Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,635
Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Sure it was a terrible performance and we've seen the struggles RG3 has endured as we have switched systems to a new offense. Watching that performance its easy to knee jerk and start the doom and gloom predictions to the season. We all saw the game thread, its funny to go back and read, especially Saden posts...but lets look at the big picture.

Its preseason, this doesnt count. Seriously.

New offense. Folks need to remember we havenít installed the entire offense yet. You saw it Saturday, no rollout, boots, play action, screens, etc. All the strengths of RG3 passing game we didnít get a look at. Gruden knows this and will build the game plan around these strengths as the Third becomes a more comfortable pocket passer. Also, Alfmo and the running game will be the focus of the offense, just as it was when we won the division.

The offense has strongest skill players since the Posse, Byner years. We have guys who can do nothing but take the pressure off RG3 and Gruden will design to get the ball to these guys one way or the other. Remember we are going up against some bad defenses in the East too.

Our Special Teams and Defense look much better. Better field position, less pressure on the offense. Im really excited what im seeing from those 2 units.

With RG3 we are not talking about an unproven guy. Have a little faith, like it or not we did win the division just 2 years ago with this guy winning big games down the stretch to get us in. This isnt a guy who hasnt shown folks.

We need to be patient and let Gruden develop RG3 as the pocket passer. Are we that dumb to be giving up on RG3 now? Some of the stuff in the game day thread was bs and who ever gave a shit with Thiesmann thought? Come'on man.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Camp Scrub
 
HoustonSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 55
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Remember, Theismann is no Norman Einstein.
HoustonSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Special Teams
 
Jayroc24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 315
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

While I agree that RG3 has not as good as I had hoped for in the preseason, I do believe we need to give him some more time to get it all together.
After watching the game the following Sunday, he did miss some wide open targets and scrambled when he should have hung there and ran out of bounds with the damn ball in his hands instead of throwing it away.......
Sorry kind of went on a mini rant.

This season should tell us if he can continue to learn as he goes along.

There was alot of mistakes that he made, let's see if he gets better each week.
I did not think that the O line was as bad on Sunday.... Ravens have a pretty stout front four.
Can he learn to stop running out of the pocket and be confident in his throw?

He might be just over thinking every thing..... only time will tell.
Jayroc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,635
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Co Worker just arrived and first thing he said was "start Cousins"

RG3 isnt trusting his eyes and he is a lil late on his throws.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,064
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Listen to Jaws and you'll feel better.
"It is Roberts team.... Until he is a complete failure and that won't be happening. He is extremely talented QB. Gruden is working with him to rework his style of play. Gruden will get it done. He will be very successful in this league for a long time"!!
"It will take a little time to transition"
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,660
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned and being critical is far from hitting the panic button. Missing wide open receivers, running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, taking bad hits and doing things like jumping in the air on passes are inexcusable from even rookie QBs. Jumping on passes. Really?

I think most fans can deal with rust and growing pains, but what we've seen this pre-season is pure amateurism. Not hitting the panic button just yet, but definitely concerned and definitely not 100% positive we will see a drastic turnaround in 2 weeks.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,635
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Listen to Jaws and you'll feel better.
"It is Roberts team.... Until he is a complete failure and that won't be happening. He is extremely talented QB. Gruden is working with him to rework his style of play. Gruden will get it done. He will be very successful in this league for a long time"!!
"It will take a little time to transition"
But we dont have time! Just the last 23 years...
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,500
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Sure it was a terrible performance and we've seen the struggles RG3 has endured as we have switched systems to a new offense. Watching that performance its easy to knee jerk and start the doom and gloom predictions to the season. We all saw the game thread, its funny to go back and read, especially Saden posts...but lets look at the big picture.

Its preseason, this doesnt count. Seriously.

New offense. Folks need to remember we havenít installed the entire offense yet. You saw it Saturday, no rollout, boots, play action, screens, etc. All the strengths of RG3 passing game we didnít get a look at. Gruden knows this and will build the game plan around these strengths as the Third becomes a more comfortable pocket passer. Also, Alfmo and the running game will be the focus of the offense, just as it was when we won the division.

