Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Breaking News on team name

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #31
Special Teams
 
rocnrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 399
Re: Breaking News on team name

I have a friend who is a midget who is upset with a team named the giants..true story..he is trying to get a petition up! also didn't cowboys kill native americans ..seems like the native americans are after the wrong team! Also there are atheist who don't like a team called the SAINTS! And how many people did pirates and buccaneers and vikings kill back in the day?? point is somebody will always be offended. heck I am offended by washington the city (politics)..not the Redskin name.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #32
Special Teams
 
kingj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Age: 47
Posts: 226
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
I have a friend who is a midget who is upset with a team named the giants..true story..he is trying to get a petition up! also didn't cowboys kill native americans ..seems like the native americans are after the wrong team! Also there are atheist who don't like a team called the SAINTS! And how many people did pirates and buccaneers and vikings kill back in the day?? point is somebody will always be offended. heck I am offended by washington the city (politics)..not the Redskin name.

Exactly!
kingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:16 AM   #33
The Starter
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,187
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
I have a friend who is a midget who is upset with a team named the giants..true story..he is trying to get a petition up! also didn't cowboys kill native americans ..seems like the native americans are after the wrong team! Also there are atheist who don't like a team called the SAINTS! And how many people did pirates and buccaneers and vikings kill back in the day?? point is somebody will always be offended. heck I am offended by washington the city (politics)..not the Redskin name.
Yeah I hear ya, but I'm still on the lets just change the name side of the fence. (Also, I'd be surprised if your friend referred to himself as a midget. Little person, person with dwarfism. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but it is an outdated term)

That said, this game is fun:

Buffalo Bills - we nearly hunted the species into extinction, how can we exploit a species that humans have caused to be endangered threatened etc. Hell they're another native group that should be offended.
Bengals- see Buffalo Bills (not native to America though)
Bears- see Buffalo Bills
Broncos - glorifying the human eploitation of animals as property and forced labor.
Colts - see Broncos
Cowboys- see Broncos
Dolphins - see Buffalo Bills
Eagles - see Buffalo Bills
Falcons- see Buffalo Bills
Jaguars - see Buffalo Bills
Lions - see Bengals
Panthers- see Buffalo Bills
Rams - see Broncos
Seahawks - see Buffalo Bills, but also, ahem, I think you mean Osprey.

Seriously where the hell is PETA? WTF?

Titans - same as the Giants argument.

49ers - glorifying the exploitation of blue collar hard working Americans. Might as well name a team the Sweatshop workers.
Steelers- see 49ers

Chargers- named after credit cards, I am personally offended learning this. They are glorifying American materialism, and the exploitation of the American people by the banking industry and the cycle of debt that enslaves us.

Browns - Now that is a PC name. Just name your team after the color of the uniform. It is perfectly neutral. We could be the Burgandy and Gold. Done. All team names will be their colors.
__________________
You like that! You like that!
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,545
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
First all I was responding to it (the name) that it's not considered a slur.Second if you go back you will see I am on the side of Dan Snyder but feel that change will come so beat them to the punch.As Rushskins has said go with the R on the helmet and just call them the Skins or Washington ,you seem to ignore the facts so I won't get into the ignorance argument . I will say that no I'm not trolling just making a comment on a posting of a forum I happen to go on. Opinions happen.
And yet you continually miss the point that most people, including most NAs, don't consider "redskins" a slur. Especially in current usage (the football team).

And again, we have been though this before, with you claiming it was racist, and even trying to claim evidence that didn't even use the actual word in a racist way. And I called you on it then.

Instead you continue display your ignorance, whether it's genuine or trolling on your part. Ignorance is apparently an opinion too, so thank you for displaying it as a Giants fan, I actually appreciate that as a Redskins fan.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #35
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
First all I was responding to it (the name) that it's not considered a slur.Second if you go back you will see I am on the side of Dan Snyder but feel that change will come so beat them to the punch.As Rushskins has said go with the R on the helmet and just call them the Skins or Washington ,you seem to ignore the facts so I won't get into the ignorance argument . I will say that no I'm not trolling just making a comment on a posting of a forum I happen to go on. Opinions happen.
Actually "Skin" or "Skins" is a term used by Indians (for one another) when making the reference in a positive way........on the down low
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #36
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,211
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
And yet you continually miss the point that most people, including most NAs, don't consider "redskins" a slur. Especially in current usage (the football team).

