Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


New Look Defense

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #31
Playmaker
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,218
Re: New Look Defense

Post Draft:

Pass Rushing Situation DL:

Kerrigan-Hatcher-Paea-Preston Smith

or

Kerrigan-Smith-Hatcher-Murphy/Trev Williams
__________________
I looked at it as, if I wasnít good enough to go on the first day, Iím gonna get in the gym tonight and prove that Iím good enough to myself..Iím all about work.S'ua #36
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #32
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 30
Posts: 19,999
Re: New Look Defense

I'm worried about our pass rush next yr, I believe we will be much better against the run but we really only have 1 true pass rusher in RK.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #33
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 9,834
Re: New Look Defense

I think a combination of Murphy/Smith will be just fine (till Smith wins the job). I like what I've seen on film from Smith.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,218
Re: New Look Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'm worried about our pass rush next yr, I believe we will be much better against the run but we really only have 1 true pass rusher in RK.
I understand the view point of only having '1 true pass rusher' but I think the additional pieces are going to make the overall pass rush much, much better then last year and create a situation where a complementary pass rusher can emerge opposite Ryan (who I consider a top 5 OLB).

Paea 8.7 PRP (pass rush productivity) adds 31 hurries, 11 QB hits and 5 sacks to the team

Murph (6.9 PRP) had 15 hurries, 6 QB hits and 3 sacks playing about half the snaps a typical 34 OLB would...IF doubling his snaps equal doubling production 30 hurries, 12 hits and 6 sacks isn't a bad line for the #2 passing rushing OLB


Preston is a highly productive pass rusher in his own right. Granted its only college, but its the only measure we have right now but he had pass rush productivity of 11.1 which is really good. 307 snaps-24 hurries-8 QB hits-10 sacks.

Add the above three to an already good pass rushing duo:

Ryan-12.2 PRP -50 hurries-8 QB hits-13 sacks
Hatcher-9.1 PRP-26 hurries-5 QB hits-7 sacks

(Also you have 2 guys who were productive right away in limited snaps Trev Williams who physically is a small but fast pure speed rusher and Jeffcoat)

Last year's defense was tied for 21st in sacks with 36; with the pieces Scott added I expect an improvement (5-10 spot jump)
__________________
I looked at it as, if I wasnít good enough to go on the first day, Iím gonna get in the gym tonight and prove that Iím good enough to myself..Iím all about work.S'ua #36
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #35
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 30
Posts: 14,558
Re: New Look Defense

Our D-Line this year just looks like some nasty MFers.

__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

Someone needs to put McVay out of his misery.

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #36
The Starter
 
Kindoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 1,013
Re: New Look Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I understand the view point of only having '1 true pass rusher' but I think the additional pieces are going to make the overall pass rush much, much better then last year and create a situation where a complementary pass rusher can emerge opposite Ryan (who I consider a top 5 OLB).
Agreed. Kerrigan along with the added big guys eating up blocks, improved (fingers crosses) secondary play and the duo of Murph/Smith should be able to generate a pass rush.

Can't think of too many teams off the top of my head with two "true pass rushers" anyways.
__________________
RIP 21
Kindoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #37
The Starter
 
Kindoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 1,013
Re: New Look Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Our D-Line this year just looks like some nasty MFers.

Our goal line DL of Hatcher / Baker / Knighton / Kearse / Paea is what's going to be nasty.
__________________
RIP 21
Kindoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #38
Playmaker
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,218
Re: New Look Defense

Preston Smith

6'5--271

40--4.71
10--1.60
Vert--34
Broad--10'01
3 cone--7.07

Miss St Stats:
27 TFL 16 Sacks


My comp for Preston...Michael Bennett
6'3--274

40--5.13/4.86
10--1.78/1.62
Vert--31
Broad--09'02

A&M Stats:
19.5 TFL 6.5 Sacks
__________________
I looked at it as, if I wasnít good enough to go on the first day, Iím gonna get in the gym tonight and prove that Iím good enough to myself..Iím all about work.S'ua #36
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #39
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 17,210
Re: New Look Defense

orakpo is a better comp if you're just comparing combine numbers.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,218
Re: New Look Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
orakpo is a better comp if you're just comparing combine numbers.
I'm comparing them more on playing style (take a look at the vid) and body type then combine numbers, I just threw those up for reference.

