Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #16
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 1,340
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
This thing about needing a big WR is overrated anyway. What good did he do us the last few years??

Production is the key, not size.
Agreed, and if anybody really thinks we NEED a big WR, we have one in McCants. Gardner is completely useless at this point.

My solution: Keyshawn him ala John Gruden. Don't cut him and let him re-sign with another team, don't trade him for essentially nothing, just tell him to stay home. Send a message.

Of course I would support cutting him if we can actually use his cap space to sign someone else........but I don't see us needing it right now.
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #17
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,731
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Anyone think that Moss will be sharing return duties?
I really doubt Gibbs would go for it unless it's a critical game or situation.

He's too fragile and too important to our WR corps to risk on returns.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #18
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21
Agreed, and if anybody really thinks we NEED a big WR, we have one in McCants. Gardner is completely useless at this point.

My solution: Keyshawn him ala John Gruden. Don't cut him and let him re-sign with another team, don't trade him for essentially nothing, just tell him to stay home. Send a message.

Of course I would support cutting him if we can actually use his cap space to sign someone else........but I don't see us needing it right now.
We need his cap space to sign our rookies, which include two first-rounders. We could make room by cutting Barrow, Hall, Morton, or Gardner after June 1.

I think you can take it to the bank that Gibbs will cut Gardner after June 1. He's not all about screwing players over to send a message. He likes to let them go on to find other jobs, and do what's best for their careers. When he does that, it shows the players still on the team that Joe Gibbs is a man of his word and he's going to be honest and respectful, and treat you like a man. That goes a long way in gaining respect in the locker room, it's one of the biggest ways that Gibbs is able to unify the team so well.

He won't keep Gardner against his wishes. He'll cut him, take the cap room, and let Rod go do what he wants to do.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #19
Fight for old DC!
 
Redskins_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Falls Church, VA
Age: 36
Posts: 4,085
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

I say cut him, and move on. He doesn't want to be here so let him go. I definitely won't miss him.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #20
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,523
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I really doubt Gibbs would go for it unless it's a critical game or situation.

He's too fragile and too important to our WR corps to risk on returns.
True. I always forget about Brown. I hope Moss doesn't get hit TOO hard this year. I also forgot how fragile he was. Hopefully he'll just go deep and not have to worry about going over the middle...
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #21
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
True. I always forget about Brown. I hope Moss doesn't get hit TOO hard this year. I also forgot how fragile he was. Hopefully he'll just go deep and not have to worry about going over the middle...
See, I wonder if that's a misconception. Moss has been fragile in the past because of hamstring issues, not really because of hits he's taken. It's not like he's had injuries because he's been leveled while going over the middle, he has missed games because of pulled and strained hamstrings.

When you have bad hamstrings and they're sore, you might appear to be tentative while going over the middle because your legs hurt, and because you can't run in there with the same vigor you usually do.

I'm going to give him a chance to prove that he can go over the middle fearlessly. If his hamstrings are healthy and he starts pulling a Todd Pinkston in the middle of the field, then me and him are going to have words. But until I see that I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #22
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,523
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

If I remember correctly, I remember him being a little Pinkstonesque. My memory today is shaky at best because of Cinco de Mayo last night, BUT I do remember him being a little skiddish going over the middle.

I'm definitely going to give him a chance, because some people do complete 180s for the right team and coach.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #23
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Cutting Gardner would be stupid. The only reason Gardner was not traded was that the Redskins wanted a 3rd round pick for him and he is not worth that much. Had the Redskins been willing to accept a 4th round pick 2 months ago he would already be traded. The skins need to lower their demands and trade him. I would rather have a 4th round pick then nothing. If no trade is available I would let him hold out before cutting him.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #24
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
Cutting Gardner would be stupid. The only reason Gardner was not traded was that the Redskins wanted a 3rd round pick for him and he is not worth that much. Had the Redskins been willing to accept a 4th round pick 2 months ago he would already be traded. The skins need to lower their demands and trade him. I would rather have a 4th round pick then nothing. If no trade is available I would let him hold out before cutting him.
This is a good point because I think we'd get the same cap relief whether we cut him or traded him after June 1. Might as well get something for him even if it's a 7th rounder in the 2012 draft, just get something.

I disagree that if we can't trade him we should keep him around though. Cut him and let him go. It would be stupid in light of the team's rejection of 4th and 5th round picks before the draft, but cutting him would be better than keeping a disgruntled player just to prove a point.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #25
Special Teams
 
dirtbag2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 293
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Gardner wasn't traded 'cause his demands for a contract were rediculous. I don't think It was because teams didn't want to give up a 3rd rounder.
dirtbag2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #26
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
This is a good point because I think we'd get the same cap relief whether we cut him or traded him after June 1. Might as well get something for him even if it's a 7th rounder in the 2012 draft, just get something.

I disagree that if we can't trade him we should keep him around though. Cut him and let him go. It would be stupid in light of the team's rejection of 4th and 5th round picks before the draft, but cutting him would be better than keeping a disgruntled player just to prove a point.
I don't think Gardner would sit out in a contract year and if proves to be a distraction he will only lower his value in the off season. He may actually play well this year since nothing motivates these guys more than money. The best case scenario is still to trade him for a 4th round pick and turn the page on the Rod Gardner era. I just can't cut a player that people had interest in trading for a couple months ago.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #27
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,524
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Gardner has seen obviously his worth in other teams' eyes and apparently to those teams, Gardner is not worth a third round draft pick.

So yeah, if you can get something out of him, trade him. Keep him IF he is willing to work with the team for a year, but Gardner has not showed any signs of being agreeable.

So, with Gardner not willing to work with Gibbs, you have to cut him.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #28
Special Teams
 
56FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MANASSAS VA
Age: 51
Posts: 323
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

let him go and then wait til he comes across the middle against the hammer(36)
then we can say na na nana hay hay hay goodbye!!!!!!1
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #29
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag2112
Gardner wasn't traded 'cause his demands for a contract were rediculous. I don't think It was because teams didn't want to give up a 3rd rounder.
There was no team willing to give up a 3rd round draft choice for Gardner. They should have taken a 4th and been done with it.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #30
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,731
Re: Gibbs Skeptical that Gardner Will Return

It's not as easy saying Gardner wasn't dealt simply because the Skins wouldn't settle for less than a 3rd round pick, Gardner is looking for a contract extension as well and that definitely threw a wrench in the works.

Probably a smart move by Gardner when you think about it. He'll likely be released and then he can control where he goes.

It's tough to trade a middle of the road player especially when he only has 1 year left on his current deal, and on top of that the likelihood he'll be released outright is so great.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30017 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25