Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


McCants: Your thoughts?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #31
Special Teams
 
RedskinsJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Connecticut
Age: 39
Posts: 128
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
I trust the judgement of Joe Gibbs on McCants...he knows more about the situation than we do...but I really felt too that McCants can contribute well for us. I do have a feeling though, that our starting trio will be Moss, Patton, and Jacobs.
Did you trust Gibbs judgement on Brunell?
__________________
Jimoh--- OH NO!
RedskinsJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #32
Special Teams
 
RedskinsJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Connecticut
Age: 39
Posts: 128
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Jacobs and Thrash were also drafted as WRs yet they play special teams. Look at that Lions game from last year, Thrash and Jacobs were the MVPs of that game as a direct result of their special teams play
Thrash played lights out that game and if it wasn't for him we would have been 5-11 instead of 6-10. But look at the Eagles after they bring in a T.O. for Thrash. HUGE difference in production. McCants needs to be on the field. Ramsey likes him, he makes catches and he finds seams in the D that our other WR have problems doing.
__________________
Jimoh--- OH NO!
RedskinsJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #33
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 8,270
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

We all say he didn't play special teams, but honestly, how much play time would Gibbs have given him if he had played special teams? Marginally more? I mean, Thrash and Jacobs played STs and hardly saw the WR position at all (I guess Thrash got a decent amount of snaps) but still. I don't think STs would have helped McCants onto the field. Part of that is running 2WR sets all the time.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #34
Special Teams
 
RedskinsJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Connecticut
Age: 39
Posts: 128
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
We all say he didn't play special teams, but honestly, how much play time would Gibbs have given him if he had played special teams? Marginally more? I mean, Thrash and Jacobs played STs and hardly saw the WR position at all (I guess Thrash got a decent amount of snaps) but still. I don't think STs would have helped McCants onto the field. Part of that is running 2WR sets all the time.
GREAT POINTS HERE... That is one of the most well thought out quotes I have read on this site.
__________________
Jimoh--- OH NO!
RedskinsJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #35
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,765
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsJunkie
Did you trust Gibbs judgement on Brunell?
I certainly did! Why shouldn't I have? The man knows how to win championships. Are you telling me that we shouldn't trust his judgement because of the Brunell situation? Because of Brunell, the rest of Gibbs' resume is bunk?
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:14 PM   #36
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,115
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsJunkie
Thrash played lights out that game and if it wasn't for him we would have been 5-11 instead of 6-10. But look at the Eagles after they bring in a T.O. for Thrash. HUGE difference in production. McCants needs to be on the field. Ramsey likes him, he makes catches and he finds seams in the D that our other WR have problems doing.
I don't disagree with what you say. And I really feel that McCants should be out there on the field, especially because he seems to have good chemistry with McCants. However, I think that Jacobs is well ahead of McCants on the depth chart going into this season and that's because the past season Jacobs put in the effort on special teams and in practice. Something that Darnerien allegedly didn't do.

If it were up to me they'd both be getting major minutes at WR. All I'm saying is that I have a feeling that Gibbs is seeing things another way
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #37
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

I have aquestion. Are we all asuming that McCants did not play special teams because he didn't want to, or did he just not fit the bill talent wise to play special teams? Facts and thoughts are welcome.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #38
Special Teams
 
RedskinsJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Connecticut
Age: 39
Posts: 128
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
I certainly did! Why shouldn't I have? The man knows how to win championships. Are you telling me that we shouldn't trust his judgement because of the Brunell situation? Because of Brunell, the rest of Gibbs' resume is bunk?
No! What I am saying is even Gibbs can make mistakes and that was a HUGE one. OUr year would have been completely different if Ramsey started from day one. His first two starts were against Philly and Pittsburgh on the road??? I am just saying that Gibbs puts a lot into character and Ramsey and McCants are definitely not on his good side, but both were better options last year than the players that Gibbs played. McCants at worst last year should have been the number 3 WR.
__________________
Jimoh--- OH NO!
RedskinsJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #39
Special Teams
 
RedskinsJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Connecticut
Age: 39
Posts: 128
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I don't disagree with what you say. And I really feel that McCants should be out there on the field, especially because he seems to have good chemistry with McCants. However, I think that Jacobs is well ahead of McCants on the depth chart going into this season and that's because the past season Jacobs put in the effort on special teams and in practice. Something that Darnerien allegedly didn't do.