And again, we have been though this before, with you claiming it was racist, and even trying to claim evidence that didn't even use the actual word in a racist way. And I called you on it then.

Instead you continue display your ignorance, whether it's genuine or trolling on your part. Ignorance is apparently an opinion too, so thank you for displaying it as a Giants fan, I actually appreciate that as a Redskins fan.

What is ignorant is not understand the other side of the argument.You say there is none so anyone who tries to explain it to you is in your words"ignorant"I feel sorry for you .As I have said before for this to be coming out now or even two years ago is HS and I actually back DS on this issue .Now for you to say the most NA's feel like you do or the word was never a racial slur is not correct believe me or don't it makes no difference to me all I'm doing is voicing my opinion in a forum. You say you called me on it and I threw it back at you .It's called an honest debate.

'Redskins' Is Officially a Dictionary-Defined Racial Slur—in All Cases - ICTMN.com


This one says pretty much what you and I both say!

Is 'Redskins' a racial slur? Blackfeet weigh in

and another...........

When Slang Becomes a Slur - The Atlantic

and last for now.

Washington Redskins trademark ruling: 8 ways 'Redskin' is a slur - POLITICO


Merry Christmas and Best of luck Sat!
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #37
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 10,220
Re: Breaking News on team name

Some of these posts are really fucking stupid. I can't believe some of these are done by adults, I feel like most of them are from college kids who think meat is murder and don't know shit.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #38
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
What is ignorant is not understand the other side of the argument.You say there is none so anyone who tries to explain it to you is in your words"ignorant"I feel sorry for you .As I have said before for this to be coming out now or even two years ago is HS and I actually back DS on this issue .Now for you to say the most NA's feel like you do or the word was never a racial slur is not correct believe me or don't it makes no difference to me all I'm doing is voicing my opinion in a forum. You say you called me on it and I threw it back at you .It's called an honest debate.

'Redskins' Is Officially a Dictionary-Defined Racial Slur—in All Cases - ICTMN.com


This one says pretty much what you and I both say!

Is 'Redskins' a racial slur? Blackfeet weigh in

and another...........

When Slang Becomes a Slur - The Atlantic

and last for now.

Washington Redskins trademark ruling: 8 ways 'Redskin' is a slur - POLITICO


Merry Christmas and Best of luck Sat!
Did you read your Blackfoot article? It is largely Pro-Redskin. If that is your position, you have done well. If yours is "slur" you may want to read the piece.......
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #39
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 50
Posts: 14,816
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
...
Browns - Now that is a PC name. Just name your team after the color of the uniform. It is perfectly neutral. We could be the Burgandy and Gold. Done. All team names will be their colors.
Aren't you afraid of offending those who are color blind?


Sent from my S6 Edge
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #40
Pro Bowl
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 5,006
Re: Breaking News on team name

The name change thing is just media fodder until the FCC deems Redskins a racial slur and threatens to fine broadcast networks for its use on their airwaves.

Money talks and if the NFL's TV contracts are at peril that will force the league's hand to make the team change the name.

Until and unless that happens, nothing to see here.
__________________
Paintrain's Redskins Fandom
1981-2014

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,211
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Did you read your Blackfoot article? It is largely Pro-Redskin. If that is your position, you have done well. If yours is "slur" you may want to read the piece.......
Please read what it is I wrote ,yes I am pro name and have said nothing different but don't tell me all NA aren't against it and don't tell me it was never a slur.Through times things change but All I started out to do was show both sides becuase in an open debate you must present both sides.

I posted the Blackfoot artical to show that even members of the same tribe are not in agreement on this thing,if you read the whole thing it's not largely it's about half.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #42
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,545
Re: Breaking News on team name

LOL, well now you are just plain adorable, giantone. And contradicting your earlier positions. But OK for fun let's take you at your word... glad you have seen the light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
What is ignorant is not understand the other side of the argument.You say there is none so anyone who tries to explain it to you is in your words"ignorant"I feel sorry for you .
No, I have said the "washington redskins name is racist" side is WRONG. And proven it to you before, your denials notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
As I have said before for this to be coming out now or even two years ago is HS and I actually back DS on this issue
Wonderful, DS' position is:

Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that he is adamant he doesn't have to bow to pressure to change his team's nickname because it's not disparaging to Native Americans but instead a term of honor and respect.


