Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Does character count?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #46
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,523
Re: Does character count?

First off, Winslow was on a bike that was way too much for a beginner to be trying to handle. Second, he was going way too fast for someone who was "learning", third, there are reports that he was spotted earlier in the day by a cop pulling wheelies on a main road.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...l/11558994.htm

He didn't even have his helmet strapped on. This wasn't the case of someone honestly trying to learn how to ride a bike, taking things slowly like you should, etc. I don't even wanna hear that crap.

I really don't understand why anyone would want to defend his actions. He made a piss poor decision. The Browns have millions of dollars invested in him. I'm sure his contract has some language in it pertaining to avoiding unnecessary risks like riding motocycles, I'm sorry but his horrible decision to act like a hot dog on a bike he can't handle has let his entire team down.

I think it's definitely appropriate to question his character after a string of horrible decisions leading up to his wreck. He's an even bigger meathead than Taylor.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #47
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 8,270
Re: Does character count?

Im not defending his actions - I think it's foolish to think someone has a bad character because of a mistake. Riding a motorcycle too fast at age 21... Amazing. Where's the "Who didn't do stupid thigns when they were young." post? The same one we see for every Redskins player. It was stupid without a doubt - it doesn't make him a bad person.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #48
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,523
Re: Does character count?

So what are you defending Daseal? That he's a nice guy??

You've said he was stupid for what happened, isn't that the basic point here?

Man, if this happened to LaVar or Taylor we would be having a field day. We already give both of them the 3rd degree for things like changing their numbers or speaking out in the press.

To me, his actions and words put his character in question. There's not much that he's done to make me think otherwise.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #49
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,683
Re: Does character count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
Weren't some of the people now bashing TO for his holdout and his "me first" attitude the same people supporting him in his "me first" touchdown celebrations? Does anyone else besides me think they are just two symptoms the same core problem? TO's deep and abiding love for himself.

Why does the NFL put up w/ TO type players? 'Cause fans want to see 'em. They want to watch them make athletic plays and then watch them dance. All the time focusing attention on themselves and not their teammates (Who was it who threw those 14 TD's to you, Owens? And for those dancing DE's, Who was it that ate up two blockers so you could get a clean shot at the QB?).

So the next time a player pulls some diva crap ON the field and you applaud/support or otherwise condone it; Don't bitch when they pull the same crap OFF the field.
I agree with that for the most part. TO wants people to eat his shit, and people do. I do agree that a lot of it has to do with the fans. I'm going to make a bold statement, completely without bias when I say that Redskins fans are some of the more intelligent, civilized fans of any team that I know of. I don't think that any of us would put up with or cheer for any TO dances in the end zone if we were unfortunate enough to have him on our team.

I would like to think that the majority of fans for every team would never want anyone like TO or Randy Moss.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #50
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,620
Re: Does character count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Im not defending his actions - I think it's foolish to think someone has a bad character because of a mistake. Riding a motorcycle too fast at age 21... Amazing. Where's the "Who didn't do stupid thigns when they were young." post? The same one we see for every Redskins player. It was stupid without a doubt - it doesn't make him a bad person.
Then I think you're going way too easy on someone who is paid millions and millions of dollars. The whole reason he's paid so much money is because the city of Cleveland is willing to pay so much to go see him play and help their team win. He hasn't just let down his teammates, he has let down the fans of the Cleveland Browns. When you're paid that much money, you're held to a higher standard. It's a fact of life.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #51
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,683
Re: Does character count?

I agree with both of you (if that's possible). I agree that people do stupid things when they're young. Taylor hasn't started off problem-free yet.

However, I agree with Schneed in the fact that you ARE held to a higher-standard when people are paying your million dollar salary.

I wouldn't want my politicians (just an example, I hate politicians) getting wasted every weekend or doing equally stupid actions that affect what WE pay them to do.

On the subject of character, I agree with Daseal that what he did doesn't make him a bad person. It's just like he is a patron son of Cleveland and that they should be disappointed in him, but not disown him.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #52
Special Teams
 
skin4Life28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 28
Posts: 447
Re: Does character count?

I just don't flat out understand all the haters for players like TO. Sure they are out for themselves and do things many just don't like. All of them have one quality that we can say we haven't had in awhile. That is that they win. Moss, R. Williams, T.O. they were always on a winning team and made there team better. Players like that are few and far between anything you will see. They are gamebreakers and are at the top of the league every year. They make people on the team better. Love em' or hate em', but you better resepct them cause odds are there gonna get theres. I am one of the few if not only one who has no problem with T.O. he is an amazing player and he can do whatever he wants in my opinion. As for KWII, so what he called out the redskins cause we didn't draft him. People here are way to uptight over this guy. Players have been calling out teams for years and years. Like Aaron Rodgeers calling out the Niners. It will always happen and will continue. I can't judge him cause he has only played like 1 and 3 quarters in his career. I'm sure I'll get some great replies. I know I am new school and a lot of ol' schoolers don't agree with it, but oh well.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #53
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,620
Re: Does character count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
I agree with both of you (if that's possible). I agree that people do stupid things when they're young. Taylor hasn't started off problem-free yet.

However, I agree with Schneed in the fact that you ARE held to a higher-standard when people are paying your million dollar salary.

I wouldn't want my politicians (just an example, I hate politicians) getting wasted every weekend or doing equally stupid actions that affect what WE pay them to do.