If it were up to me they'd both be getting major minutes at WR. All I'm saying is that I have a feeling that Gibbs is seeing things another way
I agree with you BIG TIMe on that. Both WR should be in the game. Last year when finally Gibbs put McCants in the game they just flew down the field with him catching the majority of Ramseys passes. He must have done something in practice to upset Gibbs...
__________________
Jimoh--- OH NO!
RedskinsJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #40
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
I certainly did! Why shouldn't I have? The man knows how to win championships. Are you telling me that we shouldn't trust his judgement because of the Brunell situation? Because of Brunell, the rest of Gibbs' resume is bunk?

He know's how to coach championship's, where does his creditabilty lie as far as building a championship? That honor until PROVEN otherwise belong's to Bobby Beathard. Gibbs has not proven he can evaluate championship calaber talent, in fact he has so far proven otherwise, and you can start in 92' with the drafting of 1 Desmond Howard! And I will say this, he went far, far, far, out on a very thin limb for Campbell.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #41
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 8,270
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
I have aquestion. Are we all asuming that McCants did not play special teams because he didn't want to, or did he just not fit the bill talent wise to play special teams? Facts and thoughts are welcome.
I do believe Gibbs said that it was hard to carry 5 WRs and especially any that didn't want to play special teams. This was during a press conference where someone asked about McCants.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:35 PM   #42
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,765
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
He know's how to coach championship's, where does his creditabilty lie as far as building a championship? That honor until PROVEN otherwise belong's to Bobby Beathard. Gibbs has not proven he can evaluate championship calaber talent, in fact he has so far proven otherwise, and you can start in 92' with the drafting of 1 Desmond Howard! And I will say this, he went far, far, far, out on a very thin limb for Campbell.

Well, Bobby Beathard is retiring as the Chargers' GM, so I say if what you say is true, then Snyder has an opportunity to gain a valuable GM.
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #43
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,115
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Beathard retired a long time ago (five years maybe) as GM of the Chargers. Lately he's been consulting with the Falcons I think.

I find it hard to believe that Gibbs just sat idly by while Beathard put the team together. He must have had some say. And everybody has misses. It's not like Desmond Howard was some major project that Gibs took a gamble on in the first round. I don't remember exactly but a lot of teams I'm sure wanted him.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #44
Registered User
 
offiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: sparta, new jersey [ northern jersey ]
Age: 50
Posts: 3,097
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Beathard retired a long time ago (five years maybe) as GM of the Chargers. Lately he's been consulting with the Falcons I think.

I find it hard to believe that Gibbs just sat idly by while Beathard put the team together. He must have had some say. And everybody has misses. It's not like Desmond Howard was some major project that Gibs took a gamble on in the first round. I don't remember exactly but a lot of teams I'm sure wanted him.

We traded 2 #1's to move up and take him, and I can say this I was yelling at that pick almost as much as I was yelling about Campbell, but we can see a trend here, overpaying for undervalued talent.

You are correct Tafkas he didn't sit idly by and that's why Beathard left, he was tired of Gibbs wanting vet's when he could bring in youth through the draft much cheaper, and probably as good or better, it's no coincidence that Gibbs left when he did, he used 2 #1's on a waste of a WR, and then jumped ship leaving us with an ageing team on it's way out.

And if you want to see a real pattern forming, when he traded up to get Desmond we needed defensive line help bad, primaraly tackles, WR wasen't a neccessity at the time, and he threw away 2#1's to upgrade his offense as we watched our D-line basically disapear the following year. Sound's a little like our draft this year doesn't it?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:50 PM   #45
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,765
Re: McCants: Your thoughts?

Can you post the interview where Beathard said this about Gibbs?
__________________
"Fire Up That Diesel!"
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29577 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25