are more pressing issues that need to be resolved in the world without having to concetrate what TAFKAS very well stated "Sticks and Stones"
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #68
Impact Rookie
 
ST21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 519
Re: This again

Cpayne....Nobodys playing the race card.....that quote came from the Washington post that I copied, those are not my words.....
ST21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #69
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewhite3
Cpayne....Nobodys playing the race card.....that quote came from the Washington post that I copied, those are not my words.....
It was clear that you didn't write it. But, by posting it (and from your other posts), you seem to be trying to relate the term 'redskins' as used in context of the Washington Redskins to the use of the terms "blackies" or "spics". That comparison just does not apply here.

I smell a nice big helping of question 3 cooking in the oven ...
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #70
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,524
Re: This again

Oh boy, here we go again...
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #71
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewhite3
First I don't have to play the race card because I am a minority, and second that quote that you so easily read came from your news paper, the Post...anything that offends a group of people is offensive, If you don't get that then your part of the problem now, why native americans are offended...
For one thing, when you quote something or someone, you should properly cite them, but that doesn't have anything to do with what I originally said.

You are playing the race card because you tried to compare the Washington Redskins with 'blackies' and 'spics'. You can play the race card no matter if you are a minority/ majority or even what side of the fence you are on in this matter.

Anything can be offensive under your definition.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #72
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: This again

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
Well, it costs the team millions of dollars for one thing...even if the only thing you have to change is the name and not the symbols or colors. Personally, after thinking about this, I could live with a name change as long as it was related...maybe something like the Warriors, Seminoles, or change it back to the Braves. I could live with the team changing the symbol back to the spear and feather.

Wewhite2: When I say more important issues in this world, I'm talking about American jobs leaving our country, the high cost of gas and oil, fighting diseases. If you're going to pull the racial card out, you'd better accept the fact that racism isn't completely spawn from white people. I have been a near victim of a racial crime in my lifetime through no fault of my own. Racism is an ignorant thing, no doubt...but it's just as ignorant to assume that only one race is guilty of it.
The word Warriors is also offensive to this group. Any term our phrase reffering to Native Americans is offensive to them. They want to make it illegal to do the warrior chop at sporting events. If the name was truly offensive I would agee 100% to have it changed. I can not speak for Native Americans but I do not see Redskins as an offensive word. They had a demonstration at rfk years back and only one person showed up and if thats any indication then it must not be a big issue with Native Americans.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #73
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,220
Re: This again

A few years ago my first day on the job the first guy I met I was somewhat interested about because he had a massive Redskins logo tatooed on his calf. Turns out he's 1/2 cherokee. He obviously didn't find it offensive.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #74
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: This again

It's quite funny we're talking about Native Americans.....if you are born in this country, aren't you Native to the country? Logic would say yes, therefore, all of us on this board who were born in these United States are Native Americans.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #75
Impact Rookie
 
ST21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 519
Re: This again

now were all equal...........LOL
ST21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36611 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25