On the subject of character, I agree with Daseal that what he did doesn't make him a bad person. It's just like he is a patron son of Cleveland and that they should be disappointed in him, but not disown him.
Yeah I think you sum it up well, MC. I don't mean to say that Kellen Winslow can't be forgiven. He made a dumbass decision with the bike riding. But if I were a fan of the Cleveland Browns, I'd love him if he came back and worked hard when he was healthy next time, and stayed off the motorbikes. If you learn from your mistakes and bad decisions, and do your best to make things right, I can forgive anyone.

In the same vein, I'm irked at Sean Taylor right now for not being at workouts. I think he should be there. But if he comes to camp in shape, works hard in training camp, stays humble, and lays some wood on the Dallas Cowboys this year, I not only won't have a beef with him anymore, but he'll be my friggin hero.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #54
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,719
Re: Does character count?

According to Dan Patrick, a few minutes ago, there is reasonable possibility that KW2 is done for the year with a torn ACL
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #55
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,683
Re: Does character count?

I don't think that anyone disagrees that Moss and TO are great players. I DO think that they are cancer to an organization and over-all shitheads. Yes, the respective teams they have been on HAVE been winners. Haven't the Eagles made it to the NFC championship the past 3-4 years without him? I also don't recall the 49ers being Super Bowl contenders while he was there.

Minnesota became good all at once and I'm sure a lot of it can be attributed to Randy Moss, BUT I think it's a little too early to say that he was the only playmaker Minnesota had. We'll see how the Vikes do this year and then that decision can be made...

However, having a good team around you is what makes you a good team. You can have players like TO and Randy and they give you that added depth. They aren't simply the only reason that a team is good or great.

A lot of people will argue that TO put the Eagles over the hump this year. I disagree. They've been winning the NFC East for years now and they still made it over the metaphoric hump (NFC Championship game) without the help of TO. It wasn't even the offense that was essential to that game. The defense is who shut down Michael Vick.

In the end, teams don't NEED a TO or Randy Moss. There are plenty of bonafied playmakers out there who are classy enough and don't cause dissention among the ranks.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #56
Camp Scrub
 
Grayacre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington
Posts: 35
Re: Does character count?

I guess I'm old school because I fail to see how being a great player on the field and at least a respectable person off of the field are mutually exclusive. To my weary old brain, it seems like players who do both (i.e. perform on the field and conduct themselves with some dignity elsewhere) should be the rule and not the exception.
Grayacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #57
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,683
Re: Does character count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Yeah I think you sum it up well, MC. I don't mean to say that Kellen Winslow can't be forgiven. He made a dumbass decision with the bike riding. But if I were a fan of the Cleveland Browns, I'd love him if he came back and worked hard when he was healthy next time, and stayed off the motorbikes. If you learn from your mistakes and bad decisions, and do your best to make things right, I can forgive anyone.

In the same vein, I'm irked at Sean Taylor right now for not being at workouts. I think he should be there. But if he comes to camp in shape, works hard in training camp, stays humble, and lays some wood on the Dallas Cowboys this year, I not only won't have a beef with him anymore, but he'll be my friggin hero.
Definitely. On that subject, Taylor BETTER show up to mandatory camps because it's not like they can even DO anything about his contract until August 1st anyway.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #58
The Starter
 
Riggo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Age: 41
Posts: 2,389
Re: Does character count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin4Life28
I just don't flat out understand all the haters for players like TO. Sure they are out for themselves and do things many just don't like. All of them have one quality that we can say we haven't had in awhile. That is that they win. Moss, R. Williams, T.O. they were always on a winning team They make people on the team better. Love em' or hate em', but you better resepct them cause odds are there gonna get theres. I know I am new school and a lot of ol' schoolers don't agree with it, but oh well.
The 49ers had some winning teams with T.O? Yea right, they sucked! And I don't remember the Saints or Dolphins being that great with R.Williams. What has Randy Moss done for the Vikings? Besides putting up #'s that make him look good?I think the Vikings got to one NFC championship game with Randy. And that was in his rookie year with Cris Carter mentoring him. Once it was his team the Vikings sucked in big games.
You can have your new school me me players. I will take the blue colar not so flashy hard working team player any day of the week.
__________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Riggo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #59
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,620
Re: Does character count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
I don't think that anyone disagrees that Moss and TO are great players. I DO think that they are cancer to an organization and over-all shitheads. Yes, the respective teams they have been on HAVE been winners. Haven't the Eagles made it to the NFC championship the past 3-4 years without him? I also don't recall the 49ers being Super Bowl contenders while he was there.

Minnesota became good all at once and I'm sure a lot of it can be attributed to Randy Moss, BUT I think it's a little too early to say that he was the only playmaker Minnesota had. We'll see how the Vikes do this year and then that decision can be made...

However, having a good team around you is what makes you a good team. You can have players like TO and Randy and they give you that added depth. They aren't simply the only reason that a team is good or great.

A lot of people will argue that TO put the Eagles over the hump this year. I disagree. They've been winning the NFC East for years now and they still made it over the metaphoric hump (NFC Championship game) without the help of TO. It wasn't even the offense that was essential to that game. The defense is who shut down Michael Vick.

In the end, teams don't NEED a TO or Randy Moss. There are plenty of bonafied playmakers out there who are classy enough and don't cause dissention among the ranks.
Great post, every word of it. A lot of times the guys who act selflessly don't find themselves in the spotlight, because they're not out promoting themselves and demanding more passes thrown to them. I think David Patten can be pretty big for us, NE just had too many receivers up there, and he knew it. He just kept quiet and kept working hard, doing what he could to win. He's the kind of guy I can really really root for, class act all the way.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #60
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,683
Re: Does character count?

If any of you listened to that radio address with Moss, he made it pretty apparent it was ALL Rosenhaus who suggested he hold out.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.51960 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25