Smith played all over the DL like Bennett does. Lined up at DE or DT or as a stand-up rusher. They're physiques are similar and I would bet Scott has Bennett in mind when he sees Smith. I just posted the combine numbers for a common frame of reference; and they actually show that Smith is the better athlete and was a more productive college player between the two players.

When I see Smith I see a more athletic Bennett, hopefully he can come close to matching his Bennett's NFL production.
__________________
I looked at it as, if I wasnít good enough to go on the first day, Iím gonna get in the gym tonight and prove that Iím good enough to myself..Iím all about work.S'ua #36
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #41
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 30
Posts: 19,999
Re: New Look Defense

I'd compare Smith to another smith, Antonio smith. Or someone like an aldon Smith just not as athletic. Just MO. I just hope he's a good player and I believe he is
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #42
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 44
Posts: 88,968
Re: New Look Defense

Washington Redskins' Joe Barry: Dashon Goldson 'exactly what you want' - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

I wish we could sticky this for the next time someone gets their panties in a bunch over the 3-4 vs the 4-3...

On running the 3-4: "I was a 4-3 guy for years and then the last four years in San Diego, being involved in the 3-4. Thatís the thing people donít realize: Youíre in a base 3-4 about 15-18 snaps a game because the NFL has gotten to the point where itís a sub league, meaning theyíre in nickel personnel groups about 75 to 80 percent of the time. When youíre talking about a base 3-4 team or a base 4-3 team, thatís 20 percent of the game. The other 80 percent youíre in nickel, youíre in dime. So, no, I really donít get hung up and caught up in base 4-3 or base 3-4. I learned it. I really enjoyed it the last four years and itís a perfect fit here because we are built from a base defense to be a 3-4.Ē
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #43
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 40
Posts: 18,354
Re: New Look Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Washington Redskins' Joe Barry: Dashon Goldson 'exactly what you want' - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

I wish we could sticky this for the next time someone gets their panties in a bunch over the 3-4 vs the 4-3...

On running the 3-4: "I was a 4-3 guy for years and then the last four years in San Diego, being involved in the 3-4. Thatís the thing people donít realize: Youíre in a base 3-4 about 15-18 snaps a game because the NFL has gotten to the point where itís a sub league, meaning theyíre in nickel personnel groups about 75 to 80 percent of the time. When youíre talking about a base 3-4 team or a base 4-3 team, thatís 20 percent of the game. The other 80 percent youíre in nickel, youíre in dime. So, no, I really donít get hung up and caught up in base 4-3 or base 3-4. I learned it. I really enjoyed it the last four years and itís a perfect fit here because we are built from a base defense to be a 3-4.Ē
Good read. I'm really hoping we hit with this Barry hire....coming from haz, he seems like a breath of fresh air, certainly a different energy who seems like he wants these guys work hard off the field and just come to play football on Sunday. Haz squad sometime seemed mentally unprepared and seemed like he his scheme was more complicated than most. I just want our d to come out, play loose and with energy.
__________________
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Ė Winston Churchill
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #44
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: New Look Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Good read. I'm really hoping we hit with this Barry hire....coming from haz, he seems like a breath of fresh air, certainly a different energy who seems like he wants these guys work hard off the field and just come to play football on Sunday. Haz squad sometime seemed mentally unprepared and seemed like he his scheme was more complicated than most. I just want our d to come out, play loose and with energy.
........And pound the Shit out of every team they face
We need a guy who can't be stopped....like Manley...like Mann....like Butz
Maybe under the new regime, RK, or Smith....or PotRoast
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďGod made certain people to play football. He was one of them.Ē Ė Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #45
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,621
Re: New Look Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Washington Redskins' Joe Barry: Dashon Goldson 'exactly what you want' - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

I wish we could sticky this for the next time someone gets their panties in a bunch over the 3-4 vs the 4-3...

On running the 3-4: "I was a 4-3 guy for years and then the last four years in San Diego, being involved in the 3-4. Thatís the thing people donít realize: Youíre in a base 3-4 about 15-18 snaps a game because the NFL has gotten to the point where itís a sub league, meaning theyíre in nickel personnel groups about 75 to 80 percent of the time. When youíre talking about a base 3-4 team or a base 4-3 team, thatís 20 percent of the game. The other 80 percent youíre in nickel, youíre in dime. So, no, I really donít get hung up and caught up in base 4-3 or base 3-4. I learned it. I really enjoyed it the last four years and itís a perfect fit here because we are built from a base defense to be a 3-4.Ē
At this point who cares? Just stop someone on 3rd down and stop giving up so many big plays.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.12712 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25