So I am glad we can agree on this, giantone!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Now for you to say the most NA's feel like you do or the word was never a racial slur is not correct
(underline mine) Oh for the love of... giant one, you can't get ONE POST done without contradicting yourself. BTW you dishonestly state my position as well. For starter, I NEVER SAID the term was "never" used as a slur. I have REPEATEDLY said that the name wasn't used originally as a slur, that novelists and movie-makers took the name and used it as a slur. (and btw they did the same to just about any nickname for NA's "indian" "injun" "chief" "red man" during that time period) Since then the name has been used as Dan Snyder described, by the Washington football team, and other teams including some NA teams!, as a name to root for, symbolizing strength, honor, and respect. And that's how the name is commonly used today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...9a2_story.html

And again giantone, poll after poll has proven most Americans and most NAs don't support changing the name "redskins".

Americans (including NAs)

NAs

More

All this, despite a long and vocal whine from the PC crowd of the easily offended which has been noted is mainly other ethnicities than NAs, is actually pretty remarkable this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
believe me or don't it makes no difference to me all I'm doing is voicing my opinion in a forum. You say you called me on it and I threw it back at you .It's called an honest debate.
Giantone, you did nothing but trot out the same already disproven assertions you tried before through proxy, by citing links already disproven. AND YOU LIED ABOUT MY POSITION ABOVE. I underlined it for everyone to see. Please don't ever call yourself an honest debater after this, not to mention way back when you lied during a gun control debate about what RedskinRat said, and about "not wanting to take you guns away" and then cheering a NY law that did just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone;1134054[url=http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/07/02/redskins-officially-dictionary-defined-racial-slur-all-cases-155614
'Redskins' Is Officially a Dictionary-Defined Racial Slur—in All Cases - ICTMN.com[/url]
Already refuted this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
This one says pretty much what you and I both say!

Is 'Redskins' a racial slur? Blackfeet weigh in
It MOSTLY says pretty much what *I* have said, not anything you have directly said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
and another...........

When Slang Becomes a Slur - The Atlantic

and last for now.

Washington Redskins trademark ruling: 8 ways 'Redskin' is a slur - POLITICO

Merry Christmas and Best of luck Sat!
And here we go again. giantone, these links oppose the position that Dan Synder takes on the name "Redskins". So which is it, giantone? Who's position do you REALLY support?


And by the way, you owe me an apology for lying about what I have said in this debate. And you did it in the same paragraph you claimed you were "throwing back" at me an "honest debate". Apologize.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:56 AM   #43
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,211
Re: Breaking News on team name

I apologize that you can't seem to understand an honest debate. I have said what I have said about this and I have been consistent .We agree to disagree on your perception of my opinion .
Enjoy your teams great victory and enjoy the fact that your team is the NFC East Champs and your trip into the post season.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #44
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,545
Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I apologize that you can't seem to understand an honest debate.
LOL. Another insult. (see above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I have said what I have said about this and I have been consistent .
Another lie. (See above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
We agree to disagree on your perception of my opinion .
Another lie about what I am saying. (See above) SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Enjoy your teams great victory and enjoy the fact that your team is the NFC East Champs and your trip into the post season.
And the usual platitude from you that you obviously don't mean, considering your continued lying the same post. LOL.

Not sure a better term for you is either "trolling" or with the way you posted links earlier "debating in bad faith", or "debating by proxy".

Whatever decription is best Giantone, your "apology" is kinda like if Odell Beckham tried acting like a good sport after the panthers game. Pretty transparent.

That's all, unless you want to re-hash the same refuted stuff. This is gonna seem so fake, but it's not: Happy Holidays, giantone.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:54 PM   #45
Impact Rookie
 
Zerohero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: phoenix, az
Age: 38
Posts: 804
Re: Breaking News on team name

I'm in Arizona now so i get to run into some Natives every now and then, also live by some reservations. You still see a lot of them going to Redskin games wearing their Redskin jerseys. Just had an old friend of the family visit thats works on a Hopi reservation near Flagstaff. She sees a lot of Redskin gear over there.
I remember the local news talking about protests at the game, but i didnt see any last year. I was tailgating most of day so i figured to see something.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.18720 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25