The offense has strongest skill players since the Posse, Byner years. We have guys who can do nothing but take the pressure off RG3 and Gruden will design to get the ball to these guys one way or the other. Remember we are going up against some bad defenses in the East too.

Our Special Teams and Defense look much better. Better field position, less pressure on the offense. Im really excited what im seeing from those 2 units.

With RG3 we are not talking about an unproven guy. Have a little faith, like it or not we did win the division just 2 years ago with this guy winning big games down the stretch to get us in. This isnt a guy who hasnt shown folks.

We need to be patient and let Gruden develop RG3 as the pocket passer. Are we that dumb to be giving up on RG3 now? Some of the stuff in the game day thread was bs and who ever gave a shit with Thiesmann thought? Come'on man.
I agree but there will be several instances where he's going to have to drop back, scan the field and beat the defense on 3rd and 8. I do think we all need to wait and see until week one before we hit the panic button. But what my eyes are telling me is that RG3 has a long way to go. Some of the things we saw Sat are the same things we saw last year.

Also the patience thing doesn't work for me. It's his 3rd year. Everything is in place for RG3 to go out and have a great year. If Nick Foles can have a great 2013 then why can't RG3??? Is Nick Foles better? I sure as hell hope not.

One last thing too, it's time to let go of 2012. Different system, different coaches. RG3 doesn't want to run that offense. I don't blame him. But it's time for him to go out and prove that he can run the offense we need him to run.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,685
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

My thought on his struggles are this, it's preseason and Gruden is using his time with RG III in the game to work on the things that he is the least comfortable doing. Like Chico said, we have yet to see a game in which Gruden has designed the game plan around Robert's strengths.. Let him work on his weaknesses now and not fly off the handle with the Cousins talk or split reps with the ones.. That's worked great for CLE.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,753
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

People need to realize the difference between playing to win (regular season) and playing to evaluate (preseason).

Everything changes once the bullets are live. Game planning and play calling are completely different when the games count.

Does anyone really think Gruden is showing anything right now? Or that he's not going to put Griffin in calls that he's comfortable with and able to execute well once the games count?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,689
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

If STL gave you two first round picks today for RGII? Would you take it?
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,685
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
People need to realize the difference between playing to win (regular season) and playing to evaluate (preseason).

Everything changes once the bullets are live. Game planning and play calling are completely different when the games count.

Does anyone really think Gruden is showing anything right now? Or that he's not going to put Griffin in calls that he's comfortable with and able to execute well once the games count?
My point exactly.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,660
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

BTW, I'm not clamoring for Kirk Cousins, but it's funny how everyone assumes RG3 just needs time to develop and KC has somehow already peaked in his 3rd year and will never get any better. Who's to say he can't fix the turnover problem and evolve into a pretty good starting QB. Can't he at least get to the Alex Smith level?
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
Evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 648
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Cousins is a decent backup QB going against 2nd and 3rd stringers, what happens when Aldrick plays against starters?

RG3 looks like crap right now, and if he is a bust, they don't have much at QB.
__________________
Chris Russell: "To clarify point I made on @ESPNRadio980 - clearly Mike Shanahan wanted Peyton Manning in '12. He also very much desired Russell Wilson."

Mike Shanahan never was able to get the players he wanted, lets all cry for him.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,689
Re: Why I'm Not Gonna Panic About Our QB

Interesting quote from King's MMQB today.

There is a saying on the whiteboard in Rams general manager Les Sneadís office. ďBuild to dominate using Redskin picks!Ē it reads. The Rams made the mega-trade with Washington in 2012 that allowed their NFC neighbor to draft Robert Griffin III. The Rams, meanwhile, thought they had their quarterback of the future, and didnít draft one until the sixth round this year in SMUís Garrett Gilbert. And now those picks are gone.

Right now neither of these teams are loving life after that trade. I rather be the Skins then the Rams right now.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.24691 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25